Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Where to go in the first round (far too early I know)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steelers22

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Where to go in the first round (far too early I know) Reply with quote

I just wanted to get a sense of what everybody believes to be our top priority in the draft. Personally, like many on this forum, I would really like to see us get an outside pass rusher in the first round and then fill our needs from there. However, ILB is still a huge need for this team and I would not at all mind grabbing either teo or ogletree in our draft slot either. So here's my top 5 guys I would want to be targeting this year

1) Jarvis Jones/Damontre Mooore/Bjeorn Werner (Ideally I would like to trade up for one of the elite pass rushers this year)

2) Mingo- Seems like a really raw prospect with incredible potential. I think he could be an option for us when we pick

3) Alec Ogletree-MLB is still a huge need for this team. Larry Foote played extremely well this year but I'm doubtful he returns and if he does, I wouldn't expect the same level of play

4) Jonathan Hankins-Need to find a replacement Nose Tackle and this guy seems like a beast but I think the nose tackle position is becoming less and less important as the league continually shifts more and more to an extremely pass heavy league

5) Dee Milliner-Corner isn't particularly a huge need but more turnovers is (although this has a lot to do with our lass of consistent pass rush) but if he falls to us, I think we have to take a look at him. We've lacked a stud corner for quite some time

Safety, WR and RB are all needs for us as well but I think we can find value in the later rounds. My ideal situation is us trading up for a sure fire pass rusher. Harrison will most likely be gone and that will leave a gaping whole in our defense even though Worilds played fairly well in his absence.

props to dawg24

Last edited by Steelers22 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
kysteeler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that with Jones and his spinal issue he could drop some. I would love to get Moore, but I like he'll go top 10.

I'm just having a hard time seeing Mingo as a top 20 pick. I can understand him getting more double teams this year and LSU rotation d-linemen, but I think a top pass rusher should be able to get more than 4 sacks, and the person on the other side of him (Montgomery) should have more than 7 sacks.

I really just hoping that one of the top pass rushers your name on point #1 would fall to us.
Steelers22

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kysteeler wrote:
I think that with Jones and his spinal issue he could drop some. I would love to get Moore, but I like he'll go top 10.

I'm just having a hard time seeing Mingo as a top 20 pick. I can understand him getting more double teams this year and LSU rotation d-linemen, but I think a top pass rusher should be able to get more than 4 sacks, and the person on the other side of him (Montgomery) should have more than 7 sacks.

I really just hoping that one of the top pass rushers your name on point #1 would fall to us.

agreed. So much so that I really think this is the year we should strongly consider moving up in the draft in order to nab one of them

props to dawg24
Dook

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Jarvis Jones, Damontre Moore, and Bjoern Werner in the 1st but no trade ups, if anything we need to move down and get more picks.

Why are you doubtful Foote returns? Why wouldn't he?

ILB Ogletree is a heck of a player but his 4 game suspension is a problem, I think it was for failing drug tests. Using a 1st round pick on a player that may have some off field problems is a risk especially when we can use that pick on another good player who doesn't have off field problems. Besides, we can just give Foote a one year deal.

Why can't we just use a 3rd round pick on an NT and give Casey Hampton a one year contract to give the draft pick a year to develop?

CB Milliner's stock has really risen but his value is being over inflated. He broke up 16 passes, which is exceptional and definately worth a high 1st round pick but he only caught 2 interceptions which is 4th round value. I just don't think he fits an urgent need.

Trading up doesn't mean getting a "sure fire" at any position.
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass rusher. I would trade up for one of the top pass rushers (or Teo) if they were in the region.

I think a pass rush would have the biggest impact on this team of any upgrade.

However, I would also be tempted to trade down and pick up a receiver or safety at a lower slot if the top LBs were out of reach. Wildcard would be to trade down real far and get a tight end.

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
Steelers22

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyJoeYoung wrote:
Pass rusher. I would trade up for one of the top pass rushers (or Teo) if they were in the region.

However, I would also be tempted to trade down and pick up a receiver or safety at a lower slot if the top LBs were out of reach. Wildcard would be to trade down real far and get a tight end.

Dion Jordan is a player that I could see us taking and he really scares me. He seems like such a project and would need at least two years to get himself on the field. Relies on his speed way too often when getting to the QB and doesn't seem to have many pass rush moves. Elite athlete but way too raw. I suppose the same could be said for Mingo but I think Mingos upside is too hard to ignore

props to dawg24

Last edited by Steelers22 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers22 wrote:
MightyJoeYoung wrote:

Dion Jordan is a player that I could see us taking and he really scares me. He seems like such a project and would need at least two years to get himself on the field. Relies on his speed way too often when getting to the QB and doesn't seem to have many pass rush movies. Elite athlete but way too raw. I suppose the same could be said for Mingo but I think Mingos upside is too hard to ignore

You're not wrong , but I think Jordan's ceiling is even higher than Mingo's.

...you have a forum resume?
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
Steelers22 wrote:
MightyJoeYoung wrote:

Dion Jordan is a player that I could see us taking and he really scares me. He seems like such a project and would need at least two years to get himself on the field. Relies on his speed way too often when getting to the QB and doesn't seem to have many pass rush movies. Elite athlete but way too raw. I suppose the same could be said for Mingo but I think Mingos upside is too hard to ignore

I wouldn't trade up for Jordan.

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
Steelers22 wrote:
MightyJoeYoung wrote:

These are probably the two that will be scouted by the Steelers the most. Unless the Steelers want to throw a real curve ball and draft a OT.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of right now I rather not have the Steelers trade up for someone. They have too many holes on the team to give up valuable draft picks. If they were one player that was the missing piece I could see it but for right now I rather have them just sit wherever they are or trade down. Of course a lot will depend on what they do in FA which might change my mind come April.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to trade back. I want Eric Fisher, but we're going to be picking around 14-16 range. I think if we trade back, we can manage a 1st+2nd for our 1st and take Eric Fisher with the first.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm okay with an offensive tackle, depends on what the Steelers think of Mike Adams/Marcus Gilbert. Max Starks have been holding down the fort so far, so it may be somewhat silly to get a left tackle, this early especially with the needs we have.

Here's my position ranking for our needs.

ILB: Chase Thomas, Stanford.

Pass-rushing: Dion Jordan, Oregon.

3-4 defensive end: Jonathan Hankins

Nose tackle: Jesse Williams

Safety: none worth 1st round to be honest.

TE: none in first round but i'd look at Jordan Reed hard in 3rd round.

Problem? None of them are likely to start with an exception of maybe, Jesse Williams and even that's stretching it. ILB position is the most upgradeable position, thing is we ought to trade back for an inside linebacker. Dion Jordan and Jonathan Hankins both have really high ceilings, but they will have to understudy the defense first and it'll mean they might have to replace either 1st round prospects or pro-bowlers. Looking at the trend of Steelers FO, the pick look like Jesse Williams, but i'd be upset even if I really like him.

It is a good year to trade back, but who will be our trading partner?
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Steelers injury situation has brought a lot of uncertainty to this years draft. Is James Harrison finished, what about Troy, Foote, Stark, Mendy, Wallace, Hampton, Kiesel or even Taylor. You really can't get a gauge, because at one point each unit offensively and defensively played great football. There will be some auditions coming in the Browns game. I could see the Steelers using some other players to see where they are good or bad. Which I believe could influence how they draft in April.

There really isn't a must have player in the Steelers range, which makes it hard to pin point what direction they could go. How I see it is that I'd give up extra picks to get a D. Moore or Star Lotuelei as either of those would start immediately. But since the Steelers don't have a out right need they could afford to be a little more aggressive. If Moore or Stars predecessor was let go in the off season.

Unless the Steelers get lucky and Joeckel, Te'o or Werner drop the Steelers should really think of trading down. Dion Jordan is intriguing because he has a very high ceiling. But I think he'll be another Timmons and get bashed every year because the players fans wanted wasn't taken.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW: John Jenkins ruled academically ineligible for Bowl game against Nebraska. Does it change anyones opinion on him.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
I'd like to trade back. I want Eric Fisher, but we're going to be picking around 14-16 range. I think if we trade back, we can manage a 1st+2nd for our 1st and take Eric Fisher with the first.
We have used two 2nd round picks on offensive tackles and two 1st round picks on interior linemen in the past 3 years. Unless the value is rediculous I can't imagine using another first round pick on an Olinemen. We need to see what these top picks can do when they are playing together with some experience before we give up on them.

^Props to jgutowski24 on the Sweet Wiz Style Sig^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: