Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Random Ravens Thoughts Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 77, 78, 79  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though Cary Williams and Paul Kruger play more important positions, I think Ellerbe is our most important defensive free agent to retain. I know some of you guys weren't convinced with a few nice games he had early in a contract year, and I know the coaches like McClain for some reason, but it's not hard to see how much our defense struggled in the 3 games he missed, and how much better it looked with him there. Now, a lot of that has to do with how little depth we have at ILB, but that's more a reason to retain him.

I would rank the 3 key defensive (first-time) UFAs as:

1. Dannell Ellerbe
2. Paul Kruger
3. Cary Williams
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Even though Cary Williams and Paul Kruger play more important positions, I think Ellerbe is our most important defensive free agent to retain. I know some of you guys weren't convinced with a few nice games he had early in a contract year, and I know the coaches like McClain for some reason, but it's not hard to see how much our defense struggled in the 3 games he missed, and how much better it looked with him there. Now, a lot of that has to do with how little depth we have at ILB, but that's more a reason to retain him.

I would rank the 3 key defensive (first-time) UFAs as:

1. Dannell Ellerbe
2. Paul Kruger
3. Cary Williams

I don't disagree. But Ellerbe IS in a contract year and he IS performing better than he has in the past. I like what he brings to the table, but this is also a really deep class for ILBs. I like what we have in Josh Bynes... honestly, I think he and Arthur Jones have been the guys that have most helped improve our defense the most outside of Suggs returning. He clearly was green 2 games ago, but against Denver our unit was really balling out and playing really well in that 1st half. Insert Ellerbe into the equation and it just got better this past game. Bynes play being as good as it is, will make it tough to bench him and place him into a rotation. But either way- I think its clear that with Lewis returning we should have our 3 best ILBs out there heading into the playoffs.

But back to the post season, Ellerbe is definitely one of those right player, right price guys. I'd like to return him as long as he can be retained for a nice cheap deal... something similar to what McClain got, only he'd actually be well worth it. But if we can't retain him, this draft is stacked with ILB talent that I'd like to pool from. There should still be some talented guys left heading into the 4th/5th round. Michael Mauti is such a beast and should be available late because of durability concerns. And we could grab another backer at some point in the 2nd/3rd as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Ellerbe as well, but when he is your best ILB, you have to address the position. He wont be expensive, so I really don't see him going anywhere. Even if we address ILB in the off-season, hes an excellent player to keep around for depth.

But I think Williams is by far the most critical player to bring back. That or, you have a sign another solid CB from FA. I know this guy gets a lot of hate from Raven fans, and deservedly so, but hes also shown plenty flashes of brilliance. Who knows if we see the same Webb again, and there is no telling if Smith develops in to the player we want.
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks guys. If you were wondering, the reason I asked about him was for a GM Mock draft I'm a part of. Was just curious why he was so low on their depth chart given how well he had performed against us.

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
Can sNa handle himself right now? Between ravens nd Seahawks were over four hours, right?

I've been non-stop smiling since 1:30 PM PST, so that's 7 straight hours of smiling and being in a happy, giggidy mood! My face hurts lol

Not ur face I was worried about... No homo

Oh don't worry there's been a huge party in my pants for those 7 hours as well. Pretty sure the cops were called and everything. It was like 'Project X', but in my pants.

It's not weird. My entire wardrobe was ruined when 4th and 29 happened.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lomas Brown giving us respect!

He'll probably get fired.

Free Ray Rice
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Chip Kelly is in the division. That's interesting. At least for the time being with Cleveland's roster I'm not concerned.

Free Ray Rice
ravens_rool28

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
So Chip Kelly is in the division. That's interesting. At least for the time being with Cleveland's roster I'm not concerned.
I ain't scurred... until, like you said, he gets some talent on that O.

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Muy Oheribble

SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravens_rool28 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I ain't scurred... until, like you said, he gets some talent on that O.

The thought of Chip Kelly running his offense, at that pace, against defenses that have guys that aren't 20 year old college track guys in the best shape of their life REALLY frightens me, not to mention the thought of him running that offense with an NFL QB who can actually throw a football.

Yes, I'm scared.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I think you're really overestimating the defenses in college. The athleticism on a defense in the NFL is a lot better than you would find just about anywhere in the NCAA. Given Cleveland's current personnel I wouldn't be too worried about Kelly running an effective version of his offense any time soon. I'm interested to see what happens and I think an offense running at hyper-speed can work but it's going to take some time to implement.
janky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if its been discussed, but is there any chance we draft Manti Te'o. Maybe do a Falcons/Redskins type of deal and sell out to get a great player. IMO Te'o is easily worth a couple of draft picks. I think he's a once in a generation kind of player and has obvious superstar potential, much like RG3. I'm dreaming but, does Ozzie make a blockbuster like that? Or just too good to be true.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Te'o. But I think he's a tad overrated and I wouldn't move for him.

Free Ray Rice
janky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip Kelly is interesting, but I don't think anything special and it's still the Browns. I don't see him doing anything with that offense, or the franchise really. Maybe in the future with some players, but that's not anytime soon. Harbaugh still runs this division Cool Cool
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say I'm not interested in what impact he'll have in Cleveland, but the history for college head coaches transitioning to the pro level just isn't there for me to be too concerned. That said, he doesn't seem to be one of those control freak types.. And like Seattle his roster is young and likely more willing to here his message.

I think the key will be can he do more than simply run his system, but can he be aggressive enough in his moves to quickly bring in talent and can he develop talent- like Pete Caroll to be effective at coaching at this level. Also important is can he face losing and adversity because there's going to be losses in Cleveland- Caroll was able to keep his teams spirits high after the downs and just keep digging.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayo DB, you don't mind if I use that sig, do you?

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Muy Oheribble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 77, 78, 79  Next
Page 10 of 79

Jump to: