Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Henry Melton
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bearsaddict


Joined: 26 Apr 2006
Posts: 3544
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
bearsaddict wrote:
chisoxguy7 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
It might be a good idea to try to lock him up this offseason. If he has a monster season next year, it's only going to drive his price tag higher.


He's good, but does anyone else think he might struggle elsewhere?
No.


Well he's not built to play in a 3-4 so mark any teams who run that type of D of the list of potential suitors. He's also kind of limited to a one-gap type 4-3 defense. He's still not great in run support so keep that in mind.
He wouldn't go to a 3-4 team because he is a 4-3 DT. So the answer is still...no. He would succeed on any 4-3 team he would go to.
_________________
Here's to hoping Emery is NOTHING like Angelo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaMike


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5370
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsaddict wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
bearsaddict wrote:
chisoxguy7 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
It might be a good idea to try to lock him up this offseason. If he has a monster season next year, it's only going to drive his price tag higher.


He's good, but does anyone else think he might struggle elsewhere?
No.


Well he's not built to play in a 3-4 so mark any teams who run that type of D of the list of potential suitors. He's also kind of limited to a one-gap type 4-3 defense. He's still not great in run support so keep that in mind.
He wouldn't go to a 3-4 team because he is a 4-3 DT. So the answer is still...no. He would succeed on any 4-3 team he would go to.
He can play in a 4-3 or a 3-4. Much like Cullen Jenkins and Darnell Dockett.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bearsaddict


Joined: 26 Apr 2006
Posts: 3544
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
bearsaddict wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
bearsaddict wrote:
chisoxguy7 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
It might be a good idea to try to lock him up this offseason. If he has a monster season next year, it's only going to drive his price tag higher.


He's good, but does anyone else think he might struggle elsewhere?
No.


Well he's not built to play in a 3-4 so mark any teams who run that type of D of the list of potential suitors. He's also kind of limited to a one-gap type 4-3 defense. He's still not great in run support so keep that in mind.
He wouldn't go to a 3-4 team because he is a 4-3 DT. So the answer is still...no. He would succeed on any 4-3 team he would go to.
He can play in a 4-3 or a 3-4. Much like Cullen Jenkins and Darnell Dockett.
I disagree. I think he is a 4-3 guy all the way.
_________________
Here's to hoping Emery is NOTHING like Angelo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 18855
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsaddict wrote:
DaMike wrote:
bearsaddict wrote:
topwop1 wrote:
bearsaddict wrote:
chisoxguy7 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
It might be a good idea to try to lock him up this offseason. If he has a monster season next year, it's only going to drive his price tag higher.


He's good, but does anyone else think he might struggle elsewhere?
No.


Well he's not built to play in a 3-4 so mark any teams who run that type of D of the list of potential suitors. He's also kind of limited to a one-gap type 4-3 defense. He's still not great in run support so keep that in mind.
He wouldn't go to a 3-4 team because he is a 4-3 DT. So the answer is still...no. He would succeed on any 4-3 team he would go to.
He can play in a 4-3 or a 3-4. Much like Cullen Jenkins and Darnell Dockett.
I disagree. I think he is a 4-3 guy all the way.
As I pointed out earlier, he could play DE in 1-gap 3-4 a' la the Texans and Cowboys. But he's not a 2-gap player.
_________________

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bowler1215


Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Posts: 5398
Location: Illinois
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to sign him, keep young blood no the D-line. You guys think we'll resign Wootton as well? He's had a good year this year anyway.
_________________
Adopt a Bear:
Jordan Mills
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chisoxguy7


Joined: 17 Dec 2007
Posts: 2687
Location: Chicago
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowler1215 wrote:
We need to sign him, keep young blood no the D-line. You guys think we'll resign Wootton as well? He's had a good year this year anyway.


Depends on what he commands $$$-wise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sr7252


Joined: 20 Dec 2012
Posts: 144
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it's high..we should pay because these older guys are on the way out. We need as many young guys to play for us so they gain confidence from playing alongside such great D players.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 10714
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowler1215 wrote:
We need to sign him, keep young blood no the D-line. You guys think we'll resign Wootton as well? He's had a good year this year anyway.

Wootton is under contract next year for $575K, so he will be on the team next year. Personally even though he deserves a pay raise after this year I don't know that we can afford to give him one yet with the rest of our needs. I think his development may mean Idonije isn't back next year unless he takes a minimum type deal (which he has done before). I think everyone expects Shea to take on a bigger role next year at DE and Peppers isn't going anywhere although he probably has to restructure his deal. All of that, of course, assumes no defensive scheme change.
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 18855
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
Bowler1215 wrote:
We need to sign him, keep young blood no the D-line. You guys think we'll resign Wootton as well? He's had a good year this year anyway.

Wootton is under contract next year for $575K, so he will be on the team next year. Personally even though he deserves a pay raise after this year I don't know that we can afford to give him one yet with the rest of our needs. I think his development may mean Idonije isn't back next year unless he takes a minimum type deal (which he has done before). I think everyone expects Shea to take on a bigger role next year at DE and Peppers isn't going anywhere although he probably has to restructure his deal. All of that, of course, assumes no defensive scheme change.
Wootton has to play out his last year, too much injury history, has to show it wasn't a 1 time thing and come back and do it while starting the whole year. If he does it all again next year and gets 10+ sacks he'll be in line for a massive payday.
_________________

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9639
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I see the DL shaping up,

Peppers, restructures his deal for some cap relief.

Wootton, plays into his final year and if he is starting and playing well again signs a 4 year 18 million/7 guaranteed. Similar contact to the Vikings Brian Robison.

Shea McClellin, gets stronger and plays more.

Izzy Idonije, stays on a 1 year 1.5 million dollar deal because he does not want to leave and he is awesome depth.

Henry Melton, resigns for 5 years 37.5 million/18 guaranteed and is the starting DT.

Stephen Paea, stays as the NT.

Nate Collins, stays as the backup 3 technique maybe gets 1 year added to his deal.

Matt Toenia, he doesn't make a lot but he was injured and inactive a lot and may be released.
_________________
Adopt a Bear: DT Will Sutton [T, S, TFL, FF]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaMike


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5370
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
This is how I see the DL shaping up,

Peppers, restructures his deal for some cap relief.

Wootton, plays into his final year and if he is starting and playing well again signs a 4 year 18 million/7 guaranteed. Similar contact to the Vikings Brian Robison.

Shea McClellin, gets stronger and plays more.

Izzy Idonije, stays on a 1 year 1.5 million dollar deal because he does not want to leave and he is awesome depth.

Henry Melton, resigns for 5 years 37.5 million/18 guaranteed and is the starting DT.

Stephen Paea, stays as the NT.

Nate Collins, stays as the backup 3 technique maybe gets 1 year added to his deal.

Matt Toenia, he doesn't make a lot but he was injured and inactive a lot and may be released.
I think we have to bring in another DT. When Melton went down that really hurt us. We need some depth there. I don't trust Collins and Toe as our backups. Idonije can help there on occassion but he isn't consistent and his arrow is pointing down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaMike


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5370
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
Bowler1215 wrote:
We need to sign him, keep young blood no the D-line. You guys think we'll resign Wootton as well? He's had a good year this year anyway.

Wootton is under contract next year for $575K, so he will be on the team next year. Personally even though he deserves a pay raise after this year I don't know that we can afford to give him one yet with the rest of our needs. I think his development may mean Idonije isn't back next year unless he takes a minimum type deal (which he has done before). I think everyone expects Shea to take on a bigger role next year at DE and Peppers isn't going anywhere although he probably has to restructure his deal. All of that, of course, assumes no defensive scheme change.
His health is another reason I would wait to resign him. He's been hurt so much I'd wait as long as we can with him.

We almost resigned Knox long term. Different situations obviously but if we resigned Knox and he gets hurt like he did that could really hurt us.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group