Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jennings/McMillian rotation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Jennings/McMillian rotation Reply with quote

Is there rhythm to the rotation or is it random? Jennings gets the first series but I can never tell when McMillian is going to come in (besides 3 S looks.) Also which one do you think is better?
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
Willink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom flips a coin and just puts whoever out there

Quote:
If I have not lost my mind I can sometimes hear it preparing to defect
justo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I'm trying to figure this out with Rewind. Trying to type something out but it's glitchy AF right now and keeps trying to buffer. When I pause it just sends me back to 0:00 Evil or Very Mad
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
jfinley88

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like McMillian quite a bit more. Jennings should really just be our primary back-up at safety, or just used in three safety sets
justo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfinley88 wrote:
I like McMillian quite a bit more. Jennings should really just be our primary back-up at safety, or just used in three safety sets
This is what I thought the first couple weeks in the season. I actually liked Richardson more than Jennings because of what I saw in the preseason. Bummed me out that as soon as he saw the field he got hurt. Coaching staff likes Jennings though. At least seems like it.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
jfinley88 wrote:
This is what I thought the first couple weeks in the season. I actually liked Richardson more than Jennings because of what I saw in the preseason. Bummed me out that as soon as he saw the field he got hurt. Coaching staff likes Jennings though. At least seems like it.

Doc (Jennings) plays more so Cap (Burnett) can stay on SS, But in terms of eye test Million (McMillian) has outperformed Doc. Don't even know why they don't stick Million out there more against run heavy offenses. Plus Million is much faster.
justo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
justo wrote:
jfinley88 wrote:

Doc (Jennings) plays more so Cap (Burnett) can stay on SS, But in terms of eye test Million (McMillian) has outperformed Doc. Don't even know why they don't stick Million out there more against run heavy offenses. Plus Million is much faster.
That's odd because I see Burnett dropping down more (like a SS) when McMillian is in there. I mean even in the 3 deep safety 2-3 formations McMillian is the deep middle guy.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
justo wrote:
jfinley88 wrote:

That's odd because I see Burnett dropping down more (like a SS) when McMillian is in there. I mean even in the 3 deep safety 2-3 formations McMillian is the deep middle guy.
That is strange, Million was a box guy earlier in the season before I lost track, and a much better tackler than Doc (though he whiffed a few in recent games) I know they were also using Million as a dime CB on occasion. Most of the looks I got were early in the season when the reps were pretty much an equal split for every DB but Cap Tramon and Wood.
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no real issue with how this thing is being played at the safety position. Those two are clearly role players at this stage of their development. Just like the Steelers, Capers will often lean on that extra safety over the extra CB because of all the things you can do with that body type. With all the extra DB looks in todays NFL it's hard not to look at both as starters right now to tell the truth.

Those two could not be much different though. Easy to see this staff has more trust in Jennings right now. But it looks as if McMillian is making up ground quick. You might see the rep count flip next year. But good chance they will both see the field about the same next year unless another body is in the mix.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
I have no real issue with how this thing is being played at the safety position. Those two are clearly role players at this stage of their development. Just like the Steelers, Capers will often lean on that extra safety over the extra CB because of all the things you can do with that body type. With all the extra DB looks in todays NFL it's hard not to look at both as starters right now to tell the truth.

Those two could not be much different though. Easy to see this staff has more trust in Jennings right now. But it looks as if McMillian is making up ground quick. You might see the rep count flip next year. But good chance they will both see the field about the same next year unless another body is in the mix.
You think they will continue this? Let's say Woodson retires or is cut, they still roll with both guys? Also, I have heard that there is a "safety shortage" in the league from a few people. Is there any truth to that?
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we will see Capers use three of them often, YES.

Burnett will be one of the three. The % of reps the others get is up to them and their development. Like I said, good chance you will see the reps flip next year with McMillian and Jennings. Jennings is not going to go down without a fight though. Much better player than I felt he was at the start of the season. Better athlete than he looks on paper because of the IQ. McMillian is the other way around. You can clearly see the pop and straight line speed. But the game is still playing fast for him and some of the paper set is lost because of body stiffness.

Thing could go either way for both of them IMO. Good enough at this stage in their development that one can hope the Packers might have a few "players" on their hands in the near future. They both need to take that next step though. Even though McMillian might look further away right now he might be closer to "getting there" than Jennings. Game just needs to slow down for McMillian for his game to take off and fans to see the value in his style. For Jennings game to take off he needs to tackle better(this can happen) and he needs to start getting his hands on a few more football(something your born with more times than not). This is not to say Jennings can't be a starter. But for fans to view him as a star with that style of play, the ball skills need to come around and that's no easy task.

As for the last Q there. Shortage, no. Shortage of good ones, yes. With rule changes, the game just changed too fast for the position IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through 6 possessions of the Titans game and this is how it looks:
1st 10, 2-4, Jennings deep center, Burnett at LOS on TE
2nd 10, 3-4, Jennings left, Burnett right
3rd 11, 2-4, McMillian at LOS as CB, Jennings right, Burnett left
1st 10, 3-4, Jennings right, Burnett left
2nd 15, 3-4, Jennings left, Burnett right
3rd 25, 2-3, Jennings right, McMillian center, Burnett left (so Walden was lined up against a WR here..)
1st 10 2-4, Jennings right, Burnett left
2nd 10, 2-4, Jennings right, Burnett left (hey they lined up in the same spot as the play before!)
3rd 21, 2-3, Jennings left, McMillian center, Burnett right
1st 10, 2-4, McMillian left, Burnett right
2nd 7, 2-4, McMillian right, Burnett left
1st 10, 3-4, McMillian left, Burnett right
2nd 13, 2-4, Jennings right, Burnett left
3rd 20, 2-3, Jennings left, McMillian center, Burnett right
1st 10, 3-4, Jennings left, Burnett right
2nd 8, 3-4, Jennings right, Burnett left
3rd 7, 2-3, Jennings left, McMillian down as LB, Burnett right
2nd 10, 3-4, Jennings right, Burnett at LOS
3rd 1, 4-4, McMillian at CB, Burnett center
4th 1, 4-4, McMillian center, Burnett at CB

FWIW this was the lineup for the 4-4:
-Williams was on the only WR both times (right, then left on offensive side)
-DL was Daniels-Raji-Pickett-Neal both times
-Hawk was on the strong side (double TE) both times as the ILB
-Clay was on the left side, Walden on the right side both times
-McMillian was the CB the first time on the left with Burnett as the S, they switched when the WR was on the left, Burnett was the CB on the right and McMillian was the S

Williams (WR)-Burnett/McMillian-McMillian/Burnett
Mattews-ILB-ILB-Walden
Daniels-Raji-Pickett-Neal

McMillian is moved around more so far (might be because Jennings is getting more touches at pure S) and Jennings hasn't really done that from what I've seen. They've had McMillian as the solo deep S, lined him in the box, and at CB a couple times already.
justo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Any chance you see Jennings or McMillian taking over Burnett as full time S and him rotating with another player? Nothing I have seen leads me to wonder this, just curious what you think.
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
Any chance you see Jennings or McMillian taking over Burnett as full time S and him rotating with another player? Nothing I have seen leads me to wonder this, just curious what you think.

Not any time soon unless money plays a part. Burnett is a good bit better than both of them right now. I felt Burnett would take that next step and become a star this year. That did not happen but he is still a damn good football player. Burnett might be younger than both of them(not sure and don't have time to look it up). I would be a long ways off on giving up on that talent though! Burnett at grade would go in the 1st round more years than not. That year just had a few elite grades at the position.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
justo wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

Not any time soon unless money plays a part. Burnett is a good bit better than both of them right now. I felt Burnett would take that next step and become a star this year. That did not happen but he is still a damn good football player. Burnett might be younger than both of them(not sure and don't have time to look it up). I would be a long ways off on giving up on that talent though!

Wikipedia wrote:
Melvin Delanie "M.D." Jennings (born July 25, 1988)
Morgan Mark Burnett (born January 13, 1989)
Jerron McMillian (born April 2, 1989)

Close.

Do you think having a rotation (or even not Collins/Peprah) lining up next to him affected his growth at all?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: