Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5 reasons Sean Payton would be foolish to leave NOLA:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: 5 reasons Sean Payton would be foolish to leave NOLA: Reply with quote

1. Tom Benson:
In todayís NFL owners like Tom Benson are a dying breed. Itís not that often you find an owner of a professional sports franchise that is willing to hand you over the keys to their organization and step away from all football personal decisions. Also, while that is extremely difficult to find Benson also doubles as an owner that is willing to spend money in order to field a competitive football team instead of only looking at the bottom line like some owners do. Tom Benson is on record of saying that heís willing to pay Payton top dollar to keep him onboard so money isnít an issue. Therefore if Payton was to leave it will likely be because of his personal choice to either be closer to his family or for a fresh beginning but either way heíll be hard pressed to find a more willing and loyal owner such as the one heíd be leaving behind.

2. Mickey Loomis:
Outside of ownership, the relationship between the General Manager & the Head Coach is the second most important issue of any NFL franchise. In New Orleans Sean Payton has developed a great relationship with Saints GM Mickey Loomis. A lot is made of the bond between Payton and Brees but the bond between Payton and Loomis should never be undervalued to this organization. In Loomis, Payton has a close friend that he trust but also a GM who is more of a numbers and cap guy which allows Payton to basically make majority of the final personal decisions when it comes down to talent evaluation. Much like Paytonís mentor Bill Parcells once said, ďIf they want you to cook the meal. They ought to let you shop for some of the groceriesĒ. Well in New Orleans, under Mickey Loomis, Sean Payton has a GM that allows him to do ALL the shopping as long as he stays within budget and thatís an aspect of this organization that Payton would be hard pressed to find elsewhere.

3. Drew Brees:
This is a quarterback driven league and if you donít have an elite one, youíre constantly in search of one. Drew Brees is clearly one of the elite NFL quarterbacks in this game and is an extension of Sean Payton on the football field. While Payton could land a high profile gig elsewhere, heíd be under enormous pressure to produce a Superbowl Championship while coaching a much less talented player at the quarterback position than what he has in New Orleans. Unless Payton is able to convince either Bill Belicheck, Mike McCarthy or Jon Fox to step down from their current positions heíd be smart to stay right where he is and continue to fill the trophy case that he and Drew Brees built in NOLA together.

4. Steve Spagnuolo:
3 months ago I never thought Iíd write this but Steve Spagnuolo is a major reason that leaving NOLA would be a terrible move for Payton. The word is that Payton understood that there was going to be a major transition period switching from Greg Williams all out blitzing and undisciplined scheme to Spags ultra disciplined front 7 pressure forced press zone coverage scheme. With Spagnuolo looking like he finally has the Saints defense heading in the right direction, Payton could actually be passing on perhaps the best defensive unit heís had since heís been in the Crescent city if he decides to not return in 2013. Spags gives Payton everything he wanted from Williams but couldnít get. Spags is a top notch defensive coordinator who will field him a competitive defense to pair with his high octane offense but heíll do it Paytonís way. Spags is a man of great faith, he's a close personal friend of Payton. Their relationship would seem to be much more non confrontational than the one he previously had to endure. Passing on the opportunity to chase a championship with Spags by his side would seem to be a huge mistake if that is in fact what Payton decides to do.

5. The players, fans and all who supported him during his suspension:
Look, I know this sound silly for a coach to be so loyal to a city where he was not born or raised but this community, this fan base and these players have supported Payton every step of the way when a lot of other fan bases might have turned on him and blamed him for what happened instead of taking up his fight with him. The Saints fans were his voice during a time he couldnít speak for himself. Our owner and organization showed unbelievable support for the man when many in the national media were calling for his head. Itís easy for some now in hindsight to support him and turn on the NFL and Rodger Goodell but the whodatnation was in his corner from jump street. Now that we stood up for him and were there for him in his time of need, what kind of character would he be showing if he was to turn his back on us in our time of need. Yes I understand what this man has done for this organization and I totally get the pull of oneís family commitment but in the end it would still seem be just a bit of a stab in the back if it were to go down that way and during the time Payton has been a part of this organization I just never got the feeling he was built that way, he always seemed to me to be a man of integrity but when money and family is involved it sometimes testís a personís ethicsÖ only time will tell.

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
jcvoodoo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I know the NFL is a business however, I find it hard to believe Sean Payton will go somewhere else. In NOLA, the positives outweigh the negatives IMO.

^NS922 on the sig^
QB Connoisseur

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you for the most part, but you have to look at what Dallas has:

Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, DeMarco Murray, Morris Claiborne....

The future is pretty bright for them.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB Connoisseur wrote:
I agree with you for the most part, but you have to look at what Dallas has:

Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, DeMarco Murray, Morris Claiborne....

The future is pretty bright for them.

Sure... but if were talking future I'd say the Saints are in better shape than Dallas. (my opinion) not being a homer but I like the young core of the Saints much more than that of Dallas.

Jordan
Graham
Ingram
Ivory
Morgan
Lofton
Hicks
Martez

I just see the Saints being much closer than Dallas to a championship... Forget this season, its a wash. Payton knows as well as anyone that he's good for about 3-4 wins alone and on this team that makes us likely 9-5 instead of 6-8 right now.

Harper41

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh. We really don't have much young "star" potential outside of Graham and maybe Hicks IMO. The Cowboys definitely have more young talent BUT they don't have Drew Brees and I think thats what sets us apart.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Porter22

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you define as "star" potential. Galette, Wilson, Hicks, Jordan, Robinson, Quddus have a lot potential on the defense side and Graham, (Morgan), Ingram/Ivory are very talented offense players.
Sure the Cowboys have many talented players (Bryant, Murray, Lee, Claiborne, Carr), but not more than the saints
Harper41

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porter22 wrote:
Depends on what you define as "star" potential. Galette, Wilson, Hicks, Jordan, Robinson, Quddus have a lot potential on the defense side and Graham, (Morgan), Ingram/Ivory are very talented offense players.
Sure the Cowboys have many talented players (Bryant, Murray, Lee, Claiborne, Carr), but not more than the saints

Galette, Wilson and Quddus are all rotational players. Quddus MIGHT start next year, but it won't be because his talent can't keep him off the field. Its because Harper and Jenkins aren't good. Bryant, Murray, Lee, Claiborne and Carr are all pro bowl caliber players OR working their way there. The guys you're listing? Not so much.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
Porter22 wrote:

Galette, Wilson and Quddus are all rotational players. Quddus MIGHT start next year, but it won't be because his talent can't keep him off the field. Its because Harper and Jenkins aren't good. Bryant, Murray, Lee, Claiborne and Carr are all pro bowl caliber players OR working their way there. The guys you're listing? Not so much.

Star potential is a term that gets thrown around far to often...

Based soley on potential, I'd take Ingram over Murray in the long run simply due to the health factor. Claiborne is currently the better player between he and P-Rob but based on potential alone P-Rob may have a bigger upside if he realizes his full potential. Dez Bryant is a very talented player but he's also a head case who's future with the Cowboys will be on a year by year basis. Look at what they currently have to due with him to simply keep him out of trouble, what's gonna happen when they are forced to give him a major contract?

Not saying the Boys don't have talent but to suggest the Saints young core dosent compare is nuts. The boys do not have 1 single young D-Lineman id take over Jordan and Hicks. Lofton is a young stud in the middle and the Saints have a young solid interior offensive line.

Oh yeah... Brees > Romo, Graham > Bryant

Cowboys have D-Ware, that's it! but that's a big it! Laughing

Harper41

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Porter22 wrote:

Based soley on potential, I'd take Ingram over Murray in the long run simply due to the health factor. Claiborne is currently the better player between he and P-Rob but based on potential alone P-Rob may have a bigger upside if he realizes his full potential. Dez Bryant is a very talented player but he's also a head case who's future with the Cowboys will be on a year by year basis. Look at what they currently have to due with him to simply keep him out of trouble, what's gonna happen when they are forced to give him a major contract?

Not saying the Boys don't have talent but to suggest the Saints young core dosent compare is nuts.

WHAT?! Murray has more talent in his left leg than Ingram does in his whole body, get out of here. Murrays definitely injury prone but he has unreal potential, he has twice the talent Ingram does and Claiborne has WAY more potential than Robinson, and I love Robinson. I'd kill to have Dez on this team, he might be the most physically gifted WR in the NFL not named Calvin, the Saints PALE in comparison to the young talent that the Cowboys have. The only thing that puts us above them is Drew Brees, their defense is better and has more young talent and their offense has better WRs and a better starting HB while I'd give the Saints the significant edge at QB, TE and OL. Lets not act like Sean Paytons debating leaving the Saints for the Raiders, the Cowboys are a Super Bowl contender with him there, easily.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Porter22 wrote:

Not saying the Boys don't have talent but to suggest the Saints young core dosent compare is nuts.

WHAT?! Murray has more talent in his left leg than Ingram does in his whole body, get out of here. Murrays definitely injury prone but he has unreal potential, he has twice the talent Ingram does and Claiborne has WAY more potential than Robinson, and I love Robinson. I'd kill to have Dez on this team, he might be the most physically gifted WR in the NFL not named Calvin, the Saints PALE in comparison to the young talent that the Cowboys have. The only thing that puts us above them is Drew Brees, their defense is better and has more young talent and their offense has better WRs and a better starting HB while I'd give the Saints the significant edge at QB, TE and OL. Lets not act like Sean Paytons debating leaving the Saints for the Raiders, the Cowboys are a Super Bowl contender with him there, easily.

Will simply agree to disagree here... Murray is in a system that feeds him the ball buthis body type and running style is a major reason for his injury issues. He's had them since high school, I realize he's a talented back but the question was FUTURE of the position and I just simply feel Ingram will be the better more productive longer lasting of the two. Based on pure athletic talent P-Rob has more ability than Claiborne but C-Bo is the better corner. Bryant, again is talented but like many other talented players in this league I'd do without based on their diva personaliaty but that's my preference. I feel Graham is more of a star than Bryant is and will ever be.

This is simply a situation where we disagree...

tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Those are some VERY thick black and gold tinted glasses whodatworm

I do agree with you on Dez though, all the talent in the world but he's a headache.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
Shocked

Those are some VERY thick black and gold tinted glasses whodatworm

I do agree with you on Dez though, all the talent in the world but he's a headache.

Those be my custom made Ray Bans! Wink Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: