Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Stadium Saga Part XIII: Blowing the Roof Off
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Stadium Saga Part XIII: Blowing the Roof Off Reply with quote

The Vikings, who now are saying they would like a retractable roof on their new stadium, should know by this spring whether it's affordable within the stadium's $975 million budget. A stadium construction manager is expected to be hired within the next few weeks, after which costs for design options, including a roof or a retractable window or retractable wall, will be determined.

Among construction managers being considered, one is local and three are national. Also to be determined by a construction manager as early as this spring is for how long the Vikings will have to play in the University of Minnesota's TCF Bank Stadium -- one or two seasons (a portion of 2014 or all of 2015).

Other features the Vikings are considering include restaurants, a hall of fame, a merchandise store and a personal favorite of owner Zygi Wilf: a fantasy football league lounge with TVs on the walls. Potential stadium corporate naming rights bidders include U.S. Bank, which is considered the favorite, Target, General Mills and Cargill.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_22285242/charley-walters-blair-walsh-hit-up-dome-vendors

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love a retractable roof. Just make the stadium tailgate and fan friendly and Vikings fans will fill it up every year!
Vikes_Bolts1228

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Would love a retractable roof. Just make the stadium tailgate and fan friendly and Vikings fans will fill it up every year!

As a season ticket holder and someone who buys a "season ticket" tailgate pass in a Vikings owned lot....I'm extremely worried about tailgating.

All of the artist rendering shows more about the "pre-game extravaganza" with the Vikings plaza and the food stands and inflatable slides and radio booths and all of that other family friendly crap rather than actual tailgating.

I think I've saw one tailgate lot in all of those renderings. The Vikings currently have three lots. All sold out an constantly full of fans. That's not to mention the lots NOT sponsored by the Vikings.

Now I know that they are just that...concepts...but I'm worried that tailgating isn't more of a focus with all of this planning. I've heard next to nothing about tailgating from the Vikings, the planners, the state, Ragnar the Vikings, or even Sid Davy...IT WORRIES ME.

Tailgating is an amazing experience. It screams "football" and "game day experience." I seriously hope the Vikings are smart enough to, at minimum, have the same amount of tailgate accessibility as they do now. Heck, even if it's from a money making view.

My tailgate lot is $345 a year. Times that by 200 (at minimum) vehicles in EACH of those 3 lots, how aren't the Vikings mentioning tailgating in all of this planning? It's a HUGE part of their fan base.

Proud Minnesota Vikings season ticket holder!

Last edited by Vikes_Bolts1228 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikes_Bolts1228 wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:

As a season ticket holder and someone who buys a "season ticket" tailgate pass in a Vikings owned lot....I'm extremely worried about tailgating.

All of the artist rendering shows more about the "pre-game extravaganza" with the Vikings plaza and the food stands and inflatable slides and radio booths and all of that other family friendly crap rather than actual tailgating.

I think I've saw one tailgate lot in all of those renderings. Now I know that they are just that...concepts...but I'm worried that tailgating isn't more of a focus with all of this planning. I've heard next to nothing about tailgating from the Vikings, the planners, the state, Ragnar the Vikings, or even Sid Davy...IT WORRIES ME.

Zygi mentioned how important it was for the Vikings fans to have a better tailgating experience. I trust him to come through on that.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikes_Bolts1228 wrote:
IT WORRIES ME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo4OnQpwjkc

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
SodakViking

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, my uncle who is CEO of the company that will likely provide concrete for the stadium, said he needs to get prices in by January 12th.

Also, the 3 designs he has seen all have fixed roofs on them... Sad

He said at this point he didn't seen a retractable roof would be financially possible. He did say he hoped they go that route though.
Vikes_Bolts1228

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Vikes_Bolts1228 wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:

I think I've saw one tailgate lot in all of those renderings. Now I know that they are just that...concepts...but I'm worried that tailgating isn't more of a focus with all of this planning. I've heard next to nothing about tailgating from the Vikings, the planners, the state, Ragnar the Vikings, or even Sid Davy...IT WORRIES ME.

Zygi mentioned how important it was for the Vikings fans to have a better tailgating experience. I trust him to come through on that.

See, when I hear that I immediately think that Zygi is speaking about the "Vikings Plaza"

If people haven't heard about it, it's basically a block or two on the western most part of the Metrodome of food stands, face painting, a couple radio booths, and other "family friendly" activities. It seems that they're really pushing this in all of the "exterior" shots of artist renderings.

It's NOT tailgating.

Maybe I'm being paranoid as (like I said) minimal details of the stadium have been released but I have a bad feeling about tailgating in the new stadium.

Vikes_Bolts1228

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SodakViking wrote:
For what it's worth, my uncle who is CEO of the company that will likely provide concrete for the stadium, said he needs to get prices in by January 12th.

Also, the 3 designs he has seen all have fixed roofs on them... Sad

He said at this point he didn't seen a retractable roof would be financially possible. He did say he hoped they go that route though.

That'd be up to the Vikings.

I think that the price tag for the stadium is NOT what the stadium cost has to be fixed at. If the Vikings wanted, they could put more than the $975 million into it.

It'd be out of their own pocket, however.

I believe the Twins did the same thing with Target Field. They had a set price after the stadium bill was passed yet any "over runs" in construction were covered by the team. They upgraded things that weren't in the original budget. I believe the limestone featured in the stadium wasn't in the original plan based off of what they got from the city/state in the bill but the team liked it and they ended up covering the cost of it among other things.

So basically, the Vikings can put a retractable roof on it even if it runs over the $975 million that the bill said but they'd have to pay for it. Heck, they could have a retractable roof for the retractable roof if they wanted if the VIKINGS pay for it.

It really depends on how much the Vikings want that retractable roof.

(Please don't quote me on what I just said. I do believe that is the case, however.)

EDIT: Maybe it wasn't the limestone but here's an excerpt from Wikipedia (so take it for what it's worth) regarding what I was speaking of.

Quote:
On February 12, 2008, the Twins announced $22.4 million in upgrades to the original design, increased the Twins ownership stake in the new ballpark to $167.4 million, bringing the total ballpark cost to $412 million. The upgrades were mainly based around increasing fan experience and comfort. The upgrades included an enlarged canopy soffit (the largest in baseball), protecting fans further from the elements despite the stadium not having a roof. The Twins also upgraded the scoreboard - the fourth-largest in Major League Baseball - from standard definition to a high definition display from Daktronics measuring 101 feet (31 m) long and 57 feet (17 m) high.

SodakViking

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. He said it would most likely be at least 100 million more to do it. I don't think they're gonna fork out that much dough.
Vikes_Bolts1228

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SodakViking wrote:
Right. He said it would most likely be at least 100 million more to do it. I don't think they're gonna fork out that much dough.

I bet they just do a retractable "feature" like a sliding wall or only a small section of the roof would retract.

Do you know if that's in the budget or not?

Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikes_Bolts1228 wrote:
SodakViking wrote:

I bet they just do a retractable "feature" like a sliding wall or only a small section of the roof would retract.

Do you know if that's in the budget or not?

No retractable feature is in the budget, so whatever they do will be funded by the Wilfs.
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually do think that the Wilfs care enough about the retractable feature that they will fork over the cash to get it done. If it costs them $100M, I see them doing it, because they will certainly get more money that that in return for doing so.

Unless it's absolutely exorbitant (like $200-$250M), I believe they'll do it.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad a new one is coming, still hate the location. The Mpls bar and restaurant and entertainment community would just be so much better off over by TF.
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@5hauser: Vikings spokesman Lester Bagley says "we've determined we want a retractable feature" if it fits in budget. Roof or window facing plaza.
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Three national contractors that have combined to build more 100 sports stadiums and arenas coast to coast have submitted formal bids to build the new home for the Minnesota Vikings.

Hunt Construction, of Scottsdale, Ariz., builder of nearly 50 professional sports venues, including 28 stadiums for Major League Baseball and NFL teams.

Skanska, AB, an international firm based in Sweden that has built several NFL stadiums, including the MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., home of the New York Giants and New York Jets.

Mortenson Construction, Minneapolis. Mortenson was the general contractor on Target Field, which opened in 2010 as the new home for the Minnesota Twins.

http://www.startribune.com/local/187769221.html

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: