Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A peek into Chip Kelly's Philosophy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger murdock

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would target someone like Scott or Boyd over Klien any day in the draft.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
I agree but you guys have to realize he does recruit mobile QBs for a reason. When they had no QB on the roster after Dixon left he used a bowling ball QB with a rocket arm (albeit inaccurate) in Masoli. He does like to have a running QB. But he has been quoted as sayign he doesn't run a Tebowesque system. He wants an actual thrower.

yeah he does that because IMO Chip Kelly know the Mobile QB is a lot more dangerous in college. Mobile QBs are majority the best athlete on the field at any moment in the college game. In the NFL they are not the best athletes. The athletic of LBs and DEs in the NFL are light years ahead than the DEs and OLBs in college.

Chip Kelly is a smart man, he knows a mobile QB works in College and knows that a mobile QB does not work in the Pros.

I wouldn't say a Mobile QB doesn't work in the Pros. The Eagles were successful (back in the day) with Randal Cunningham. In addition so where the Broncos with John Elway.

I think you mean a run first QB much like a Tim Tebow or Terrelle Pryor. A QB that is a better runner than a passer.
buno67

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BooyaCS wrote:
buno67 wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
I agree but you guys have to realize he does recruit mobile QBs for a reason. When they had no QB on the roster after Dixon left he used a bowling ball QB with a rocket arm (albeit inaccurate) in Masoli. He does like to have a running QB. But he has been quoted as sayign he doesn't run a Tebowesque system. He wants an actual thrower.

yeah he does that because IMO Chip Kelly know the Mobile QB is a lot more dangerous in college. Mobile QBs are majority the best athlete on the field at any moment in the college game. In the NFL they are not the best athletes. The athletic of LBs and DEs in the NFL are light years ahead than the DEs and OLBs in college.

Chip Kelly is a smart man, he knows a mobile QB works in College and knows that a mobile QB does not work in the Pros.

I wouldn't say a Mobile QB doesn't work in the Pros. The Eagles were successful (back in the day) with Randal Cunningham. In addition so where the Broncos with John Elway.

I think you mean a run first QB much like a Tim Tebow or Terrelle Pryor. A QB that is a better runner than a passer.

see now your age is catching up to you lol
Yeah Cunningham and Elway were good back in their time but IMO the NFL has completely change and that more of the better athletes are playing defense more and more.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger murdock wrote:
I would target someone like Scott or Boyd over Klien any day in the draft.

I would take Klein because he has the frame to last if he has to run the ball a couple times a game. He is a good runner for being 6'5 220+lbs. His size alone gives him a chance to be a better passer. I would like to draft Klein and have him sit a 2seasons or so

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
BooyaCS wrote:
buno67 wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:

see now your age is catching up to you lol
Yeah Cunningham and Elway were good back in their time but IMO the NFL has completely change and that more of the better athletes are playing defense more and more.

Yes but the threat that a QB can run. Look Roethlisburger looks like a freaking goat but he can "escape" the pocket when needed. Its not like he is sitting back there like Kosar trying to run the football.

A few more recent examples. Cam Newton, RG 3 (Although he may get killed by a defense soon). Russel Wilson, Jeff Garcia, Donovan McNabb (When he first came out), Everyone's favorite Jake Locker and Kirk Cousins.

Plenty of Qbs that are Mobile. I don't see Tim Tebow running an offense.
MetcalfUpMiddle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love what Kelly says in the end of that Urban Meyer video. "If we had a group of guys who could run the Power-I, we'd run the Power-I. I think he will adjust to his players.
fsubrowns9510

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
BooyaCS wrote:
buno67 wrote:
BooyaCS wrote:
Enjoy... Urban and Chip discussing offense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9fWpnxyUcU

watched that last night, I stumbled upon it...its pretty nice

The last thing Kelly says is telling. If I have the personnel to run the power I I will run the power I.

That's the biggest thing I like about Kelly, he isn't set in what he will run.

He is willing and able to adjust to the situation. Awesome

Ah yes. No more square peg round hole syndrome.

Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2011
candyman93

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron Rodgers is also very mobile
fsubrowns9510

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
BooyaCS wrote:
buno67 wrote:
BooyaCS wrote:
Enjoy... Urban and Chip discussing offense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9fWpnxyUcU

watched that last night, I stumbled upon it...its pretty nice

The last thing Kelly says is telling. If I have the personnel to run the power I I will run the power I.

That's the biggest thing I like about Kelly, he isn't set in what he will run.

He is willing and able to adjust to the situation. Awesome

Ah yes. No more square peg round hole syndrome.

Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2011
Bonanza23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone please find me that link to an eagles fishwrap that described how Kelly is willing to make adjustments?

Thanks to ReggieCamp on the sig
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thing no one thinks about. Could you use a less cerebral QB in a hurry up? NOw hear me out. You can't send in play calls thru the earpiece if there is less than 16 seconds on the play clock. It shuts off. If you go warp speed your OC/play caller can call in an audible if you are to the LOS fast enough, NO?

Sig bet
Bonanza23

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sincerely wish I could have seen more games from Tajh Boyd this year. Unfortunately there are only 3 games to watch on espn3. He seems like the perfect QB for Chip.

From This article:

Quote:
Iím sure heíd love to have an athletic QB like RG3, Russell Wilson, or Colin Kaepernick to run his full playbook, but the key for Kelly is to have a smart QB who is accurate. Jake Locker is a great athlete, but highly inconsistent passer. Tim Tebow is a big, strong guy, but didnít always make good reads when running the option. Those guys might drive Kelly a bit nuts.

Kelly is all about numbers. If he can make you worry about his passing game and leave fewer guys in the box, he will run. If you stack the box, he will throw. If you load up the outside, heíll attack the inside. And so on. This isnít rocket science. Kelly wants to see where you line up your defenders and then he will attack the weak spots. These basic principles already work in the NFL. Watch Brady and Manning at the LOS, looking over the defense. They want to attack the weak spots in the defense.

Now take a look at this break down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFwuohgivkk&list=PLSrXjFYZsRuMixvqQITgE1slsxjEanq25&index=16

Sounds like he's pretty good at pre-snap reading of defenses. Which is what Kelly wants from his QB. Add to that Chip recruiting him? Has me curious.

BBIB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BooyaCS wrote:

Vick is a better runner than he's a thrower just because as a runner he's the greatest runner of all-time at the position

If you want to use that definition.

And BTW, QB gets far too much credit anyway for winning rings considering that if people are honest with themselves they would admit that Eli Manning and Big Ben were not exactly elite level QBs when they won their first couple of rings, and Big Ben especially didn't play like an elite QB in that first Super Bowl

The best pass in the game came from Randle El for crying out loud
Bonanza23

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also from that same article, Chip started out having learned the WCO from Holmgren and Andy Reid. Adaptability? I love it. Can't wait to see what he implements. He very well could transition to his offense while running a hybrid type WCO. Hmmmm.....

This is looking to be a GREAT offseason.

Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonanza23 wrote:
I sincerely wish I could have seen more games from Tajh Boyd this year. Unfortunately there are only 3 games to watch on espn3. He seems like the perfect QB for Chip.

From This article:

Quote:
Iím sure heíd love to have an athletic QB like RG3, Russell Wilson, or Colin Kaepernick to run his full playbook, but the key for Kelly is to have a smart QB who is accurate. Jake Locker is a great athlete, but highly inconsistent passer. Tim Tebow is a big, strong guy, but didnít always make good reads when running the option. Those guys might drive Kelly a bit nuts.

Kelly is all about numbers. If he can make you worry about his passing game and leave fewer guys in the box, he will run. If you stack the box, he will throw. If you load up the outside, heíll attack the inside. And so on. This isnít rocket science. Kelly wants to see where you line up your defenders and then he will attack the weak spots. These basic principles already work in the NFL. Watch Brady and Manning at the LOS, looking over the defense. They want to attack the weak spots in the defense.

Now take a look at this break down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFwuohgivkk&list=PLSrXjFYZsRuMixvqQITgE1slsxjEanq25&index=16

Sounds like he's pretty good at pre-snap reading of defenses. Which is what Kelly wants from his QB. Add to that Chip recruiting him? Has me curious.

Wish I could more of him as well, because what I've seen has not been great.... However, look t the success Kelly has had with his his group of QBs at Oregon. I think Kelly's choice at QB is going to be very interesting...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: