Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The don't freak out about last night's game mock
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Kuhn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: The don't freak out about last night's game mock Reply with quote

We will be picking near the end of each round
+4th round Comp

Released/Retire:
Greg Jennings - Jennigns deserves a big contract and we just can't give it to him. TT wishes him the best of luck, lets him walk, and we are awarded a 3rd or 4th round comp pick in 2013.
Jeff Saturday - Our entire Oline took a step back when Saturday was starting. Jeff is a class act and he knows when it is time to hangup the cleats. He figured the best place for one last chance at a ring was Green Bay and hopefully we can pull through for him.
Donald Driver - Already been inactive for several games this season. Double D's days being a receiving threat in GB are over and Cobb and Jones have made him an afterthought and expendable.
Cedric Benson - Don't kid yourself, Benson was a one year rental.
Ryan Grant - Same with Benson, Grant is done. We have too much young talent at the position to justify giving him a roster spot.
Rob Francois - Special teamer who will get pushed by the better options behind him.
Frank Zombo - Same as Francois, but I could see TT bringing back Zombo to compete in camp. He won't stick.

Resigned/Restructured:
Charles Woodson – Woody restructures his contract and stays in town for one more season while this secondary comes together. Hard to replace his leadership and intangibles.
Sam Shields - Stepped it up bigtime this season. More and more he looks like the ballhawk we fell in love with in 2010. The future looks bright with Shields, Hayward and House at CB.
Brad Jones - Versatile Role Player with value on special teams to boot. TT welcomes him back with open arms.
EDS - The jury is still out on EDS. He has looked relatively good this season and Rodgers has praised him, which should not be taken lightly. I'm not sold on EDS yet but he did look solid in his first start at C against an undersized and underwhelming Tennessee Dline.
Erik Walden - Likely brought back to compete in training camp at this point. Not our best option at OLB but does step up when his name is called. Could stick as backup if TT doesn't bring in anyone else.
Tom Crabtree - Above average blocking tight end with underrated hands. Crabtree is that fan favorite who is probably brought back on a contract of a couple years.

DRAFT DAY

Round One

Kawann Short, DT Purdue
6-3, 215

My draft crush as of right now. While I'm not sure DL is our biggest need, I know TT will address it this offseason with numerous contracts expiring along the DLine in 2014, one of them being Pickett's.
This is an interesting situation and I'm not sure which way TT goes. On one hand, Pickett is aging and TT has been known to go with the younger option, even if it isn't necessarily the more talented option (i.e. Cullen Jenkins). No matter how good Pickett plays he won't be resigned for long or for much, with such a tight budget TT can't afford mistakes. Add to that the recent success of younger players like Neal, Worthy, Daniels and even Wilson and you can make a valid case for letting Pickett walk.
On the other hand, Pickett is preforming extremely well this season for the Pack. He is showing little to no signs of aging and it appears the influx of youth that allows him to come off the field for a few snaps is making the difference. Pickett is our only option on the roster at NT if Raji goes down (knock on wood) and our best option at the LDE position. He is arguably our best run stuffer and TT may have learned his lesson from the Cullen Jenkins debacle.
Either way he goes, TT is faced with a difficult decision. Adding another body on that defensive line could solve the problem or at least make the decision easier. Short is the perfect player.

Ideally, we can pick up that guy who not only stuffs the run (probably highest priority) but also proves disruptive when rushing the passer. With 31.5 tackles for a loss and 12.5 sacks the last two years Short looks the part. TT has shown a liking to BIG10 Dlinemen (Pickett, Neal, Worthy, and Daniels) and why not? BIG10 offensive linemen are talented and thick and probably provide the closest comparison to NFL lineman. Despite his 315lb frame, Short is athletic (4 pass breakups) and versatile, providing value on special teams where he has 4 blocked kicks this year. IMO, Short is a perfect candidate to take Pickett's spot as LDE in our defense and will all but complete this DLine.

Round Two

Cordarrelle Patterson, WR Tennessee
6-3 200lbs

While there is no clear cut #1 wide receiver in this class there are several very talented players. Most will come off the board late in the 1st and early in the 2nd, and at least one will fall through for us. TT knows value and has proven he can get an excellent player in the 2nd (as he has with Nelson, Jennings and Cobb) so I rule out a 1st round selection of a WR unless someone like Keenan Allen is the top player available. With Driver, Finley, and Jennings likely leaving and Jones' contract expiring in 2014, TT needs to pick up another threat in the passing game.

Patterson appears to be a perfect fit despite being fairly raw. He is viewed by many as a first rounder but similar to what happened with another raw WR prospect in Stephen Hill last year, I expect Patterson to fall a little come draft day. He wouldn't be asked to step up right away as we would have Nelson, Jones and Cobb in front of him so he has time to develop and learn the game. Patterson is a versatile prospect who has experience rushing the ball so he may be able to provide us with yet another wrinkle to our offense and despite his 6-3 frame he is very quick and explosive and has experience on returns (broke an SEC record with 27.6yds/return and has 2 TD's on the year) so he could take Cobb's spot on special teams (and for all of you who think Ross’ recent returns have made him worthy of a roster spot, Patterson makes Ross expendable). An ideal selection in the 2nd round.

Round Three

Phillip Thomas, S Fresno State
6-1, 215lbs

Imagine our secondary with Nick Collins. Few teams could take the blow of losing an all-pro and rebound the way the Packers have. Replacing Collins's production seems impossible, yet amid injuries to Defensive MVP Charles Woodson, Ted has somehow given us hope that this group can return to an all-pro level - all in one offseason.

Many speculate whether or not Charles Woodson will be back next offseason, and with so many promising young players behind him you can make the case that Woodson's days in green and gold are over. Uncertainty over the potential of these players (McMillian, Richardson, Jennings) will all but force McCarthy and Co. to pursue a prospect with a high ceiling. TT is more comfortable near the top of the league in turnover ratio anyways and this guy will help make that possible.

Thomas lead the nation with 8 INT (the most by Fresno St. player in 27 years) and was one of three finalists for the Jim Thorpe Award. (given to the nations' top defender). Thomas is an instinctive safety with ballhawking ability and is a physical hitter to boot (4 forced fumbles this year). He is solid against both the pass (13 passes broken up in last 2 seasons) and run (12 tackles for loss this season) and can even get after the quarterback (4 sacks on the year). Plain and simple, Thomas is a playmaker and possesses many attributes that you just can't coach. He is having this phenomenal season a year removed from a freak injury that left him with a broken leg and a dislocated ankle.

Round Four

A)

Mike Gillislee, RB Florida
5-11 209lbs

What once looked like the biggest hole on the team now looks to be fixing patching itself up quickly. Unfortunately, I think we are a prospect or two away from finishing this group up.

First and foremost, we aren't going RB in round one. As long as Aaron Rodgers is our QB there is absolutely no value in going RB that high. That is not to say RB isn't a position of need, however. IMO, Alex Green and DuJuan Harris (and perhaps one of Saine/Starks) are the only salvageable pieces on this roster. None of those guys are going to be a feature back or "bell cow" kind of guy and nor should they be, as there is no place on this roster for that position. Where the success and value lies in this RB group is in that change of pace back system where one back can take carries away from another, and the hot hand runs the most. To me, that "three headed monster" of Green, Harris, and draft pick [Gillislee]/Saine or Starks is the way to go. While the coaching staff may not be ready to give up on Starks I’m not sure he is worth it anymore. I could see us sticking with Starks, who is a hard runner in his own right, for one more year. His health will decide whether or not he holds down a roster spot form that point on.

Gillislee would look to be another change of pace back that this team could feed 10+ touches to a game. In fact, I see Gillislee a better 3rd down option than Green. He is a shifty guy with deceptive power and an above average pass blocker to boot. Gillislee hasn’t been relied on heavily in Florida’s offense so his fresh legs won’t knock him come draft day but he has the production this season to warrant a 4th round pick (1104 yds rushing and 10 TD’s).

B)

Dalton Freeman, OC Clemson
6-5 285lbs
Finally we address our offensive line. A few threads have been popping up lately regarding our need along the offensive line and if you haven't read them yet, stop reading this right now and go look at them. What Barclay and Newhouse have made me (and hopefully you) realize is that there is no need in this particular draft to go with an offensive tackle. What happens if we spend a first or second (or even third) rounder on a tackle, only to have him get beaten out in training camp by Sherrod? Where is the value in that? We would have essentially wasted a draft pick. Currently, on this roster, we have serviceable backups at the tackle position in Newhouse, Barclay and even Lang and we have Datko and Shea Allard on the practice squad that can play tackle as well.

Ideally in this draft we can find a rich-man's EDS, that is, a center who can swing to guard if need be. That is the need. IMO, we currently have an unproven entity in EDS. While he did well in his first start, it was up against a very shaky Dline in Tennessee. We will get a better idea of what we have in EDS in the upcoming weeks.

Freeman is an athletic center prospect who appears to be a perfect fit for the zone-blocking scheme that we deploy. He is a big guy at 6-5 but a knock on him is his weight. At only 285 he has plenty of frame to fill but this should be an easy issue to fix in an NFL weight room. He has blocked well for CJ Spiller and Andre Ellington over the last three seasons. Freeman is quick off the snap and looks to be a steal for this team at this point.

Round Five

Travis Kelce, TE Cincinnati
6-5 260lbs

The more I look over it, the more I realize how perfect of a signing Finley’s recent deal was. Without Greg next year, even with another draft prospect, this receiving corps is 1 injury away being in trouble. For all the crap Finley gets, he has really come on as of late. Losing him and Greg in one offseason would be a pretty harsh blow. All that being said TE is still a position of need in the upcoming draft. We have a lot of guys behind Finley who can do a one thing well, be it receiving (DJ Williams) or blocking (Crabtree and Taylor) but only one that looks like he could do both in Quarless, and he hasn't suited up since 2011. Ideally we can find a Joker TE in this draft who can replicate Finley’s role and production, who can still attribute in the blocking department.

Kelce has a chance to be that guy. He has bloodline in the NFL, his brother is Eagles' center Jason Kelce. Despite his size he also has experience in the H-back role with 2 TD's in his freshman campaign, but would play that Joker TE position in the NFL. Kelce has familiarity lining up in the slot and is actually a pretty good receiver. He tied Brent Celek for Cincinnati's all time TD record for the season by a TE this year and finished with 45 receptions for 722 yards. He finished this last season's bowl game with 5catches for 123yds and a score. Kelce has the size to stretch the field and the athleticism to produce after the catch. He is underrated and flying under the radar as of now.

Round Six

Cameron Lawrence, LB Mississippi St.
6-3 230lbs

At this point in the draft TT is looking for depth along the lines and for special teams players. Our starting linebacker corps is looks to be pretty set when healthy and with another year of progression our backups will be pretty solid. TT is faced with some tough decisions. Jones and Lattimore are versatile and can play any position while Walden and Moses hold down the OLB spots on either side. On the inside we have Smith and an unproven player in Manning. Zombo and Francois are certainly in the mix but IMO they won’t be back next season.

While I'm not entirely certain what they will do, historically TT likes to keep between 8-10 Linebackers. 4 spots are gone immediately with Matthews, Perry, Hawk and Bishop. We are left with 4-6 spots for 8(9 with draft pick) players. Jones, Smith and Moses are all but guaranteed a spot. So there are 1-3 spots left. Lattimore's value is on special teams and I don't think that earns him a spot. Moses' progression makes Walden expendable. Zombo and Francois are gone. We are left with Manning (who TT traded up for and isn't ready to get rid of) and new draft pick Lawrence.

What I really like about Lawrence is his versatility. A second team All-SEC selection, Lawrence’s greatest attribute to this team would be his tackling (and don’t we need some help there) With 234 tackles in the last 2 years Lawrence knows how to get after the ball carrier. Statistically, Lawrence’s presence is felt all over. He has shown ability to stuff the run (16 tackles for loss) and get after the passer (6 sacks). He can defend against the pass as well with 4INT and 9passes broken up over the last 2 seasons. Similar to Manning, Lawrence is being scouted as a 4-3 OLB so his position on our team would likely be that of 3-4 ILB who could swing to OLB in a pitch. Lawrence would be a valuable asset to this team.

Round Seven

Earl Watford, OG James Madison University
6-4 290

We can take a chance on a FCS guy here, odds are we stash him on the PS anyway. Watford is an undersized guy who is pretty athletic and looks to be a really good fit for the ZBS. His frame makes it seem like he can still add some weight without losing too much. Watford is a great pass protector but excels in the run game. Watford is a technician who possesses all the intangibles and is a team leader. The knock on Watford is the school he comes out of, make no mistake Watford is a player and a steal for the Packers this late.
(sorry about the picture, there was like 3 available and this was the best one)

Offense
QB: Rodgers/Coleman
RB: Harris/Green/Gillislee/Starks
FB: Kuhn
WR: Nelson/Jones/Cobb/Patterson/Boykin
TE: Finley/Crabtree/Williams/Kelce
OL: Sherrod/Lang/EDS/Sitton/Bulaga/\Newhouse\Van Roten\Freeman\Barclay
Defense
DL: Pickett/Raji/Worthy/\Neal\Short\Wilson\Daniels
LB: Perry/Bishop/Hawk/Matthews/\Jones\Smith\Moses\Manning\Lawrence
CB: Williams/Shields/Hayward/House/Bush
S: Woodson/Burnett/Thomas/McMillian
Special Teams
K: Crosby
P: Masthay
LS: Goode
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said all season we needed to draft a run guy, people keep yelling about our lack of interior rush. Few more lbs will make him a solid NT

Patterson could be a nice pickup

Another SS? I hesitate.

Green is a solid 3rd down option, and Harris is a good COP. Grant and Benson are the missing piece. I'm not sure Gillislee can replace them. Starks can go not play for somebody else. Another short COP/3rd down guy really isn't what we need.

Quick off the snap is the biggest thing I look for in a Center. Can't block when you're not up.

Can't tell how much of a receiving prospect Kelce is. QB play has really held him back.

Lawrence projects to ILB, IMO OLB would be the bigger need.

I've seen Watford in person, he might turn out well.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is going to be extremely difficult to get Brad Jones back on this team next year at a salary conducive to that of a back up. I think we are bit optimistic there.

I like the first two picks a lot and would be extremely happy with that if it was possible. I do like Thomas a lot as well. I have to disagree on the Dalton pick. If he is not going to beat out EDS to start the year, I do not see him as a good G option at all year one. You try to sneak him on the PS and I am not so sure that will work. I think you have your G/T swingmen next year in Barclay and Sherrod/Newhouse. I think the G/C position does need some attention because I am not sold on Von Roten, even though the coaching staff likes him a lot in this role going forward. I think if you want a guy that might be able to play both G and C next year and potentially beat out EDS, I would look at Jacobsen.

If we go into Training Camp next year with Walden and Zombo next year and that draft, we likely are stuck with them. I would prefer to address this higher with a quality pick moreso than S, although I do like Thomas a lot, I have been singing his praises since the 4th week of the college season!! Good football player there, would like to see if it translates.

I do want to see another rather good prospect for the OLB position. Perry, Matthews and Moses next year is a good start, but would love another high ceiling option to upgrade the pass rush as much as possible. It will be the key to making the defense elite next year. I think the secondary is getting close despite the lapses yesterday.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:

I like the first two picks a lot and would be extremely happy with that if it was possible. I do like Thomas a lot as well. I have to disagree on the Dalton pick. If he is not going to beat out EDS to start the year, I do not see him as a good G option at all year one. You try to sneak him on the PS and I am not so sure that will work. I think you have your G/T swingmen next year in Barclay and Sherrod/Newhouse. I think the G/C position does need some attention because I am not sold on Von Roten, even though the coaching staff likes him a lot in this role going forward. I think if you want a guy that might be able to play both G and C next year and potentially beat out EDS, I would look at Jacobsen.

With Newhouse as a backup T, Barclay as a backup G/T, I'm fine with a pure C
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
PackFan4Life wrote:

If he does not beat out EDS, which I doubt he does, he is a 16 game inactive. They will suit up Von Roten next year before they will Freeman because of his additional versatility. Just saying.
Packers FTW

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short looks a few ounces over 215 lbs... Laughing
pollino14

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patterson is my 2nd favorite prospect this year. The kid is gonna be a superstar. I think he s gonna shoot up the draft boards.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short, Thomas, Gillislee Shocked Me gusta. All of those guys are good prospects.

Short is really big for 215 Wink
SE500

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this draft. The 1st pick starts it out right for me, I want exactly what you have or a true pass rushing tech 5. Of course it all breaks down to what is available at any pick but in my perfect world we end up with a DL, C, and RB/WR 1st 3 rounds.

Why do people think that Greg Jennings will not be franchise tagged?? New England did it last year with Wes Welker and sounds like they will again this year. Unlike with Flynn last year there is little risk this year. He is essentially worth the money, and yes we do have room. Finley will be gone, Saturday gone, Driver gone, and if needed Woodson gone.
Franchise Jennings and sell him to the highest bidder. Teams (Dolphins, Colts, Bears, Vikings, Seahawks, etc etc) will be standing in line for him. Maybe we won't get a 1st, but I could easily see a 2nd AND 3rd.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SE500 wrote:
I like this draft. The 1st pick starts it out right for me, I want exactly what you have or a true pass rushing tech 5. Of course it all breaks down to what is available at any pick but in my perfect world we end up with a DL, C, and RB/WR 1st 3 rounds.

Why do people think that Greg Jennings will not be franchise tagged?? New England did it last year with Wes Welker and sounds like they will again this year. Unlike with Flynn last year there is little risk this year. He is essentially worth the money, and yes we do have room. Finley will be gone, Saturday gone, Driver gone, and if needed Woodson gone.
Franchise Jennings and sell him to the highest bidder. Teams (Dolphins, Colts, Bears, Vikings, Seahawks, etc etc) will be standing in line for him. Maybe we won't get a 1st, but I could easily see a 2nd AND 3rd.
Because it costs too much, and we hate using the tag? Plus tag and trade doesn't always (read: ever) work. Why give up a pick when you can sign him next year?
The Kuhn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
PackFan4Life wrote:

If he does not beat out EDS, which I doubt he does, he is a 16 game inactive. They will suit up Von Roten next year before they will Freeman because of his additional versatility. Just saying.

I highly doubt he beats out EDS in his first year and I would agree he is 16 game inactive. If anything he adds a few pounds to his frame and starts a few years down the road. Also, I recognize the need for a C who swings to G but Freeman is nothing but a true center prospect, probably should have specified that.. Embarassed

I don't think EDS loses us any games and personally I would be fine with him holding down the C position for a few years. He likely will be the starter next year anyway, unless we go with a C high. My problem with EDS is his ceiling, which he probably has reached at this point or will soon. IMO, Freeman is a guy we can take a chance on with a much higher potential who could end up starting for us a few years down the line.
The Kuhn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
SE500 wrote:

Because it costs too much, and we hate using the tag? Plus tag and trade doesn't always (read: ever) work. Why give up a pick when you can sign him next year?

Yeah the franchise tag-and-trade situation is a completely different story than with Flynn last year. If we can't find anyone to trade with at worst we are stuck with Greg Jennings next year. The problem is the money we would be on the hook with. TT can't afford to get stuck with the tag for a WR.

So again I have to agree with HyponGrey. TT isn't that big a risk taker. That's not to say I wouldn't love for a tag and trade to go down tho! This is safer and MUCH more likely than the tag and trade situation we were faced with last year.
Blank402

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this one. Don't know a lot about the players, but I agree with the positions and the rounds in which they were selected.

I've been thinking that another run stuffer for the D-line is our biggest need that no one is really talking about, and it's not just because we allowed over 400 yards to Peterson (though that certainly plays into it).
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wouldn't the Packers go offensive line a little earlier in the draft? Rodgers gets hit and sacked too much imo. I'd be wanting to protect that golden arm at all costs.
jfinley88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip Short and Patterson and I think this a solid mock. I usually hate when people talk like "there's no chance this guy lasts til round 3" or whatever, but with those prospects I just think it's more realistic in swapped rounds...

Love Phillip Thomas, behind Vaccaro he's my favorite safety.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: