Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

State of the Rams - Offense
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, your are a bit more optimistic about the Rams offense then I. At times during recent games I recall thinking that we might have the worst offense in the league. At times we do an ok job of moving the ball. We certainly need more playmakers and improved line play.

In addition, as others have mentioned, we really need to get Sam a good receiving TE this offseason. I don't think the draft is where we should look however, as there will be several very quality TE's that may hit the free agency market (Cook, Keller, Finley, Bennett to name a few). Any of those would give Sam a very reliable safety valve over the middle and would allow us to play out of a 2 TE set more often. I do like Kendricks, but really want to see a better receiving threat brought in.
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halradio wrote:
A couple of things to consider with Gibson:

One he has gotten better every year he has been in this league.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12567/brandon-gibson

What have been the Rams calling card over the years? Not holding on to players long enough to let them develop.

Two - this offense is run centric. Which means we don't need a Calvin Johnson or an Andre Johnson to take over the game. We need blue color WRs that can get downfield and catch the ball when the opposing D stacks 8 in the box.

46 Catches for 634 yards with a 13.3 Yard avg and 5 TDs (including a couple of highlight reel grabs) isn't spectacular, but certainly servicable.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/12567/brandon-gibson

This is Gibson's 4th year...3rd year as a starter...he's had time to develop. Those aren't serviceable #s for a #1. Those are serviceable #1s for a #2. I would have no problem if Gibson is retained but he's not a #1 WR. As a #3 or #4 WR, I have no doubts he'd do well in that role. But he's not a match-up buster, he can't consistently beat man coverage and he doesn't scare DCs. I would be fine with him not scaring DCs if he was getting results...but he's not.

I want a guy who can impose his will. Not strike when he's given an opening every once in awhile.

StLunatic88 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Gibson is not a serviceable #1 at all. And Daryl Richardson should be starting over SJ right now. Still think they should do a time-share but Richardson should get more carries.(15-10 split or so)\
What are your thoughts on Ganaway?

I get this feeling that they really like him. They wouldnt have went and gotten a 4th RB off someones practice squad while the other 3 were healthy all year and keep him on the 53 man all year, just as a guy.

He has a skill set that every team likes to have, the big bruiser that everyone likes to have in their back pocket. I would actually not feel bad if next years RB stable was just Daryl Richardson, Isaiah Pead, and Terrance Ganaway. He could be a valuable Brandon Jacobs/Michael Bush type.

Haven't seen him play on Sunday. Can't count on him being anything until he shows something.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Halradio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I am looking at. This offense is designed around the run game versus the pass.

Therefore, IMO getting the mess that is the interior offensive line fixed and figuring out who is going to replace SJAX before his wheels fall off is more important.

Under Jeff Fisher we will not be going back to the GSOT days. Its a grind it out offense with play action passes and the occcasional shot down the field.

Yes there have been times I have wondered if the Rams forgot to pack their offense for game days. However, there have also been a lot of positive flashes - like those game winning drives against the Bills and 49ers.

I think another full off-season in this offense will pay dividends for the WR we already have.
iRaMs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halradio wrote:

What have been the Rams calling card over the years? Not holding on to players long enough to let them develop.

Two - this offense is run centric. Which means we don't need a Calvin Johnson or an Andre Johnson to take over the game. We need blue color WRs that can get downfield and catch the ball when the opposing D stacks 8 in the box.

46 Catches for 634 yards with a 13.3 Yard avg and 5 TDs (including a couple of highlight reel grabs) isn't spectacular, but certainly servicable.

No, Brandon Gibson is showing up because it is close to the end of the year. That is it, the dude dissappears for like half the season then has a few games where he does good and everyone is back to thinking he is a #1. This is such a joke man. Not trying to be rude to you, I'm just tired of hearing how Brandon Gibson is our #1 of the future.

El ramster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iRaMs wrote:
Halradio wrote:

No, Brandon Gibson is showing up because it is close to the end of the year. That is it, the dude dissappears for like half the season then has a few games where he does good and everyone is back to thinking he is a #1. This is such a joke man. Not trying to be rude to you, I'm just tired of hearing how Brandon Gibson is our #1 of the future.

Word.. Gibby isn't starting material, The dude mind bangs himself and gives us false hope..

BBL
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halradio wrote:
Here is what I am looking at. This offense is designed around the run game versus the pass.

Therefore, IMO getting the mess that is the interior offensive line fixed and figuring out who is going to replace SJAX before his wheels fall off is more important.

Under Jeff Fisher we will not be going back to the GSOT days. Its a grind it out offense with play action passes and the occcasional shot down the field.

Yes there have been times I have wondered if the Rams forgot to pack their offense for game days. However, there have also been a lot of positive flashes - like those game winning drives against the Bills and 49ers.

I think another full off-season in this offense will pay dividends for the WR we already have.

Way I see it is that we can get the OL figured out while simultaneously addressing the WR position.

The HB position is less of a priority with Richardson's emergence.

Last edited by jrry32 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
ajhicks11

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
iRaMs wrote:
Halradio wrote:

Word.. Gibby isn't starting material, The dude mind bangs himself and gives us false hope..

NOT SAYING I THINK GIBSON IS THE FUTURE

But I am wondering what you guys think the effect of having a good wide receivers coach is having on him. He really has been playing consistently for what seems 2-3 weeks now. While it still isn't amazing play, he is playing consistent and catching the ball consistently. What do you guys think?
Wr80

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajhicks11 wrote:
El ramster wrote:
iRaMs wrote:
Halradio wrote:

But I am wondering what you guys think the effect of having a good wide receivers coach is having on him. He really has been playing consistently for what seems 2-3 weeks now. While it still isn't amazing play, he is playing consistent and catching the ball consistently. What do you guys think?

He is the most frustrating player on this team, along with Bradford. He can have these weeks where he is just amazing like a true top Wr we need and then next week blow donkey -. If he gets a coach and starts consistently playing well I want him to stay here and he could be the #1 we need. If not, cut the loses.
iRaMs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajhicks11 wrote:
El ramster wrote:
iRaMs wrote:
Halradio wrote:

Nothing spectacular, he did this last season as well. Its what he does so he can keep a paycheck.

Halradio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks may disagree with me, but I expect little to no change to the WR corp.

They have two rookies in Givens and Quick who are coming along - especially Givens who will almost certainly push for a starting job next year.

Unless Danny pushes for Welker money he will be back. Pettis has been serviceable. Then there is Gibson who has accounted for a quarter of the Rams receiving touchdowns.

Unless you are drafting a Calvin Johnson rookie WRs rarely have a huge impact their first season. As for FAs - looking at the big names from this past offseason really only Vincent Jackson had a big impact. Did anybody hear anything from Meachem and Eddie Royal? Me neither.
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halradio wrote:
Folks may disagree with me, but I expect little to no change to the WR corp.

They have two rookies in Givens and Quick who are coming along - especially Givens who will almost certainly push for a starting job next year.

Unless Danny pushes for Welker money he will be back. Pettis has been serviceable. Then there is Gibson who has accounted for a quarter of the Rams receiving touchdowns.

Unless you are drafting a Calvin Johnson rookie WRs rarely have a huge impact their first season. As for FAs - looking at the big names from this past offseason really only Vincent Jackson had a big impact. Did anybody hear anything from Meachem and Eddie Royal? Me neither.

Actually, Calvin's impact as a rookie wasn't that great. There have been others that made bigger impacts.

Regardless, the draft isn't for the 2013 season. It's for the 2013 to 2020 season. You aren't drafting with the idea of will this guy be a great WR in 2013...you're drafting with the idea of will this guy be a great WR period...

But rookie WRs...especially talented ones...can make an impact. Even 800 to 900 yards and 6 to 7 TDs would be fine to get out of a rookie.

As for free agent WRs, Jackson, Colston, Wayne and Brandon Lloyd all had impacts this year for their respective teams.

We need an upgrade. Seeing our WRs unable to get consistent separation week after week is getting old. Givens will improve. No idea what Quick will offer. We need another threat on the outside.

I'd go after one in the draft, there are plenty of options.

Halradio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO before we start talking about upgrades to WR we need to discuss upgrading the o-line.

It's hard to generate any kind of offense when your RB gets stonewalled and the QB is running or his life.
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halradio wrote:
IMO before we start talking about upgrades to WR we need to discuss upgrading the o-line.

It's hard to generate any kind of offense when your RB gets stonewalled and the QB is running or his life.

I think it goes hand in hand.

MidSouthRam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, Steven Jackson has been a very good back for the St. Louis Rams. But, the time has come for him to go. He's simply leaving too many yards on the field, IMO.

Brandon Gibson? He is what he is and that's merely a solid WR that Bradford trusts more than most of the others currently on the team. Whenever I hear or read of opposing teams gameplanning to stop him or see him beat some of the better CBs in the league, then and only then will I consider him a #1 WR. He's 4th/Dane Looker in a good offense. (Amendola is 3rd/Ricky Proehl, btw)

IMO, the Rams need two more WRs. A legit veteran starter and another backup speed threat besides Givens.

OLine? Everyone already knows that LG and RT have to be addressed. The Rams can still win with stopgap talent there, but .........

TE? Many are sold on this idea of bringing in a receiving TE and using a high draft choice to do so and I disagree. What the Rams really need is a better blocking base TE who can also be a receiving threat. A complete TE to TEAM with Kendricks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: