Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ron Rivera Will Stay as Panthers Head Coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Toughguy77


Joined: 04 Sep 2009
Posts: 1928
Location: South Cackalack
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I'm honestly going to be upset if we can Rivera. I don't see who the upgrade is. Chip Kelly reportedly wants complete control, so I don't see him working out here. McCoy is a Fox protege, and he's doing exceptionally well in large part because of Peyton Manning. I know he made the playoffs with Tebow, but that was in a terrible division where 8 wins won it. Not to mention, Chud had DA playing like a great QB for a year. I'm not convinced by his resume. I don't want Reid, or Whisenhunt, or any of the retreads except maybe Lovie, so where is this huge upgrade that's going to instantly flip us into a playoff team?

I'm surprised you haven't thrown Grudens name into the mix
_________________

*2013 NFC South Champions* Panthers
Gamecocks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Panthers11


Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Posts: 24295
Location: FSU: Go Noles
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I'm honestly going to be upset if we can Rivera. I don't see who the upgrade is. Chip Kelly reportedly wants complete control, so I don't see him working out here. McCoy is a Fox protege, and he's doing exceptionally well in large part because of Peyton Manning. I know he made the playoffs with Tebow, but that was in a terrible division where 8 wins won it. Not to mention, Chud had DA playing like a great QB for a year. I'm not convinced by his resume. I don't want Reid, or Whisenhunt, or any of the retreads except maybe Lovie, so where is this huge upgrade that's going to instantly flip us into a playoff team?


Jim Harbaugh said the same thing. He just wants to have some say in what goes on. Kelly with a new GM would be ideal. A new GM could be helped by Kelly a la SF. Chud needs to be gone, regardless.
What Rivera did not do is surround himself with former HC's. Kelly with a solid DC such as Lovie would be ideal. Norv would be an ideal OC if we do not get Kelly.
_________________

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cypher


Joined: 04 Mar 2008
Posts: 2226
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers11 wrote:
Jim Harbaugh said the same thing. He just wants to have some say in what goes on. Kelly with a new GM would be ideal. A new GM could be helped by Kelly a la SF. Chud needs to be gone, regardless.
What Rivera did not do is surround himself with former HC's. Kelly with a solid DC such as Lovie would be ideal. Norv would be an ideal OC if we do not get Kelly.


I'd say there's less than a snowball's chance in hell of Lovie taking a DC job lol. He'll be a head coach somewhere by the end of next week, more than likely.
_________________

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Panthers11


Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Posts: 24295
Location: FSU: Go Noles
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Panthers11 wrote:
Jim Harbaugh said the same thing. He just wants to have some say in what goes on. Kelly with a new GM would be ideal. A new GM could be helped by Kelly a la SF. Chud needs to be gone, regardless.
What Rivera did not do is surround himself with former HC's. Kelly with a solid DC such as Lovie would be ideal. Norv would be an ideal OC if we do not get Kelly.


I'd say there's less than a snowball's chance in hell of Lovie taking a DC job lol. He'll be a head coach somewhere by the end of next week, more than likely.


Well yeah, he just popped into my mind because of today. Lovie to Arizona?
_________________

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cypher


Joined: 04 Mar 2008
Posts: 2226
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers11 wrote:
Well yeah, he just popped into my mind because of today. Lovie to Arizona?



Not sure there's enough talent in Arizona to lure Lovie, and I don't recall him having much experience coaching a 3-4 D. I could see him landing almost anywhere. San Diego, Philly, Cleveland, anywhere with a good base of talent on the roster.
_________________

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zithers


Joined: 15 Aug 2010
Posts: 1654
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i saw that we already requested to speak with marc ross. and someone said (didn't have source) that we also asked to interview dave gettleman.

pat yasinkas is saying we're favoring gettleman, schefter says ross is our leading candidate. yasinkas also said we might keep brandon beane though...

i'm not sure who i want more. gettleman was apart of a TON of super bowl teams. worked with accorsi, reese, polian (pre-carolina), and... whoever the GM of the late 90s broncos was. ross has helped draft some good guys in the past few years though i suppose... biggest, most surprising difference is that ross is 39 and gettleman is 62 Shocked
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Panthers11


Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Posts: 24295
Location: FSU: Go Noles
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Panthers11 wrote:
Well yeah, he just popped into my mind because of today. Lovie to Arizona?



Not sure there's enough talent in Arizona to lure Lovie, and I don't recall him having much experience coaching a 3-4 D. I could see him landing almost anywhere. San Diego, Philly, Cleveland, anywhere with a good base of talent on the roster.


Arizona has a great amount of talent on D. All they need is a QB. I mean, not all, but they are contenders with a QB. Campbell, Washington, Acho, Wilson, and Peterson are solid. Not to mention Fitz and Floyd on offense. Hell, they even have Jeff King!

As far as the GM, I would prefer Ross to Gettlemen. 62 years old? Geese.
_________________

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cypher


Joined: 04 Mar 2008
Posts: 2226
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers11 wrote:

Arizona has a great amount of talent on D. All they need is a QB. I mean, not all, but they are contenders with a QB. Campbell, Washington, Acho, Wilson, and Peterson are solid. Not to mention Fitz and Floyd on offense. Hell, they even have Jeff King!


I mean, yeah, the defensive talent is great, but let's not forget he just had to deal with a ramshackle o-line in Chicago. Arizona's is even worse. Laughing
_________________

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iknowcool


Joined: 15 Apr 2009
Posts: 13037
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
so i saw that we already requested to speak with marc ross. and someone said (didn't have source) that we also asked to interview dave gettleman.

pat yasinkas is saying we're favoring gettleman, schefter says ross is our leading candidate. yasinkas also said we might keep brandon beane though...

i'm not sure who i want more. gettleman was apart of a TON of super bowl teams. worked with accorsi, reese, polian (pre-carolina), and... whoever the GM of the late 90s broncos was. ross has helped draft some good guys in the past few years though i suppose... biggest, most surprising difference is that ross is 39 and gettleman is 62 Shocked


Don't listen to either of them.

Quote:
I get a kick out of the fact some national pundits make a guess at Panthers next GM/coach and people take it as fact. Truth is nobody knows.


This from Steve Reed's twitter. I trust Reed more than anybody regarding Carolina.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cypher


Joined: 04 Mar 2008
Posts: 2226
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
Zithers wrote:
so i saw that we already requested to speak with marc ross. and someone said (didn't have source) that we also asked to interview dave gettleman.

pat yasinkas is saying we're favoring gettleman, schefter says ross is our leading candidate. yasinkas also said we might keep brandon beane though...

i'm not sure who i want more. gettleman was apart of a TON of super bowl teams. worked with accorsi, reese, polian (pre-carolina), and... whoever the GM of the late 90s broncos was. ross has helped draft some good guys in the past few years though i suppose... biggest, most surprising difference is that ross is 39 and gettleman is 62 Shocked


Don't listen to either of them.

Quote:
I get a kick out of the fact some national pundits make a guess at Panthers next GM/coach and people take it as fact. Truth is nobody knows.


This from Steve Reed's twitter. I trust Reed more than anybody regarding Carolina.


CSR is reporting we've officially requested to talk to Marc Ross and Dave Gettleman. Wonder if that's true?
_________________

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iknowcool


Joined: 15 Apr 2009
Posts: 13037
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
iknowcool wrote:
Zithers wrote:
so i saw that we already requested to speak with marc ross. and someone said (didn't have source) that we also asked to interview dave gettleman.

pat yasinkas is saying we're favoring gettleman, schefter says ross is our leading candidate. yasinkas also said we might keep brandon beane though...

i'm not sure who i want more. gettleman was apart of a TON of super bowl teams. worked with accorsi, reese, polian (pre-carolina), and... whoever the GM of the late 90s broncos was. ross has helped draft some good guys in the past few years though i suppose... biggest, most surprising difference is that ross is 39 and gettleman is 62 Shocked


Don't listen to either of them.

Quote:
I get a kick out of the fact some national pundits make a guess at Panthers next GM/coach and people take it as fact. Truth is nobody knows.


This from Steve Reed's twitter. I trust Reed more than anybody regarding Carolina.


CSR is reporting we've officially requested to talk to Marc Ross and Dave Gettleman. Wonder if that's true?


Well I'd believe that over saying one person is the leading candidate when we haven't conducted interviews yet.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mad Man


Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 62
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be a mistake to fire Rivera. At the end of this season, the Panthers were playing better football than many of the teams that made the playoffs. Also, switching staff and schemes generally sets a team back.

Over the last two years we have lost so many close games. Had we won just a few of them Rivera's job wouldn't be in jeopardy at all. He played too conservatively (think Atlanta) at times, but he got a little more aggressive as the season progressed.

I also think Rivera was thrown into a situation with probably (not probably - definitely) the worst general manager in the league who had gutted the team for guys like Jeff Otah, Everette Brown, and Armanti Edwards as well as having overpaid just about every free agent on the team.

One thing I really like about Rivera (compared to Fox) is that he is willing to give guys a chance. Rivera is much better and churning the roster to find the best players whereas Fox would stick with the veterans way too long. We have a number of guys who are certainly serviceable NFL players because they have been given the opportunity to play.

Also, Newton really progressed well as this year played out. Newton stopped trying to do it all himself and became much more conscientious about getting first downs and protecting the ball. The last two years have been a learning experience for the coaches and the players, let's give this cast another year to see if they can make the playoffs.

I am going to be very disappointed if Rivera is fired and strongly believe he deserves another year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Panthers11


Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Posts: 24295
Location: FSU: Go Noles
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Man wrote:
I think it would be a mistake to fire Rivera. At the end of this season, the Panthers were playing better football than many of the teams that made the playoffs. Also, switching staff and schemes generally sets a team back.

Over the last two years we have lost so many close games. Had we won just a few of them Rivera's job wouldn't be in jeopardy at all. He played too conservatively (think Atlanta) at times, but he got a little more aggressive as the season progressed.

I also think Rivera was thrown into a situation with probably (not probably - definitely) the worst general manager in the league who had gutted the team for guys like Jeff Otah, Everette Brown, and Armanti Edwards as well as having overpaid just about every free agent on the team.

One thing I really like about Rivera (compared to Fox) is that he is willing to give guys a chance. Rivera is much better and churning the roster to find the best players whereas Fox would stick with the veterans way too long. We have a number of guys who are certainly serviceable NFL players because they have been given the opportunity to play.

Also, Newton really progressed well as this year played out. Newton stopped trying to do it all himself and became much more conscientious about getting first downs and protecting the ball. The last two years have been a learning experience for the coaches and the players, let's give this cast another year to see if they can make the playoffs.

I am going to be very disappointed if Rivera is fired and strongly believe he deserves another year.


Who cares how they were playing at the end of the year? They were playing this well last year as well. And you mention Rivera would have no problems if he won close games, well that's the problem. He can't.
_________________

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
schulman116


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 368
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers11 wrote:
Mad Man wrote:
I think it would be a mistake to fire Rivera. At the end of this season, the Panthers were playing better football than many of the teams that made the playoffs. Also, switching staff and schemes generally sets a team back.

Over the last two years we have lost so many close games. Had we won just a few of them Rivera's job wouldn't be in jeopardy at all. He played too conservatively (think Atlanta) at times, but he got a little more aggressive as the season progressed.

I also think Rivera was thrown into a situation with probably (not probably - definitely) the worst general manager in the league who had gutted the team for guys like Jeff Otah, Everette Brown, and Armanti Edwards as well as having overpaid just about every free agent on the team.

One thing I really like about Rivera (compared to Fox) is that he is willing to give guys a chance. Rivera is much better and churning the roster to find the best players whereas Fox would stick with the veterans way too long. We have a number of guys who are certainly serviceable NFL players because they have been given the opportunity to play.

Also, Newton really progressed well as this year played out. Newton stopped trying to do it all himself and became much more conscientious about getting first downs and protecting the ball. The last two years have been a learning experience for the coaches and the players, let's give this cast another year to see if they can make the playoffs.

I am going to be very disappointed if Rivera is fired and strongly believe he deserves another year.


Who cares how they were playing at the end of the year? They were playing this well last year as well. And you mention Rivera would have no problems if he won close games, well that's the problem. He can't.

^^ thank God someone with a working brain. Even though we were decimated by injuries at key positions this year, the fact remains when the game is close...we blow it. Rivera is a good man...I'm sure our players love him, and would be upset to see him fired.
The fact is he's in over his head as a "head coach" no pun intended. In crunch time he is constantly been way to conservative and we have been out coached in the 4th quarter many times.
I hope our new GM brings in a veteran experienced coaching staff to take us to the next level. As long as we have Ron, we will be stuck in mediocrity... 7-9/6-10 gets you canned in this business....Rivera, even though he's a good man...definately has not done his job well enough. I personally would be for going after Lovie Smith. He can get our defense back to the glory days. The possibility of Chip Kelly being the hire & running an offense with Cam/DeAngelo/J-Stew would be quite promising also.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fretgod99


Global Moderator
Joined: 05 Aug 2005
Posts: 18782
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rivera just finished his second year. Just saying, I believe that warrants some consideration.
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group