Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5 Saints defenders who deserve a chance to start in 2013:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: 5 Saints defenders who deserve a chance to start in 2013: Reply with quote

Wanted to take a moment to give props to a few players I feel deserve their chance in 2013…

Isa Abdul-Quddus
Steve Spagnuolo seems to have an affinity for Malcolm Jenkins so it’s fairly safe to assume that he will be the starting FS in 2013 but Quddus has earned the right to get the nod over Roman Harper at the SS spot. Quddus is a big physical playmaker on the back end that can play either safety position and would give the Saints more coverage skill and playmaking ability on the back end if they elect to go with him instead of Harper as Jenkins 2013 running mate.

Tom Johnson
Tom Johnson is a disruptive force on the inside who is a solid run defender as well as an interior pass rusher but for one reason or another simply has not gotten a fair shot in the Big Easy yet. Clearly the Saints have been trying to give former 1st round bust Sedrick Ellis every opportunity to succeed this season but it’s clear that Johnson is far and away the better player and in 2013 he should finally be given his opportunity to show what he can do in a starting role for the Saints.

Martez Wilson
All I keep hearing is how in this offseason the Saints need to find Will Smith’s replacement in the 2013 NFL draft. What if I were to say that he’s already on the Saints roster? Martez Wilson is a superior athlete and although he’s still raw to the position he possesses tremendous potential as an edge pass rusher. Wilson will need to take this offseason to dedicate himself to his new position by preparing his body (adding about 10lbs) and honing his craft and if he does there is no reason to not to believe that this athletic freak cannot become the nasty pass rusher we all covet in 2013.

Corey White
First let me say that I like Jabari Greer but Corey White was really coming on before his injury late this season. White possesses the physical presence Spagnuolo covets on the edge and he was starting to make a name for himself as a playmaker on the back end for us. Paring White with Patrick Robinson as the long-term starting corners for the Saints would be a wise decision for this franchise in 2013.

Akiem Hicks
The Saints are simply a better defensive unit when Hicks is in the game, PERIOD! Hicks is best suited to play the nose in Spagnuolo’s scheme and he is a much more complete player than the much more expensive Broderick Bunkley is. Money should not factor into these decisions any longer and we shouldn’t have another “Sedrick Ellis/Tom Johnson” situation here in 2013 between Bunkley and Hicks. The Saints need to turn to Hicks as the centerpiece of their defensive front in 2013 and never look back.

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o

Last edited by whodatworm23 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunkley > Johnson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
Bunkley > Johnson

Honestly TD I'm not sold on that yet, The problem with Bunkley to me is this... when the Saints signed him to his big pay day they dident know at the time they would land Hicks in the draft. Hicks skill set and size is clearly a better fit at NT in this scheme where Bunkley currently is.

Then the question becomes... does Bunkley start over Johnson at DT?

I say no because although Bunkley is stout against the run he dosent offer much else. Johnson on the other hand is far more disruptive on the inside than Bunkley. I'm sure that Spaguolo will rotate them accordingly due to situational football and as a 3 headed monster they all will form a fairly good combination of talent but one things for sure... we need Ellis out of the way!

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me pose this question to ya'll...

At what point does this offseason simply become about cutting payroll?

I mean... 16 million over budget not including our LT coming off the books with a bunch of back loaded contracts on aging veterans.

I think at some point we all need to accept that maybe the next few years will be a bit of a rebuilding/cost cutting mode. I can honestly see Ellis & Henderson not retained. Vilma, Smith & Strief released. Evans, Bunkley, Moore & Thomas restructured. Harper, Greer & Ivory traded.

I honestly don't know whats in store for us this offseason but one thing is for sure, it will be a busy one.

jcvoodoo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking forward to it!!

^NS922 on the sig^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: