Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The don't freak out about last night's game mock
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
HyponGrey


Joined: 23 Jun 2012
Posts: 3691
Location: SNJ
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Why wouldn't the Packers go offensive line a little earlier in the draft? Rodgers gets hit and sacked too much imo. I'd be wanting to protect that golden arm at all costs.
Because we already have the OL in place, theyre just hurt right now?
_________________
Stop me if you've heard this one: a stockholder and a skypilot walk into a bar...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vikefan79


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29761
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
Why wouldn't the Packers go offensive line a little earlier in the draft? Rodgers gets hit and sacked too much imo. I'd be wanting to protect that golden arm at all costs.
Because we already have the OL in place, theyre just hurt right now?


Maybe draft some guys that are more reliable and can stay healthy 16 games a year. Rodgers goes down and the Packers season goes down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justo


Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 12951
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
Why wouldn't the Packers go offensive line a little earlier in the draft? Rodgers gets hit and sacked too much imo. I'd be wanting to protect that golden arm at all costs.
Because we already have the OL in place, theyre just hurt right now?


Maybe draft some guys that are more reliable and can stay healthy 16 games a year. Rodgers goes down and the Packers season goes down.
I wish we weren't in a position where our 2010 and 2011 picks were 1st rounders though. OG is locked up at this point, too. So no point in bumping someone inside. Only OL position I can see Green Bay taking early is C if Barrett Jones or Cooper are on the board TBH.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Vikefan79


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29761
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
Why wouldn't the Packers go offensive line a little earlier in the draft? Rodgers gets hit and sacked too much imo. I'd be wanting to protect that golden arm at all costs.
Because we already have the OL in place, theyre just hurt right now?


Maybe draft some guys that are more reliable and can stay healthy 16 games a year. Rodgers goes down and the Packers season goes down.
I wish we weren't in a position where our 2010 and 2011 picks were 1st rounders though. OG is locked up at this point, too. So no point in bumping someone inside. Only OL position I can see Green Bay taking early is C if Barrett Jones or Cooper are on the board TBH.


This draft has some really good lineman that will be available when the Packers pick. The last thing Rodgers needs is another receiver especially in the 1st or second round. I don't disagree with the defensive tackle especially with Pickett being 33.

Rodgers when he can make the throws he needs to is the deadliest QB in the NFL. There isn't another QB in the NFL that has his precision accuracy or throws on the run as well as he does. I think the Packers need protect him at all costs. You guys know your team better than I do but I wanted to share my thoughts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HyponGrey


Joined: 23 Jun 2012
Posts: 3691
Location: SNJ
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
Why wouldn't the Packers go offensive line a little earlier in the draft? Rodgers gets hit and sacked too much imo. I'd be wanting to protect that golden arm at all costs.
Because we already have the OL in place, theyre just hurt right now?


Maybe draft some guys that are more reliable and can stay healthy 16 games a year. Rodgers goes down and the Packers season goes down.
2 freak injuries do not qualify equivalate to "unreliable"

I know what I am about to say sounds REALLY bad, but believe me when I say I don't mean it like that. You should stick to your own team.
_________________
Stop me if you've heard this one: a stockholder and a skypilot walk into a bar...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justo


Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 12951
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
This draft has some really good lineman that will be available when the Packers pick. The last thing Rodgers needs is another receiver especially in the 1st or second round. I don't disagree with the defensive tackle especially with Pickett being 33.

Rodgers when he can make the throws he needs to is the deadliest QB in the NFL. There isn't another QB in the NFL that has his precision accuracy or throws on the run as well as he does. I think the Packers need protect him at all costs. You guys know your team better than I do but I wanted to share my thoughts.


I'm not in the WR boat either. We get both starting OTs back next year and Nelson/Cobb/Jennings haven't been healthy at the same time since week 4 IIRC. I don't think WR is that pressing of a need (next year if we don't get anyone, sure.) I'd probably go DL (Raji/Pickett only guys that can play NT, could both be gone a year from now, Wilson is the other starter and that's not long term. Worthy is on the come up, Neal is a pass rush only guy, Daniels on the come up late in the reason) if we were picking our #1 need round one. Maybe a FS? Not sure. Depends how the board shakes out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Vikefan79


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29761
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
Why wouldn't the Packers go offensive line a little earlier in the draft? Rodgers gets hit and sacked too much imo. I'd be wanting to protect that golden arm at all costs.
Because we already have the OL in place, theyre just hurt right now?


Maybe draft some guys that are more reliable and can stay healthy 16 games a year. Rodgers goes down and the Packers season goes down.
2 freak injuries do not qualify equivalate to "unreliable"

I know what I am about to say sounds REALLY bad, but believe me when I say I don't mean it like that. You should stick to your own team.


Oh that's a given. Just wanted to share my perspective. Rodgers was sacks 51 times this season. That almost 20 more times than Ponder was sacked with Rodgers throwing the ball just 70 more times.

Ponder isn't as smart with the ball and understanding where his receivers and his protection is so Rodgers getting sacked that many times is concerning. I'd hate to see a great player like Rodgers get hurt. He may tear our secondary a new one everytime we play but he's still a great player to watch and someone I'll appreciate and miss when he's gone from the NFL.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
packattack86


Joined: 20 Sep 2009
Posts: 2903
Location: Springfield, IL
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not opposed to Short or Patterson, but I'd like to see a guy like Barrett Jones or Jesse Willams w/ the 1st pick. Jones is a swiss army knife quality lineman, and Williams can bed the heir apparent to Pickett at NT.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
British


Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 589
Location: England
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Why wouldn't the Packers go offensive line a little earlier in the draft? Rodgers gets hit and sacked too much imo. I'd be wanting to protect that golden arm at all costs.


I personally like hearing other fans perspectives on the Packers. We've actually invested a lot in the OL in recent years. We current have two recent 1st round OTs coming back from IR next year. That means we have Newhouse and Barclay as backups as well as Andrew Datko on the PS. That's five OTs. We're set with our starters at OG too. What we do need is more depth along the interior.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SE500


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 524
Location: WISCONSIN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our offensive line for next year is pretty much set with the exception of center. Newhouse, Bulaga, Sherrod, Barclay at OT. We have our starters at guard, and there will be competition at backup, maybe with a draft pick involved. I could see a center fairly early.



"Because it costs too much, and we hate using the tag? Plus tag and trade doesn't always (read: ever) work. Why give up a pick when you can sign him next year?"

Based on your logic New England never would have tagged Welker last year, or would this year. Thompson would have never tagged Corey Williams. Why give up a pick when you can sign him NEXT year you say? It's all about this year, and who's to say you would have a chance at him next year anyway?

When you tag a player you must be in a position to keep him. We are in terms of Jennings. I don't think we would though, we would get trade offers. New England tagged and paid Welker with no intention of trading him. We would have plenty of opportunity to trade Jennings to a team willing to give him a long term contract. This way we also have some control over his destination.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
svp


Joined: 11 Sep 2011
Posts: 988
Location: I took a football shaped pill and felt better.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

British wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
Why wouldn't the Packers go offensive line a little earlier in the draft? Rodgers gets hit and sacked too much imo. I'd be wanting to protect that golden arm at all costs.


I personally like hearing other fans perspectives on the Packers.


Yeah I like it too. At first I was ??? but now it is refreshing to hear another point of view. It's like a friendly neighborhood nod and chat.
_________________
svp wrote:
Who cares?


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HyponGrey


Joined: 23 Jun 2012
Posts: 3691
Location: SNJ
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SE500 wrote:
Based on your logic New England never would have tagged Welker last year, or would this year. Thompson would have never tagged Corey Williams. Why give up a pick when you can sign him NEXT year you say? It's all about this year, and who's to say you would have a chance at him next year anyway?

When you tag a player you must be in a position to keep him. We are in terms of Jennings. I don't think we would though, we would get trade offers. New England tagged and paid Welker with no intention of trading him. We would have plenty of opportunity to trade Jennings to a team willing to give him a long term contract. This way we also have some control over his destination.
Teams hate using the tag, It's a fact, might want to consider why.

I don't believe we would get trade offers, and letting him go we would get comped for him anyway. It's just a difference of opinion, though i'd actually like to see who the average joe prefers compared to what the more connected fans prefer. Not sure which camp I'm in to that respect
_________________
Stop me if you've heard this one: a stockholder and a skypilot walk into a bar...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SE500


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 524
Location: WISCONSIN
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Teams hate using the tag, It's a fact, might want to consider why."

Oh, I have considered why. I also have witnessed teams do that very thing, even the Packers under Thompson. There is a time and place for everything. Like New England did and will again if they must with Welker, I believe we are in position to tag Jennings. We can certainly keep him, but many teams would be willing to trade for him at a reasonable cost. A 2 is very reasonable, I think a 2 AND 3 more like it.

Comp? That would happen for us a year later and at best a late 3. We could easily get an earlier 3 for this years draft rather than wait another year for a later 3. (at best) But he will bring more than a 3 in trade. A very long list of teams looking for a veteran receiver of his ability who could easily play at a high level for a number of years yet. He could be just enough to push their offense over the top and bring relief to their QB. Dolphins and Colts top my list, but there are many. Bring in Greg Jennings and it doesn't even cost you a 1st round pick?? No brainer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
joeybrowner47


Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Posts: 101
Location: forest lake,mn
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been wondering for awhile why it is that tt never drafts a running back in the first round. i cant imagine your offense with a guy like doug martin, who you could have taken instead of perry. i dont think theres a team in the league that could score enough points to beat you. just my two cents.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
British


Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 589
Location: England
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joeybrowner47 wrote:
ive been wondering for awhile why it is that tt never drafts a running back in the first round. i cant imagine your offense with a guy like doug martin, who you could have taken instead of perry. i dont think theres a team in the league that could score enough points to beat you. just my two cents.


TT drafted Shaun Alexander in the first round.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group