Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Defensive Coordinator candidates?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Defensive Coordinator candidates? Reply with quote

This whole season, we've been clamoring for a new OC (rightfully so). But, we seem to be forgetting about the very real possibility that we will need a new DC as well. Rob Ryan was on many HC lists last year and will undoubtedly be on several this year (even more so if we make the playoffs with this retread defense).

If Rob takes a HC gig in the offseason, who would you guys like to see brought in? I don't think that guy is on the staff presently, so one guy I like is Casey Bradley (Seahawks). He may be another year or two away from being a HC candidate, but he would likely require a large pay increase from JJ to make a lateral move. I realize he runs a 4-3 but I wouldn't mind making the transition back to the 4-3. I feel like we have the personnel to make a relatively easy transition and it tends to be easier to draft for.

Who are some guys y'all would like to see brought in?

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
textaz03

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe Dom Capers is in his last year of his contract in GB. Don't quote me on that. But if we want to stay in the 3-4, he is the guy I would want in Dallas! He has a good relationship with Garrett from what I have read in past years.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Desperado82

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so long as Ware is in Dallas we will run a 3-4 defense.

If Rob were to leave, I would love to bring in Ray Horton to run the defense...although he could very well end up as the HC in Arizona from what I have been reading. If, for some odd reason he didn't, it would still likely require we give him the Assistant HC title, which could pose problems with Jimmy Robinson who I would hate to lose.

Just a few guys I'd like to see hired for what it's worth:

1. Mike Pettine, current NYJ defensive coordinator

2. Carnell Lake, current PIT defensive backs coach

3. Kevin Greene, current GB linebackers coach

I also wouldn't be against hiring Romeo Crennel. Yes, he is a terrible HC, but his abilities as a DC are what got him both HC stints. I think at this point in his career, he likely would be satisfied with a stable position as a DC with some team.

^^^mack
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
I think so long as Ware is in Dallas we will run a 3-4 defense.

If Rob were to leave, I would love to bring in Ray Horton to run the defense...although he could very well end up as the HC in Arizona from what I have been reading. If, for some odd reason he didn't, it would still likely require we give him the Assistant HC title, which could pose problems with Jimmy Robinson who I would hate to lose.

Just a few guys I'd like to see hired for what it's worth:

1. Mike Pettine, current NYJ defensive coordinator

2. Carnell Lake, current PIT defensive backs coach

3. Kevin Greene, current GB linebackers coach

I also wouldn't be against hiring Romeo Crennel. Yes, he is a terrible HC, but his abilities as a DC are what got him both HC stints. I think at this point in his career, he likely would be satisfied with a stable position as a DC with some team.

I agree about Romeo Crennel. He seems like a Wade Phillips clone. Great coordinator who just isn't cut out for a HC gig. I'd definitely be happy bringing him in.

DKDALfan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the guy might already be on the team, Matt Eberflus. Has really been impressive as our LB coach, just look how well all our LB backups are doing and the starters as well when they were healthy. Don't want to lose him.

- He was a DC for three years in college football, and I would like us to let him try it here in the NFL if Robs go.

I really do hope we can keep Rob, Eberflus and Henderson all on the team for a season or two more. They all are among the best coaches in the NFL.
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DKDALfan wrote:
I think that the guy might already be on the team, Matt Eberflus. Has really been impressive as our LB coach, just look how well all our LB backups are doing and the starters as well when they were healthy. Don't want to lose him.

- He was a DC for three years in college football, and I would like us to let him try it here in the NFL if Robs go.

I really do hope we can keep Rob, Eberflus and Henderson all on the team for a season or two more. They all are among the best coaches in the NFL.

If we were to hire from inside the org, Eberflus would be the only guy I'd be ok with. As you said, he has worked wonders with our backers and has spent lots of time with Rob's scheme so our defense wouldn't have to undergo significant change.

canadaluvsdalla

Location: I state my opinion. You Listen. I won't change my stance.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D_ick Lebeau might not return to Pittsburgh if Mike Tomlin doesn't say to him that he wants him back.

Who I really want is Jim Tonsula, 49ers defensive line coach. Since he has hired in 2007 hes been doing hell of a job over there with that D-line which is a staple of their defence. Eberflus wouldn't a be bad hire too. I wouldn't mind either of these guys.

Dirk Gently on 2012 Cowboys O-line wrote:
I think last year we gave up pressure to 3 jewish ladies from brooklyn.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith Butler would be a great option if he could ever be convinced to leave Pittsburgh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Ryan gets a head coaching job, I think he would make Eberflus his defensive coordinator. I like the suggestion of Romeo Crennel, but I hope we are able to keep our staff intact.

^daboyle250
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of me wishes we would of had a shot at Nolan last year. If Ryan leaves, we need to look at Romeo. We need a guy who will come in and stay at the DC position for a extended time.

Same reason I love the idea of Norv. A guy who wont be a HC ever again, just looking to find a team that he can build up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob isn't going anywhere. Rex's failure as a HC combined with Rob's loose cannon attitude and less than professional appearance will prevent any GM from taking a risk on him. He'll be back.

Sig Courtesy of thesickness89
Desperado82

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to drop my vote for Mike Pettine as a potential DC replacement after this just came to light

Mike Pettine caught as media leak

^^^mack
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would imagine if Dom Capers is in his contract year, he would be Garrett's #1 choice. Seem to remember him interviewing for a position once before.

Crennel should definitely get a mention. Really like Kevin Greene as well. Also have to mention Pepper Johnson. Johnson might actually be my personally favorite, if RR leaves and Capers were unavailable.

Kiltman on avy Pepper90 on sig
George Selvie Fan Club
textaz03

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I found on Capers.

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-announce-mccarthys-contract-extension

Quote:
According to a league source, the Packers signed all of their assistants, including coordinators Joe Philbin and Dom Capers, to one-year extensions that run through 2012.

So, my assumption is correct and Capers is a free agent

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
matt79511

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't heard anything anywhere about Ryan as a head coach candidate. Do we think he's getting canned or something?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: