Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots Draft Prospects 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young juice wrote:
All these mock drafts have the Pats selecting WR

don't we have more pressing needs?

No.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
Nihc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. DT, OG, RE, S, CB, OC.

2014 Adopt-a-Patriot - Dominique Easley
Tackles: 0 | Sacks: 0 | QB Hits: 0 | TFL: 0 | Fumble Recoveries: 0
Donut

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nihc wrote:

I think WR is bigger need than C. Wendell isn't that bad and Jones is our RE and either way Nink is not a guy that has to be replaced. I'd say WR is bigger need than OL in general.

As for 1st rounder I think we'll take a DT or S. I really like Elam and Vaccaro as S. DT depends on who falls but I need to watch more of (Short, Floyd, Jenkins and Williams).
young juice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think OL is a need since Conolly and Mankins both have injury problems. Vollmer may leave. OL could be addressed in later rounds.

DL is also an issue but not that big of an issue. All we really need is someone on the opposite side of Jones that will cause havoc so he is free to do what he was doing in the beginning of the season. Instead of that maybe someone next to Wilfork who can take advantage of what Wilfork does. IDK how deep the draft is at DL but maybe we could get one in the later rounds.

After looking it over I think WR is tied with DB for a need.

At DB the team has to decide if McCourty is going to remain a safety or go back to CB and if they are going to resign Talib. Even if they do resign Talib the team SHOULD draft a CB. Arrington will be gone and who knows about Dowling's injruy history. Dennard and Talib are good starters but maybe someone like Rhodes would be good. Hope they also retain Cole & Martin. IDK about Williams.

At S Gregory and Chung will both be gone. Will Wilson be ready to start next year and will Ebner be a reliable backup? IDK about S I think CB would be a bigger need than S in my opinion.

Now that I have actually thought about it more I can see why some people would think WR is a big need. My thinking was because of our 2 great TEs and our good RBs as well as a few good WR that WR wasn't an issue. Now analyzing it.

Welker is going to be a Free Agent. In my humble opinion he is a product of his chemistry with Brady and would not do as well if he got more money signing with a crap team. If he signed with a team that had one of the elite QBs it would be a different story but I think the Patriots is where he should stay and he should take 9 million or less. But what do I know? I just think this team should resign Vollmer and extend Spikes before locking up Welker.

If Welker was to leave Edelman and Branch are also free agents. I think Edelman will be resigned Branch is old and would most likely be kept on emergency list. Same with Stallworth. We would still have Lloyd. Maybe the team could make a play for Jennings, Wallace or Bowe but I doubt it. If anyone it could be Jennings.

For WR I know NBT knows all about them. I see in mocks the Patriots always drafting Austin. He is 5'9 and this team has lacked a tall deep threat since the traded away Moss so I hope they would get a guy like that in the first round IF they chose a WR in the first round. Maybe if Allen or Hunter are available when the Pats draft in the first they could draft them.

I know NBT was/is big on Patterson

925 to 617 to 805

RIP Marquise Hill (August 8, 1982 May 28, 2007)
RIP Sean Taylor (April 1, 1983 November 27, 2007)

Richter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would Gregory be gone? The Patriots have him signed relatively cheaply for two more years.

Though I do agree with potentially going offensive line early, depending on what happens with Vollmer. Not interior, but if one of the premier tackles (Joeckel, Matthews or Lewan) slips to the end of the first, I could see it. As things currently stand, I still want Milliner or Rhodes in the first, followed by the best DT and DE available.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a looooot of guys I owuld get excited about drafting. Patterson and Coleman have the potential to be all universe good. Coleman would need a year or so before becoming the go to guy. Patterson's contributions at receiver would be limited, though he would be one of the best kick & punt returners in the league.

If we are looking for a guy who can play & play very well right away at receiver, Terrence Williams form Baylor is the guy. I don't know if h if he will be available though, and do not favor a trade up.

TBH I would like to trade our first pick back, and then snag a guy like Coleman to play opposite Lloyd. But, if we don't trade, and Williams or Patterson are available, we need to pull the trigger. Williams is the most pro ready receiver, while Patterson is the best combination of "pro ready" and "potential".

CP is a Julio/Calvin type of athlete.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
young juice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though Gregory was only 1 year deal. Anyways he isn't that good and could be gone by the beginning of next season.

925 to 617 to 805

Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nihc wrote:
OC isn't a need. Wendell has been above average this season and if he slips, Connolly can be shifted there and not miss a beat.

I think

#1 DT [specifically a pass-rushing 3-tech]
#2 SS
#3 DE
#4 CB
#5 WR

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much to be determined as far as needs go with the number of key guys up for new contracts (Vollmer, Talib, Welker, Arrington, Chung most notably).

DT and SS have to be priorities, with CB and WR possibly big holes depending on free agency.

They really need a LE who can hold up against the run and be more disruptive than Ninkovich but I think they're probably okay with him for another year unless a great value drops in their lap. More depth is needed there though.

Should be an interesting free agency period, though the draft doesn't particularly look like it's going to be a big help.
young juice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrington and Chung should be let go.

925 to 617 to 805

Richter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Chung is a key guy, the Pats are in more trouble than I thought...
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:

He's a key guy insofar as it's a hole that needs to be filled and finding even a mediocre safety is difficult (both in general and in New England). He's not good, but he's known mediocrity (or a little worse). I'm still not convinced they'll find an upgrade anywhere unless they want to invest big bucks in a free agent. How many draft picks are likely enough to be better than Chung/Gregory/Wilson to be worth pulling the trigger on? Probably nobody outside of the top 50 picks in this draft.
Richter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:

He's a key guy insofar as it's a hole that needs to be filled and finding even a mediocre safety is difficult (both in general and in New England). He's not good, but he's known mediocrity (or a little worse). I'm still not convinced they'll find an upgrade anywhere unless they want to invest big bucks in a free agent. How many draft picks are likely enough to be better than Chung/Gregory/Wilson to be worth pulling the trigger on? Probably nobody outside of the top 50 picks in this draft.

I like this safety class compared to last year's, and Vaccaro, Jefferson and some of the bigger corner prospects could all end up being considerable upgrades. Or they could look at the free agent class, though that seems less likely.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:

I like this safety class compared to last year's, and Vaccaro, Jefferson and some of the bigger corner prospects could all end up being considerable upgrades. Or they could look at the free agent class, though that seems less likely.

Personally, I don't see them pulling the trigger on a SS in the 1st round unless they make some big moves in FA. As much of a problem as that spot is, it's not worth prioritizing over a DT or WR (if Welker leaves). Not sold on Vaccaro either.
Patsdood...1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:

Personally, I don't see them pulling the trigger on a SS in the 1st round unless they make some big moves in FA. As much of a problem as that spot is, it's not worth prioritizing over a DT or WR (if Welker leaves). Not sold on Vaccaro either.

I really don't see them pulling the trigger either, at least in the first round, thats why I think they move back into the second round. Some might be angry with this thought, as they had great success moving up to grab Jones and Hightower.

However, this is a prime year to do it. I think that most of the top DL talent will be gone by the time the Patriots pick, and any combination of Vaccaro, Reid, Elam, Jefferson, Phillips and McDonald could be available in the second round/third round. So why not move back into the second round for a SS/DL and then go DL/SS with the next 2nd round pick.

This, of course, will change with how the Pats address these positions in FA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 13 of 60

Jump to: