Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Break from Lovie Debate Offseason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: The Break from Lovie Debate Offseason Reply with quote

Re-Sign

DT Henry Melton [5 years 37.5 million/20 guaranteed]

OG Lance Louis [4 years 14 million/3 guaranteed]

LB Nick Roach

C Kelvin Hayden

QB Josh McCown

Release/Not Re-Sign

LB Brian Urlacher
CB D.J Moore
TE Kellen Winslow
WR Devin Hester

Free Agents

OT Sebastian Vollmer [New England] 5 years 35 million/19 guaranteed

The Bears need to add an OT at some point in the offseason. I think that it is a risk to go into the draft with a need as big as the Bears have at OT. Right now are starters are Webb, who at his best has been average, and Carimi who has struggled terribly at RT. I do not believe that Clady, Albert or Bushrod are going to hit free agency so the Bears need to look at an upgrade from another source. In my opinion Vollmer can play LT or RT and he solidifes one spot and allows the Bears to focus on competition and help at the other. Vollmer will be cheaper and more likely to hit the market than Clady and others because of his age [29] and his injury history.

OT Dennis Roland [Cincinnati] 2 years 7 million/2 guaranteed

The Bears need to add 2 professional OTs in this draft and Roland has started and backed up in Cleveland and shown that not only is he huge [6'9" 322lbs] but he has god athletic ability and is a solid pass protector. Roland can come to Chicago get a significant pay raise and be an unquestioned starter for the first time in his career.

TE Ed Dickson [Baltimore] 3 years 9 million/3 guaranteed

The Bears need to get a true receiver at the TE position and while Dickson is not the starter for the Ravens he can catch the ball and attack the middle of the field. Dickson is a huge improvement as you actually have to cover him and I have not seen him fall over very often.

LB Jonathan Casillas [New Orleans] 2 years 6 million/2 guaranteed

A back up for New Orleans he has a ton of speed and he plays hard and can come here and get a chance to start on a reasonable raise and prove himself as a starter for a new deal. With Roach moving to the middle and Greene being groomed in that spot as the long term answer Casillas can play SLB.

Draft

1[19] OG Chance Warmack [Alabama] 6'2" 325lbs.

The Bears LG position might be the worst positions on the Bears. We can not pick up a stunt we get bull rushed into the pocket and we cannot get inches in the run game. That ends with Warmack who is one of the best OG prospects in a couple of seasons. He is built like a Coke machine and simply physically dominates players. He also handles the pass rush well and mirrors well until his hands get on the guy and the rep is over. Warmack steps in at LG and we never worry about it again as he may be one of the safest picks in the draft.

2[51] LB Khaseem Greene [Rutgers] 6'1" 235lbs.

If Lovie is retained as head coach, which I think he will be, the Bears will be looking for a new MLB and there are 2 things that they will be looking for, speed and ability to cover. Greene has both of these things to spare being a converted safety. Greene can run all over the field and can handle the demands in coverage that the position needs. Greene also has a little New Jersey toughness to him and he plays hard and physical against the run and makes plays with his speed and his aggressiveness.

4. C Dalton Freeman [Clemson] 6'5" 292lbs.

With the OTs addressed in free agency the Bears can focus on adding size, talent and youth to the middle of the line. Warmack solves the LG position and Freeman can come in and compete with Garza. Freeman is a big man who has anchored Clemson line and is capable of physically playing sooner rather than last year.

5. CB Travis Howard [Ohio St] 6'1" 200lbs

A big physical CB that can be developed behind Charles Tillman and provide depth while contributing on special teams. Howard has the physical skills to be a starting CB in a Cover 2 defense.

[B]6. DE Larry Webster [Boomsburg] 6'7" 245lbs.

A risky pick on a raw player, but a guy from a small school that has a ton of physical upside and can be developed as a potential starter down the road. With Wootton and Peppers starting and McClellin getting stronger and taking over Izzy reps the Bears need an athlete that can play 5-10 snaps a game and be athletic. A former basketball player he has all the physical upside that you need.

Depth Chart

QB: Cutler, McGown
RB: Forte, Bush, Allen, Rodriquez
WR: Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, Weems, Anderson
TE: Dickson, Spaeth, Adams
LT: Vollmer
LG: Warmack, Brown
C: Graza/Freeman
RG: Louis, Freeman
RT: Roland, Webb

RE: Peppers, McClellin
DT: Melton, Collins
NT: Paea, Toenia
LE: Wootton, Webster
SLB: Casillas, Costanzo
MLB: Roach, Greene
WLB: Briggs, JT Thomas,Trahan
CB: Tillman, Jennings, Hayden, Howard, Frey, McManis
FS: Conte, Hardin
SS: Wright, Steltz, Walter
abdi7451

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch them not pick up any of these guys.

Shoutouts to Delphi on the sig!

Adopt-a-Bear: Matt Blanchard l QB l #4 l P-Squad
ak06max

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abdi7451 wrote:
Watch them not pick up any of these guys.

I like this minus Dickson.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this sounds all right to me, albeit a bit unrealistic (just because you know not everything will roll the way you expect it to and whatnot).

A few notes from dissecting your post-

1. Henry Melton's contract renewal:
I think re-signing Melton should definitely be a priority. But at the same time, with the way Defensive Tackles contracts have been treated as of late For example, the highest paid DT was or maybe still is Haloti Nagata, who when signed was set to be making about 12 per (it's 12.X but I don't recall what exactly X would be and don't feel like looking right now) for 5 years with a hefty signing bonus I would assume (I don't remember it either), because he is making $37 million in guaranteed money over the duration (and like I said, I have no idea how much of that money is from the signing bonus).

Melton has... 13 sacks on his career, I believe? Correct me if I'm wrong. Believe me, I like him a lot- but he has broken out at the end of his contract, he's entering his age 27 season next year, and do we all remember a guy named Tommie Harris who (at the time of the signing) was the highest paid DT in football only to burnout more or less from the minute we signed on the dotted line? He made something like 15 million in guaranteed cash for that deal, too.

If Melton is worth a 20 million signing bonus (and in this market- now compared to then- maybe he is worth 20 mil., but being older than Harris was when he got his bonus w/ the Bears in '08, I don't know), then I have to bring this up, too...
Cutler is a FA in 2013 and has publicly stated he isn't into discussing his contract or negotiations/negotiating during the regular season.

He is obviously going to command some money, and I would think if the Bears really feel he is in their plans for 2013 and beyond (which by bringing aboard Marshall as they did, I would assume they aren't going to just abort and start a full-on rebuild, including the QB- hell, *ESPECIALLY* the QB given how much they have invested in trying to make Cutler their franchise QB so far).

This all said, I don't know if a 20 mil. signing bonus is going to be in the Bears' wallets for Melton (or worth it in the long haul anyway).... one comparison I can think of was Kendall Langford (Rams), and he had 7 sacks when the deal was signed or maybe even less. He signed 0a 4 year deal for 22-24 mil (give or take a little maybe?), similar to your projection for Melton, but he had 12 mil in guaranteed money I know for fact. That's one comparison I can think of really. But I don't know his age off the top of my head either.

I think I'd almost prefer or hope that Melton is tagged though, as long as he's a good sport about it. 7-8 million would probably be what we would have to pay him, and we could figure out what we're doing with Cutler at least.

If we're moving along after 2013, I would honestly rather make a move this year rather than next off-season. And I can't tell if Cutler is a longterm plan or not anymore... half of the people I'll ask want him gone, the other half acknowledge he's far from the main problem.

What front office does I cannot predict, especially there and especially with Lovie possibly in limbo (I still think he'll return).

I also am not a big Dickson fan. Dennis Pitta is far from a gem, but he's outproduced Dickson by leaps and bounds, and that is obviously saying something.... Kellen Davis can do a Dickson impression, or vice-versa. Seriously.... the Bears are not really utilizing TE in the passing game, and I don't see the need for a guy like Dickson who hasn't done anything.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: The Break from Lovie Debate Offseason Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Re-Sign

DT Henry Melton [5 years 37.5 million/20 guaranteed]

OG Lance Louis [4 years 14 million/3 guaranteed]

LB Nick Roach

C Kelvin Hayden

QB Josh McCown

Release/Not Re-Sign

LB Brian Urlacher
CB D.J Moore
TE Kellen Winslow
WR Devin Hester

Free Agents

OT Sebastian Vollmer [New England] 5 years 35 million/19 guaranteed

The Bears need to add an OT at some point in the offseason. I think that it is a risk to go into the draft with a need as big as the Bears have at OT. Right now are starters are Webb, who at his best has been average, and Carimi who has struggled terribly at RT. I do not believe that Clady, Albert or Bushrod are going to hit free agency so the Bears need to look at an upgrade from another source. In my opinion Vollmer can play LT or RT and he solidifes one spot and allows the Bears to focus on competition and help at the other. Vollmer will be cheaper and more likely to hit the market than Clady and others because of his age [29] and his injury history.

OT Dennis Roland [Cincinnati] 2 years 7 million/2 guaranteed

The Bears need to add 2 professional OTs in this draft and Roland has started and backed up in Cleveland and shown that not only is he huge [6'9" 322lbs] but he has god athletic ability and is a solid pass protector. Roland can come to Chicago get a significant pay raise and be an unquestioned starter for the first time in his career.

TE Ed Dickson [Baltimore] 3 years 9 million/3 guaranteed

The Bears need to get a true receiver at the TE position and while Dickson is not the starter for the Ravens he can catch the ball and attack the middle of the field. Dickson is a huge improvement as you actually have to cover him and I have not seen him fall over very often.

LB Jonathan Casillas [New Orleans] 2 years 6 million/2 guaranteed

A back up for New Orleans he has a ton of speed and he plays hard and can come here and get a chance to start on a reasonable raise and prove himself as a starter for a new deal. With Roach moving to the middle and Greene being groomed in that spot as the long term answer Casillas can play SLB.

Draft

1[19] OG Chance Warmack [Alabama] 6'2" 325lbs.

The Bears LG position might be the worst positions on the Bears. We can not pick up a stunt we get bull rushed into the pocket and we cannot get inches in the run game. That ends with Warmack who is one of the best OG prospects in a couple of seasons. He is built like a Coke machine and simply physically dominates players. He also handles the pass rush well and mirrors well until his hands get on the guy and the rep is over. Warmack steps in at LG and we never worry about it again as he may be one of the safest picks in the draft.

2[51] LB Khaseem Greene [Rutgers] 6'1" 235lbs.

If Lovie is retained as head coach, which I think he will be, the Bears will be looking for a new MLB and there are 2 things that they will be looking for, speed and ability to cover. Greene has both of these things to spare being a converted safety. Greene can run all over the field and can handle the demands in coverage that the position needs. Greene also has a little New Jersey toughness to him and he plays hard and physical against the run and makes plays with his speed and his aggressiveness.

4. C Dalton Freeman [Clemson] 6'5" 292lbs.

With the OTs addressed in free agency the Bears can focus on adding size, talent and youth to the middle of the line. Warmack solves the LG position and Freeman can come in and compete with Garza. Freeman is a big man who has anchored Clemson line and is capable of physically playing sooner rather than last year.

5. CB Travis Howard [Ohio St] 6'1" 200lbs

A big physical CB that can be developed behind Charles Tillman and provide depth while contributing on special teams. Howard has the physical skills to be a starting CB in a Cover 2 defense.

[B]6. DE Larry Webster [Boomsburg] 6'7" 245lbs.

A risky pick on a raw player, but a guy from a small school that has a ton of physical upside and can be developed as a potential starter down the road. With Wootton and Peppers starting and McClellin getting stronger and taking over Izzy reps the Bears need an athlete that can play 5-10 snaps a game and be athletic. A former basketball player he has all the physical upside that you need.

Depth Chart

QB: Cutler, McGown
RB: Forte, Bush, Allen, Rodriquez
WR: Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, Weems, Anderson
TE: Dickson, Spaeth, Adams
LT: Vollmer
LG: Warmack, Brown
C: Graza/Freeman
RG: Louis, Freeman
RT: Roland, Webb

RE: Peppers, McClellin
DT: Melton, Collins
NT: Paea, Toenia
LE: Wootton, Webster
SLB: Casillas, Costanzo
MLB: Roach, Greene
WLB: Briggs, JT Thomas,Trahan
CB: Tillman, Jennings, Hayden, Howard, Frey, McManis
FS: Conte, Hardin
SS: Wright, Steltz, Walter
I can't give anyone 7 million a year who is risky in the injury area. Players generally haven't been worth the money after leaving NE. But they often sign huge contracts which means NE just gets more draft picks. When they have more picks virtually every year it just keeps the dynasty going.

Take players from their practice squad and hurt them instead.

When taking linemen durability is as important as almost any other quality. Webb has been remarkably durable so he stays whatever they do.
MonserinNC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, you LOVE you some Vollmer!!! Laughing Cool

BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: