Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Underrated moves...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: The Underrated moves... Reply with quote

Like any Longboat, you need the right crew to get through choppy water. There were some moves I admit I didn't realize how important they were until the end of the year that helped navigate the Vikings to the playoffs.

- Jerome Felton. Signing a fullback in the NFL is risky business. The fullback position is pretty much an antique in a pass happy league. Felton also bounced around a lot in his three years in the league but Minnesota put him place to succeed.

- Blair Walsh. Underrated in the league and the reason why Minnesota is in the playoffs. Releasing a good kicker in Longwell is risky if you have a veteran in place. Releasing Longwell for a rookie kicker you don't have any idea about? That is a gutsy move. And in doing so, Minnesota found an absolute gem.

- Sticking with Ponder. It was ugly. Very, very ugly. But Ponder came up big. And I think it was the team effort of being behind the QB that helped Ponder shake some of the funk off. It could have been very easy to pull Ponder and bring in Webb but the coaches stuck by their guy and it led them to the promise land!

- Jarius Wright. Finally getting him on the field. He needs work but he completed some very key first downs for Minnesota down the stretch. He's not going to be a 1 or 2 receiver but he'll find his place as a 3rd if he continues to develop.

- Drafting Harrison Smith. This was a risky move. Draft charts said Minnesota over paid Baltimore with two high picks for Smith, who was all over the boards but most had him in the late 1st round to early 2nd round. He's definitely a rookie and has had some uneven play along with some very emotional outbursts but the guy gave some character, some moxy and some playmaking skills from a position Minnesota has struggled with since Sharper left. I'm glad Minnesota targeted him because he has really transformed our secondary. Just glad that Detroit didn't get him because I think he could have been an impact player for them.
Silver Bullet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post. It's funny cause everyone was laughing at us for jumping back into the 1st round to grab Harrison Smith, drafting a kicker that high, and drafting another Percy Harvin (Jarius Wright) but these turned out to be some of the most vital pieces of our success. This front office did an excellent job scouting and drafting this year.
El Raymundo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta say that I agree with all of the above. Well written, sir.

"Live as brave men; and if Fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -- Cicero
ruckusmh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly very few were criticizing the Smith pick itself, just the trading back into the first round to get him. That could still be warranted, but it's pretty clear at this point that as a PLAYER, he's quite good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: