Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Impact Defenders: Who Ya Got?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Impact Defenders: Who Ya Got? Reply with quote

The Saints will have a top 20 pick… Below are the top 20 impact defenders available, who ya got us taking?

If other… who?

Defensive End
1. Demontre Moore, Texas A&M
2. Bjoern Werner, Florida State
3. Ezekiel Ansah, BYU
4. Sam Montgomery, Louisiana State
5. Dion Jordan, Oregon

Denfensive Tackle
1. Star Lotulelei, Utah
2. Sheldon Richardson, Missouri
3. Jonathan Hankins, Ohio State
4. Jonathan Jenkins, Georgia
5. Jesse Williams, Alabama

Linebacker
1. Jarvis Jones, Georgia
2. Manti Te’o, Notre Dame
3. CJ Mosley, Alabama (If he changes his mind and declares)
4. Barkevious Mingo, Louisiana State (His best NFL position)
5. Anthony Barr, UCLA

Defensive Back
1. Dee Milliner, Alabama
2. Matt Elam, Florida
3. Bradley Roby, Ohio State (If he comes out)
4. Jonathan Banks, Mississippi State
5. Eric Reid, Louisiana State

Merry Christmas to all & to all aWHODAT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezekiel Ansah is the guy I want the most. Werner and Moore will be gone by the time we pick, so after those two, I want Ansah the most. I love his make up. Great build (6'6 270 lbs), great hands, elite athleticism. The biggest issue with him is that he is raw. Really raw. But from the tape I've seen, he doesn't play like it alot of the times. His hand usage among other tools are quite instinctive. I think giving him Spags to mold and develop would be a good bet for us.

Mock: (going off Walterfootballs round projections):
Round 1: DE Ezekiel Ansah
Round 2: OT Oday Aboushi
Round 3: S TJ McDonald
Round 4: NT Kwame Geathers
Round 5: OLB Cameron Lawrence

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it... Ansah is a monster and a rare physical FREAK!!! The sad thing is though it seems his draft stock is soaring right now and he could very well be a top 10 pick. Its not all bed though... When one prospect rises, another falls! Wink

Ansah would give this defensive exactly what it lacks tho!

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually torn between Ansah and Sheldon Richardson.

Ansah has the physical skill set to be the freak nasty pass rusher we need but he is extremly raw while Richardson is to the DT position now what Ansah could be to the DE position. Richardson is a absolute MONSTER on the interior who also kicks out to DE at times. He's so explosive and disruptive and the fact that he stood out so much on such a bad Missouri team says alot about him. I have my doubts about drafting another 1st round DT but Richardson is quickley changing my mind on that stance.

For me it's a toss up right now between Ansah and Richardson but if I had to make the call today... I'd go Sheldon Richardson.

Here’s an offseason I’d be satisfied with:

Note: I feel the Saints should really peruse Baltimore cornerback Cary Williams and Bucs DE Michael Bennett in free agency.

Free Agent Pickups:
1. CB: Cary Williams, Baltimore Ravens
2. DE: Michael Bennett, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
3. DT: Anthony Hargrove, No current team

Mock Draft:
1. DT: Sheldon Richardson, Missouri
Richardson would give the Saints a disruptive interior playmaker to pair with 2nd year NT Akiem Hicks. The two would form a fearsome duo and allow Bunkley to become more of a rotational player.

3. LB: Sean Porter, Texas A&M
The SAM linebacker position is an issue in New Orleans; Hawthorne played out of position there and is likely to be moved back to the WILL in 2013. The Saints seem content in keeping Martez Wilson at DE so adding Porter would give the Saints a physical presence at the position who is big enough and possesses good coverage skills to cover the NFL new breed TE’s as well as doubling as a solid sideline to sideline run defender and better than average pass rusher off the edge.

4. DE: Quanterus Smith, Western Kentucky
Smith was one of NCAA’s leading sack masters till he suffered a season ending knee injury. In the first game of the season he destroyed Alabama tackle DJ Fluker enroute to a 3 sack performance and if healthy would give the Saints a big time pass rusher with length and versatility to add to the rotation behind Jordan.

5. CB: Tyrann Mathieu, Louisiana State
Mathieu is a head case but he’s also a ball hawking playmaking machine. His draft stock is all over right now and I wouldn’t touch him before the 5th round but if he’s available here the Saints should take a chance because the reward would far outweigh the risk.

6. LB: Zavior Gooden, Missouri
Gooden is an athletic stud but just hasn’t translated his physical skill set to the football field… yet. He would be the perfect prospect to groom behind Hawthorne at the WILL linebacker position and if anything else would be one of the top special team players on the roster.

Saints 2013 Defensive Depth Chart
RDE: Bennett, Gallette, Wilson
NT: Hicks, Bunkley
DT: Richardson, Johnson, Hargrove
LDE: Jordan, Smith
SLB: Porter, Chamberlin
MLB: Lofton, Casillas
WLB: Hawthorne, Gooden
LCB: Williams, White, Patrick
FS: Jenkins, Quddus
SS: Harper, Bush
RCB: Robinson, Greer, Mathieu

Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind, but a couple of changes I'd make:

1.) Instead of Bennett I'd try for Avril. Avril is a legit pass rusher, and we need more pass rushing presence than anything.

2.) Mathieu needs to go to another state and have a fresh start. If he stays here, he'll be around the same sort of people and fall into the same traps.

3.) I'd sign OLB Daryl Smith of the Jaguars. With them picking Jarvis Jones most likely, Smith would really round out our LB corps nicely.

4.) Draft a S in the 2nd instead of a LB due to us picking up Smith.

DE: Avril
DT: Richardson
DT: Hicks
DE: Jordan

OLB: Hawthorne
MLB: Lofton
OLB: Smith

CB: Williams
CB: Greer
FS: Jenkins/Newly drafted FS/SS
SS: Harper/Newly drafted FS/SS

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we could afford it... i'd take it!

I really like Quddus tho, gotta keep that guy involved!

I chose Bennett because he's an underrated pass rusher/solid run defender and a Anvondale, LA native and may take a tad less to come back home. Where Avril will be the highest paid DE in FA followed by Cincinnati's Mickel Johnson. Also it dosent hurt that we'd be taking a good player from a divisional rival. Wink

jcvoodoo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Worm here... big suprise I know Wink

Key is to watch/project our cap for the next few years, starting with this year. We need to trim the fat. What do I mean? Simply restructure or get rid of the underperforming players.

I'd chose Bennett over Avril, money being the primary reason... also paired with Hicks would leave alot of one-on-one oppurtunities for the DE's. I'd also take the chance with the Honey Badger but I think he'd be a 6th rounder.

I'd love to see us pick up an OLine stud to replace the riff raff we have now. I think if you work out the issues with the OLine coupled with a more balanced attack (i.e. run Ingram more) you become more explosive and get back to a legit SB contender. I'd also test the trade maket with Ivory.

Of course, the lack of Sean Payton shows in all facets of our game too. He's the number 1 priority...period...point blank!

^NS922 on the sig^
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcvoodoo wrote:
I have to agree with Worm here... big suprise I know Wink

Key is to watch/project our cap for the next few years, starting with this year. We need to trim the fat. What do I mean? Simply restructure or get rid of the underperforming players.

I'd chose Bennett over Avril, money being the primary reason... also paired with Hicks would leave alot of one-on-one oppurtunities for the DE's. I'd also take the chance with the Honey Badger but I think he'd be a 6th rounder.

I'd love to see us pick up an OLine stud to replace the riff raff we have now. I think if you work out the issues with the OLine coupled with a more balanced attack (i.e. run Ingram more) you become more explosive and get back to a legit SB contender. I'd also test the trade maket with Ivory.

Of course, the lack of Sean Payton shows in all facets of our game too. He's the number 1 priority...period...point blank!

I tell ya... Bennett really dosen't get the credit he deserves. He's a very good pass rusher whos also a solid run defender. He's got great size for the position at 6'4" 275lbs nad he's a hometown boy to boot. Also we weaken a divisional rival in the process. Will Smith simply isn't the player he once was and needs to go but if you remember the player Smith was when he was younger... thats exactly what Bennett's game reminds me of. I truly feel under Spagnuolo, Bennett could be a major get for us in 2013.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: