Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Akers Not Slumping?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Akers Not Slumping? Reply with quote

Akers Not Slumping

Quote:
The 49ers are scoring touchdowns on 61.5 percent of red zone possessions. That is up from 40.7 percent last season, when Akers set an NFL record with 44 made field goals, 32 of them from inside 40 yards. Akers has attempted only eight field goals from inside 40 this season. He has made all eight. Akers made 32 of 33 such attempts last season. Those are borderline gimme kicks in the NFL. Attempting lots of them will drive up any kicker's percentage for the season. Removing them from the equation will drive down any kicker's percentage. Of course, missing from 41 yards in overtime was bad Sunday. But it's misleading to say Akers is mired in a horrible slump. Akers has made 6 of 10 attempts from 40-49 yards this season. He was 6-of-11 last season. His percentage has actually improved from that range, although it was higher earlier in his career.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/81370/around-the-nfc-west-akers-not-slumping

Frank Gore 10,000 yard tracker:

Currently - 9,967
Ranked 29th all-time
CaptainKaep7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stats don't lie but we see it differently when it seemed like he was dominating it last year. But it seems like he has missed the key ones that we really need.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainKaep7 wrote:
stats don't lie but we see it differently when it seemed like he was dominating it last year. But it seems like he has missed the key ones that we really need.

Yeah, he was clutch last year. He did have some games where he missed a couple and got one blocked, but when we needed a FG in the last seconds, he'd get it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. The big difference this year is the clutch factor. We really needed that kick to go through. It's hard to blame a guy for missing a few clutch kicks when he basically won half our games last year, though. Maybe not half. I haven't really looked at it that closely, but when your kicker breaks records, is the leading scorer in the league, you have to assume he's won a ton of games for us. I'll give him a few bad kicks. I just hope he pulls through for us down the stretch and into the playoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks as if he's lost his magic now. I think we should seriously look at other options going into the playoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
It looks as if he's lost his magic now. I think we should seriously look at other options going into the playoffs.

+1. He cost us both St. Louis games already, which sucks and all, but I'm going to be furious if he costs us a shot at the superbowl this year in the playoffs.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
big9erfan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gore Whore 21 wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:

+1. He cost us both St. Louis games already, which sucks and all, but I'm going to be furious if he costs us a shot at the superbowl this year in the playoffs.

could be the difference between a road game or a home game in the NFC finals

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gore Whore 21 wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:

If we cut him, let's hope he doesn't kidnap Kaepernick.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
NinerNation21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there will always be a way to skew stats to change the perception on players but just by looking at Akers, he does not look right. It seems to be a little bit of mental distractions plus possible injury with Akers. I dont study his form and follow through but the end result is underwhelming.

One thing I noticed last night that I dont recall ever seeing from akers this year is his leg strength during kickoffs. Now i dont know if its just the weather or what but all of Akers' kickoffs landed about 1-3 yards away from endzone. He used to kick them out the back of the endzone earlier in the season, and lets not forget about the 60+ yard FG. Im going to keep an eye on his kickoffs for the last two games because I dont remember Akers not being able to get the ball in the endzone during kickoffs.

Now this is just me thinking out loud but lets just say for sh*ts and giggles that Akers is injured somewhat significantly. Maybe his shanking FG's is a result of him compensating for his injury. The reduced power in his kickoffs would suggest A. Bad weather last night, B. Ware and tear of the season, C. Injury. Im gonna guess its a mixture of all three but my gut tells me its mostly C. I hope Akers isnt keeping a serious injury from the team because of fear of losing his job.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly it looks like we will ride out Akers the rest of the year due to the lack of good kickers on the available in free agency. We will have to wait till the draft to get a new one. Having a bad a kicker going into the playoffs is going to have me worried.

^Kempes^
sherm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can't trust him to make the kick in the playoffs. Last yr was last yr.
Cali2Wisco

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akers just quit twitter because someone threatened his life if he missed another field goal...
NinerNation21

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali2Wisco wrote:
Akers just quit twitter because someone threatened his life if he missed another field goal...

I just read that tweet. That guy sounds like a moron and extremely immature. Akers has been disappointing this year but by no means deserved to be treated like that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinerNation21 wrote:
Cali2Wisco wrote:

I just read that tweet. That guy sounds like a moron and extremely immature. Akers has been disappointing this year but by no means deserved to be treated like that.
yeah that's over the top.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Ataal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wonder Alex doesn't have a Twitter account.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: