Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Buno's thoughts why Kelly/Weeden can coexist!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buno67

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Buno's thoughts why Kelly/Weeden can coexist!!! Reply with quote

Chip Kelly: He is the mastermind behind one of the best offensives in college football ever since he entered FBS in 2007. Kelly runs his own version of the spread offense. Kelly runs a more read option/heavy run spread offense with inside/outside zones, power players, and the option

Brandon Weeden: He was the QB for one of the best offenses in College his last two years in college. He ran Mike Gundy's spread offense perfect. unlike Chip Kellys spread offense, Mike Gundys spread offense was all about passing the ball. Going 4 and 5 wide and having Weeden picking apart defenses. Final two years in the system he went 69% comp. 9000yards. 71TDs to only 26 TDs
----------------------------------------------------------------

I hate how some people are getting so worked up at the idea of chip kelly coming to Cleveland and having him use Weeden. Some of these posters are getting all pissy saying were about to throw away half of Kellys playbook. If Bill Belichick can adapt his offense to incorporate some of Chip Kellys offense than why cant Chip Kelly incorporte some typical offense into his system or incorporte some of Belichick/McDaniels into his system (just an example).

Lets see here...Chip Kelly runs a spread offense but has it focused more on the run, with his read option spread attack. So Kelly has a very good base of the spread attack but he loves to run out of his spread attack. With Oregon, Kelly used a mobile QB to just make his offense that more dangerous. When Dixon, Thomas, Masoli, and etc being good dual threat QBs

Now Weeden, a QB who ran a spread offense in college but his was more pass happy unlike Kelly's run heavy offense. Kelly's base offense is rooted with the spread and Weeden's best offense for him is rooted in the spread. We saw him tear up the spread offense in college with disgusting yards and numbers.

Chip Kelly is Widely regarded as one of the most innovative offensive minds in college football today. I seriously think Chip Kelly can come up with an offense that could potential be deadly in Cleveland (sounds like an oxymoron)

I could see Kelly eliminate the running QB from his offense but replacing it with more spread type passing attack. If Kelly decides to come to Cleveland he has the chance to work with a RB that has the most talented he has ever had the chance to coach and he gets to possibly work with Weeden who would be the best passer he has ever had the chance to coach.

I honestly could see Kelly transforming his offense to a spread attack with the focus on a single back type formtion. We get to put Weeden back into the spread offense he is good in and we can start setting up TRich into run friend defenses and if not TRich is a beast out of the back field. We could have Weeden finally playing more out of the Shotgun which a lot of ppl wanted to see him do more of. If we go to a fast paced spread attacking offense with Weeden and his arm defenses are gonna have to use more DBs and less LBs. Now we have TRich running against defenses that have 5/6DBs 2/1LBs instead of 4DBs and 3/4LBs. With the power running of TRich he can run over those DBs and punish defenses. If TRich forces defenses to bring in more LBs to be able to tackle him, Weeden can play the match ups and hopefully burn the defense. In stead of having a mobile QB keeping the run defense honest of the runningback, we have a QB who can pass the ball to keep the defenses honest of the runningback

Posters are saying taking away the threat of a running QB takes away half of Kellys offense. Mariota has only ran the ball 98times this year. If the QB running the ball was half the offense he would have a lot more attempts. Kelly just uses the QBs running ability to keep the defense honest. I think if Kelly had a legit passer he would use the pass more to keep the defense honest but he has never had a legit passer his tenure at Oregon. Mariota has been his best passer and we can see Kelly allows his passing ability to keep defenses honest than his rushing ability.

Mariota has only ran it 98times this year, Thomas only ran the ball 56time last year, the year before thomas only ran it 93times, Masoli ran it 121times in 2009 and 127times but he was also not a very good passer, and Dixon only ran it 105times. IMO when Kelly trusts his QBs passing ability he rather have them attack the defense with his arm than with his legs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree he and Weeden can work. I think Thad Lewis is a perfect backup as well. If Weeden doesn't get his act together as far as when the pressure is at its highest then I am done supporting him. I do want to give him another year though. He has talent and the ability to improve its all going to come down to how well he can handle the big moments.

Jamison on the sig
buno67

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:
I agree he and Weeden can work. I think Thad Lewis is a perfect backup as well. If Weeden doesn't get his act together as far as when the pressure is at its highest then I am done supporting him. I do want to give him another year though. He has talent and the ability to improve its all going to come down to how well he can handle the big moments.

I think he can handle the pressure. I know when it came to the big time games at OKST like vs Baylor and vs Stanford he played pretty well.

I honestly think that Shurmurs offense did not allow him to attack the defenses and had him settle for the short crossing routes and etc. Weeden looked good to me when he was attack down field and attacking the defense.

With Kelly, he will bring that type of attitude to Cleveland. Shurmur with the eagles or with the rams never coached with that kind of attacking attitude and it showed to his players. With Oregon, Kelly was all about attacking attacking and attacking to score as fast as possible, put as much pressure on the opposing defense, and let your defense pin its ears back and attack too. I think thats one thing you saw Belichick/McDaniels take away from Kelly. Before this season the Pats wasnt much of an attack offense. They had the big plays but they never really wanted to run the defnse out of the stadium but this year I thik Belichick/McDaniels picked that attitude up from Kelly and you saw that when the Pats increased the intensity of their offense. I think the league avg of offensive players were in the 60s and the pats was something in the 70s and vs the 49ers they ran 92 offensive plays

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see it being run a lot like what Arizona did with Kurt Warner as QB. Although Edgerrin James was not in his prime, you spread the defense out and let your power back run it up the gut and move the chains. If we can combine Kelly's offense, Tweak it just a bit, and set up a future stud defense for years to come, we could be really scary.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion....

Weeden failed to successfully run an offense that he was hand picked for.... I don't think he is going to have a positive turn around in an offense that he is less suited for.

Kelly has had TONs of success because of how dynamic his offense is. Part of what makes his offense so dynamic and hard to defend is the threat of the QB run with the zone read option. Taking away that aspect will limit his offenses potential, if it benefited his offense he would have recruited pocket passers instead of all running QBs...

If the browns don't want an offense with a running QB they are hiring the wrong guy. If the browns want a pocket passer in traditional pro offense they should hire Saban.. Or Lovie... Or Ray Horton... Etc. or kept shurmur...

Kelly has proven himself... And his offense has proven itself as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
In my opinion....
Weeden failed to successfully run an offense that he was hand picked for.... I don't think he is going to have a positive turn around in an offense that he is less suited for.

Weeden was picked by the coaches and gem but the offense he was picked for did not suit his style of play. You dont think he can have a positive turn around when he gets placed backed into a spread offense? Weeden killed it in a spread offense in college. Spread offense is completely different than the WCO
Dropkick_pride wrote:

Kelly has had TONs of success because of how dynamic his offense is. Part of what makes his offense so dynamic and hard to defend is the threat of the QB run with the zone read option. Taking away that aspect will limit his offenses potential, if it benefited his offense he would have recruited pocket passers instead of all running QBs...

The threat of running the zone read is not going to work in the NFL. Defensive ends are too athletic. The zone read has been around for awhile. College and High Schools have been running the zone read for awhile and it has been tried in the NFL but its not a offense that can be utilized for an entire game plan. Its like the Wildcat, it worked well when it first emerged but when other teams started doing it more and defenses started getting more film on it the Wildcat is not...instinct. ppl say well Cam Newton...RGIII...Tebow can some zone read? is their entire offense built around the zone read now? and if or when more teams run the zone read defensive coordinators can counter it but with only a few teams running it, DCs dont spend a lot of time on it.
Dropkick_pride wrote:

If the browns don't want an offense with a running QB they are hiring the wrong guy. If the browns want a pocket passer in traditional pro offense they should hire Saban.. Or Lovie... Or Ray Horton... Etc. or kept shurmur...

Chip Kelly in general is a great football mind. hence why NFL coaches have picked his mine on ideas. Chip Kelly is more of a offensive coach than using a mobile QB. If you only want Kelly as a HC because of his offense and the read option than you are wanting him for all the wrong reasons. I want Kelly as HC because he runs his teams great, he has a brilliant football mind, he is willing to change, willing to innovate, and willing to recreate himself...it works for him because his football IQ is great. He is a 49 year old bachelor. Dude eats, sleeps, poops football!!! I say Kelly is or will be a better NFL coach than Shurmur, Kelly actually has an identity on office and that is to attack, attack, and attact, wants to run face pace, and wants run as many plays as possible. Shurmur had no real identity to his offense. He would run the ball the first half than completely abandon the run. When it comes to having an identity for your offense you than know how to manage the game and we all know Shurmur struggled at managing games and to me he struggles because he never had a true idea of what he wanted to do. Saban, we all saw how his pro style offense worked the first time around. I was never a big fan of Saban. I think Saban success is do more to his recruiting than his coaching ability. If Kelly was as good as a recruiter as Saban was Oregon prolly have a championship.

Some ideas Kelly believe in has shown can work in the NFL by the Pats...I know you keep crapping on that information when its brought up by other poster but you can not deny it. The Pats learns some tips and some ideas from Kelly and it worked amazing in the NFL as you can see the Pats ran a very fast offense this year as they lead the league in offenses plays per game. Its not like he just gave Bill Belichick a bunch of ideas and tips for free. They prolly exchanged ideas here.

Im sorry the Browns and the NFL are not drooling over Kelly because of his damn read option offense

do you really want Kelly to come to Cleveland and have some half ass passer be the QB just because he can run the ball a few times? in the NFL you dont win by having a QB who can run the ball 10-15times a game. You by the QB throwing it 20-30times a game. Yes Kelly runs a read option but his whole offense starts out of the spread offense and Im pretty sure Kelly would research his strength of his QB (Weeden) and see that he excelled extremely well under the spread offense when its in passing attack mode.

IMO the reason Weeden and Shurmur sucked as a combo is because Shurmur tried to force his QB into his system, when great coaches build systems upon their QB. Chip Kelly is a coach who has shown the ability to play to his players strengths and not force them to do things they are uncomfortable with. Like with his past QBs, when they werent comfortable at passing the ball, his QBs ran the ball more and when they became better passers he ran them less and had them throw more.

You can see it with the Pats. Belichick is always adopting, he isnt always trying to force players into his offense, he is always trying to build his offense around his weapon. Pats were never a huge offense who utitized its TE but when it got Gronk and A.Herd they became an offense that used two TE sets. Lined his TEs up wide, used them in the back field and etc. Great thing is Chip Kelly has worked with Belichick and prolly has keep those notes and ideas they traded.

The NFL is a passing league...if your QB cant attack the defense with his arm you will not succeed in the NFL. With that being said Chip Kelly is smart enough to know that and that he would adopt his offense to focus on Weeden's ability to attack the defense in a spread passing attack type offense and have TRich pound the rock

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we still need to find out if Weeden can run any offense at this level correctly before we jump into why he would work in Kelly's.
buno67

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ether wrote:
I think we still need to find out if Weeden can run any offense at this level correctly before we jump into why he would work in Kelly's.

Well Kelly runs a spread attack but decides to run more out of it. Weeden has great experiencing at running the spread attack but by passing it.

I just think Weeden can perform in a Kelly offense when he merges his spread rushing attack with Weedens great experience in the spread passing attack...could only lead to a great year for TRich

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like you idea but i will give a defensive coordinators thought blitz 7 with 6 feet 5 270 lb and I will have you down to your 4 qb in every game.

besides who besides nfl network is reporting this kelley left town and talked to philly and buffalo.
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mort said on countdown chip and owners agreed their franchise QB isn't on the roster.

Sig bet
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
Mort said on countdown chip and owners agreed their franchise QB isn't on the roster.

Makes sense

I do love that there are so many good throwing and rush capable QB's that are really excelling in CFB right now.

I think we roll with Colt or someone else this year, finish off our defense, then go get our franchise guy soon.

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: