Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Search for the next GM
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zithers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: The Search for the next GM Reply with quote

Well now that the season is over and we've had a two month head-start on everyone, we should have a new GM by the end of the week. Who do you want? Here's some profiles on who will more than likely be our next general manager.

The Main Candidates

Marc Ross, Director of College Scouting for the New York Giants
Former Positions: Scout for Eagles and Bills (97-00, 2004-06), Director of College Scouting for Eagles from 2000-04.
Interview History: Bears, Seahawks, Colts
Misc: Has been a hot candidate but failed to actually snag a job. Too young and by-the-book (he went to Yale)? Reported to be favorite for the Panthers opening by Adam Schefter. We've already requested to speak with him.

David Gettleman, Senior Pro Personnel Analyst for the New York Giants
Former Positions: Director of Pro Personnel for the Giants (1999-2011), Scout for the Bills (1987-92), Scout for Broncos (1994-97)
Interview History: Browns
Misc: Has four Super Bowl rings. Worked with Bill Polian pre-Carolina. Worked with Ernie Accorsi for nearly a decade. Was recommended to Cleveland by him. Pat Yasinkas says Gettleman is the favorite for the job and we have also requested to interview him.

Tom Gamble, Director of Player Personnel for San Francisco 49ers
Former Positions: Director of Pro Personnel for 49ers (2004-2011), Scout for Panthers, Ravens, Colts from 1996-2004.
Interview history: Rams... also has been requested to speak with the Jets, Jaguars, and Chargers today.
Misc: He worked with Bill Polian post-Carolina so he may have zero interest from what he's heard.

Eric DeCosta, Assistant General Manager for the Baltimore Ravens
Former Positions: Area Scout, Director of College Scouting, Director of Player Personnel... all for the Ravens (1998-present)
Interview History: Rams, Colts, Bears, Raiders all put in requests last season.
Misc: He turned all of those interviews down. Seems like he is waiting for Ozzie Newsome to retire.

Steve Keim, Vice President of Player Personnel for the Arizona Cardinals
Former Positions: Director of Player Personnel (2008-11), Director of College Scouting (2006-07), Scout (1999-2006)... all for the Cardinals
Interview History: Rams... presumably will interview with the Cardinals who have just fired GM Rod Graves.
Misc: Reportedly wanted Jay Cutler and Adrian Peterson instead of Matt Leinart and Levi Brown. Ha, imagine if that happened. Accorsi has reportedly looked into him but there's been no request to for an interview.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeCosta has stated he is staying in Balt.
Gamble is highly sought after, which means we won't get him.
Gettleman is too old.

MARC ROSS.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
BringinDaPain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc Ross hands down.

2012 DROY Winner - Luke Kuechly 164 tackles, 2 Int, 1 sack, 11 TFLs, 8 PD and 3 Fumble recoveries
Luke Kuechly - 2013 Defensive Player of the Year
boondock

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we landed Marc Ross and he was a homerun, he could easily be our GM for the next 25 years based on his age.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all the reasons everyone has already stated, I like Marc Ross for the job.

Let's face it, the Giants know how to build a roster. Ross plays a part in that; we want anyone who can evaluate talent like that and build a core of players (some of which we have in place) for years and years to come.

Thanks to JammerHammer21 for the sig - Let The Riv-Era Begin!
panattack86

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love it if we got tom gamble. Love what hes done in san fran.

But ross is probably gonna b the guy
Zithers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Steve Keim might be getting the shaft from Arizona if the rumors about Heckert/Reid are true.

Only interviewing with San Diego as far as I know.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give the 1st call to Bill Polian and open the checkbook to him. He did such a great job while he was here that he got a promotion to the GM job with the Colts. In 2 years he created a team that went to the NFC championship and lost to the Brett Favre led Packers in 96. He was the one that drafted Peyton Manning with the Colts INSTEAD of Ryan Leaf. Great vision and track record for the GM position. Hands down my pick and would have total control and autonomy for my team. I want someone proven! If not Polian, THEN Ross, in that order.
BringinDaPain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighPointNCKid wrote:
I would give the 1st call to Bill Polian and open the checkbook to him. He did such a great job while he was here that he got a promotion to the GM job with the Colts. In 2 years he created a team that went to the NFC championship and lost to the Brett Favre led Packers in 96. He was the one that drafted Peyton Manning with the Colts INSTEAD of Ryan Leaf. Great vision and track record for the GM position. Hands down my pick and would have total control and autonomy for my team. I want someone proven! If not Polian, THEN Ross, in that order.

Don't remember where I saw it but Polian has stated that he would never work for the Panthers again.

2012 DROY Winner - Luke Kuechly 164 tackles, 2 Int, 1 sack, 11 TFLs, 8 PD and 3 Fumble recoveries
Luke Kuechly - 2013 Defensive Player of the Year
Zithers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill polian and jerry richardson despise each other.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: I seen this from another place & this is Marc Ross draft Reply with quote

1. David Wilson, RB. Looked like a bust for most of the year, turned it on toward the end. Jury is out.
2. Rueben Randle, WR. Looked solid as far as I saw. Nothing special. Jury is out.
3. Jayron Hosley, CB. Started 1/3 of the season, played in another 1/3. Decent stats. Jury is out.
4. Adrien Robinson, TE. I dunno. Jury is out.
5. Brandon Mosley, OT. Did they want two guys in the same draft with rhyming last names? I dunno, jury is out.
6. Matt McCants, OT. I dunno. Jury is out.
7. Markus Kuhn, DT. I dunno. Jury is out.

1. Prince Amukamara, CB. I haven't heard much about him other than he's been injured a lot. Jury is out, but trending toward bust as far as I know.
2. Marvin Austin, DT. Ditto with Amukamara.
3. Jerrel Jernigan, WR. Armanti-esque receiving stats, but I think he's a ST contributor. Jury is out (but seemingly comparable to Armanti).
4. James Brewer, OT. I seem to recall hearing good things about him before the draft, but I don't know much about him since. Jury is out.
6. Greg Jones, LB. Cut after 1 season. Wasted pick.
6. Tyler Sash, S. Still on the team, judging by his stats he's a special teamer. Decent enough for a 6th.
6. Jacquian Williams, LB. Had a sack in each of his two years. 5 total starts. Solid production out of a 6th.
7. Da'rel Scott, RB. Dunno, but they spent the next year's first pick on a RB and this guy isn't in their top 3 or 4 RBs so I'm guessing he's either PS or cut. Wasted pick, but whatever it's a 7th.

1. JPP, DE. Good rookie year, phenomenal sophomore year, severe regression his third year. Not too concerned with this year's performance. Outstanding pick, considering how risky of a pick he was.
2. Linval Joseph, DT. Solid guy, think he's a starter at least half the time. Good pick.
3. Chad Jones, S. Cut after 2 years. Wasted pick.
4. Phillip Dillard, LB. Cut after his first year. Wasted pick.
5. Mitch Petrus, G. Cut in his third year, only 3 total starts. Wasted pick.
6. Adrian Tracy, LB. Had a FF and a sack this year. Solid production out of a 6th.
7. Matt Dodge, P. Cut after two bad season. Not good for a P that a pick was spent on.
UDFA. Jake Ballard, TE. Starter last year, stolen by the Pats before this year. Helped them in the Super Bowl. Great UDFA signing, even if it was a brief stint in NY.
UDFA. Victor Cruz, WR. Homerun, nuff said.

1. Hakeem Nicks, WR. Great pick.
2. Clint Sintim, LB. Cut after two poor season, terrible pick.
2. William Beatty, OT. Mostly a starter the past two years. Famous for his eye injury a couple years ago. Solid pick, if underwhelming.
3. Ramses Barden, WR. Despite looking like an all world WR in the game against us, he's done basically nothing for the rest of his career. Looking like a poor pick, but has a minor chance of redeeming himself.
3. Travis Beckum, TE. Started a game in each of his first two years, hasn't done much. Maybe's he's just a blocking TE, I dunno. Looking like a poor pick.
4. Andre Brown, RB. See Ramses Barden.
5. Rhett Bomar, QB. Cut after 3 years. Wasted pick.
6. Deandre Wright, CB. Never played. Wasted pick.
7. Stoney Woodson, CB. Great name, did nothing. Wasted pick.

1. Kenny Phillips, S. Good year in 2011, decent year in 2010. Oft injured. As a 1st round pick I'd call him a bust, some may not.
2. Terrell Thomas, CB. Good when he's playing, IR the past two years. As an evaluation of talent, I'd call him a successful pick but in terms of what they've gotten out of him for the pick they spent, not a great pick. Can't hold it against Ross any more than you can hold Otah against Hurney.
3. Mario Manningham, WR. Decent player. Only got 1 contract worth of time out of him, but good enough value for a 3rd.
4. Bryan Kehl, LB. Not terrible in his first year, worse in his 2nd, injured his 3rd then cut. Wasted pick.
5. Jonathan Goff, LB. Played for 4 years, not a bad player. Decent value for a 5th.
6. Andre Woodson, QB. Played 2 years, wasted pick.
6. Robert Henderson, DE. Ditto.
7. Traded to KC for Lawrence Tynes. Good use of a 7th, but I don't think Ross would have had anything to do with that.

So I noticed a few of things compiling this list. Firstly, he really doesn't seem like that much better of a drafter than Hurney was. Good in the 1st (though I'd give Hurney the edge, Ross has some borderline picks like Amukamara and Phillips) but not much else in the other rounds other than the occasional contributor. He hit a home run in Cruz, similar to how Hurney hit a homerun in the 6th in Hardy and good pick in the 7th in Capt. Secondly, he loves RBs and LBs like Hurney. 6 LBs and 3 RBs taken in 5 drafts. I think that's more LBs and the same number of RBs as Hurney in the same period. Also, he doesn't like DE's as much as the saying goes. He's only drafted two, one in the 1st, one in the 6th. The DE stockpiling looks like a Giant thing, not a Ross thing. The others (Tuck, Osi, Kiwanuka) were taken before Ross took over as scouting director.
Zithers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chad jones wasn't a wasted pick. he got in a car crash that almost killed him/ended his career...

though i'd agree that his track record with the giants isn't very impressive.

anyway, we'll be interviewing minnesota's assistant GM george paton.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the looks of it, Tom Cable is going to end up with the Jets. Jets' owner Woody Johnson has put the full court press on him becoming the next GM for them. Cable canceled his 2nd interview with the Jaguars to sort out details for his contract with the Jets.
Zithers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMG wrote:
From the looks of it, Tom Cable is going to end up with the Jets. Jets' owner Woody Johnson has put the full court press on him becoming the next GM for them. Cable canceled his 2nd interview with the Jaguars to sort out details for his contract with the Jets.

gamble, not cable lol.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
And as @JayGlazer reported, Panthers and Browns have requested permission to interview Minnesota's George Paton for their GM jobs.

Joe Person ‏@josephperson
Panthers next will begin interviewing GM candidates on Monday. Acting GM Brandon Beane very much in the mix .

Quote:
Long-time Canadian Football League general manager Jim Popp is getting some attention and likely will be one of five or six candidates to interview for the job next week, according to league sources. Although Popp has spent the bulk of his career in Canada, he does have some ties to the Carolinas.

Hes a native of Elkin, N.C., and also was an assistant coach at The Citadel and the University of North Carolina. Owner Jerry Richardson is a North Carolina native, and has always shown a willingness to hire people from the Carolinas.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/43885/panthers-gm-search-may-cross-border

Thanks CK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: