Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens LB Ray Lewis will sign a mutli-year deal with ESPN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Ravens LB Ray Lewis will sign a mutli-year deal with ESPN Reply with quote

Quote:
ESPN is on the verge of adding Ray Lewis to its talent lineup.

Multiple sources told SI.com the Ravens linebacker is close to signing a multi-year contract with the network. At ESPN, Lewis is expected to have a significant role on the network's Monday Night Countdown program. As with most ESPN NFL talent, Lewis would also be featured on multiple platforms, including ESPN Radio.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130103/ray-lewis-espn/?sct=hp_t2_a2&eref=sihp
Tom Brady Tribute
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? Wow. Didn't expect this...it's gonna be kind of weird not having Ray be a part of the Ravens organization in terms of coaching or anything. Oh well, good for him! I'm glad he's still going to be around the NFL.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp. Looks like I'm watching the world wide leader now. Sorry NFLN.

Best move of the offseason.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Welp. Looks like I'm watching the world wide leader now. Sorry NFLN.

Best move of the offseason.

Agreed. I think I'll be forced to watch them more now... but I wish Lewis would've resisted the dark side... I also wish this news would've waited until after the playoffs. I honestly feel like these 'sources' could've been much more respectful here and waited.

Not that it matters, but if I were Ray, having this info released so soon and without my say-so would turn me off from them... but at the end of the day, it's probably pretty difficult to argue with how much money they'll throw at him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Dam. Now I gotta watch him talk all the time about how much the Jets suck.

I would have preferred him on NFL Network (I find them a tiny bit less bias) but Ray is Ray so sorry NFL...
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boo. We don't get any ESPN football coverage over here, except for college football.

Hopefully this is premature 'news', with less substance than it sounds.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not happy with this news for a couple of reasons.

1) It probably means that he isn't going to go into any sort of coaching role any time soon

2) I don't get ESPN so won't be able to watch him. Gamepass (the NFLs version of Leaguepass that allows international fans to watch every game for a fee) doesn't include any pre-game stuff

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think Lewis would jump into coaching right away. From what we heard before he wants time to watch his son play for the Hurricanes (and I assume he'll be helping him out in some facet too) and taking a broadcaster role for the time being makes sense. I'm interested to see what exactly he'll be doing for ESPN.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
I didn't think Lewis would jump into coaching right away. From what we heard before he wants time to watch his son play for the Hurricanes (and I assume he'll be helping him out in some facet too) and taking a broadcaster role for the time being makes sense. I'm interested to see what exactly he'll be doing for ESPN.

Yeah, that's where I'm at.

And even when Lewis does move into coaching- I think he'll be more likely to move into coaching at the collegiate level... at least at first. We always here how Lewis grew up without a father and wanted to mentor young children and to be there for his sons... well, Lewis probably has at least 4 years for his son in college and... then potentially another 3-4 for his middle son. He probably will be taking a long break away and then depending on where his other child is... he could look to move into coaching at the collegiate level... actually he might look into doing that earlier. He could potentially become some sort of coach for his sons at the U... would make sense.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Ari Emanuel of William Morris Endeavor and Football Agent David Dunn can transition Ray Lewis to ESPN, there's more money in media than assistant coaching. Ray Lewis is a tremendous personality. Football Life attempted to answer questions about the 'incident'. The lack of discussion about the transgression is vital. ESPN is simply preying that doesn't become an issue.

Disney wouldn't allow Super Bowl MVP Ray Lewis to say "I'm going to Disney". Yet 10 years later, he's a featured personality on a network they own 80% of.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:
If Ari Emanuel of William Morris Endeavor and Football Agent David Dunn can transition Ray Lewis to ESPN, there's more money in media than assistant coaching. Ray Lewis is a tremendous personality. Football Life attempted to answer questions about the 'incident'. The lack of discussion about the transgression is vital. ESPN is simply preying that doesn't become an issue.

Disney wouldn't allow Super Bowl MVP Ray Lewis to say "I'm going to Disney". Yet 10 years later, he's a featured personality on a network they own 80% of.

Laughing
You know, I never thought of it from that angle until you just brought it up. That irony is stupendous... must be no hard feelings.

But really, there definitely is more money in media than an Assistant coach... at least for a personality like Ray. I can imagine he's getting paid six figures whereas an assistant coach just starting off might make something in the upper five figure range. I mean if the best HC's are making something like $4-5m/year... you'd have to think a LBer coach is only going to get paid something like 80-90k (only...) but I'd guess Lewis probably gets paid something like 100-150k just to do the MNF program and radio stuff. Plus he has more time on his hands to be a paid motivational speaker... and this all in addition to the fact that his current scheduling would best allow him the time to spend with his three sons as they age into manhood.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: