Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Quarterback depth
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: 2013 Quarterback depth Reply with quote

I'm bored, with little to do, so I was curious about everyone's thought on our QB depth chart. Assuming Smith is let go (I'm assuming he will be since that money can be used to resign Dashon or someone else), what would you want to do with the backup quarterback position? Will Tolzien be ready to be a back up do you think? Should we draft a middle round QB like an EJ Manuel or Zak Dysert and let them battle with Tolzien? Or should we try and find a veteran qb to be the back up? The only (current) free agent i would consider bringing in is probably matt moore, but obviously there are going to be other options once cut time comes (Sanchez, Cassell, maybe Chad Henne or Michael Vick or Kevin Kolb). If we cut smith how do you think we should handle it? If we can get a suitable veteran backup QB for cheap, I'm probably in favor of that, but I also really like the idea of seeing what Tolzien can do and perhaps drafting another developmental QB in the latter rounds...for some reason I really like Jordan Rodgers...and not just because of the bloodlines. Curious about everyone's thoughts on this?

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
49erurtaza

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tolzen as the number 2 and a veteran as the number 3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh Johnson?
scraly47*

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elvischannel wrote:
Josh Johnson?

I think we should bring him back as the #3. Scott has shown me enough for me to believe he should atleast get a shot at the number two job.

-Lork
oldman9er

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works for me. Lord Tolzien should make for a good #2 and J.J. a #3 to push him.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really glad we have a young backup like Tolzien. With a mobile QB like Kaep he's bound to take hits and a solid backup is crucial for teams like us. I love what Washington did with RG3 and Cousins really shows how important an above average backup can be.

That said we really won't know what we have with Tolzien until the time comes. If we need a veteran backup next year I like Jason Campbell, or JJ again. That way our offense doesn't vary too much if they come in.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
I'm really glad we have a young backup like Tolzien. With a mobile QB like Kaep he's bound to take hits and a solid backup is crucial for teams like us. I love what Washington did with RG3 and Cousins really shows how important an above average backup can be.

That said we really won't know what we have with Tolzien until the time comes. If we need a veteran backup next year I like Jason Campbell, or JJ again. That way our offense doesn't vary too much if they come in.
Campbell might be ok since we have a good line for him to work behind. You can't really judge him off what we saw when our guys tee'd off on him.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
NinerNation21

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tolzien could be the back up. I'd prefer to have a veteran backup but Tolzien understands the offense better then any available QB's. There must be a reason the team keeps calling him Baby Brees. I'd like to see him have more responsibility and see if he could be a good trade piece eventually. If the niners win this weekend, I'd like to see Tolzien play some snaps in the second half against the Cardinals next week.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinerNation21 wrote:
I think Tolzien could be the back up. I'd prefer to have a veteran backup but Tolzien understands the offense better then any available QB's. There must be a reason the team keeps calling him Baby Brees. I'd like to see him have more responsibility and see if he could be a good trade piece eventually. If the niners win this weekend, I'd like to see Tolzien play some snaps in the second half against the Cardinals next week.
That would be interesting but it would have to happen after we build a lead. I kind of don't think it will happen because CK needs his reps before the playoffs in game time situations.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
LANiner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tolzien aka baby brees is number 2 i hope we draft someone in the later rounds athletic specimen like kaep would be awesome

48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LANiner wrote:
tolzien aka baby brees is number 2 i hope we draft someone in the later rounds athletic specimen like kaep would be awesome

I really don't want us drafting a QB I feel we have other positions with age concerns we need to sure up before we draft a 3rd string QB to sit behind 2 guys under 26.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
LANiner wrote:

I really don't want us drafting a QB I feel we have other positions with age concerns we need to sure up before we draft a 3rd string QB to sit behind 2 guys under 26.

well, we don't know exactly what we have in Tolzien just yet, and I'd like a qb in rounds 6-7 to develop on the practice squad (again, my crush on Jordan Rodgers would fit here). I don't think you're filling a lot of "needs" in rounds 6-7 unless your drafting a punter or kicker. otherwise its just depth and hopeful development. If you like a QB and think he has potential, I say go for it regardless of what your needs are in rounds 6 or 7. I say take best person available.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
NINERFAN_4_LIFE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:
LANiner wrote:

well, we don't know exactly what we have in Tolzien just yet, and I'd like a qb in rounds 6-7 to develop on the practice squad (again, my crush on Jordan Rodgers would fit here). I don't think you're filling a lot of "needs" in rounds 6-7 unless your drafting a punter or kicker. otherwise its just depth and hopeful development. If you like a QB and think he has potential, I say go for it regardless of what your needs are in rounds 6 or 7. I say take best person available.

Ive seen enough of Tolzien to know exactly what we have. hes played enough in the preseason for me to get a really good feel for this kids game. He is a natural qb. Quick release, good zip on the ball, sees the whole field, extremely accurate and most importantly, has no fear whatsoever. I know its just preseason but I can read body language extremely well (esp at the stick) and I can tell this kid is a great backup qb. I was very impressed with him when he beat us in SD and I know harbaugh was too and how well he played in ps plus the fact harbaugh cut josh johnson for him makes me believe that harbaugh sees the same things that I do.

Backup qbs are a different breed than starters, you have to be able to just go out and play without getting very many reps or anything and I have confidence in tolzien to play in a pinch and get the job done. he just has that air about him. Our offense would be more traditional than with kaep but it would still be effective. He gets the ball out to playmakers and lets them work and I think he would have a lot of success with crabs if he was ever forced to play, for that reason.

I agree we will probably bring josh johnson back but I wouldnt mind spending a late round pick on a qb with a ton of upside (who we can then hide in the preseason to put him on the PS)

according to THIS article we will have 11-13 picks next year. So im all for taking some chances on some boom or bust guys... its not like we are going to ask any rookie to come in and start anyways at basically any position. I wish the nfl would expand rosters because there is no way we will keep 13 new people next year... so i smell a few trade ups in later rounds. baalke has shown he will trade up to get his guys.
UofMfan909

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tolzien as primary backup... he knows the offense, and seems like the prototypical backup in a Harbaugh offense based on his time in Wisconsin. If he comes in, he probably won't make those stupid mistakes that cost you games, but he's not going to light the world on fire with his arm, either. He's smart, pretty accurate, and I'm comfortable with him stepping in for Kaep for a few games if need be. Knowing the offense well is a huge plus, too.

#3 is whatever for me. If you're down to your third guy you're probably screwed anyway. We can sign a veteran castaway if the situation arises and we need immediate help while we're contenders, but I want to keep a developmental guy on the team in the spot. Odds are the player will never do anything, but it's worth it to take a (very low) risk on a guy with a few key attributes in the later rounds to see if you can find a gem.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been big on Tolzien since his Wisconsin days. From everything I've seen in preseason, the guy's more than capable of a #2 job. Not an athletic specimen, mediocre arm strength, but one commentator said it best: he's a gamer. Kind of reminds me of a less athletic Alex, really. Efficient. Plus you can't discount the experience--he's been in the offense for two years, which gives him two more years of experience than anyone else we could bring in.

That said, assuming Kaep is the starter, we might want someone whose abilities more closely reflect his. This is why Harbaugh brought in Johnson last preseason, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him on our roster (as a 2 or 3) next year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: