Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens 2012 Rookie grades

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benmir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Ravens 2012 Rookie grades Reply with quote

So after 14 games, most of them tough to watch, we can grade the performances of the rookies! Some looked good, some looked bad, and some we never saw.

Round 2: Courtney Upshaw, OLB
Grade:B
He's amazing in run support and, according to PFF, is the 2nd 3-4 OLB in the league in this section. He's made a habit of abusing other teams' tight ends. Offers little to non in pass rusher and needs to improve on that, maybe by losing weight, or what I prefer moving to DE (if we stay 34).
I did notice that lately he's playing lazy, not hustling and not joining gang tackles.

Round 2: Kelechi Osemele, OT\OG
Grade: B+
Although he was drafted to play LG, Osemele played and started all 14 games at RT and I don't think the coaches plan on moving him. Amazing in run support and often draws praises for that, he's a suspect in pass protection, especially against speed rushers.
I expect him to be better next season, maybe by moving to LG and maybe by working on his footwork.

Round 3: Bernard Pierce, HB
Grade: A-
TBH I HATED this pick and boy was I wrong. He may not be the amazing bruiser back for short yardage we thought he is, but he's running with an attitude and plays hard EVERY play. Rarely will you see him taken down without a fight, and it seems like he REALLY loves jumping over guys. Heck, we should become a run first team. Pierce + Rice + Leach = sad defenses.

Round 4: Gino Gradkowski, OG\C
Grade: Unavailable
Supposed to be the heir of Birk. Haven't seen him on the field, I don't even think he played when we put in the subs in the blowouts.

Round 4: Christian Thompson, FS
Grade: F
Played mostly on special teams, IRed now. The only thing I remember about him is getting a personal penalty that really made me angry.

Round 5: Asa Jackson, CB
Played only 3 games, special teamer. I do remember Ed praising him, so that's something, right?

Round 6: Tommy Streeter, WR
6'5, 4.37(~) 40 yard dash. I was so happy we got him, and then, after a pretty boring preseason, IRed.
He's probably the player I'm most excited to see next season.

Round 7: De'Angelo Tyson
Grade:B
7th round but started seeing playing time due to injuries to defensive linemen. Not amazing, but he's been solid and although he hasn't done it since the Raiders game, we know he can swat the ball. I also saw him get pressure occasionally, so for a 7th rounder he's a decent pickup.

Your thoughts and grades?
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upshaw playing DE in a 3-4 scheme? Hell no. Not even close. He's primarily a 3-4 SAM LB in that scheme and he would be so far out of position playing DE/5-technique full-time that it would just be embarrassing to have him out on the field.

I agree with the grades though. Well, except for Thompson. Until we see him actually play safety I would give him an incomplete too.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd bump Upshaw up to B/B+. Osemele down to C+/B-. Osemele has downright looked like a liability at times in pass pro.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upshaw: B
Osemele: C+
Pierce: A-
Gradkowski: N/A
Thompson: N/A
Jackson: N/A
Streeter: N/A
Tyson: C-

I mean no one has really "stood out" on this team as a rookie, so it's hard to really grade them. Pierce looks REALLY good for the limited carries he's getting and with the horrible run scheme we employ.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

I mean no one has really "stood out" on this team as a rookie, so it's hard to really grade them. Pierce looks REALLY good for the limited carries he's getting and with the horrible run scheme we employ.

There has to be some concept of relativity here. Second round picks are generally less successful than people perceive them to be, and I think Osemele definitely deserves something in the B range. Tyson isn't a C- for any kind of rookie, let alone a 7th rounder. He's done a nice job this year.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

There has to be some concept of relativity here. Second round picks are generally less successful than people perceive them to be, and I think Osemele definitely deserves something in the B range. Tyson isn't a C- for any kind of rookie, let alone a 7th rounder. He's done a nice job this year.

I'm grading them based on their performance, not where they were drafted. I could care less if he was a 1st rounder or a 7th rounder, he's still played "average to slightly above average" this year (talking about Osemele).

As for Tyson, he's only played like 3 games that I've noticed this year and the only game he had an impact in was the one he started for Ngata (can't remember which game that was).

diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

I'm grading them based on their performance, not where they were drafted. I could care less if he was a 1st rounder or a 7th rounder, he's still played "average to slightly above average" this year (talking about Osemele).

As for Tyson, he's only played like 3 games that I've noticed this year and the only game he had an impact in was the one he started for Ngata (can't remember which game that was).

Yes, but the key word that you used was that he had an impact. Tyson has been key in improving our run defense. Before we put him out there, our defenders were playing out of position consistently. He was inserted into the lineup and did a great job playing his responsibilities and keeping our LBers clean. His impact than trickled back upwards to players like Arthur Jones and Kemo. But make no mistake, Tyson has done a good job. Factor in his true draft grade after 3 seasons, but as a "rookie" there has to be an element of a guy getting less opportunity. When Tyson has played, he's played well and above expectations. I'd definitely give him a C+/B-.

I also agree with those giving Osemele a listed B... I mean he's not been great in pass protection, but he's probably been just as big to our running game as Marshal Yanda... and maybe even a little more. That's allowed us to be VERY good running the football to the right side.

I agree with the consensus on Upshaw.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, these guys are to be graded on their performance coupled with their draft position, expectations, and overall situations that they were put into. They should not be graded just solely off performance in comparison to good or even great veteran players (as SNA seemed to do, which is ridiculous. C- for a guy like Tyson is just stupid because the guy was one of the last picks of the draft. A team is happy to get damn near anything out of those type of guys, and Tyson ended up being a solid rotational player on the line. That as a 7th rounder gives him a high grade. It's a different story if we got Tyson's production from a top 10 pick. But all things have to be considered in these grades).

With that said, here are mine (I agree almost completely with the OP)

Courtney Upshaw: B

He's been about what we hoped for. I think most of us knew he wasn't going to come in and give a huge boost to the pass rush, because that's not his game. He did exactly what he was drafted to do thus far, which is take on the responsibilities that Jarret Johnson had. That's the type of player that he'll turn into if all works out, and so far, that looks like the path he's on. Solid B for Upshaw.

Kelechi Osemele: B+

Has he struggled somewhat at times in pass protection? Sure, but overall I don't know how you can be upset with how he's performed given the circumstances. This is a guy who is ideally a guard, and because of Harbaugh's ego getting in the way of playing McKinnie, Osemele was thrust into RT, and he's easily been our 2nd best lineman behind Yanda. As a late 2nd round pick, he started from day 1, and has been pretty damn solid IMO.

Bernard Pierce: A-

Really a nice complement to Rice. Love how he takes the carry, makes one cut, and hits the hole. Runs hard, has good vision. We've always had solid backup RB's, even back to the Priest Holmes days, and Pierce may be as good as any of them outside of Holmes.

DeAngelo Tyson: B

Looks like a really solid rotational lineman, and in our scheme, that type of player has proven to be important. As a late 7th rounder I don't know what else you could have hoped for.

Gradkowksi, Thompson, Jackson, and Streeter are all obviously incompletes. But honestly I think Gradkowski is really the only one that has a legitimate chance to be a big contributor. I know Jackson was suspended and idk if Thompson actually had an injury or was just IR'ed. Regardless, I think we would have seen these guys play at some point given the injuries we've had in the secondary. If they couldn't sniff the field this year then I'm not sure what their futures are. We'll see but I've got a feeling they're just going to be guys to fill out the roster. With Streeter we've got that dynamite athlete WR with all the potential in the world, but we've had a bunch of guys exactly like him that didn't pan out. I've got a feeling he's just that Justin Harper PS type of guy that won't ever really play.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why a C- for a guy who's a 7th round 3rd string DE who has started one game and didn't do anything special besides not screw up is somehow absolutely ridiculous...

Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever Courtney Upshaw's grade, bump it up a whole point just for his one-handed takedown of David Wilson.

That was a ridiculous display of manliness.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
Whatever Courtney Upshaw's grade, bump it up a whole point just for his one-handed takedown of David Wilson.

That was a ridiculous display of manliness.

Yes it was. Same with Osemele. Straight up owned JPP and Osi today!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: