Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Freaking Out Twice Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freakout

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Freaking Out Twice Mock Reply with quote

The Vikings finish with a 9-7 record.

I definitely believe that there will be discussion about replacing Musgrave. There are concerns such as clock management and the clear lack of production from the passing game. While at the same time his use of the fullback position has been huge for Peterson and the running game. There is no guarantee that another coordinator would value the position and I strongly feel that would be a big mistake. Overall I feel Musgrave has had good game plans despite being limited due to personnel and talent. Then there is the factor of changing the system, learning new plays for Ponder, in what is typically the critical 3rd year of a young quarterback. In the end I feel they stick with what they have. If it fails I believe both Musgrave and Ponder will be replaced.

As for Percy Harvin, the team decides to trade him. I get the feeling that management just does not want drama surrounding this team. With the rebuild going on they cannot afford to have a player of Harvin's stature negatively influencing the locker room. In terms of his value, I see teams with very little holes on their roster like New England, Houston, and San Francisco jumping at the chance to add him.

ROSTER MANAGEMENT

RB Matt Asiata - released
I would prefer that our 3rd RB be more of a scat back type. Asiata is nothing more than a lesser version of Gerhart.

FB Jerome Felton - resigned
If anyone deserves an extension it would be Felton. He has sacrificed his body all season by taking on linebackers to spring Peterson.

WR Jerome Simpson - resigned
The expectations for him was way too high. That combined with his injury has made him an easy target but I would be fine with keeping him around for depth.

WR Devin Aromashodu - not resigned
He has had so many chances to hang around and has done very little with them. The next time he makes a play on a contested pass will be his first.

WR Michael Jenkins - resigned
I believe Jenkins is a dependable receiver. When he is used in the short yard passing game and is allowed to find holes in zone coverage he is effective. It isn't his fault Musgrave has him running double moves up the sideline.

WR Stephen Burton - released
You could make a great case for him being the worst wide receiver in the NFL. I still do not even understand the logic of bringing him in as a run blocker. When you could just line John Carlson up out wide and have him block down field.

TE John Carlson - released
Way too much money for a tight end that is 3rd on the depth chart. The truth is he was never a good compliment to Rudolph.

OL Phil Loadholt - resigned
Another guy that has earned his extension. Spielman has to keep him around.

OL Geoff Schwartz - resigned
I am sure he will test the market and if his value is about the same as last seasons I hope we keep him around. Good depth that can play both RG and RT.

DT Kevin Williams - not resigned
There is a lot of emotional attachment to Kevin but you cannot ignore that he is having arguably the worst season of his career. When you factor in his potential asking price, he becomes replaceable.

LB Erin Henderson - not resigned
I have said that I expect Henderson to walk and that hasn't changed. He wanted to get paid last off-season and wasn't happy taking a one year deal. I expect he will do the same thing again only this time the team replaces him.

LB Jasper Brinkley - resigned
He and Henderson are in similar situations. Neither guy has really locked down their position but I do not see Spielman letting both go. I am predicting Jasper agrees to a deal before Henderson.

LB Larry Dean - released
I'll go ahead and admit that I dislike keeping around players that are strictly special teams guys. If you do keep a player like that around then he better be another Heath Farwell.

LB Marvin Mitchell - resigned
He is nothing more than a cheap veteran backup but at least he managed to start two games for us without looking out of place.

LB Tyrone McKenzie - resigned
He has grown on me. He often stands out on special teams and wouldn't be a complete liability if forced to actually play on defense (based on how he played in preseason games).

CB AJ Jefferson - resigned
I have been pleasantly surprised by Jefferson. I do not want him starting but as a nickle or dime guy he is pretty good.

CB Brandon Burton - released
Talk about being forgettable. Right now he cannot get on the field even ahead of a rookie like Robert Blanton.

CB Marcus Sherels - resigned
I think he has earned his option being picked up. Field position is such a huge part of our offense and Sherels has been solid this season.

SS Jamarca Sanford - resigned
He has completely changed my opinion of him. I think some of it is due to Alan Williams putting him in a position to succeed but he has made the most of it. In combination with his play on special teams, I think he definitely deserves a new contract.

SS Andrew Sendejo - released
I do not think he has done anything to earn being kept around.

Both Jared Allen and Antoine Winfield restructure their contracts.

FREE AGENCY

I really want to put one of the stud free agent receivers here but I just do not see it happening. I do think Rick Spielman will try but we just do not seem to be a big free agent destination without overpaying.

- WR Joshua Cribbs - 6'1 215 lbs

If you trade Percy Harvin you had better bring someone in that can do some of the things that Harvin did for us. Cribbs would be nothing more than a stop gap solution but the things he can do are exactly what we need. I don't view him as a true WR but I do believe we could use him as a utility guy the way we used Percy. A short yardage dump off guy that can get you YAC. His kick return ability is a added bonus.

- DT Glen Dorsey - 6'1 297 lbs

I look for Spielman to continue turning over the roster and getting younger. Kevin Williams may still have some life left in him but Spielman chooses to spend that cash on a younger replacement. I expect Dorsey to jump at the chance to get back at being a 3-tech.

- DT Brian Price - 6'1 303 lbs

It very well could mean nothing (we showed similar interest last season in Max Starks) but the two workouts does show an interest. At this point Fred Evans is clearly the better run stopping DT compared to Letroy Guion but I would prefer more competition at that spot.

THE DRAFT

*Draft position based off of CBSSPORTS.COM*

Minnesota trades Percy Harvin to the Houston Texans for their 1st round draft pick and OG Brandon Brooks. Houston drafted Brooks in the 3rd round last season but he is a poor fit in their zone blocking scheme.

1. WR Terrance Williams - 6'2 205 lbs.

Williams would give us that strong, outside, vertical threat that we have been desperately needing. He also does a good job of run blocking and on our team that is requirement.

1. OG Jonathan Cooper - 6'3 310 lbs. from Houston

The offensive line deserves credit for improving this season but it can still get better. Kalil made a huge difference and Loadholt has bounced back with a very good season. The problem is now defenses have adjusted and they attack interior of our offensive line. We need to finish molding the offensive line so that there are no weak links. Especially when you are a team built around the running game.

2. FS TJ McDonald - 6'2 205 lbs.

Harrison Smith almost single handidly changed the way our secondary is viewed. Unfortunately the players we have beside him are flawed. The constant flip flopping between Sanford and Raymond definitely doesn't help build a cohesive unit. McDonald would continue to improve our secondary and in a division like ours that is something you should always be looking to improve.

3. LB Gerald Hodges - 6'2 238 lbs.

The team has to start addressing the linebacking unit. Hodges is coming from a program known for developing good linebackers. He is a versatile linebacker and you would struggle to find a weakness in his game. He is one of the few OLB's in this draft that I feel can transition to MLB in our scheme.

4. WR Denard Robinson - 5'11 197 lbs. from Detroit

I look at Robinson as a playmaker similar to when we drafted Percy Harvin. He may never develop into a great route runner but every time he touches the ball he has the ability to take take it to the house. Get him the ball in space, screens, slants, sweeps, reverses etc. every now and then have him run a deep route to remind defenses that "Hey this kid has world class speed!".

4. TE Chris Gragg - 6'3 236 lbs

This may be wishful thinking but missing almost all of your senior season due to a leg injury often impacts your draft stock. If Gragg can stay healthy he is the perfect compliment to Rudolph and Ellison as he is more of a vertical threat.

5. CB Micah Hyde - 6'1 190 lbs.

We all have our draft crushes and for me it is Hyde. I just think he really fits with what we expect out of our DB's. You are just not going to play for this team if you cannot tackle or understand zone concepts. Thing is Hyde is also pretty darn good at getting his head around and locating the ball. I honestly cannot see him going this late but I am sticking to cbssports.com rankings.

6. DE Devin Taylor - 6'7 267 lbs

He never really put it together at South Carolina. Watching him play he is a little stiff in the hips but at the same time he is very athletic for a guy his size. I could see Spielman drafting him as a project to stash on the practice squad with the intent of developing him as a pass rusher.

6. P Jeff Locke - 6'0 208 lbs

I expect the team to replace Kluwe. I just get the feeling that Mike Priefer is a no nonsense type of coach and it has been clear that Kluwe's antics has frustrated him.

2013 ROSTER

QB| Christian Ponder | Joe Webb | McLeod Bethel-Thompson
RB| Adrian Peterson | Toby Gerhart | Jerome Felton
TE| Kyle Rudolph | Rhett Ellison | Chris Gragg
WR| Terrance Williams | Jerome Simpson
WR| Josh Cribbs | Denard Robinson
WR| Jarius Wright | Michael Jenkins

LT| Matt Kalil | Demarcus Love
LG| Jonathan Cooper | Charlie Johnson
C| John Sullivan
RG| Brandon Brooks | Brandon Fusco
RT| Phil Loadholt | Geoff Schwartz

DE| Jared Allen | Everson Griffen
DT| Fred Evans | Brian Price | Letroy Guion
DT| Glen Dorsey | Christian Ballard
DE| Brian Robison | DíAundre Reed

OLB| Chad Greenway | Audie Cole
MLB| Jasper Brinkley | Tyrone McKenzie
OLB| Gerald Hodges | Marvin Mitchell

CB| Chris Cook | Antoine Winfield | Micah Hyde
CB| AJ Jefferson | Josh Robinson | Marcus Sherels (PR)
FS| TJ McDonald | Mistral Raymond
SS| Harrison Smith | Jamarca Sanford | Robert Blanton

K| Blair Walsh
P| Jeff Locke
LS| Cullen Loeffler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean has been great on special teams this year. I'd like to keep him around.
Eastern Walrus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any draft with Robinson coming to MN has my nod or approval
2013 Adopt a Minnesota Viking - Xavier Rhodes - CB - #29

XBL - Eastern Walrus
Klomp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually agree with a lot of this. The most unrealistic part I see is the return value for Harvin. I don't even think he'll return us a 1st, and certainly not a 1st plus a player.
biggsohnasty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dig it. I'd love to see us get somebody sexy in FA at WR (Bowe, Jennings) but as you pointed out, the liklihood of that occurring is minimal.

I like the Williams, Cooper, Hyde and Hodges picks especially. McDonald and Taylor both wouldnt suprise me given Spielman loves USC (both of em). I'm not a huge fan of McDonald but he is definitly a physical presence and perhaps has had to do too much this year, while playing alongside Harri would allow for a dynamic tandem.

I may be the only one who agrees with your Harvin trade, and I don't know how you move a guy who is the best "athlete" in the NFL (not athletic ability, but athlete as in hybrid RB/WR college position). Hes got another year on his deal, and is so freaking talented that I just dont see them selling him for nothing. There should be enough teams fighting for him that his market is driven up. If I'm the Texans, I absolutely make that trade.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the roster management resigned/released.

Though I dont agree that I think Rick will move Harvin, but the value is fair.

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Freaking Out Twice Mock Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
FREE AGENCY

- WR Joshua Cribbs - 6'1 215 lbs

If you trade Percy Harvin you had better bring someone in that can do some of the things that Harvin did for us. Cribbs would be nothing more than a stop gap solution but the things he can do are exactly what we need. I don't view him as a true WR but I do believe we could use him as a utility guy the way we used Percy. A short yardage dump off guy that can get you YAC. His kick return ability is a added bonus.

Browns receiver and return man Josh Cribbs becomes a free agent this offseason, and he sounds like he could use a fresh start. Although Cribbs says heíd like to remain in Cleveland, he also lashed out at Browns fans on Twitter after Sundayís loss to the Broncos, and he told reporters this week that he finds it frustrating being with a franchise that is constantly making changes.

Cribbs: ďI hate that we rebuild every year. You gotta teach guys how to play special teams because, in college, you donít take special teams to heart. Guys donít pay a lot of attention to it. They donít know how important it is. Every year is a constant rebuilding process, every year. Coupled with that and the turnover and the regime [change] constantly happening, you know Iím not on the field by myself. . . . Itís not a good recipe for successful football.Ē

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/28/soon-to-be-free-agent-josh-cribbs-is-frustrated-in-cleveland/

he sounds like a pretty good fit, actually.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it outside of the WR's. Technically, the WR corps got worse. Cribbs has never really proven anything offensively, we lose Harvin and replace with Robinson (another downgrade), and Williams isnt NFL proven and its hard to get a read there. Im sure the Vikings #1 priority this offseason will be WR...I sure as heck hope they improve it better than this.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the idea of drafting position-less athletes ala Robinson. We have a freakish athlete that this coaching staff has failed to utilize at all, much less properly. I'd be in favor of it if the coaching staff were more imaginative, but alas, they are not.

I'm not a Terrance Williams fan, but it does address a position of need. I think that in this scenario I would look at packaging the firsts to try to get T'eo. He would be a cornerstone for this team along with Harrion Smith and hopefully Cook. I think the immediate return would be greater for a team that just missed the playoffs.

Josh Ritter wrote:
I became a thin blue wire, that held the world above the fire
Klomp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDBrocks wrote:
I don't like the idea of drafting position-less athletes ala Robinson. We have a freakish athlete that this coaching staff has failed to utilize at all, much less properly. I'd be in favor of it if the coaching staff were more imaginative, but alas, they are not.

We also have someone like Percy who the team has lined up all over the field.

The Webb situation is different because he is our primary backup quarterback, and Bethel-Thompson is a developmental guy who we can't really trust right now in key situations. Last year we had Rosenfels who our staff trusted, which allowed us to be more flexible in using Webb. But if we use him imaginatively this year and he gets hurt we have no backup quarterback.

That's the difference between someone like Webb this year and someone like Robinson.
JDBrocks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvin wasn't drafted as an athlete though. He also had experience playing all of the positions he plays now. Robinson has been a QB during his college career, and expecting him to transition with the way that they tried to develop Webb would be asking a lot IMO.

Josh Ritter wrote:
I became a thin blue wire, that held the world above the fire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: