Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How about the Des Moines Flying Dutchmen?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
disaacs


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 21396
Location: Brownbackistan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: How about the Des Moines Flying Dutchmen? Reply with quote

Quote:
When the NFL pulled the plug on whatever the World League was known as in its final existence, the NFL likewise removed the ability of young players to get much-needed live reps.

So here’s hoping the NFL’s list of New Year’s resolutions includes finally bringing back a developmental league.


http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/03/nfl-needs-developmental-league-for-plenty-of-reasons

While not directly related to the Vikings, I think this is an interesting topic to discuss. I would love to see a developmental league with teams located in non-NFL markets on U.S. soil. How great would it be to have the Vikings' developmental team in a market like Des Moines, Rapid City or Fargo?
_________________


Thx to Uncle Buck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 71375
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fargo Woodchippers.
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigDog74


Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Posts: 544
Location: Minnesota
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
The Fargo Woodchippers.


That's actually the name of an IPA the Fargo Brewing Company makes. "The Woodchipper" pretty hilarious if you ask me
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eastern Walrus


Joined: 25 Oct 2010
Posts: 3147
Location: on safari
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does it have to be in Iowa or North Dakota? How about Duluth?
_________________
2013 Adopt a Minnesota Viking - Xavier Rhodes - CB - #29

XBL - Eastern Walrus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 71375
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like a very expensive operation to produce a handful of pro-ready players.

there wouldn't be much tv coverage, which is where the operating profit comes from, and tickets couldn't be high priced or folks wouldn't attend.
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
this providence


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 11132
Location: Ugh.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything, they should make the league available to those players who can't make it academically at some of the more relevant college conferences. Not to mention those who leave school due to whatever circumstances instead of watching those players go to lower level divisions. Would make the most sense as you can see players play each other on a similar skill level and be able to truly evaluate them.

But in reality, the "minor league"-like approach to the NFL will just never be sustainable.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 22522
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that TP but at the same time it feels, at least to me, that would essentially be rewarding players that couldn't abide by the rules of the NCAA. Or it would give athletes and excuse to forget about school all together.
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
this providence


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 11132
Location: Ugh.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
I can see that TP but at the same time it feels, at least to me, that would essentially be rewarding players that couldn't abide by the rules of the NCAA. Or it would give athletes and excuse to forget about school all together.


Some of these athlete students forget about school altogether anyway. Why not just give an option to the handful of players who do not want to pursue that outlet instead of wasting other people's time attempting to fit someone within acceptable standards? I don't want to name names or generalize, but listening to some of these NFL players speak on occasion leads me to question what real education did they actually get out of the process. Not to mention many of us have attended various legitimate sports universities and have seen how some athletes were treated.

All I'm saying is that their should be another viable outlet to the small percentage that just plain couldn't cut it as a student athlete but still may have a potential future as an NFL player. If that leads some to rest on their laurels, so be it. But you'll still get to learn a lot about said player in the process.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigDog74


Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Posts: 544
Location: Minnesota
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this providence wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
I can see that TP but at the same time it feels, at least to me, that would essentially be rewarding players that couldn't abide by the rules of the NCAA. Or it would give athletes and excuse to forget about school all together.


Some of these athlete students forget about school altogether anyway. Why not just give an option to the handful of players who do not want to pursue that outlet instead of wasting other people's time attempting to fit someone within acceptable standards? I don't want to name names or generalize, but listening to some of these NFL players speak on occasion leads me to question what real education did they actually get out of the process. Not to mention many of us have attended various legitimate sports universities and have seen how some athletes were treated.

All I'm saying is that their should be another viable outlet to the small percentage that just plain couldn't cut it as a student athlete but still may have a potential future as an NFL player. If that leads some to rest on their laurels, so be it. But you'll still get to learn a lot about said player in the process.


I also think it'd be a great league for players that sustained injuries in college to get another shot. Players similar to, but not as talented, as Marcus Lattimore could be finally given a fair shot to show their talent after they were fully recovered. Think about the vast amount of players in the lower levels of college football who if healthy their senior years would have at least had a shot in NFL training camps yet never get said opportunity due to injury.

Still long term a "minor league" system for the NFL isn't sustainable in my eyes. College Football has essentially became the 5th major sport (4th if the NHL never gets their poop in a group) I just don't think there is enough fans to support three major football leagues in the USA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group