Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How do we fix our QB Situation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rampantjet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I more hate his uncanny ability to fumble even more readily than our own beloved QB. Vick fumbles and or gets hurt due to a slight breeze going by him. Is he talented? Unquestionably. He is still super fast and has a cannon of an arm. But Jeff George might have had one of the best arms even but he wasn't a good NFL QB, talent isn't the only factor.
Rich51

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampantjet wrote:
I more hate his uncanny ability to fumble even more readily than our own beloved QB. Vick fumbles and or gets hurt due to a slight breeze going by him. Is he talented? Unquestionably. He is still super fast and has a cannon of an arm. But Jeff George might have had one of the best arms even but he wasn't a good NFL QB, talent isn't the only factor.

Not to mention that he's only had one good year as a throwing Qb and has been going down every year, along with his running ability.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/V/VickMi00.htm
BBIB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampantjet wrote:

Im quite fascinated how many New York Jet fans and media are pointing to Vick's turnover woes

I mean isn't the team that's the premiere team in the city a team that features Eli Manning?

Eli Manning's career TD/TO ratio is worse than Vick's. Eli Manning has 17 or more turnovers in all but one of his full years as a starter.

And Vick's durability concerns are overblown by repetition.

In 2004 he missed ZERO games due to injury. He didn't start a game because the Falcons already clinched a bye week. In 2002 he missed ONE game. In 2005 he missed ONE game and that was precautionary as well. He had the two rib injuries in 2010 and 2011, but he's since added a military grade kevlar vest which makes the reoccurring of that injury highly unlikely.

And this year he was held out more than one game because of politics more than anything.
Heavinsent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBIB wrote:
rampantjet wrote:

Im quite fascinated how many New York Jet fans and media are pointing to Vick's turnover woes

I mean isn't the team that's the premiere team in the city a team that features Eli Manning?

Eli Manning's career TD/TO ratio is worse than Vick's. Eli Manning has 17 or more turnovers in all but one of his full years as a starter.

And Vick's durability concerns are overblown by repetition.

In 2004 he missed ZERO games due to injury. He didn't start a game because the Falcons already clinched a bye week. In 2002 he missed ONE game. In 2005 he missed ONE game and that was precautionary as well. He had the two rib injuries in 2010 and 2011, but he's since added a military grade kevlar vest which makes the reoccurring of that injury highly unlikely.

And this year he was held out more than one game because of politics more than anything.

Please stop. We don't want Vick.

Props to Jamison for the sig.
BBIB

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavinsent wrote:

Well if Vick lands on the Bills you all will be the 4th best team in the AFC East
RDawg10

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBIB wrote:
Heavinsent wrote:

Well if Vick lands on the Bills you all will be the 4th best team in the AFC East

That might be the dumbest statement I've ever heard.
rampantjet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if we ignore Vicks turnovers, his injury history makes him almost useless as a starting QB. Consistency is very important to building a playoff caliber team. Not knowing who the QB is going to be on a weekly basis doesn't help. He amazingly seems to be getting LESS durable with age.
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have McElroy start every game next year than see Michael Vick play a single down in a Jets uniform.
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDawg10 wrote:
BBIB wrote:
Heavinsent wrote:

BBIB is in the Jags forum too about the Vick nonsense. Ignore him.

Poz- 68 comb tackles, 1 sack 2 int
Henne- 103/173 1,222 yards 2 td 5 int 72.9 rating
#JDI
ekill08x

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:
RDawg10 wrote:
BBIB wrote:
Heavinsent wrote:

He might be the most annoying poster on FF right now.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
BBIB

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampantjet wrote:
Even if we ignore Vicks turnovers, his injury history makes him almost useless as a starting QB. Consistency is very important to building a playoff caliber team. Not knowing who the QB is going to be on a weekly basis doesn't help. He amazingly seems to be getting LESS durable with age.

His injury history is even more overblown. All this talk about him starting one full season a starter. #1 so has Big Ben

#2 Vick missed one game in 2004 because the Falcons clinched a bye week. Not because he was too hurt to play. In 2005 he missed a whopping one game. IN 2010 and 2011 he suffered rib injuries, injuries that are not a problem to be repeated seeing that he now wears a kevlar vest

The fact that he missed so many games this season was because the Eagles wanted to see what they had in Foles more than anything. And just about any quarterback would get hurt playing behind the Eagles Oline throwing the ball 40+ times a game
BBIB

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:
RDawg10 wrote:
BBIB wrote:
Heavinsent wrote:

I may be a Vick fan but I give people facts. It was laughed off by people when I said Vick could even start another game in the NFL back in 2009. Turns out I was a lot closer to the truth that Vick's critics who thought it was laughable that he could even be a better option than Kevin Kolb as a starter for a single game, let alone a season

Vick haters are far more unobjective than Vick fans considering some haters won't even admit that Vick is a better QB than Blaine Gabbert for crying out loud
KBS756

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
I'd rather have McElroy start every game next year than see Michael Vick play a single down in a Jets uniform.

I'd rather have Vick than that situation ... a Backup QB who cant be responsible and notify his team that hes got a Concussion. Opens his mouth to the Media when hes a 3rd QB end of last season. Oh yea and ontop of that doesnt know that you cant take 11 Sacks in a game.

Vick would be able to win games and actually give our Team a chance. Is Vick a long term solution no but he is a decent stop gap who wants to prove something.

That said ... I'm gonna watch some Geno Smith and Ryan Nassib and see if either looks like an NFL QB
jetskid007

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our QB situation is so poor that I wouldn't even care about Vick coming in as the starter, I'm just trying to point out that it wouldn't be much of a difference.

Who would Vick have to throw to? Who's running the ball? Who's calling the offense?

That coupled with the fact that we will have little money to offer in free agency leads me to believe that Vick will not be a fit with the New York Jets. The only way the Jets could afford to sign Vick is if they add years and signing bonuses into the contract, which would be even more idiotic then the Sanchez extension was.

Regardless which way you put it, Vick is a 33 year old running quarterback who has battled injuries and has turned the ball over his past 2 seasons in Philadelphia. If he were willing to accept a 1 year, $3.5 million contract I'll take him, otherwise no thanks.
BBIB

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
Our QB situation is so poor that I wouldn't even care about Vick coming in as the starter, I'm just trying to point out that it wouldn't be much of a difference.

Who would Vick have to throw to? Who's running the ball? Who's calling the offense?

That coupled with the fact that we will have little money to offer in free agency leads me to believe that Vick will not be a fit with the New York Jets. The only way the Jets could afford to sign Vick is if they add years and signing bonuses into the contract, which would be even more idiotic then the Sanchez extension was.

Regardless which way you put it, Vick is a 33 year old running quarterback who has battled injuries and has turned the ball over his past 2 seasons in Philadelphia. If he were willing to accept a 1 year, $3.5 million contract I'll take him, otherwise no thanks.

Vick had to throw the ball 40+ times a game in Philadelphia

The Jets are actually committed to running the football which is why they are #1 in the league in rushing the football since 2009

The Jets actually have a defense. So their offense wouldn't have to be elite just improved, which Vick would do

And Vick didn't have any great targets in Atlanta. Vick's ability to extend plays could improve a guy like Stephen Hill and Jeremy Kerley could be a weapon as well

Not to mention there's a whole off-season to add offensive weapons on the outside

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: