Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What do you guys think about Ilkin as O-line coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
Tunch has been around as a player and has the mental make up of a coach. The Steelers have had coaches on their team that coached 20 yrs and still they didn't amount to nothing. All I'm saying is that what's the worse that could happen L. Zeirlin? I don't think Tunch should have to go to the college ranks 3-4 yrs, get hired as a NFL asst OL coach 3-4 yrs, get promoted to OL coach 3-4 yrs before he gets a job. Teaching, instructing and coaching OL is something he's work around for 40 yrs.

C. Lake coached 1 yr at UCLA and he's doing just fine.

I'm not saying he would be terrible or that he couldn't succeed. But we don't know what his mental make-up would be as a coach or if he would be willing to do the grind of long long days as an assistant coach. There is a reason why some people don't come back to coaching after getting into broadcasting. Its not an easy task or easy transition. So that is why I would rather see someone accustomed to the grind and the teaching aspect.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
Tunch has been around as a player and has the mental make up of a coach. The Steelers have had coaches on their team that coached 20 yrs and still they didn't amount to nothing. All I'm saying is that what's the worse that could happen L. Zeirlin? I don't think Tunch should have to go to the college ranks 3-4 yrs, get hired as a NFL asst OL coach 3-4 yrs, get promoted to OL coach 3-4 yrs before he gets a job. Teaching, instructing and coaching OL is something he's work around for 40 yrs.

I'm not saying he would be terrible or that he couldn't succeed. But we don't know what his mental make-up would be as a coach or if he would be willing to do the grind of long long days as an assistant coach. There is a reason why some people don't come back to coaching after getting into broadcasting. Its not an easy task or easy transition. So that is why I would rather see someone accustomed to the grind and the teaching aspect.

It's never easy and if he got the job he would know that going in. But Tunch isn't foreign to the players and he watches a ton of film on this team. He's probably the safest bet as he's extremely familiar with the inner working of the team.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

It's never easy and if he got the job he would know that going in. But Tunch isn't foreign to the players and he watches a ton of film on this team. He's probably the safest bet as he's extremely familiar with the inner working of the team.

Yes....if he took the job he would know that, but I think what JD is trying to say is that it may be the reason he DOESNT take the job.

Broadcasting is a cushy gig. It would just depend if he wanted to coach and how much more money he would be getting.

For instance, for years people have talked about Cowher coming back to coaching, but he obviously likes where he is and Im betting he makes close to what alot of teams would offer him.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

Yes....if he took the job he would know that, but I think what JD is trying to say is that it may be the reason he DOESNT take the job.

Broadcasting is a cushy gig. It would just depend if he wanted to coach and how much more money he would be getting.

For instance, for years people have talked about Cowher coming back to coaching, but he obviously likes where he is and Im betting he makes close to what alot of teams would offer him.

I agree!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he is a good coach then sure, Kugler has to go. Makes no difference if ben wants to pass all the time though. Then again, maybe Ilking can teach them how to passpro because he was good himself ? If Ilkin can evaluate draft prospects and get another good player in the draft that will help. With Ilkin being from the old school of Noll, maybe he will be able to teach these guys how to runblock, because only Adams was really good at it . He could tell Pouncey how Dawson would have done this or that, and from what I have seen, he could tell "pro bowler" pouncey more than a few things.

I am all for getting the OL taken care of and if Ilkin can help, give it a try. I don't think they can do worse than they have in the tomlin era, both of his coaches sucked or the talent sucked, maybe both at times. Kugler got decent play out of these slobs for a bit, that was it. Maybe the players are the problem, but Pouncey hasn't progressed at all , he might have been better as a rookie. Is that the OL coaches fault? Not sure how this goes Arrow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: