Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Climate Change equals Coaching change?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Hope-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
TitanSS wrote:
If we still had Jeff Fisher we'd have a 47 year old strong safety and 35 year old linebacking corp and we'd be 8-8.

Pass.

Yeah. Not like he's taking a team that was 2-14 and could potentially have them at 8-7-1.

When he built the team he wanted, we went 56-24, with a 7-9 year bringing it down a bit, but even with that, still averaged 11 wins per year.

Watch him do the exact same in St Louis.

I'm sure he'll be successful in St. Louis, but that doesn't mean he would have been successful here.

skywindO2 wrote:
Never spit it out. Always power through it.
TwoToneBlue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
TitanSS wrote:
If we still had Jeff Fisher we'd have a 47 year old strong safety and 35 year old linebacking corp and we'd be 8-8.

Pass.

Yeah. Not like he's taking a team that was 2-14 and could potentially have them at 8-7-1.

When he built the team he wanted, we went 56-24, with a 7-9 year bringing it down a bit, but even with that, still averaged 11 wins per year.

He won't be an 11 win per year coach if Bradford is his QB. You don't get to that level without a great QB. Sure he could have one or two 11 win years, but not with any consistency. He averaged 11 wins but we had McNair, a borderline HOF QB.

Adopt-A-Titan:
1) Dexter McCluster RB/WR -- 9 CAR 29 YDS, 1 REC 17 YDS
2) Sammie Hill NT -- 2 TCK 1 SCK
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwoToneBlue wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:
TitanSS wrote:

Pass.

He won't be an 11 win per year coach if Bradford is his QB. You don't get to that level without a great QB. Sure he could have one or two 11 win years, but not with any consistency. He averaged 11 wins but we had McNair, a borderline HOF QB.

If Bradford doesn't develop in to the QB they want him to be, he'll get the QB he wants. It may take time, but they'll get there. We'll see what happens.

And as far as McNair goes, he was great when we needed him to show up, but he wasn't a consistently elite QB until the 02 and 03 years, really. Prior to that we really leaned on Eddie George and the defense, and McNair just had the clutch gene in him when we needed it.

-Hope- wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:
TitanSS wrote:

Pass.

I'm sure he'll be successful in St. Louis, but that doesn't mean he would have been successful here.

He would have likely been successful here again if Bud doesn't force things on him. Getting rid of McNair when he didn't want to. Drafting VY when he didn't want to. That led to the downfall.

Fisher has shown he can build a team. Why Bud decided to interrupt that process is beyond me.
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:

Pass.

Ok... so lets just rotate 4 horrible safeties, show no discipline or leadership at any level of the team and go 6-10...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
The thought of Chip Kelly in Nashville makes me physically ill. You think Munch is in over his head? What do you think's gonna happen when you bring in a guy to lead your franchise whose never coached on an NFL sideline. His offense intrigues me, but not to the point that I want to make him HC. Also I believe Chip Kelly would routinely lose 2-3 games a season if he were coaching in the SEC and facing defenses like Georgia, Florida, Alabama, LSU, and South Carolina on the regular basis. So again the thought of him coaching here is laughable to me. His only NFL tie is being a consultant for the Pats in the offseason. (which, I guess, leads people to believe that Belicheck just copied Kelly's playbook, play for play and that's
why the Pats are having so much success.)
Couldn't you argue that Chip would have better players than he has if he played in the SEC? Oregon as a state doesn't generate very many 4-5* players. In fact the state of Georgia actually has more blue chip players then the state of California. In fact IIRC Georgia as a state has more 4-5* players this year as HS Seniors than the entire region of the Pac-12. In 2011 he had a top 13 recruiting class but 4 of his top 11 players have transferred before ever playing a down. His best OL this year was the 89th best OT coming outta HS.

He has never lost to a team with inferior talent.

Sig bet
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
Chocolateman78 wrote:
The thought of Chip Kelly in Nashville makes me physically ill. You think Munch is in over his head? What do you think's gonna happen when you bring in a guy to lead your franchise whose never coached on an NFL sideline. His offense intrigues me, but not to the point that I want to make him HC. Also I believe Chip Kelly would routinely lose 2-3 games a season if he were coaching in the SEC and facing defenses like Georgia, Florida, Alabama, LSU, and South Carolina on the regular basis. So again the thought of him coaching here is laughable to me. His only NFL tie is being a consultant for the Pats in the offseason. (which, I guess, leads people to believe that Belicheck just copied Kelly's playbook, play for play and that's
why the Pats are having so much success.)
Couldn't you argue that Chip would have better players than he has if he played in the SEC? Oregon as a state doesn't generate very many 4-5* players. In fact the state of Georgia actually has more blue chip players then the state of California. In fact IIRC Georgia as a state has more 4-5* players this year as HS Seniors than the entire region of the Pac-12. In 2011 he had a top 13 recruiting class but 4 of his top 11 players have transferred before ever playing a down. His best OL this year was the 89th best OT coming outta HS.

He has never lost to a team with inferior talent.

I think that he would have better talent. But I don't think he'd be out recruiting Bama, Georgia, Florida and the other teams I named. And I still think he'd lose to defense's who have the D-linemen to disrupt the spread option.

but that's not the point. I'm just baffled how people think a guy with a good COLLEGE offense and NO NFL experience can come in and rejuvenate and lead an NFL franchise. I just want someone to give me a compelling argument as to why Chip Kelly would be a successful NFL coach. Something other than this asinine logic of, 'Kelly runs an up tempo spread offense, and the Patriots run an uptempo spread offense, and Chip Kelly consulted the Patriots in the offseason, therefore Chip Kelly's spread option will undoubtedly work.'

How is he different from Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, or Spurrier. as a HC, not as a playcaller?

**RIP Steve McNair**
lamont

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFL.com article predicts that Mucnh will get the boot.

Quote:
I would not fire Mike Munchak. I think he's a solid coach and he did a nice job in 2011. Jerry Gray is an overmatched defensive coordinator and should be fired. But Adams seemingly is getting antsy, and the disastrous loss to the Green Bay Packers in Week 16 didn't help. I hope I am wrong, but I think the Tennessee Titans will be looking for a new coach.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000117712/article/pat-shurmur-mike-munchak-ron-rivera-done-on-black-monday

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
Titans fan 617

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lamont wrote:
NFL.com article predicts that Mucnh will get the boot.

Quote:
I would not fire Mike Munchak. I think he's a solid coach and he did a nice job in 2011. Jerry Gray is an overmatched defensive coordinator and should be fired. But Adams seemingly is getting antsy, and the disastrous loss to the Green Bay Packers in Week 16 didn't help. I hope I am wrong, but I think the Tennessee Titans will be looking for a new coach.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000117712/article/pat-shurmur-mike-munchak-ron-rivera-done-on-black-monday

If hes fired this is the year to do it with a great chance to add good coaches to all 3 big coaching jobs

Sig by daboyle250

TITANIA FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Shaun Phillips: 11 Tackles 7 Assist 2 Sack

Ropati Pitoitua: 12 Tackles 11 Assist 2 Sack
Dionysus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
Dionysus wrote:
You can keep fooling yourselves about Fisher if you want, but the truth is VY or no VY, he wasn't going to take us any further than what he did. Fisher is a good players coach and he can make a team competitive, but that's about it. He's not a championship caliber coach, and he proved it almost every time he faced one. He's a good motivator and gets a lot out of his players, but his schemes were too basic and predictable and again he had no killer instinct (I know I said that about a million times). He would hardly ever put opponents away when he had on them ropes. No matter how our defense was dominating the other team all game, they were always within a one-score striking distance of tying or winning the game to the end. Half of the time, I believed the team succeeded in spite of his bland coaching. He always got outcoached by more creative minds who had less roster talent than we did.

Even if Fisher would've built the team he wanted (which most likely would've been all USC), he would've had either Matt Leinhart or Jay Cutler running the show. Quite frankly, Leinhart's work ethic is nothing to write home about, and Cutler acts like a little whiney b-tch when things don't go right. So who's to say that either of them would've been any better than VY overall? Floyd Reese wanted to draft Devin Hester in the 2nd round, but Fisher wanted LenDale and got him. Way to go Fish!!! Who made the better choice there? The Hester/LenDale thing didn't really have anything to do with my point, but I just wanted to throw that in there. Anyway Fisher had 17 years at it and couldn't get over the hump. And I don't see him doing it with the Rams either.

Fisher wasn't going to draft a quarterback, if I remember correctly. He was going to stick with McNair. Or at the very least, was going to keep McNair and allow a QB to learn under him. Bud ruined that as well, though.

And you talk about our playoff appearances/failures as if the issues in those playoff games were due to coaching..they weren't. Drew Bennett drops a perfectly thrown pass by McNair in 03 on 4th down. Kevin Dyson just can't quite reach the goal line in the superbowl. Eddie George bobbles a pass right in to Ray Lewis' arms in 00. The Ravens intentionally injure CJ and we fumble and throw INTs in the redzone in 08. Our offense in 07 was just...ugh. Vince was trying his "I'm a pocket passer" BS, White was decent but not enough to carry us, had no dominant receiver, etc.

The only loss in the playoffs that was "bad" was the Raiders AFC Championship game, and everything just fell apart after the 1st half, for whatever reason.

People, and this season is a prime example with the firing of Chris Palmer, like to blame coaches for players lack of execution. People do just that when talking about Fisher's "failures" in the playoffs. We had chances to win almost all of our playoff games(07 Chargers is the only game I feel we stood no chance), but didn't because of lack of execution. Not because failures from our coaches.

I've never claimed Fisher to be on Belichick's level or anything rediculous like that..but he knows how to build a team and can be very successful.

Drew Bennett drops that last pass, Kerry Collins throws in INT it in the red zone, Ray Lewis intercepts a bobbled pass to Eddie, Del Greco gets 2 FGs blocked (one returned for a TD), CJ gets injured, players fumbled the ball away, etc. etc. Pretty poor playoff history with all of the mishaps. Of course it's up to players to execute, I'll never argue against that point. The coaches can't go out on the field and play the game for them. But it's more than just playoff games that I'm talking about, and I never expected Fisher to be a mad scientist like Hoody either. However I did expect to see much more innovation in his schemes after so many years. I'm talking about a decade of, week after week, sitting through countless games that felt like slow death. Playing for FGs, playing the field position game, playing the clock, bend-but-don't-break defense, run, run, run again, a passing game full of dinking and dunking underneath even on 3rd and long, with your top two receivers being your TE and RB. We'll take a 2 point lead early in the 3rd quarter or something, then try to sit on it by going into our weak zone defense and try to run the clock out the rest of the way, maybe tack on another FG. The average game is usually about 3 hours of violent, head-smashing entertainment and (I dare say) excitement. But watching one of our games felt like I just did a 9 hour shift at the job. Even when we won, it didn't feel much better than a loss because I was just glad the game was finally over. And on several occasions, the game mercifully ended right as I was about to hang myself to end my 3+ hours of ongoing misery.

Everybody's got pros and cons, and nobody's saying that Fisher isn't a decent coach. What I'm saying is he's not an elite coach like people want to make him out to be. Yes, he's good at rebuilding a team and even making them respectable competitors, but that's about as good as it gets for him. He's great at managing things and taking care of certain details, I'm not arguing that either. He does a good job of getting the team ready to play. The problem is his whole style and philosophy may be very sound, but they're also very limited. They are severely outdated and doesn't stray away from the being basic. His stubborn loyalty to keeping his old average-at-best players on the field rather than go with younger playmakers who spend most of their time on the bench going to waste, was also a testament to his lack of creativity. He stuck with the same old mediocre starters because they were "dependable" as some might say. But "dependable" was basically all they were...no real game breakers or playmakers. His staff couldn't seem to coach anybody up beyond "OK" status. CJ2K was probably the best 1st round pick he made in the draft since Jevon Kearse. Fisher would've ran him into the ground like he did Eddie because that's all he seems to know. The truth is if he was coaching back in the 70s to mid 80s, he'd probably be one of the greatest in NFL history with 2 or 3 SuperBowl wins and his own football dynasty. But here in the modern era, he'll always fall short unless changes his way of thinking to evolve with the times.

TitanLegend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dionysus wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:
Dionysus wrote:
You can keep fooling yourselves about Fisher if you want, but the truth is VY or no VY, he wasn't going to take us any further than what he did. Fisher is a good players coach and he can make a team competitive, but that's about it. He's not a championship caliber coach, and he proved it almost every time he faced one. He's a good motivator and gets a lot out of his players, but his schemes were too basic and predictable and again he had no killer instinct (I know I said that about a million times). He would hardly ever put opponents away when he had on them ropes. No matter how our defense was dominating the other team all game, they were always within a one-score striking distance of tying or winning the game to the end. Half of the time, I believed the team succeeded in spite of his bland coaching. He always got outcoached by more creative minds who had less roster talent than we did.

Even if Fisher would've built the team he wanted (which most likely would've been all USC), he would've had either Matt Leinhart or Jay Cutler running the show. Quite frankly, Leinhart's work ethic is nothing to write home about, and Cutler acts like a little whiney b-tch when things don't go right. So who's to say that either of them would've been any better than VY overall? Floyd Reese wanted to draft Devin Hester in the 2nd round, but Fisher wanted LenDale and got him. Way to go Fish!!! Who made the better choice there? The Hester/LenDale thing didn't really have anything to do with my point, but I just wanted to throw that in there. Anyway Fisher had 17 years at it and couldn't get over the hump. And I don't see him doing it with the Rams either.

Fisher wasn't going to draft a quarterback, if I remember correctly. He was going to stick with McNair. Or at the very least, was going to keep McNair and allow a QB to learn under him. Bud ruined that as well, though.

And you talk about our playoff appearances/failures as if the issues in those playoff games were due to coaching..they weren't. Drew Bennett drops a perfectly thrown pass by McNair in 03 on 4th down. Kevin Dyson just can't quite reach the goal line in the superbowl. Eddie George bobbles a pass right in to Ray Lewis' arms in 00. The Ravens intentionally injure CJ and we fumble and throw INTs in the redzone in 08. Our offense in 07 was just...ugh. Vince was trying his "I'm a pocket passer" BS, White was decent but not enough to carry us, had no dominant receiver, etc.

The only loss in the playoffs that was "bad" was the Raiders AFC Championship game, and everything just fell apart after the 1st half, for whatever reason.

People, and this season is a prime example with the firing of Chris Palmer, like to blame coaches for players lack of execution. People do just that when talking about Fisher's "failures" in the playoffs. We had chances to win almost all of our playoff games(07 Chargers is the only game I feel we stood no chance), but didn't because of lack of execution. Not because failures from our coaches.

I've never claimed Fisher to be on Belichick's level or anything rediculous like that..but he knows how to build a team and can be very successful.

Drew Bennett drops that last pass, Kerry Collins throws in INT it in the red zone, Ray Lewis intercepts a bobbled pass to Eddie, Del Greco gets 2 FGs blocked (one returned for a TD), CJ gets injured, players fumbled the ball away, etc. etc. Pretty poor playoff history with all of the mishaps. Of course it's up to players to execute, I'll never argue against that point. The coaches can't go out on the field and play the game for them. But it's more than just playoff games that I'm talking about, and I never expected Fisher to be a mad scientist like Hoody either. However I did expect to see much more innovation in his schemes after so many years. I'm talking about a decade of, week after week, sitting through countless games that felt like slow death. Playing for FGs, playing the field position game, playing the clock, bend-but-don't-break defense, run, run, run again, a passing game full of dinking and dunking underneath even on 3rd and long, with your top two receivers being your TE and RB. We'll take a 2 point lead early in the 3rd quarter or something, then try to sit on it by going into our weak zone defense and try to run the clock out the rest of the way, maybe tack on another FG. The average game is usually about 3 hours of violent, head-smashing entertainment and (I dare say) excitement. But watching one of our games felt like I just did a 9 hour shift at the job. Even when we won, it didn't feel much better than a loss because I was just glad the game was finally over. And on several occasions, the game mercifully ended right as I was about to hang myself to end my 3+ hours of ongoing misery.

Everybody's got pros and cons, and nobody's saying that Fisher isn't a decent coach. What I'm saying is he's not an elite coach like people want to make him out to be. Yes, he's good at rebuilding a team and even making them respectable competitors, but that's about as good as it gets for him. He's great at managing things and taking care of certain details, I'm not arguing that either. He does a good job of getting the team ready to play. The problem is his whole style and philosophy may be very sound, but they're also very limited. They are severely outdated and doesn't stray away from the being basic. His stubborn loyalty to keeping his old average-at-best players on the field rather than go with younger playmakers who spend most of their time on the bench going to waste, was also a testament to his lack of creativity. He stuck with the same old mediocre starters because they were "dependable" as some might say. But "dependable" was basically all they were...no real game breakers or playmakers. His staff couldn't seem to coach anybody up beyond "OK" status. CJ2K was probably the best 1st round pick he made in the draft since Jevon Kearse. Fisher would've ran him into the ground like he did Eddie because that's all he seems to know. The truth is if he was coaching back in the 70s to mid 80s, he'd probably be one of the greatest in NFL history with 2 or 3 SuperBowl wins and his own football dynasty. But here in the modern era, he'll always fall short unless changes his way of thinking to evolve with the times.

I agree with the majority of this post. Fisher's system frustrated me at times, but it was overall effective. I believe his record with a lead going in to the 4th quarter is 2nd only to Vince Lombardi. I forget the exact numbers, but I remember hearing that stat numerous times on broadcasts.

My biggest issue with him is the way he ran our RBs, but at the same time..did he have a lot of choice? McNair took a very long time to develop. It wasn't til maybe 01, but mostly 02 that we could actually rely on him consistently. He was always clutch in the end, but he couldn't dominate a game with his arm early in his career. I've heard some argue that if we gave him more freedom in the passing game he'd have developed faster, so I dunno, it's hard to say I guess. We all know we didn't have much at QB in regards to CJ, though.

I do feel he gave us every chance from a coaching perspective to win in the playoffs, we just didn't execute. I do feel he's good enough to win a superbowl. But that's just opinion, I guess.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragevsuall17 wrote:
TitanSS wrote:

Pass.

Ok... so lets just rotate 4 horrible safeties, show no discipline or leadership at any level of the team and go 6-10...

At least our current coach is willing to rotate younger players in when the ageing starters aren't performing. Fisher is a career 8-8 coach and he will be lucky if he manages that in St Louis.

He may be a better coach than Munchak, but he will never win a Super Bowl. Munchak wasn't supposed to be good. When we stayed in house for our next Head Coach we made a huge mistake and a very stupid one that will possibly set back the development of our youth.

Clean house now. Go after someone at HC who is actually promising. Otherwise we might as well have just kept 8-8 Fisher.

Sean Peyton would be a dream for us. I wouldn't mind the Chip Kelly experiment as many are talking about... but it is very much an experiment.
Titans fan 617

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
ragevsuall17 wrote:
TitanSS wrote:

Pass.

At least our current coach is willing to rotate younger players in when the ageing starters aren't performing. Fisher is a career 8-8 coach and he will be lucky if he manages that in St Louis.

He may be a better coach than Munchak, but he will never win a Super Bowl. Munchak wasn't supposed to be good. When we stayed in house for our next Head Coach we made a huge mistake and a very stupid one that will possibly set back the development of our youth.

Clean house now. Go after someone at HC who is actually promising. Otherwise we might as well have just kept 8-8 Fisher.

Sean Peyton would be a dream for us. I wouldn't mind the Chip Kelly experiment as many are talking about... but it is very much an experiment.

Peyton just became the richest coach in Amrica. Chip Kelly wont come here because he wont have control over what he wants to do. Rumors are already swirling about Andy Reid already has his sites set on San Diego so if the Titans are gonna let Munch go they better start courting someone to come to Nashville because the coaches are already starting to come off the board

Sig by daboyle250

TITANIA FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Shaun Phillips: 11 Tackles 7 Assist 2 Sack

Ropati Pitoitua: 12 Tackles 11 Assist 2 Sack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: