Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens face a long list of needs in 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
Backup QB. I know people don't like spending a draft pick on a backup, but we can do better than Tyrod Taylor, in case Flacco stops being so durable. It'd be nice to try to slowly develop someone, and see if he shows more promise in a couple years than Taylor has.

Uhhhh, what haven't you liked about Tyrod?

The whole throwing the ball thing. He's not so good at that. I'm not basing this off one game, he was awful in the preseason as well.

Well like I said in the GDT, if we could refine his passing game a little bit more (this is only his second year, ya know...) he COULD be a starter in this league. He's basically a homeless man's version of RGIII, except I think Tyrod is actually more athletic and faster.

Ummmm.......gotta say no on that one.

RG3 runs 4.41 and was an All-American hurdler.

Taylor runs 4.51.

Taylor isn't an athletic bum, but he isn't in RG3's class, period.

I'm using the eyeball test, not metrics or whatever. From the eyeball test, it appears to me that on the football field Tyrod is faster. I may be wrong, but that's what it looks like.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's definitely not faster no matter the metric. RG3 is the much more explosive athlete... only he runs gazelle-ish, more smooth.

In terms of a backup, I wasn't a fan of Taylor yesterday either. The offense we used yesterday wasn't anything special with Flacco. The Bengals also allowed a score when they were giving Taylor all kinds of room to work as a runner because they were overly focused on the run up the middle or focused on covering receivers. When their defense adjusted... our 2nd string offense couldn't do anything against their defense- at all. Basically Taylor only looked good the first few drives because of the element of surprise. But since he couldn't pass, the Bengals shut that down pretty darn quick.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt we draft a QB this year. I think the Ravens may bring in a veteran free agent QB this off season though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't want to go the veteran FA route again for QB.

I'd rather just draft a pass-first QB in the mid-rounds to develop.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the idea of trying to develop a backup. They aren't going to be ready if you need them. They won't get reps or playing time. I don't really believe it is even possible to take a bad QB and develop him to not suck.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I don't like the idea of trying to develop a backup. They aren't going to be ready if you need them. They won't get reps or playing time. I don't really believe it is even possible to take a bad QB and develop him to not suck.

With the right coaching you can. And then you either have an open competition for the starter's role, or you flip one of them for picks.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of decent, but not great QB prospects in this draft. If Aaron Murray declares and falls to the 4th, like I've seen him projected to, I would definitely jump on that. Otherwise, I'd look at someone in round 5-7. We should have a few comp picks in that area.

Last edited by wackywabbit on Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Integrity wrote:
I doubt we draft a QB this year. I think the Ravens may bring in a veteran free agent QB this off season though.

And if we got rid of Tyrod, that's the route I would want to take, unless people are trying to draft a new franchise QB while we still see what Flacco has.

However, if Flacco leads us to a ring this year, I'd be almost certain we don't draft a QB and we stick with a veteran backup.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I really doubt they dump Taylor and if they do anything with the QB position it's going to be adding a cheap veteran. From what I was reading this past off-season they wanted to use Taylor more on offense but since Painter didn't stick they couldn't risk it.

Taking a QB with the hope that they could develop him enough (and he would actually have to see the field too at some point) to become a valuable trading asset is a real long-shot. I'd rather they use their draft picks to focus on actual needs.
Bohlmann20

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Manti an option to replace Ray next season?
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, but it doesn't seem likely that they would spend what it would take to move up in the draft. To be honest I think ILB is just as big of a need now as it was before. Regardless of what Lewis was going to decide they still needed to add somebody there.

I'm guessing Ellerbe will probably be more of a priority free agent now and McClain probably won't get cut (not that I thought there was much of a chance of that happening before) so the Ravens aren't absolutely devoid of talent at that position. The coaches probably have a higher opinion of McClain than I (and a lot of other Ravens fans) do so if Ellerbe is brought back it might not even be viewed as that big of a need.

I still think they need to add a guy that compliments Ellerbe though. In my opinion McClain is absolutely average at best and his weaknesses are similar to Ellerbe's. They can probably get by with those two as the full-time starters but it's not ideal. However, I would hope that they look to address the pass-rush first if Kruger leaves in free agency like I think he will. If Reed retires or signs elsewhere then I think FS is a bigger need too.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Khaseem Greene. Awesome playmaker.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Maybe, but it doesn't seem likely that they would spend what it would take to move up in the draft. To be honest I think ILB is just as big of a need now as it was before. Regardless of what Lewis was going to decide they still needed to add somebody there.

I'm guessing Ellerbe will probably be more of a priority free agent now and McClain probably won't get cut (not that I thought there was much of a chance of that happening before) so the Ravens aren't absolutely devoid of talent at that position. The coaches probably have a higher opinion of McClain than I (and a lot of other Ravens fans) do so if Ellerbe is brought back it might not even be viewed as that big of a need.

I still think they need to add a guy that compliments Ellerbe though. In my opinion McClain is absolutely average at best and his weaknesses are similar to Ellerbe's. They can probably get by with those two as the full-time starters but it's not ideal. However, I would hope that they look to address the pass-rush first if Kruger leaves in free agency like I think he will. If Reed retires or signs elsewhere then I think FS is a bigger need too.

I definitely think it would cost too much for the Ravens to move up to get Te'o. And even if they did, there's no guarantee that other teams might not make their own moves. I'm sure the rest of the AFC North would love to have the guy, and I'd think Chicago would like the thought of him being Urlacher's successor.

So I think we're talking about having to move up ten to fifteen spots in the first round, and the teams in those positions are there because they aren't that good. They need to make their first round picks pay off, and will all have players in mind who won't be hanging around in the draft for very long.

I definitely think the Ravens need to make sure Ellerbe is re-signed, because even if they do draft ILB early, they'll still want experienced guys around whoever it is. And I agree that means keeping McClain as well.

An ILB unit of Ellerbe, McClain, Bynes and someone like Ogletree or Minter would look pretty solid going into next year, I think.

I think the Ravens need to get things straight with Ed Reed well in advance of the draft and free agency. Forget this 'I might play next year' nonsense he comes out with and have him commit to coming back, or cut ties. Because as great as he has been, and as much as he's loved, the Ravens need to use every bit of cap space they have.

If he decides to retire, then that money can be used to re-sign Kruger, and the Ravens know they need a Free Safety in the draft.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless if Reed comes back I don't think they will have enough to re-sign Kruger. From what I posted in the free agency thread they're going to be close to the cap Flacco signs a long-term deal or gets the franchise tag so they're going to have to make some moves just to fit his deal under the cap. After that it's going to be tough to do anything. Lewis retiring helps but I think those savings just get funneled into re-signing Ellerbe.

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I like Khaseem Greene. Awesome playmaker.

As do I. If the Ravens could get him in the second round it would be a great pick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: