Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Current 53 Man Roster (Week 16)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenney

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
kenney wrote:
Called it. We claimed Jonathan Grimes.

EDIT: We cut Mister Alexander to do it.

I wonder if this is just a temporary move until Ben Tate gets healthy when they will bring back Alexander. Or do they really plan on keeping Grimes instead.

I don't think they'll bring back Alexander. They have Ruud and Sharpton is two weeks away from coming off the PUP to the active roster or being IRed. If Grimes shines, it could mean we try and move Tate in the offseason.

Kubiak sounds pretty fed up with Tate's injury issues.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruud must be able to contribute this week, cause going into a game with 3 MLB is crazy!

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
11 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 2 ff
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update 11/3:

Mister Alexander cut
Johnathan Grimes signed
Ben Jones promoted to #1 RG

Who do we cut when Sharpton comes back?

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
kenney

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Update 11/3:

Mister Alexander cut
Johnathan Grimes signed
Ben Jones promoted to #1 RG

Who do we cut when Sharpton comes back?

I'd guess Ruud, or if Demps is really healthy and capable of playing with his previous workload, Nolan.
kenney

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this won't be a popular question, but...

... if Barwin finishes the season strong and we try to re-sign him, would anyone be okay with letting Quin walk and starting Demps?

PFF's plays per snap analysis made me think. Quin's been great, but I do think that this defense turns on having a strong rotation in its front seven. Demps is already our Nickel guy.

At least it's food for thought.
Marco79

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if Barwin finishes the season strong and we try to re-sign him, would anyone be okay with letting Quin walk and starting Demps?

Also in that article it says the fewest plays per snap for OLB were Barwin and Freeney. With that said if the season ended today I would rather keep Quin than Barwin. I feel that Barwin will want a lot of money that he simply doesn't deserve. Quin would be cheaper and we have a replacement for Barwin already in Merci.
dsorc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
Quin's been great, but I do think that this defense turns on having a strong rotation in its front seven.

I keep hearing about this OLB rotation idea but is it real? I don't remember Reed getting much playing time until Mario got hurt last year. Similarly, Mercilus is barely getting any playing time. And he's only started getting some real defensive snaps after Cushing got injured. Depth is important but I don't think we really rotate our OLBs. As such, we have a better backup plan for Barwin than for Quin.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:

... if Barwin finishes the season strong and we try to re-sign him, would anyone be okay with letting Quin walk and starting Demps?

PFF's plays per snap analysis made me think. Quin's been great, but I do think that this defense turns on having a strong rotation in its front seven. Demps is already our Nickel guy.

I might be in the minority here but I'm taking Quin over Barwin with ZERO hesitation. Our safety duo is top 5 in the league IMO, we shouldn't be breaking that up. Quin is probably the most underrated player in the league. Nobody knows who he is but he's quietly a top 10 safety. We could get another OLB in the draft if we aren't able to re-sign Barwin whereas I don't know how we're gonna replace Quin. As good a backup Demps is, he's no Quin.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We worked out 7 scrubs today, all RB's

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:

I hate to lose either of them, is there any reason we can't keep both. We all know that these guys are more important than the stats they produce but Quin doesn't produce alot of interceptions and Barwin hasn't been racking up the sacks. Is there any reason we can't get a team friendly/fair deal from both of them much like we got from Brown and Schaub? Could we restructure AJ and OD contracts, offer them more upfront/bonus money and then lower their contract base pay so as to sign Barwin and Quin? I also think that we'll be losing Cody, Caldwell, and McCain to FA along with several of the 1 yr. rental players so maybe we can come up with enough money to keep them both. I'm not a contract expert by any means but I sure don't want to lose either of these guys.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
kenney wrote:

I hate to lose either of them, is there any reason we can't keep both. We all know that these guys are more important than the stats they produce but Quin doesn't produce alot of interceptions and Barwin hasn't been racking up the sacks. Is there any reason we can't get a team friendly/fair deal from both of them much like we got from Brown and Schaub? Could we restructure AJ and OD contracts, offer them more upfront/bonus money and then lower their contract base pay so as to sign Barwin and Quin? I also think that we'll be losing Cody, Caldwell, and McCain to FA along with several of the 1 yr. rental players so maybe we can come up with enough money to keep them both. I'm not a contract expert by any means but I sure don't want to lose either of these guys.

I'm not sure where all of this "either/or" stuff keeps coming from, but almost all of our moves this offseason were geared to proactively freeing payroll for the 2013 season without sacrificing 2012 in the process.

I see steps as follows:
1) First step was deciding who was amongst the critical core with 2012 & 2013 expiring contracts and to get them signed long-term in a cap friendly manner (Myers, Foster, Brown, Schaub). Clearly guys like Dreessen, Brisiel, Allen, Vickers, Rackers etc were deemed expendable with no serious attempts at retention. Obviously, the biggest part of that step was to recognize that retaining Mario at the $100 mil salary he was seeking would require a wholesale salary purge including players that were deemed to be critical core as well as severely limiting player retention and cap flexibility for 5 years.

2) Next, players that were likely to not be retained in 2013 were targeted and proactive moves were made to take cap hits in the current year (Winston, Ryans, Jacoby). I think the decision was made to approach these spots with a combination of cheaper existing talent, late and middle round draft picks and in the case of Bradie James a cheap free agent as insurance against Sharpton's injury.

3) Finally, certain players were identified as non-essential core and were targeted for 2013 retention. In some cases, these players were unlikely to improve their free agent stock, were operating on cheap expiring deals that you wouldn't want to substantially escalate in 2012, or had to play themselves into their next contract.

Quin - There are few safeties in the league that are "essential" core and Quin isn't one of those. Furthermore as a non-playmaking safety Quin is unlikely to command a huge salary on the open market and plays a position that is on the lower end of the scale anyway. While we may love him in our system but he will not garner the attention or FA $$ Jarious Byrd, Laron Landry, Yeramiah Bell, Stevie Brown get not to mention Ed Reed. I fully expect us to retain him.

Barwin - he does play a position that commands a large salary, but even if he took another huge step forward in 2012 he would only command a salary that maxed out at about 1/2 of Mario's. I think a calculated risk was taken in him not pricing himself out of our reach this year while hedging that bet with the Whitney Mercilus pick if he did. He's done nothing to warrant a top echelon pass rusher salary thus far (he only has 17 sacks in 4 seasons, folks) and should be well within a range where we could retain him. If someone does open up their checkbook, we have a #1 pick to move up and we address OLB depth with a middle round pick.

Newton / Butler / Caldwell - another calculated risk to give 3 players a shot at a starting job and earning a long-term deal with a substantial raise if they excelled and improved their market value while not locking ourselves into a long-term deal on players who were unproven. Again, we hedged our bet by drafting depth with Brooks and Jones. While the on field result has left plenty to be desired, the business decision was brilliant, as Butler and Caldwell will simply not be retained and I suspect Newton returns to the bench for 2013 & 2014 on his league minimum salary while we either draft another RT or address in FA.

Casey & McCain are the only other 2013 FA's of note and both have minimal value on the open market and clear replacements already on the roster.

Beyond having plenty of space to retain Quin and Barwin, I think the Texans very well could be players in free agency this offseason to fill a strategic hole like WR given Kubiak's hesitancy to trust young players. Victor Cruz, Mike Wallace, Wes Welker, Dwayne Bowe, and Greg Jennings highlight the class and are likely all out of reach in the $50 million range, but I'd be willing to bet we make at least one move for an under the radar guy who fits the 2006 Kevin Walter profile as a 4th year guy ready to impact in the right circumstance (Brandon Gibson).

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have somewhere around 3 mil in cap space this season, because we ate the Winston and Jacoby cap hit.

For 2013 we have roughly 105.63 mil committed but with alot of UFA coming up we won't have that much space if we choose to sign Connor who is losing millions by the second or GQ. Part of Rich Smith's genius was extending Brown and not getting a deal done with Barwin this off-season.

The projected cap next year is somewhere around 121 mil so will have around 15 mil to work out new contracts and sign vets and rookies to fill the voids.

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
We have somewhere around 3 mil in cap space this season, because we ate the Winston and Jacoby cap hit.

For 2013 we have roughly 105.63 mil committed but with alot of UFA coming up we won't have that much space if we choose to sign Connor who is losing millions by the second or GQ. Part of Rich Smith's genius was extending Brown and not getting a deal done with Barwin this off-season.

The projected cap next year is somewhere around 121 mil so will have around 15 mil to work out new contracts and sign vets and rookies to fill the voids.

But Shaub and Browns new contracts kick in next year, they're new salary isn't figured into that 105.63 mil. for 2013. Part of that 15 mil. has already been eaten up by Schaub and Brown.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

But Shaub and Browns new contracts kick in next year, they're new salary isn't figured into that 105.63 mil. for 2013. Part of that 15 mil. has already been eaten up by Schaub and Brown.

While Rick may occasionally fumble personnel evaluation (B. Harris, Carmichael) his real core strength is working contracts and the cap. In this case, Schaub's cap number actually goes DOWN next year ($11.7 million to $10.75 million). It was a brilliant move as we continue to get Schaub at below market value (he's only the #13 highest paid QB) coming off injury concerns. If you don't believe me, just watch what Flacco gets this offseason for middling performance. Duane Brown's cap hit goes up less than $500k next year, Foster's $250k, and Myers $1 million, so he essentially locked up long-term deals 4 of our 8 core players in their primes for a net effect of only $750k in cap escalation in 2013. He avoided paying Barwin at peak value as his trendline indicated a 12-15 sack season, while his leverage has plumetted instead with a steep drop in measurable (aka marketable) production. Obviously, letting Mario walk was worth withstanding ill informed media & fans doubting the move.

Meanwhile at least $14 million in dead space comes off the books next year (Ryans, Winston, Leinart, Jacoby, etc) which is plenty of room for not only Barwin, Quin, Casey, and others but hopefully addressing CB, WR, or RT with a substantial signing and 4 picks in the first 3 rounds again. Walter can be cut at any time saving another $3 million penalty free and I'm not sure we bring Cody back freeing up another $3 million. 2014 will bring a sizable jump in the cap, so Rick has deftly navigated the cap bottleneck and is well positioned to keep the next wave around (Cushing, Watt).

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man our ILB corps has taken a beating this year, we HAVE to draft one if not 2 this draft.

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: