Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

EDS named starting center.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
driftwood

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: EDS named starting center. Reply with quote

Quote:
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde
Yep. RT @cleuck: so it wasnt because of his health but rather they think EDS is the better option right now?

Jeff Saturday confirms he has been benched as the #Packers starting center in favor of Evan Dietrich-Smith. Calls it a passing of the torch

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne
Close to playoffs, but #Packers appear to be benching Jeff Saturday. Said today, "Whatever decision is made, you support what happens."

anyone else read these tweets from Wilde & Dunne so far?

Saturday confirmed it during his locker room interview this afternoon

not mad about this move at all, but i'm surprised they made this decision with 2 weeks left

maybe to acclimate EDS with a few starting reps before the playoffs start?

future begins now i suppose

Last edited by driftwood on Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
incognito_man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow

not the move anyone expected with Lang coming back.

Not sure how I feel about this.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not surprised. The Packers obviously saw something out of EDS at the center position during training camp and preseason, and thought that he graded out well enough during his time replacing Lang at LG that he deserves a chance. Rodgers hasn't exactly been well protected so far this season, and most places I've looked at have Saturday ranked near the bottom for starting centers in the league. The playoffs are where it counts, and you've gotta make sure the best player on your team is protected. We finally have somewhat of a sturdy offensive line now that Barclay is in at RT, so hopefully this will shore things up even more.

Not to mention that EDS might be our starting center for 2013. I guess they feel they have to see him in extensive game action to be able to make that decision, especially with a playoff spot already clinched.

In McCarthy I trust.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep here's the tweet from Wilde confirming it.

Quote:

Jeff Saturday confirms he has been benched as the #Packers starting center in favor of Evan Dietrich-Smith. Calls it a passing of the torch,

driftwood

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm personally fine with the move in general... i felt (as well as many others) EDS was our future center after Saturday anyways & that they brought in Jeff as a stop gap just in case...

the move obviously makes more sense now that Lang is back to LG... but i'm curious if Bulaga never gets injured, does EDS even get this chance in 2012?

i think EDS will be our center for the long term as well... & highly doubt TT takes one with a high pick in the next draft either assuming Saturday is gone
wgbeethree

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Win/win situation IMO.

We see what EDS can give us at center fo a few games.

If he plays well we have a center of the future and a big question mark answered going forward.

If he struggles we can put you a fresher Saturday back in for the playoffs, no harm no foul, and we know we need to look elsewhere for a C of the future.

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Justo knows nothing about sportz

justo wrote:
I would be a terrible coach/anything.
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next couple games could decide whether or not Barrett Jones/Jon Cooper are Packers. If EDS looks solid, we have a lot of ways to use our early DPs in April.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodgers talked him up earlier in the season. This team seems pretty honest when they talk about talent. Probably one of the big reasons teams do well (cough jets are never honest.) This happening this year basically means Saturday is gone, right?

#FREEBARRINGTON
Dubyajay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, they are planning on running the ball more entering the playoffs.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubyajay wrote:
IMO, they are planning on running the ball more entering the playoffs.
Have to think that. Running game has come to life a bit and the passing game hasn't fully clicked all year.

Kempes on the custom sig!
GoPackGo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Rodgers talked him up earlier in the season. This team seems pretty honest when they talk about talent. Probably one of the big reasons teams do well (cough jets are never honest.) This happening this year basically means Saturday is gone, right?

I would think so. Even if EDS fell flat on his face and we had to replace him with Saturday, it's clear this staff isn't thrilled with the play of Saturday (or EDS if he fails), so I don't see how you don't upgrade in the off-season. Could be the end of Saturday's career period.

I know we brought him in because he as savvy with the line calls and sees a lot of the same field that Rodgers does. How is EDS with this? Certainly don't want Rodgers to get hit MORE than he already is.

God, family, and the Green Bay Packers; in that order.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think he will be a better center than guard. I kinda feel bad for Saturday, he doesn't sound bitter. It would be cool if we could have him around as a coach, the guy could teach the young centers, dude knows a quite a bit.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
justo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoPackGo wrote:
I know we brought him in because he as savvy with the line calls and sees a lot of the same field that Rodgers does. How is EDS with this?
Palmy has stated a few times that he thinks Saturday got better at the calls over time. FWIW FO had Saturday as the 30th best starting C in the NFL. Maybe they decided EDS was better with the system since he has been here longer? No se. Hard to say without seeing him do it in practice.

Speaking of practice, is today the first day that they are using him in the starting O? Shocked

#FREEBARRINGTON
justo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutting Saturday would cost us 825,000 but keeping him next year would cost us 4,575,000

#FREEBARRINGTON
Arodsmightybelt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
The next couple games could decide whether or not Barrett Jones/Jon Cooper are Packers. If EDS looks solid, we have a lot of ways to use our early DPs in April.

pretty much this, surprised to see the move but, throwing him in the water to see how he sinks/swims.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: