Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Starting RB 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Curtain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
The Curtain wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Gatoradus wrote:
It actually makes more sense to keep mendy. Haley and tomlin threw him under the bus again. I'm starting to wonder if kirby wilson is capable of coaching the rbs, those players (one is 6th round and others are later) but they weren't players with questionable running game. They had bad history (redman's troubled high school, dwyer's add, and batch's acls) oh... rainey's incident with his ex.

Those guys came to us with real talent, haven't seen enough of consistency from them.

Arguably O-line is to blame, yes but willie parker once ran over 1,300 with sean mahan at center! Bad O-line or not, you come to a professional league, an expectation has to be held regardless.

Mendy is still our best running back, just very inconsistent.

For one, explain how Tomlin and Haley threw Mendy under the bus.

Secondly, its pretty unfair to question Kirby Wilson. You guys complain about our RBs when our RB depth is better than most teams. Redman and Dwyer may not be feature back quality, but they may be the best 2 & 3 in the league. Redman never goes down on first contact and Dwyer is capable, even if unspectacular. Our backup RBs have perfromed most of the time. Our OLine 90 percent of the time is the reason the run game is stalled. Hard for those backs to do anything when they are getting hit as soon as they touch the ball.

Also, Willie Parker ran for 1300 yards behind Alan Faneca, who was still the best run blocker in the league at the time. Notice how our run game hasnt been the same since he left? Even Mahan did suck, Faneca was able to pick up alot of his slack in the run game.

And are you seriously saying that our backs should put up yards even with poor blocking? Because that makes no sense.

It wasn't just the blocking with Willie Parker, he was a home run threat. None of our RB's are. They all lack the speed except Rainey, but he's got a slew of other problems that make his speed useless.

I don't think our RB's should be having 1300 yard seasons behind this line, but I definitely think the production could and should be better. Lets just hope that Pouncey/DeCastro become a beast of a combination, and see what happens next year.

Parker was nothing special either though. He had the home run threat, but he really wasnt quick or shifty at all. He had great straight line speed....that was it. Kind of like Rainey...but I agree Rainey will never be a good RB.

Until we find an anchor for the interior OLine, I dont see it getting better. Thought Pouncey would be it, but he is inconsistent. Now Im hoping for DeCastro.

Willie had decent enough vision and instincts to go with his speed. Wasn't the explosive quickness or shifty type, true, but he was a good RB for us. Always motivated and ran hard, came up with a lot of huge plays for us in the running game. Plays that you don't see at all anymore.

Rainey is terrible. Every time he touches the ball when we have him in at HB, he looks like he has no idea what to do.
Mason Storm

Location: Hmm fire Tomlin of course y didnt i think of that oh yea because thats stupid.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's you guys thoughts on Ray Gramm

^ TommyC376 sig n avy^
"You know your a parent when you pay $120 for your kid to watch something live thats on tv for free"
grubs10

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mason Storm wrote:
What's you guys thoughts on Ray Gramm
Well its Graham. I am a senior at Pitt and have watched nearly every play of his career. His size will almost certainly restrict him to a backup and he is more quick than fast (similiar to his former team mate Dion Lewis). He is Ray Rice height but probably 20-30 pounds lighter.

He looked like the perfect 3rd down back last year as he was PITT's entire offense despite being held back by the terrible quarterback play of Tino. He was in the top three in rushing yards in the country 7 or 8 weeks into the season last year. Was great on screen passes and Tino loved to check down to him. He WAS the offense and then he tore his acl. He came back this year and had a good season but was not the same player. Still worth a midround pick in my mind but I don't think he will ever be more than a change of pace/3rd down guy.

He's a great kid off the field and a hard worker. I would love for the steelers to end up with him this summer so I can continue rooting for him at Heinz Field. And maybe he will continue to come back from the injury and return to last season's form

^Props to jgutowski24 on the Sweet Wiz Style Sig^
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be more high on Stefan Taylor, DJ Harper, and Christian Matthews. Our O-line is turning into more fitness, those RBs should benefit from it, also offer versatility in 3 different phrases of a running back in game; blocking, catching, and running.

Wouldn't spend first 3 rounds on those players though.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
Our O-line is turning into more fitness, those RBs should benefit from it

don't be so sure that continues. There's talk of Tunch Ilkin being up for the OL position once Kugler leaves. Kugler installed a "semi-zone" type of blocking scheme, which, truth be told, I frickin' hated. Ilkin is a man blocking kinda guy, which suits our players much better.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curtain wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
The Curtain wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Gatoradus wrote:
It actually makes more sense to keep mendy. Haley and tomlin threw him under the bus again. I'm starting to wonder if kirby wilson is capable of coaching the rbs, those players (one is 6th round and others are later) but they weren't players with questionable running game. They had bad history (redman's troubled high school, dwyer's add, and batch's acls) oh... rainey's incident with his ex.

Those guys came to us with real talent, haven't seen enough of consistency from them.

Arguably O-line is to blame, yes but willie parker once ran over 1,300 with sean mahan at center! Bad O-line or not, you come to a professional league, an expectation has to be held regardless.

Mendy is still our best running back, just very inconsistent.

For one, explain how Tomlin and Haley threw Mendy under the bus.

Secondly, its pretty unfair to question Kirby Wilson. You guys complain about our RBs when our RB depth is better than most teams. Redman and Dwyer may not be feature back quality, but they may be the best 2 & 3 in the league. Redman never goes down on first contact and Dwyer is capable, even if unspectacular. Our backup RBs have perfromed most of the time. Our OLine 90 percent of the time is the reason the run game is stalled. Hard for those backs to do anything when they are getting hit as soon as they touch the ball.

Also, Willie Parker ran for 1300 yards behind Alan Faneca, who was still the best run blocker in the league at the time. Notice how our run game hasnt been the same since he left? Even Mahan did suck, Faneca was able to pick up alot of his slack in the run game.

And are you seriously saying that our backs should put up yards even with poor blocking? Because that makes no sense.

It wasn't just the blocking with Willie Parker, he was a home run threat. None of our RB's are. They all lack the speed except Rainey, but he's got a slew of other problems that make his speed useless.

I don't think our RB's should be having 1300 yard seasons behind this line, but I definitely think the production could and should be better. Lets just hope that Pouncey/DeCastro become a beast of a combination, and see what happens next year.

Parker was nothing special either though. He had the home run threat, but he really wasnt quick or shifty at all. He had great straight line speed....that was it. Kind of like Rainey...but I agree Rainey will never be a good RB.

Until we find an anchor for the interior OLine, I dont see it getting better. Thought Pouncey would be it, but he is inconsistent. Now Im hoping for DeCastro.

Willie had decent enough vision and instincts to go with his speed. Wasn't the explosive quickness or shifty type, true, but he was a good RB for us. Always motivated and ran hard, came up with a lot of huge plays for us in the running game. Plays that you don't see at all anymore.

Rainey is terrible. Every time he touches the ball when we have him in at HB, he looks like he has no idea what to do.

Parker had worse vision than Mendenhall, so not sure where you get decent vision from.

Most of his runs he needed gaping holes, and we got them alot more when we had Faneca and Marvel Smith. Parker also couldnt block or catch well out of the backfield.

Im not saying anything we have now is better, but Parker wouldnt have nearly the same success behind our current line as he did behind Big Red.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: