Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock Draft (first 4 rounds)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dez85

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Mock Draft (first 4 rounds) Reply with quote

Tell me what you guys think...

Before i start i should note a few things:
- i think we let Michael Johnson and Rey Maualuga walk (however its concerning that they just assigned him captain). I think we have to invest that money into the guys we need to resign in advance (Geno and Carlos).
- I think we've seen enough from our rookies that we avoid early round WR's.
- We give Andre Smith the money he deserves.
- Resign Adam Jones, let Nate Clements walk.

1. Sam Montgomery DE, LSU - I dont see us paying Michael Johnson the money he'll demand after posting around 10 sacks. Breaking out in a contract year is usually bad news anyway. I dont know if i trust him. I wouldn't mind letting him go and go DE first round. Not to mention Moch should apply some pressure.

2a(from Oakland). Matt Elam SS, Florida - Finally someone who can cover and help with the run at the SS position. Mays, Crocker and Miles are nothing more than stopgaps and special teamers.

2b. Giovani Bernard/Eddie Lacy/Stepfan Taylor RB - I think its time we grab a back with some talent that doesnt need a gapping whole to gain 7+ yards. Its unfortunate that Bernard Scott got his shot and lost it to a freak injury. My patience at RB is growing thin and if were going to take the next step and become a playoff caliber team we need a talent in the backfield to compliment BJGE.

3. Andrew Jackson MLB, Western Kentucky - I love this kid. Probably the best defensive leader in the draft with Manti Te'o. The Maualuga days are numbered. Personally id like to see him leave and go with the youth movement at LB. Keep Burfict at the WILL, resign Lawson, and start Jackson. However, Marvin hates handing rookies the starting jobs.

4. Gerald Hodges OLB, Penn State? Desmond Trufant CB, Washington? Sean Porter OLB, Texas A&M?... - More depth at the linebacker or corner spot.

As you can see i see us going for defense this draft. I also wouldnt mind grabbing a first round CB in back to back years ala J-Joe and Leon. I dont see many holes in our offence. If we sign Smith we have 2 above average tackles and two young, experienced guards to go along with 2 good centres. I think our WR's are set. AJ is AJ. Marvin Jones can handle the outside while Sanu and baby hawk disrupt the inside. I also have a feeling they really like Whalen or else they would have let him go with the abundance of WR's we had last offseason. As far as TE's go, Gresham is solid and Orson Charles has proven to become useful. Thoughts?
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mock Draft (first 4 rounds) Reply with quote

dez85 wrote:
Tell me what you guys think...

Three; (at least); big factors to consider before deciding which position we select in the draft,

1. The salary cap floor kicks in in 2013 @ 88.8% of the salary cap number of $121M, giving a floor of $107.9M as a minimum to spend. This means we have some ability to re-sign Andre Smith and Michael Johnson. We also save a big chunk of cash if we let Robert Geathers walk. Whether we extend Maualuga is probably the biggest question.......

2. Who coaches the defence if Mike Zimmer gets a HC gig ?

3. Who; (if anyone) do we put the franchise tag on ? FWIW, I think we use it on Andre Smith if we cant get him extended.......

Either way, I don't disagree on it likely being a mainly defensive draft..... (That is unless we don't re-sign Smith, then we might need to go high on an OT).
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean I like it. I doubt we keep both Dunlap and MJ. But should resign Gilberry.

After today I think our O needs help but the only position likely to be upgraded is RB.

I have wanted a new safety for years. I would be ok with Vaccaro and Arthur Brown as our first 2 picks with a RB also.

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see:

1) Alec Ogletree, LB
2a) Eric Reid or Matt Elam, S
2b) Best RB available (Gio Bernard ideally)
3) William Gholston, DE (replace oft injured Dunlap)
4) BPA

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:
I'd love to see:

1) Alec Ogletree, LB
4) BPA

I like it. I think I like Arthur Brown more than Ogletree though.

LondonBengal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
I mean I like it. I doubt we keep both Dunlap and MJ. But should resign Gilberry.

After today I think our O needs help but the only position likely to be upgraded is RB.

I have wanted a new safety for years. I would be ok with Vaccaro and Arthur Brown as our first 2 picks with a RB also.

Dunlap is signed thru to the end of next season, so we could extend MJ93 or franchise him, so there's every chance we keep both Dunlap and MJ.

Gilberry has been a pleasant surprise, and along with Sims, (who has also played well), Robert Geathers and Jamaal Anderson are all FA's.

Whatever happens, IMO we need to go pass-rush with one of the first two picks. We saw how our pass-rush and team defence suffered with Dunlap out, so we need to keep our pass rush stocked.
Jason_Bengal_Fl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given our cap room, and the new cap floor, I see no reason we can't retain every free agent we want to.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:

Dunlap is signed thru to the end of next season, so we could extend MJ93 or franchise him, so there's every chance we keep both Dunlap and MJ.

Gilberry has been a pleasant surprise, and along with Sims, (who has also played well), Robert Geathers and Jamaal Anderson are all FA's.

Whatever happens, IMO we need to go pass-rush with one of the first two picks. We saw how our pass-rush and team defence suffered with Dunlap out, so we need to keep our pass rush stocked.

I understand we have Dunlap through next year, but I am not sure we will pay MJ this year and Dunlap next year. So if we give MJ money, I dont think we resign Dunlap. Just my thoughts.

I am ok with Geathers and Anderson leaving along with Sims. But i would like to see Gilberry back.

INbengalfan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:
I'd love to see:

1) Alec Ogletree, LB
4) BPA

This, except I wouldn't let Dunlap walk. We have the cap space to keep as many of the guys we want, as someone else said above. I think we resign MJ and ASmith. We will try to extend Dunlap and Adkins, but only need to get one done this year. We need to decide on lawson or Rey and keep one. I like Ogletree to replace the other. I think Geathers may come back for cheap, but I was thinking Gilberry signed for 2 years. I am probably wrong, and definitely too lazy to look. The real drama will be in the secondary, where AJones, Clements, Newman, Crocker and others are FAs. I think we resign Clements for less and give some of that money to Newman and Jones. Then we cut Jason Allen, who has done nothing for us. I also see Travell Wharton being cut to open up more cap space for the d-line.
futbudds

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's odd how the D is clearly a better unit than the O and we're pretty much all in agreement that we need to use more picks on the D.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
I understand we have Dunlap through next year, but I am not sure we will pay MJ this year and Dunlap next year. So if we give MJ money, I dont think we resign Dunlap. Just my thoughts.

I am ok with Geathers and Anderson leaving along with Sims. But i would like to see Gilberry back.

You could well be correct.

Even with the cap floor and higher cap ceiling it is unlikely we'll be able to pay Dalton, Green, Smith, Dunlap, Atkins and MJ93 all big shiny new contracts over the next two years.

Mikey has saved some big chunks of cash with Palmer and Chad gone. Of the six guys I've mentioned there, we can probably get five done, so the question is who do we let go ?

I suppose, if we can get Collins signed, we let Andre Smith go and draft a guy. It might then make sense to take an OT with one of the top 3 draft picks.

One of these days, I'll do some maths, and see how much $$$$ we actually have to spend........
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
I was thinking Gilberry signed for 2 years. I am probably wrong, and definitely too lazy to look.

Gilberry signed a 1 yr $700k deal. He is a FA after this current season..
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

futbudds wrote:
It's odd how the D is clearly a better unit than the O and we're pretty much all in agreement that we need to use more picks on the D.

......thinking that too...... O still has plenty of questions.....

1. Is someone gonna take a chance on Jon Gruden as HC ?
2. Is Andre Smith getting re-signed ?
3. Is Boling a NFL calibre guard ?
4. Is Kyle Cook healthy ?
5. Is Marvin Jones the future #2 WR ?
6. Is BJGE the future @ RB ?

Lots of questions........
Hokie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my way too early, 5 round mock (I love doing these):

Re-sign: A. Smith, M. Johnson, T. Howard, W. Gilberry, A. Jones, T. Newman, J. Brown, K. Huber, C. Harris, C. Peerman, A. Hawkins, D. Skuta

Free agents: Louis Delmas (S)

Draft:

1. Barret Jones (OC/OG), Alabama

Center is a mess for the Bengals, and I'm not sure undrafted rookie free agent Trevor Robinson is the long-term answer. Boling has been hit and miss at LG this year as well. Jones could play either position and would represent an upgrade to the OL, which has struggled mightily of late.

2a. Justin Hunter (WR), Tennessee

May not be here in the early 2nd if he has a good pro day. Has excellent size and speed. While I like Sanu and Marvin Jones, neither represent the deep-threat ability that Hunter possesses. Having a deep threat like Hunter would take a huge load off of Green and give your franchise QB Dalton another valuable weapon.

2b. Chase Thomas (OLB), Stanford

Would start at SLB from Day 1 and probably represent an upgrade to Lawson. Resign Howard and move Burifict back to the middle. Thomas would be adequate at worst at SLB.

3. Cornellius Carradine (DE), Florida St.

Was likely going to be a first round pick before his ACL injury. Bengals have great depth on the DL (assuming they resign their own guys). Draft Carradine and let him continue his rehab. He should be ready by the halfway point of next season at worst. Once he's fully healthy, you have a very explosive pass-rusher and possible future starter.

4. Mike Gillislee (RB), Florida

While there aren't elite prospects at the top, there is very good depth at RB in the draft. Gillislee had an outstanding season at Florida and would be a great compliment to BJGE.

5. Zeke Motta (S), Notre Dame

Motta plays a lot like another Notre Dame safety who was a 1st round pick in last years draft (Harrison Smith). I'm not just saying that because he's white. He's an explosive hitter and a great leader. As monumental as Manti Te'o has been for ND this year, they wouldn't be where they are without Motta, who is the undisputed leader in their secondary. With a good pro day he could move into 3rd round territory. Would be a great special teams player and possible future starter.

Obviously we'd bring in more than one free agent, but they would likely just be small deals for backups.
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming he is making a full comeback, i'd rather resign Thomas Howard over Rey or Lawson, along with a high draft pick like Ogletree.

I'd never hate a pick taking an olineman or a dlineman in the first round. You can never have too much talent up front on either side of the ball.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: