Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

philbin final thoughts and number 1 priority
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
I wouldnt really put forth a strong effort to sign Hartline. He is ok but not worthy of anything but just north of the veteran minimum. Anyone Miami signs better have size and speed. But I could careless until Miami sures up its O-line.

+1.

Hartline is a roll player not a starter.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:
I wouldnt really put forth a strong effort to sign Hartline. He is ok but not worthy of anything but just north of the veteran minimum. Anyone Miami signs better have size and speed. But I could careless until Miami sures up its O-line.

+1.

Not a starter?

Seriously

He may not be a number 1, but he's definitely a very good number 2 (I'm pretty sure he just made the Pro-Bowl and had a 1000 yard season).

He averages 15 yards per catch on his career....that's higher then....B. Marshall, Bowe, Andre Johnson, Welker, Reggie Wayne....and a plethora of others.

He also only had 3 drops on the year....again most of the receivers who may be ranked higher had 5 or more (all on the list above)...

We look at Td's and 40 speed and "gamebreaking ability", but the guy was only 1 behind Marshall in receptions over 25 yards.

Maybe you are seeing something I'm not, but the guy is a damn good football player that makes catches (difficult ones) and rarely drops passes. He works well with Tannehill and has adapted well to this offense. He may be one of the best route runner in the NFL which will pay huge dividends as Tannehill becomes more comfortable throwing to a spot.

The guy is a Starter, if fact he would be a starter on almost every roster in the NFL...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:

+1.

Not a starter?

Seriously

He may not be a number 1, but he's definitely a very good number 2 (I'm pretty sure he just made the Pro-Bowl and had a 1000 yard season).

He averages 15 yards per catch on his career....that's higher then....B. Marshall, Bowe, Andre Johnson, Welker, Reggie Wayne....and a plethora of others.

He also only had 3 drops on the year....again most of the receivers who may be ranked higher had 5 or more (all on the list above)...

We look at Td's and 40 speed and "gamebreaking ability", but the guy was only 1 behind Marshall in receptions over 25 yards.

Maybe you are seeing something I'm not, but the guy is a damn good football player that makes catches (difficult ones) and rarely drops passes. He works well with Tannehill and has adapted well to this offense. He may be one of the best route runner in the NFL which will pay huge dividends as Tannehill becomes more comfortable throwing to a spot.

The guy is a Starter, if fact he would be a starter on almost every roster in the NFL...

Hartline is the recipient of a favorable roster devoid of talent at the position. He never breaks tackles and he never scores. Yes, his hands are special and his body control impressive. He is not without value. However, this team had a losing record largely because we lacked play makers and guys that score. Hartline typifies those shortcomings. He is, in my book, an exceptional #3. If he starts our offense will always lack explosiveness.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:

+1.

Not a starter?

Seriously

Hartline is the recipient of a favorable roster devoid of talent at the position. He never breaks tackles and he never scores. Yes, his hands are special and his body control impressive. He is not without value. However, this team had a losing record largely because we lacked play makers and guys that score. Hartline typifies those shortcomings. He is, in my book, an exceptional #3. If he starts our offense will always lack explosiveness.

Hartline has great hands, good speed (4.45) and excellent body control, but isn't a starter? Not many receivers have a huge amount of RAC yards, the guy manage to get open and make plays even as being the only threat on the team.

HE doesn't score...neither did CJ this season....all those yards and catches and he had 5 TD's....is he not explosive?

I'm not debating he is a number 1....I don't think he is, but I believe he could is one of the better complimentary (#2) receivers in the NFL.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:

Merc,
Are you talking about Hartline or Bush here? Because I would say all of the same things about Bush but everyone and their brother thinks that he should be the first player to be resigned. Yes Bush is scary, but I have seen more games where Bush disappeared completely while Hartline was fairly consistent all season long. That is what we need consistency, that is a great compliment to the #1 star player that I am sure they will try to find this offseason. And Hartline does have some deceptive speed, I don't know how many times he was behind some of the better CB's in the league and either Tannyhill either overthrew him or hit him nicely. He is not going to be the fastest WR on the team, but he proved this season that he is a very good #2 WR IMO.

NFL - Miami Dolphins
College - THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Mercury22

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatewood2 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

Merc,
Are you talking about Hartline or Bush here? Because I would say all of the same things about Bush but everyone and their brother thinks that he should be the first player to be resigned. Yes Bush is scary, but I have seen more games where Bush disappeared completely while Hartline was fairly consistent all season long. That is what we need consistency, that is a great compliment to the #1 star player that I am sure they will try to find this offseason. And Hartline does have some deceptive speed, I don't know how many times he was behind some of the better CB's in the league and either Tannyhill either overthrew him or hit him nicely. He is not going to be the fastest WR on the team, but he proved this season that he is a very good #2 WR IMO.

Bush finds the end zone and breaks tackles. Hartline does not. Ever.
skatewood2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
skatewood2 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

Merc,

You are right Merc, he does find the end zone. I looked it up, it was six times this year and six times last year. And yes, Hartline has only made six TD's in his career. But it's easier for a RB to score TD's than it is for a WR because the WR is dependant on the QB where the RB is not as much. But this doesn't prove that Bush is more important to Miami than Hartline is IMO. I have never said that Hartline is our #1 WR, but he is our #2 WR with the right #1 WR and QB. He has had either one or the other in Miami and not both. Not only that, but an excellent route runner with excellent hands is paramount in this type of offense is it not? So why not reward a guy who did more than was expected with a rookie QB and not other help at WR except for Bess who wasn't that special either and give him help?

NFL - Miami Dolphins
College - THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Mercury22

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatewood2 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
skatewood2 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

Merc,

You are right Merc, he does find the end zone. I looked it up, it was six times this year and six times last year. And yes, Hartline has only made six TD's in his career. But it's easier for a RB to score TD's than it is for a WR because the WR is dependant on the QB where the RB is not as much. But this doesn't prove that Bush is more important to Miami than Hartline is IMO. I have never said that Hartline is our #1 WR, but he is our #2 WR with the right #1 WR and QB. He has had either one or the other in Miami and not both. Not only that, but an excellent route runner with excellent hands is paramount in this type of offense is it not? So why not reward a guy who did more than was expected with a rookie QB and not other help at WR except for Bess who wasn't that special either and give him help?

I like Hartline. I like him as a roll player. Perhaps the #3 guy, and then we could let Bess walk. I said this in a previous thread, but Bess and Hartline both have the same exact holes in their games. Neither break tackles and neither score TD's. Not that this is a huge surprise, but the way to win games is to put points on the board. If our WR's can't score TD's (as evidenced by 1 TD each all season) then we are going to struggle. Hartline benefited from our roster being so woefully void of talent at the WR position that he became the primary target. He is better suited to play a roll as a guy that comes in on 3rd and long and helps us move the chains. I would NEVER let him have a huge contract. If Ireland resigns him to a huge deal he is a bigger idiot than I thought.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
skatewood2 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
skatewood2 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

Merc,

I like Hartline. I like him as a roll player. Perhaps the #3 guy, and then we could let Bess walk. I said this in a previous thread, but Bess and Hartline both have the same exact holes in their games. Neither break tackles and neither score TD's. Not that this is a huge surprise, but the way to win games is to put points on the board. If our WR's can't score TD's (as evidenced by 1 TD each all season) then we are going to struggle. Hartline benefited from our roster being so woefully void of talent at the WR position that he became the primary target. He is better suited to play a roll as a guy that comes in on 3rd and long and helps us move the chains. I would NEVER let him have a huge contract. If Ireland resigns him to a huge deal he is a bigger idiot than I thought.
If push came to shove i would much prefer hartline over bess, bess is a great story undrafted solid team guy and all but 11 TD's in 5 years as a starter is terrible
Warpticon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so funny seeing people talk about how our wide receivers don't score and then citing Wes Welker as an example of a receiver who scores--the same Wes Welker who scored a whopping 1 touchdown before the Dolphins traded him. Maybe it's not strictly a function of the receiver?
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes welker started only one season in Miami
DOLFAN016

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When does Davone Bess's contract expire? I only ask because what do you think of Denard Robinson being our new slot receiver? We could slowly work him in for a year and then let Bess walk. He is a true playmaker no matter where he lines up on the field. The guy played solely at RB for their bowl game and I believe he came pretty close to getting 100 yards. If he could learn to catch consistenly he would be a pretty huge upgrade.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOLFAN016 wrote:
When does Davone Bess's contract expire? I only ask because what do you think of Denard Robinson being our new slot receiver? We could slowly work him in for a year and then let Bess walk. He is a true playmaker no matter where he lines up on the field. The guy played solely at RB for their bowl game and I believe he came pretty close to getting 100 yards. If he could learn to catch consistenly he would be a pretty huge upgrade.
I am intigued by robinson if only in the right round. For wht its worth Kiper has him ranked pretty decent in his wr rankings. I just cant get it out of my mind the panthers spent a 2nd on Amanti edwards to play WR a few years ago and that failed miserably. Robinson has a slot look and breaks tackles so if the right round and let him learn for a year yeah
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
DOLFAN016 wrote:
I am intigued by robinson if only in the right round. For wht its worth Kiper has him ranked pretty decent in his wr rankings. I just cant get it out of my mind the panthers spent a 2nd on Amanti edwards to play WR a few years ago and that failed miserably. Robinson has a slot look and breaks tackles so if the right round and let him learn for a year yeah

I would take Robinson in the 4th or 5th round. I like him as a gadget player. He is about one of the five best players in college football with the ball in his hands. I would give him 3-7 touches a game. Screen passes, short passes, designed runs, options etc.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: