Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Report: Titans Not Expected To Fire Munchak
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
coleman51 wrote:
Why do people think we need another DT? Or one in the first round for that matter?

I think the Marks/Casey/Klug/Martin rotation is solid. Not the best in the league, but why would DT even be a top 5 position of need?

Because we fail to collapse the pocket far to often and we get gashed up the middle too frequently.

Klug was invisible for most of the year. Marks maybe gone.
Martin is still an unproven player. He is still a rotational player at the moment.
A STUD DT would do nothing but help this team.

STUD DT or DE
MLB
CB
S
Are areas of need in my view of it.

Exactly. Marks is likely gone and Klug and Martin IMO will be nothing more then good rotation guys. Casey IMO is good starter but he's not the beast we've been missing since Big Al.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
With Gray as DC, Munch is going to look at why we got blown out. Keep in mind some of them blowouts weren't the defenses total fault.

Short Fields
Offensive woes
Special team failures
Pick 6's.

I think Munch will look at did they improve on their assignments throughout the year.
Did the failure come from poor play like from Griff and others... or bad play calls.
Could it improve with better players like a new DT, CB and Safety or is the scheme flawed?

I think we saw at the end, the scheme could work given proper play and playcalling. Playing lower competition doesn't hurt.
I recall against the Patriots, we tried blizting couple times only to see Griff mess up horribly on coverage and the LB (McCarthy) not get there, resulting in a big gain and another in TD.
Then we didn't blitz anymore that game.

So aggressive play can come when the players can be trusted to carry out their assignment.

This isnt a defense of Gray, but an look into what I think Munch will be thinking.

Actually KT I feel what you're saying on a lot of this. Our offense has been looking like sh-t plain and simple and hopefully Tom Moore can fix that for us...if we're smart about keeping him on as the OC.

And of course a scheme can improve with better players. Like I was explaining to someone the other day when we were going over our past defensive woes. You either need to have some elite players or a real kickass scheme if not both. You can't have decent but average players with a basic scheme and expect to compete with real contenders in the NFL. Not saying that Gray's scheme is "basic", and I don't think his scheme is even flawed, but his playcalling was very passive mainly against good teams. What we did against teams like the Jets, Jacksonville and Miami was nice to see, but it was nothing to write home about because they're bad teams. But if this is how Mike is looking at it, I can understand that because there's a lot to factor in.

Aggressive play can work when you know who to use in certain situations. I think he's still figuring out how to use the talent we got. You don't use McCarthy to blitz, you let him guard the checkdown and/or spy the QB. You send either Ayers or Brown because they're two of the fastest and athletic LBs in the league. Ayers used to blitz in college, so it's nothing new to him. It wasn't till later on in the season when we started using Ayers on the end to rush the passer on passing downs. Then we started sending Brown, just as an example. I want more aggression because I want to instill an attitude in our defense. All of that 30 yard deep zone, playing on our heels and still losing anyway is absolute BS. If we can't get rid of Griffin, just bench him or severely limit his PT, or just let him play ST. Bottom line, having him on the field hurts us more than it helps. Right now we got very good talent on our defense and just need a couple of pieces to plug in the right spots.

The way I see it, we need...

1. That one impact DT along side of Casey who can eat up a couple of blockers and push and plug that pocket in the middle. I'm good with Morgan and Wimbley starting at DE, we just need solid depth. And I'm good with the rest of our D-line. (FA or Draft)

2. A SS who can run support and make solid tackles. Markelle Martin will join the lineup and should take over that spot. Then we need to find a FS who can cover downfield. (FA or Draft)

3. O-line depth (OG/OT/C) to either replace or train behind aging linemen. Our starters should be back and the line should be solid. Keep Velasco at C and move Amano back to OG permanently. (Draft)

4. Get another RB to share the workload with CJ2K. Preferably more of a power runner with some speed who can wear down a defense. CJ2K can't break tackles and is going to get worn down before too long. Bring back Smash 'n' Dash and give the QB more relief. (Draft or FA)

5. Get better DB depth (CB and S). Once and for all start Tommie Campbell at the #2 spot because of his size, speed and skill and move Verner to NB where he can use his instincts to make plays better.

6. Get better WR depth. Get rid of Williams, and let Lavelle and Preston compete for his spot. Work Mariani into the lineup and only do kickoff returns. (Draft)

7. MLB to compete with Zac Diles for the backup spot. (Draft)

Flylow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dionysus wrote:
KingTitan wrote:
With Gray as DC, Munch is going to look at why we got blown out. Keep in mind some of them blowouts weren't the defenses total fault.

Short Fields
Offensive woes
Special team failures
Pick 6's.

I think Munch will look at did they improve on their assignments throughout the year.
Did the failure come from poor play like from Griff and others... or bad play calls.
Could it improve with better players like a new DT, CB and Safety or is the scheme flawed?

I think we saw at the end, the scheme could work given proper play and playcalling. Playing lower competition doesn't hurt.
I recall against the Patriots, we tried blizting couple times only to see Griff mess up horribly on coverage and the LB (McCarthy) not get there, resulting in a big gain and another in TD.
Then we didn't blitz anymore that game.

So aggressive play can come when the players can be trusted to carry out their assignment.

This isnt a defense of Gray, but an look into what I think Munch will be thinking.

Actually KT I feel what you're saying on a lot of this. Our offense has been looking like sh-t plain and simple and hopefully Tom Moore can fix that for us...if we're smart about keeping him on as the OC.

And of course a scheme can improve with better players. Like I was explaining to someone the other day when we were going over our past defensive woes. You either need to have some elite players or a real kickass scheme if not both. You can't have decent but average players with a basic scheme and expect to compete with real contenders in the NFL. Not saying that Gray's scheme is "basic", and I don't think his scheme is even flawed, but his playcalling was very passive mainly against good teams. What we did against teams like the Jets, Jacksonville and Miami was nice to see, but it was nothing to write home about because they're bad teams. But if this is how Mike is looking at it, I can understand that because there's a lot to factor in.

Aggressive play can work when you know who to use in certain situations. I think he's still figuring out how to use the talent we got. You don't use McCarthy to blitz, you let him guard the checkdown and/or spy the QB. You send either Ayers or Brown because they're two of the fastest and athletic LBs in the league. Ayers used to blitz in college, so it's nothing new to him. It wasn't till later on in the season when we started using Ayers on the end to rush the passer on passing downs. Then we started sending Brown, just as an example. I want more aggression because I want to instill an attitude in our defense. All of that 30 yard deep zone, playing on our heels and still losing anyway is absolute BS. If we can't get rid of Griffin, just bench him or severely limit his PT, or just let him play ST. Bottom line, having him on the field hurts us more than it helps. Right now we got very good talent on our defense and just need a couple of pieces to plug in the right spots.

The way I see it, we need...

1. That one impact DT along side of Casey who can eat up a couple of blockers and push and plug that pocket in the middle. I'm good with Morgan and Wimbley starting at DE, we just need solid depth. And I'm good with the rest of our D-line. (FA or Draft)

2. A SS who can run support and make solid tackles. Markelle Martin will join the lineup and should take over that spot. Then we need to find a FS who can cover downfield. (FA or Draft)

3. O-line depth (OG/OT/C) to either replace or train behind aging linemen. Our starters should be back and the line should be solid. Keep Velasco at C and move Amano back to OG permanently. (Draft)

4. Get another RB to share the workload with CJ2K. Preferably more of a power runner with some speed who can wear down a defense. CJ2K can't break tackles and is going to get worn down before too long. Bring back Smash 'n' Dash and give the QB more relief. (Draft or FA)

5. Get better DB depth (CB and S). Once and for all start Tommie Campbell at the #2 spot because of his size, speed and skill and move Verner to NB where he can use his instincts to make plays better.

6. Get better WR depth. Get rid of Williams, and let Lavelle and Preston compete for his spot. Work Mariani into the lineup and only do kickoff returns. (Draft)

7. MLB to compete with Zac Diles for the backup spot. (Draft)

While I think a new DC is the way to go, I do agree with your assessment of the team and it's talent/needs.

Very good post.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: