Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots release DL Brace, Promote WR Aiken, DB Williams
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cochise

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
That's a lot of recent 2nd round picks falling down the plughole now. This year we took Tavon Wilson...

Who would you rather have over Tavon Wilson?

Kendell Reyes DL

Casey Hayward CB

Rueben Randle WR
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochise wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:
That's a lot of recent 2nd round picks falling down the plughole now. This year we took Tavon Wilson...

Kendell Reyes DL

Casey Hayward CB

Rueben Randle WR

The list of people who I'd rather have over Tavon Wilson is quite substantial.

He showed next to nothing this year other than poor coverage ability and an ability to be in the right place when opposing QB's make horrifically brain-dead throws.
NinjaZX6R

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochise wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:

Kendell Reyes DL

Casey Hayward CB

Rueben Randle WR

Those two.
cochise

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
cochise wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:

Kendell Reyes DL

Casey Hayward CB

Rueben Randle WR

He showed next to nothing this year other than poor coverage ability and an ability to be in the right place when opposing QB's make horrifically brain-dead throws.

Well, who else? The 3 above are the only 2nd rounders picked after Wilson that I thought have shown ability.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochise wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
cochise wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:

Kendell Reyes DL

Casey Hayward CB

Rueben Randle WR

Well, who else? The 3 above are the only 2nd rounders picked after Wilson that I thought have shown ability.

Trumaine Johnson is a beast.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochise wrote:

Zach Brown
Jerel Worthy
Kelechi Osemele
Lavonte David
LaMichael James

Those guys didn't show ability?

What about the 3rd rounders? There are probably a dozen guys in the third who showed more:

Dwayne Allen
Trumaine Johnson
Josh Robinson
Olivier Vernon
Russell Wilson
Tyrone Crawford
Mike Martin
Mo Sanu
Bernard Pierce
Nick Foles
TY Hilton
Jayron Hosley

Now not all of those guys fit or were at positions of need (e.g. the QB's) but of the 46 guys taken in the 2nd and 3rd round after Tavon Wilson, a good third of them were demonstrably better or showed much better upside (if in more limited duty) and I'd say another third of them showed enough to think that they will be better uses of a 2nd round pick.

It's one thing (and a silly one at that) to bash the pick at the time because Wilson wasn't listed as a valuable prospect by the "experts." But we've seen a year of Tavon Wilson and he was thoroughly underwhelming. I didn't see any flashes of great upside that made me think "so THAT'S what Belichick saw that everyone else was missing."

There's still time for him to turn it around, but as of now it looks like a pretty bad pick (as does Bequette but that's for another thread)
Sciz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some really bizarre names on that list, most notably James, Crawford, and Sanu. None of the three really did much of note at all.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
There are some really bizarre names on that list, most notably James, Crawford, and Sanu. None of the three really did much of note at all.

LaMichael James beat the Pats with his kick return and showed a lot of promise as a multi-dimensional threat. Think the Pats couldn't use a kick returner in the playoffs?

Tyrone Crawford didn't put up big numbers, true, but when I saw him he looked like he was promising and certainly would have been more useful than Brace with solid upside.

Sanu looked to be developing into a decent possession #2/3 WR in Cincinnati before going down with an injury - pretty much the guy many of us thought he would be. The Bengals weren't really using him beyond 5 yards but that's IMO more of a function of Green and the scheme than anything he can or can't do. Think he wouldn't have been useful instead of the menagerie of old or crappy WR's the Pats have had?

I don't really see them as odd inclusions, certainly not James or Sanu. Crawford is a bit more of a personal preference but the Pats DL could use more depth and IMO he's more likely to become a solid starting caliber player than Tavon Wilson.

If you just looked at the stats, you'd probably think Wilson was a good 2nd round pick who contributed a lot this year. Going into the playoffs and next year, James and Sanu would be better (if they were healthy) and more useful pieces and Crawford might be (again, personal preference on him).
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this Tyrone Crawford talk made me have to dig up a bleacher report classic.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1189869-dallas-cowboys-tyrone-crawford-the-next-jason-pierre-paul

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochise wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:

Kendell Reyes DL

Casey Hayward CB

Rueben Randle WR

Is this even a question? Apart from the guys mentioned above, there's a whole host of guys in the 3rd and 4th (and beyond) who I'd take above him. We took a guy in the second when most didn't even foresee him being drafted, it was a bad pick at the time and it's a worse pick now we know it appears to be every bit the kind of talent mis-evaluation many suspected.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: