Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why don't our coordinators/assistant succeed as Head Coaches
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
It just shows that only the best of the best are good enough to be Head Coaches in the NFL.

How's that for some crow, Tomlin haters.

LeBeau has carried him.

Didnt you get the memo?
The Curtain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can chalk up Whiz's success to Warner/Fitz/Boldin all you want, but he still went to a SB with the ARIZONA CARDINALS....which is pretty mind blowing if someone would have told you that at the time.

So just saying, while he may of had circumstances, he still had decent success after leaving Pittsburgh. Though I think Tomlin has proved that we made the right move going with him.

He may of had talent, but he still won with that talent. Lots of coaches can't accomplish that much, just look at the Dallas Cowboys for the last decade.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curtain wrote:
You can chalk up Whiz's success to Warner/Fitz/Boldin all you want, but he still went to a SB with the ARIZONA CARDINALS....which is pretty mind blowing if someone would have told you that at the time.

So just saying, while he may of had circumstances, he still had decent success after leaving Pittsburgh. Though I think Tomlin has proved that we made the right move going with him.

He may of had talent, but he still won with that talent. Lots of coaches can't accomplish that much, just look at the Dallas Cowboys for the last decade.

And without Warner... that team fell apart the following season... just saying.
The Curtain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but Warner before that was a scrub on the NY Giants. It isn't like anyone was expecting him to step in and play that good.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curtain wrote:
Yeah but Warner before that was a scrub on the NY Giants. It isn't like anyone was expecting him to step in and play that good.

That entire NY Giants team was garbage. Warner also led the Rams during one of the best offenses in league's history...
The Curtain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but that was before age/injuries. It looked like the guy was completely washed up in NY. Whiz shouldn't get ANY credit at all for his turn around? Especially considering they had a very hyped prospect in Leinart at the time, yet Whiz recognized that he was trash and went with Warner.
bucksoh1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why some of them failed is because their owners are too impatient. Eveyone today wants a quick fix.
Steelerfan30yrs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know how to add others comments on here, but i needed to reply to this:

(It will always be difficult for me to like Mularkey because the first thought that comes to my mind is him dropping that pass over the middle vs Denver on the last drive of the 1989 divisional playoffs.)

That wasnt Mularkey, it was WR MARK STOCK.......n it was a dreadful memory as we should have been on our way to Clev....Such n exciting season after a horrendous start....
grubs10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelerfan30yrs wrote:
I dont know how to add others comments on here,
Theres a "quote" button in the top right corner of posts

^Props to jgutowski24 on the Sweet Wiz Style Sig^
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What???

Wisenhunt made it to the Super Bowl after He and Kurt Warner rebuilt Kurt's career. He came within a play of winning the Super Bowl vs the steelers.

I think he was a success as a head coach. The problem he had was they traded for Kevin Kolb and that trade failed. I think Whiz should have gotten more time to find a better qb. The Cards very well could have found that player this offseason in the draft, FA or through trade.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
I like Whiz always have, but his drafts never really panned out. If not for L. Fitzgerald staying Whiz would of probably been gone sooner.

The Steelers coordinators never really walked into stable situations. They've all inherited mid level or poor teams. When you take over teams like that you need luck and a lot of it. Something like Bellichick did when getting Brady.

None of the Steelers coordinators ever had a functional QB for the long term. That position has to be stable in some form in fashion.
this! And that is not the coaches fault guys, it's the GMs job to find an upgrade at positions in the draft or fa

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
at23steelers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
What???

Wisenhunt made it to the Super Bowl after He and Kurt Warner rebuilt Kurt's career. He came within a play of winning the Super Bowl vs the steelers.

I think he was a success as a head coach. The problem he had was they traded for Kevin Kolb and that trade failed. I think Whiz should have gotten more time to find a better qb. The Cards very well could have found that player this offseason in the draft, FA or through trade.

A guy like Matt Flynn would do wonders for their team, especially if their first pick is a left tackle! Always gotta cheer for the PA team down south!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: