Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The "New" Ponder Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Another fun comparison:

Quote:
Ponder in '12: 300/483, 2,935 yds, 18 TD, 12 INT, 81.2 rating, 32 sks.

Favre in '92: 302/471, 3,227 yds, 18 TD, 13 INT, 85.3 rating, 34 sks.

Wasn't Favre drinking or abusing pain killers that year? I thought he had some kind of substance abuse problem, and that was part of what caused Atlanta to trade him. I may be wrong though.

As far as Ponder is concerned, I think he earned another chance next year with his performance over the last few weeks. He has a long way to go, but at least he is progressing.

For that reason, I am officially withdrawing my support for going after Tim Tebow in the offseason. I'd LOVE to get him on our team, but I've known all along the chances of that happening are about as good as getting all the right numbers in the Powerball. Oh well, it just wasn't meant to be I guess.

Ponder is a good guy, so that makes him easy to cheer for. I hope he can take a step forward with the 4 playoff games he is going to win ( Very Happy ), and come in next year as a much more polished quarterback.

Aout wrote:
What is wrong with all these Packer fans insulting and raging all the time?
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:
For that reason, I am officially withdrawing my support for going after Tim Tebow in the offseason.

oh noes! say it ain't so!!

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Thanatos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another stat comparison, this one is a bit closer than the Favre one. This QB struggled with some games where he had low yardage (1 sub 100 yd and 2 very close sub 100 games) and ugly performances.

Ponder: 16 games. 300-483 (62.1%) 2935 yds, 18 tds, 12 ints, 6.1 Yds/Att, 9.8 Yds/Comp

Other QB: 15 games. 264-413 (63.9%), 2843 yds, 18 tds, 12 ints, 6.9 Yds/Att, 10.8 Yds/Comp

Can anybody else guess who the other QB is? Is the future bright for the Vikings if Ponder can be like this other QB?

Bonus: The Other QB had a completion percentage of 62.1 the very next season.
JDBrocks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be Tom Brady's 2001 Super Bowl season. I don't know that you can look at the trajectory of Brady's career and apply it to Ponder, but it does show that he can get better.

I don't remember the assessment of Brady's performance that season with those few bad games, but many have made the argument that the defense carried Brady to his first two Super Bowls.

Brady was also considered as having limited arm strength and a great check down passer.

Ponder is on a short leash either way, but if he can manage to carry the success that he's had late in the season into next year I think that he can be a solid top 15 to 12 QB.

Josh Ritter wrote:
I became a thin blue wire, that held the world above the fire
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still over 10 years ago, not sure the numbers quite compare. The league is drastically different than it was even a decade ago.
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Still over 10 years ago, not sure the numbers quite compare. The league is drastically different than it was even a decade ago.

Why? Because they had run-first teams then?

Have you checked our team recently? Laughing
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musgrave: "He's making better decisions late in the down. He's doing a better job of using his legs when the first or second or third guy in his pass progression isn't there. He's hurt defenses by running. I know he did that in Houston. That really helps because it's tough for defenses to account for a quarterback not only as a passer, but also a runner."

"He's here early in the morning and late at night. There's a lot of work to be done with a quarterback. Your scope has to be tremendously broad without spreading yourself too thin. He puts the time in to make sure he's well prepped. At times, when I walk in, especially early in the week, I see him sitting in the cafeteria. He's got his book out or he's making notes. He has watched film and he's having a bowl of cereal and getting ready to go back down and get a workout. It's probably around 7 or 8. We have coaches' dinners at night. At times, he slips in there and grabs a bite to eat or a little to-go box to go home. It's definitely a full day's work. He's fully invested."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22299878/vikings-talk-christian-ponder-work-growth-huddle-and

Webmaster wrote:
perrynoid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Another fun comparison:

Quote:
Ponder in '12: 300/483, 2,935 yds, 18 TD, 12 INT, 81.2 rating, 32 sks.

Favre in '92: 302/471, 3,227 yds, 18 TD, 13 INT, 85.3 rating, 34 sks.

Wasn't Favre drinking or abusing pain killers that year? I thought he had some kind of substance abuse problem, and that was part of what caused Atlanta to trade him. I may be wrong though.

As far as Ponder is concerned, I think he earned another chance next year with his performance over the last few weeks. He has a long way to go, but at least he is progressing.

For that reason, I am officially withdrawing my support for going after Tim Tebow in the offseason. I'd LOVE to get him on our team, but I've known all along the chances of that happening are about as good as getting all the right numbers in the Powerball. Oh well, it just wasn't meant to be I guess.

Ponder is a good guy, so that makes him easy to cheer for. I hope he can take a step forward with the 4 playoff games he is going to win ( Very Happy ), and come in next year as a much more polished quarterback.

He had surgery to remove some of his intestines after a car accident in college. He said it was very painful for a long time, not sure if that is what you are referrencing or not? I think that is what lead to the excessive drinking and pain-killer addiction.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

Why? Because they had run-first teams then?

Have you checked our team recently? Laughing

Because the rules of the game were different
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How has the game changed in what's asked of the QB position?

True, The rules have changed regarding hitting defenseless players and the DB contact. WRs can make a QB look better than his talent would dictate. These types of factors have made it easier on QBs but that doesn't mean a QB of today must play to some 1.X factor better than Terry Bradshaw, or he isn't any good.

BUT someone please tell me how Air Coryell, the run n shoot or the Pistol or the Spread offense has helped a TEAM win the Super Bowl?

Sure, QBs in those systems put up great numbers, but they RARELY win conference championships. So, most SB winning QBs run an offense that employs balance and a variety options. Guess what, the Vikes run a proven successful offense.

Now, the guy leading the offense needs to make plays. More importantly, he has to lead the team. Can anyone show me where to find s stat rating leadership skill?

Drew Breed and Tom Brady would be #1 and #2 in that stat, imo.

Ponder has the intelligence and is continuing to develop his NFL QB aptitude. Of the young QBs in the league, Ponder's top-5 in developing his art while being limited by the tools at his disposal.

I can go all day comparing Ponders career stats with other QBs, but there's no relation to success-failure.

What I look at is the organization, its direction and the fit with the QB. That's why I'm liking what I see.
ktarinze

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I thought the ponder threads would be over by now

2. What is up with all the female avatars
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcticNorseman wrote:
What I look at is the organization, its direction and the fit with the QB. That's why I'm liking what I see.

as we used to say in the 70's... right on.

for those who have watched the Vikings for many years, through different coaches and different managerial-based geometric shapes, we're seeing a better organization now than what we've seen since Bud Grant's days. it's more focused and it's staying truer to what it believes will produce results.

Ponder may or may not be able to consistently be a productive QB for the team, that's yet to be fully seen. but he's being put in the position to succeed.

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ktarinze wrote:

oh, it's still a very viable topic to discuss, i would venture.

ktarinze wrote:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=509545

Webmaster wrote:
ktarinze

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
ktarinze wrote:

oh, it's still a very viable topic to discuss, i would venture.

ktarinze wrote:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=509545

and this is what happens when I leave for a couple of days
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone still think Webb is our answer? This is pathetic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 22 of 34

Jump to: