Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Fracdaddy14's 2013 Mock Draft- (12/29 Update!) Last Post
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Fracdaddy14's 2013 Mock Draft- (12/29 Update!) Last Post Reply with quote

Longtime Giants fan who has posted draft stuff last year too.

New York Giants 2013 Mock Draft (Assuming picking in the 25-32 range, based on estimated draft positions)

Round 1- Kawann Short- DT- Purdue (6-3 315)
-Linval Joseph is solid, but Canty has a high salary and is no longer productive enough to justify.  Marvin Austin seems to be a bust so why not go for a true disrupting tackle with a great motor and size.  Short was utterly un-blockable at times and would give a long-term DT solution.

Round 2- Datone Jones- DE- UCLA (6-5 275)
-Jones has the prototypical size, athleticism, and versatility to fit perfectly into the Giants system.  He has recorded sacks, tackles, tackles for losses, safeties, forced fumbles, and blocked kicks.  He can line up in NASCAR as a DT and be groomed to replace Tuck in a year as starting LDE.  While JPP is a beast, Tuck and Osi are showing wear and tear in off-years.  And Reese loves pass-rushers.

Round 3- Gerald Hodges- LB- Penn St (6-2 238)
-Chase just shouldn’t be starting and Boley is aging.  With Jacquan Williams as the only backup with true starter potential, the GMEN would be wise to pick up a young LB with experience.  Hodges not only makes a lot of tackles and a force in coverage, but was athletic enough to spend time as KR and PR this season.

Round 4- Omoregie Uzzi- G- Georgia Tech (6-3 303)
-The Giants have enough raw OTs and while Boothe (a FA) and Snee have been solid, Baas could use an upgrade.  Solid C/Gs can be found in the middle rounds and would improve our play in the trenches.  Uzzi isn’t a first round pick like Barrett Jones, but has a really strong tecnique run blocker who could start with Snee and Baas/Boothe. Stays low and good punch are great qualities for interior lineman like Uzzi.

Round 6- Dustin Hopkins- K- Florida St (6-2 190)
-Lawrence Tynes is a free agent and it may be time to look for a replacement.  Hopkins is a rare kicker worth drafting.  He may not be Legatron, but has multiple 50+ yard kicks and is the best kicker in the class.

Round 7- Larry Webster- DE- Bloomsburg (6-6 240)
-This is a store away for a special occasion pick.  Webster is joining the growing trend of prospects converted from Basketball to Football.  He was a monster for D-II power Bloomsburg.  He has the size to add much-needed bulk and is raw, but he is worth a look to see if he can turn into a JPP-like physical freak.  His father played DL for 11 years.

Let me know what you think!

Last edited by fracdaddy14 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Acgott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First 3 picks defense? Acgott seal of approval

6th pick kicker? Tynes is 34 and is having his best year ever, we are not losing him
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
First 3 picks defense? Acgott seal of approval

6th pick kicker? Tynes is 34 and is having his best year ever, we are not losing him

Glad you liked it. The reason for the kicker is Tynes has been having a great season, but his kickoffs aren't elite and his FGs aren't long distance. With him being a free agent and probably realistically looking at 3 years, $7.5 million, that is a lot of money tied into the kicking game. Weatherford signed long-term for 2+ million and the 2 million saved from Tynes could be used elsewhere. Its just a thought.
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey frac thanks for the mock. Personally I think CB and O line are the Giants top 2 priorities, so I'd like to see them addressed first but that's just my opinion
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYGiantsman10 wrote:
Hey frac thanks for the mock. Personally I think CB and O line are the Giants top 2 priorities, so I'd like to see them addressed first but that's just my opinion

Thanks for the feedback.

Based on the prior draft position (25-32) and player projections, I didn't see many fits for higher OL. I'd rather us sign another CB through FA then draft a rookie who injures himself in camp and is already behind the 8 ball like Prince and Hosley.

After the Falcon's game, we might move up the line and get a player like OT Taylor Lewan, OT Jake Matthews, or CB Jonathan Banks. Other position canidates include Sheldon Richardson, Sam Montgomery, or Alex Ogltree.
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fracdaddy14 wrote:
NYGiantsman10 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

Based on the prior draft position (25-32) and player projections, I didn't see many fits for higher OL. I'd rather us sign another CB through FA then draft a rookie who injures himself in camp and is already behind the 8 ball like Prince and Hosley.

After the Falcon's game, we might move up the line and get a player like OT Taylor Lewan, OT Jake Matthews, or CB Jonathan Banks. Other position canidates include Sheldon Richardson, Sam Montgomery, or Alex Ogltree.

You know Prince has been (by far) our best CB this year...? Basically as long as he's been on the field?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just meant as a rookie, he was hurt and came back mid-season and was thrown into the fire with next to no practice time. And he struggled some. Same with Hosley this year, although he got at least 1 pre-season game. Prince is a definite starter. Webster is off his game this, but his and Terrell Thomas's contract mean we can't afford to cut both so we will have to start at least 1.
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Update- 12/18 Reply with quote

New York Giants 2013 Mock Draft (Assuming picking at current position at 19, based on estimated draft positions)

Round 1- Jesse Williams- DT- Alabama (6-3 320)
-Linval Joseph is solid, but Canty has a high salary and is no longer productive enough to justify. Marvin Austin seems to be a bust so why not go for a true disrupting tackle with a great motor and size. Williams was a top starter on Alabama and would give a long-term DT solution.
- Previous Pick- Kawann Short- DT- Purdue

Round 2- Dallas Thomas- OT- Tennessee (6-5 310)
-Although the Giants have drafted a bunch of OL like James Brewer, Mitch Petrus, and last year's picks Brandon Mosley and Matt McCants, they still haven't found a long-term solution at RT. It is still unfair to judge Mosley who has been on IR, but he may be more of a OG anyway. Dallas Thomas doesn't have the name of his major SEC counter-parts and could fall to the 2nd Round, but has the game to compete. He needs only a little bit of polish and could start Day 1.
- Previous Pick- Datone Jones- DE- UCLA

Round 3- Tank Carridine- DE- Florida St (6-5 265)
-Carridine is slightly undersized (and coming off a torn ACL which is why he falls here), so were Tuck and Osi. He has recorded sacks, tackles, tackles for losses, forced fumbles, and 80 tackles (leading the team). He will be groomed to replace Tuck in a year as starting LDE. While JPP is a beast, Tuck and Osi are showing wear and tear in off-years. And Reese loves pass-rushers and Tank is a pass-rusher.
- Previous Pick- Gerald Hodges- LB- Penn St

Round 4- Gerald Hodges- LB- Penn St (6-2 238)
-Chase just shouldn’t be starting and Boley is aging. With Jacquan Williams as the only backup with true starter potential, the GMEN would be wise to pick up a young LB with experience. Hodges not only makes a lot of tackles and a force in coverage, but was athletic enough to spend time as KR and PR this season. With a deep draft with lots of players at "most wanted" positions, a traditional LB without a top grade could fall.
- Previous Pick- Omoregie Uzzi- G- Georgia Tech

-Lawrence Tynes is a free agent and it may be time to look for a replacement. Hopkins is a rare kicker worth drafting. He may not be Legatron, but has multiple 50+ yard kicks and is the best kicker in the class.

Round 7- Larry Webster- DE- Bloomsburg (6-6 240)
-This is a store away for a special occasion pick. Webster is joining the growing trend of prospects converted from Basketball to Football. He was a monster for D-II power Bloomsburg. He has the size to add much-needed bulk and is raw, but he is worth a look to see if he can turn into a JPP-like physical freak. His father played DL for 11 years.

Let me know what you think!
Acgott

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we need secondary help in the worst way. We have 3 starters that need replacing there (Webster, T2, Phillips) so unless you have a certain FA in mind we need to draft at least one

We do not need another player on the DL that has major knee problems
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
we need secondary help in the worst way. We have 3 starters that need replacing there (Webster, T2, Phillips) so unless you have a certain FA in mind we need to draft at least one

We do not need another player on the DL that has major knee problems

Carradine is a 1st round player with only 1 injury, so if he's there in the third round, I think he will be BPA. There will likely be a run of CBs taken early 2nd round, but a player like Desmond Trufant or Jordan Pryor is possible where we will pick in round 2. If a player like Thomas is gone, I do believe CB/S will be targeted.

Our cap situation is such that its unlikely both Webster and TR2 will be cut. Phillips is a free agent. I agree they need to be replaced, but unless we trade for picks, there isn't much in the draft. Of course, that could change.

For free agents, Jarius Byrd is a great cover safety, but its likely either Buffalo resigns him or he gets bigger money than we could give. William Moore would be my target as he is a good combo safety who fits our system. As for CBs, someone like D.J. Moore of the Bears would be a fine nickle CB. That would give the Giants Rolle, W. Moore, Brown, and Hill for safeties and Prince, Webster, Hosley, and D.J. Moore for CB. Its not great, but it could give better play.
Acgott

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T2 has a 6 million dollar option bonus, he is gone on his current contract

Webster is garbage and we may have to keep on his current contract, but we can convert all of his salary into a signing bonus to save money and help the cup

The Giants DL is garbage and extremely injury prone, they cannot afford to draft a DE for someone that just tore his ACL in November when Osi will be gone, Tuck has injury concerns, Canty has injury concerns, the German Assassin even got injured. The DL cannot afford to have another player with knee problems
GMENNATION

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
T2 has a 6 million dollar option bonus, he is gone on his current contract

Webster is garbage and we may have to keep on his current contract, but we can convert all of his salary into a signing bonus to save money and help the cup

The Giants DL is garbage and extremely injury prone, they cannot afford to draft a DE for someone that just tore his ACL in November when Osi will be gone, Tuck has injury concerns, Canty has injury concerns, the German Assassin even got injured. The DL cannot afford to have another player with knee problems

T2 is gone and I agree that Webster has taken a huge step back but he will still be here next season. However, Prince showed he is ready to be the #1 corner on this team going into next year. Hopefully Webster still has enough to cover teams' #2/slower receiver. With Hosley having a full offseason in the system, hopefully he will not get absolutely embarrassed in coverage. Also, Tryon will be back from injury and could provide good depth at corner. I would like to see them pick up a cheap veteran corner in FA.

The bigger issue with passing defense is they did not get good pressure AT ALL. Osi and Tuck are not effective enough anymore and we need people that can penetrate. Give me the best available DT or DE at our pick in the first round.

However, if one of the RT prospects are available (Lewan or Matthews) at our pick, I think Jerry has to think REALLY hard about taking them. Our lack of toughness along the OL is killing our offense.

I would leave safety alone early in this draft... I think Stevie Brown and Will Hill have shown enough to get playing time again and hopefully Phillips can stay healthy... Just not our biggest need this offseason.
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Fracdaddy14's 2013 Mock Draft- (12/29 Update) Reply with quote

Round 1- Jordan Poyer- CB- Oregon St (5-11 190)
- Outstanding ball skills and is a great cover corner. Also, a solid tackler. Could give us our #2 CB to Prince for 2014 with Hosley in the nickle.
Previous Pick- Jesse Williams

Round 2- Dallas Thomas- OT- Tennessee (6-5 310)
-Although the Giants have drafted a bunch of OL like James Brewer, Mitch Petrus, and last year's picks Brandon Mosley and Matt McCants, they still haven't found a long-term solution at RT. It is still unfair to judge Mosley who has been on IR, but he may be more of a OG anyway. Dallas Thomas doesn't have the name of his major SEC counter-parts and could fall to the 2nd Round, but has the game to compete. He needs only a little bit of polish and could start Day 1.

Round 3- Datone Jones- DE- UCLA (6-5 275)
-Jones has the prototypical size, athleticism, and versatility to fit perfectly into the Giants system. He has recorded sacks, tackles, tackles for losses, safeties, forced fumbles, and blocked kicks. He can line up in NASCAR as a DT and be groomed to replace Tuck in a year as starting LDE. While JPP is a beast, Tuck and Osi are showing wear and tear in off-years. And Reese loves pass-rushers.
Previous Pick- Tank Carridine

Round 4- Gerald Hodges- LB- Penn St (6-2 238)
-Chase just shouldn’t be starting and Boley is aging. With Jacquan Williams as the only backup with true starter potential, the GMEN would be wise to pick up a young LB with experience. Hodges not only makes a lot of tackles and a force in coverage, but was athletic enough to spend time as KR and PR this season. With a deep draft with lots of players at "most wanted" positions, a traditional LB without a top grade could fall.

Round 5- Josh Boyd- DT - Mississippi St (6-3 300)
- Boyd was undervalued playing along side Fletcher Cox, but he has a similar burst and plays the run well. He could use a bit of technique work and working on his lateral quickness, but he could contribute immediately in a rotation.

-Lawrence Tynes is a free agent and it may be time to look for a replacement. Hopkins is a rare kicker worth drafting. He may not be Legatron, but has multiple 50+ yard kicks and is the best kicker in the class.

Round 7- Bruce Taylor- LB- Virginia Tech (6-2 244)
- Just looking at his size, Taylor is a prototypical thumping Middle Linebacker. He doesn't have the athletic ability of many of the high profile LBs, but could be a solid starter on 1st and 2nd down. Has some durability concerns.
- Previous Pick- Larry Webster
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frac I love this mock. I think it hits all of our needs. Sign me up right away
Acgott

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYGiantsman10 wrote:
Frac I love this mock. I think it hits all of our needs. Sign me up right away

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: