Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Slant route.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THE BIG CHEEZE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: The Slant route. Reply with quote

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-BryanBroaddusBlog/Upon-Further-Review-3rd-Down-Struggles-Cleaning-Up-the-Slant/f38363aa-2830-4ca8-a5e1-ac7ef1c7b70c

I swear this almost exactly was on my mind since week one. "Why isn't Romo throwing Dez the slant?" I've been a super Dez fan since college and now that he is a Cowboy it's even better...but he needs to learn to go hard on that slant route. I feel as if Miles' hamstring has hurt his slant skills, so Dez must step up. That little route could make him a hall of famer IMO. He hope Jason makes him run it in practice all week until he throws up. He studder steps just a second too long which puts the ball just out of reach and makes the ball open for a pick. I also think he is in store for a costly fumble just like Demarco did the last two weeks. He's holding the ball Like sweetness these days and it scares me. Just some thoughts.
Tony7188

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Dez and Romo can get better with that slant route, I don't see how teams can single cover him. It could be our bread and butter play with Dez having a chance to break one everytime.

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
Cowboys31

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romo isn't much of a slant thrower IMO. I always gasp when I see him throw a slant.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He started out the year using the slant to ogletree a bunch, but that went away after tree bungled one into a red zone pick.

Hoping Dez finishes adding it to his repertoire as he should be just as unstoppable as Irvin was with hella more YAC capability.
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't use it much because they suck at it right now. If Dez had run through the route instead of stopping on 3rd down in overtime that probably would have been a completion.

The problem is Dez is never sure where the ball is going to be. Sometime Romo gets cute and and tries to stop him by throwing the ball to his back shoulder. Bottom line is that stuff is worked out in practice, after practice, during the offseason and any other time they can get together and throw and catch. Like MIrvin would say...If Troy is throwing, I'm catching.

Sig Courtesy of thesickness89
atran35

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony doesn't trust anyone other than Miles with that slant route. Olgetree boobles it while Dez stop dead run. Roy Williams should have been excellent with slant routes but drops killed his production. Overall...we don't have any1 good with slants other than Miles. Dez needs to improve and hopefully Harris can start running that route also.
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atran35 wrote:
Tony doesn't trust anyone other than Miles with that slant route. Olgetree boobles it while Dez stop dead run. Roy Williams should have been excellent with slant routes but drops killed his production. Overall...we don't have any1 good with slants other than Miles. Dez needs to improve and hopefully Harris can start running that route also.

What he said. On the last play against the Saints, Romo threw the slant to Dez, and he gave up on it. He needs to learn to run through it and make a play on the ball. When he does that, it will open up the Slant and go, and it will be our go-to route

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broaddus seems to be saying its 50-50 romo and Dez on this. That the pair still has some chemistry to develop.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: