Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Keep Caldwell?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rayvens4sb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Keep Caldwell? Reply with quote

Do you guys think we have a chance of keeping Caldwell as OC IF he keeps up the playcalling from yesterday into preseason? I know there are going to be a few options in the offseason, like Norv Turner, but if Caldwell does what he did yesterday with the creative playcalling, I don't really see a reason to get of him.
draftguru1234

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preferably, no.

But if Turner is the only other option, I'll stick with Caldwell.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the strength of yesterday's game, yes. But that was only one game, and I would like to see a lot more of what he can do next week and in the post-season, before I'd be happy for him to have a chance next year.

I know the players are being diplomatic about it, and saying that the main difference is the speed in which the plays come in from the sidelines, but there's definitely more to it than that.

I feel like Caldwell has spent all year watching Cam call plays and thinking 'why's he doing that? That's dumb', and that might have been the best preparation he could have had to call plays for this offense.

He just seems to make common-sense calls that fit the personnel and situation. Just keeps things simple when they need to be, and come up with something that works whenever things aren't simple.

Whether he can do that on a sustained basis, I don't know. And the other thing to consider is, if Caldwell becomes OC, what do the Ravens do about a QB coach? Ask Caldwell to do both jobs and try to split his time between them? Bring someone else in, even though Flacco has a good relationship with Caldwell?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cameron was both the OC and QB coach last season if I remember correctly so it wouldn't be a big surprise Ravens went that route. I'm not too worried about that aspect of the situation but it's something that will be interesting to see how it plays out too.

I think that if the offense keeps building on this past game and finishes the season relatively strong then they will probably keep Caldwell. It would be kind of hard for them to move on from him at that point. I wouldn't have a big problem with it personally since there isn't anybody that will be or will potentially be available that I think is an elite or "must-have" option to take over as the OC.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if our offense continues to click for the remainder of the season, we very well may. But at the same time, I think we should most definitely do our due diligence and conduct some interviews with Caldwell included in there and determine the best option moving forward.

I hope Turner isn't on that list, however.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
I think if our offense continues to click for the remainder of the season, we very well may. But at the same time, I think we should most definitely do our due diligence and conduct some interviews with Caldwell included in there and determine the best option moving forward.

I hope Turner isn't on that list, however.

I agree at the end of the season we should interview a couple OC's and make the best choice going forward. If the offense proves itself in the postseason, I'd be fine with Caldwell staying too. I like Caldwell and Hostler working together, and I wonder what Hostler could do as OC. I've heard positive things and I wonder if he is a future candidate.
drd23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Cameron was both the OC and QB coach last season if I remember correctly so it wouldn't be a big surprise Ravens went that route

Yeah, but that was only because Cam was such a control freak that he didn't like having Jim Zorn in Joe's ear Wink

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drd23 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
Cameron was both the OC and QB coach last season if I remember correctly so it wouldn't be a big surprise Ravens went that route

Yeah, but that was only because Cam was such a control freak that he didn't like having Jim Zorn in Joe's ear Wink

That's true, but I think the main point was that there is a precedence in place for that action to happen. It wouldn't be shocking to see Caldwell operate both spots.

But I agree that the most likely thing is Caldwell manning only one position going forward. At least we'd bring in a QB coach simply to have an offensive mind waiting in the wings just in case Caldwell gets another HC shot at either the pro or college level.

In terms of the OP- I think the plan was always to consider Caldwell for offensive coordinator. Harbaugh seems to like to hire a guy for a year as a coach and have him gell with the staff before advancing him to coordinator. He did it with Mattison and Pees both... And now is doing it with Caldwell a little sooner. It's clearly a pattern of how he likes to operate. So with that being said, unless Caldwell proves to be incapable in these next couple+ games, I think we see him return as the play caller.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Zorn, I'd love to have him back as OC this time.
alfalcone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep Caldwell? Reply with quote

rayvens4sb wrote:
Do you guys think we have a chance of keeping Caldwell as OC IF he keeps up the playcalling from yesterday into preseason? I know there are going to be a few options in the offseason, like Norv Turner, but if Caldwell does what he did yesterday with the creative playcalling, I don't really see a reason to get of him.

There's not really a big enough sample size to know one way or another, they looked awful against Denver and awesome against New York, I think the next two games, and possibly longer if the Ravens make a playoff run will go a long was in determining his future. I think there is definitely something to be said for mixing offensive philosophies, which Caldwell had done out of circumstance, rather than running the pure form of an offense.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Caldwell have a system/playbook of his own that he even has the ability to implement? He definitely showed us all something encouraging on Sunday, with Torrey running slant routes, Boldin utilizing the middle of the field from the slot, the option play on 3rd down (and overall a terrific intuition on when to use Pierce and when to use Rice), getting Rice out in space in the passing game, and overall getting the ball out of Flacco's hands early. A 2nd full week to prepare with the offense and get them up to speed with what he wants to do was clearly beneficial.

My main concern, though, is that Caldwell is still working from Cam's playbook for the rest of this season. If keeping Caldwell means keeping that system, then I'm not a fan of it even if Caldwell is more capable of finding ways to make it work than Cam was. And if Caldwell does have a system of his own that he would implement, I would want to hear some details about what that entails. I think it's most likely going to be either Caldwell or Norv as the OC next year, in any case.

Depending on how Caldwell and the offense do with the rest of this season, we may see Caldwell earn the job full-time and we may even be a big playoff run away from Flacco solidifying his long term contract. There is A LOT to play for, both individually and for the team as a whole. The win over the Giants has, at the very least, given me some new energy and fresh optimism as to what this team can do in January with all of the attention focused squarely on the darlings in New England and Denver.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Does Caldwell have a system/playbook of his own that he even has the ability to implement? He definitely showed us all something encouraging on Sunday, with Torrey running slant routes, Boldin utilizing the middle of the field from the slot, the option play on 3rd down (and overall a terrific intuition on when to use Pierce and when to use Rice), getting Rice out in space in the passing game, and overall getting the ball out of Flacco's hands early. A 2nd full week to prepare with the offense and get them up to speed with what he wants to do was clearly beneficial.

My main concern, though, is that Caldwell is still working from Cam's playbook for the rest of this season. If keeping Caldwell means keeping that system, then I'm not a fan of it even if Caldwell is more capable of finding ways to make it work than Cam was. And if Caldwell does have a system of his own that he would implement, I would want to hear some details about what that entails. I think it's most likely going to be either Caldwell or Norv as the OC next year, in any case.

Depending on how Caldwell and the offense do with the rest of this season, we may see Caldwell earn the job full-time and we may even be a big playoff run away from Flacco solidifying his long term contract. There is A LOT to play for, both individually and for the team as a whole. The win over the Giants has, at the very least, given me some new energy and fresh optimism as to what this team can do in January with all of the attention focused squarely on the darlings in New England and Denver.

Caldwell could potentially create his own -- most coaches do I'm sure. I don't know exactly what it would entail, but if it's anything like some of the plays we saw this week (the slant, the shovel pass, the bootlegs, etc) then I'm all for it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Caldwells playbook has variety in it, then I'm on board! It was a different team last Sunday out there. Play call wise.

Best play we've talked about is the slant. Nice to see Caldwell using Torrey's speed for more than just a Hail Mary & pray type of play
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Ault anyone?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/29/offensive-innovator-chris-ault-leaves-nevada-could-head-to-nfl/
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:
Chris Ault anyone?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/29/offensive-innovator-chris-ault-leaves-nevada-could-head-to-nfl/

Perhaps as an offensive assistant of some sort. Perhaps even as a QBs coach. But I wouldn't look to put a guy without any NFL coaching experience as an OC outright. I think Harbaugh tends to have a good system in that sense. Put a guy in your booth before you put him out there as your coordinator. Let him prove his coaching mettle for a season and see if he has any great ideas worth backing. If not, you avoid the big mistake of having a guy who couldn't adjust his college offense to the pros. At least this way, if Caldwell fails and this guy is in the wings, maybe he has something to add to the table.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: