Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Nothin "Smelley" about this!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KamTrus20

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched a 40 min reel of Brad Smelley and he clearly lines up in the backfield often. He even lined up in the I and offset I a formation you said he never lined up in. Yes he was on the edge more often than not but he clearly was used as a lead blocker numerous times a game.

DS I honestly don't get what you deal is with pigeonholing players. You act like no one has even been able to play multiple positions and do multiple things in the NFL.

Jamison on the sig
KamTrus20

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
bruceb wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
fatpig wrote:
the point is that Smelley hit people in college. i have yet to see Marcecic/Smith lay a big hit on a defender like Vickers used to. hoping that the Browns are gonna use Smelley at FB to bulldoze thru the Redskins for TRich.

not a great point...so did marecic.

and I doubt smelly bull doze's anyone.

He doesn't have to...just needs to get people out of Trent's way, unlike Smith who crumbles and becomes part of the obstruction
didn't say he had too. just made the statement that I doubt he does. The guy was more of a technique chip blocker off the edge and is a former HS QB.
So is Michael Robinson and a former College QB, who blocks for one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL

Using logic and giving concrete examples does not work with DS.

Jamison on the sig
Ether

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not supremely confident in Smelley's ability in the NFL as a lead blocker, I don't think he was really much of a tenacious blocker in college. More of a smart one that knew how to position himself.

However we might as well give him a shot. Alex Smith isn't even a fullback and Marecic...well he was benched by somebody who has never been a fullback.
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
Tully305 wrote:
I'm still pissed that Heckert let Vickers walk and wasted a 4th on Marecic.

If that's your biggest beef with the GM, consider yourself lucky.

Lots of luck to Smelley. I hope he sticks.

That actually is my biggest beef with Heckert by a long way...... Heckert is awesome.

But the IDIOT should of kept Vickers,

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin 16 Recs 169 Yds 2 TD's
Pierre Desir
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
Tully305 wrote:
I'm still pissed that Heckert let Vickers walk and wasted a 4th on Marecic.

If that's your biggest beef with the GM, consider yourself lucky.

Lots of luck to Smelley. I hope he sticks.

That actually is my biggest beef with Heckert by a long way...... Heckert is awesome.

I liked Vickers too, but even though he caught the ball well in the beginning of his career he had serious issues later on. With the offense going west, I think they wanted a FB who was better at catching the football.

...Enter Owen Marecic.

That failed, so in hindsight keeping Vickers would seem like the better move but I get why he went in a different direction and if he got a FB that was actually decent we would have forgot about Vickers.

In hindsight, you are definitely right.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:
I just watched a 40 min reel of Brad Smelley and he clearly lines up in the backfield often. He even lined up in the I and offset I a formation you said he never lined up in. Yes he was on the edge more often than not but he clearly was used as a lead blocker numerous times a game.

DS I honestly don't get what you deal is with pigeonholing players. You act like no one has even been able to play multiple positions and do multiple things in the NFL.
Who's pigeonholing guy. It reads TE by his name in Bama and Cleveland. Laughing BTW TE means Tight End. Wink No just state what they have played and what there listed position is. And postulate that there listed position might be the one they'll play. I know it is a gigantic intuitive leap for ya, but it can be done.

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
KamTrus20 wrote:

Who's pigeonholing guy. It reads TE by his name in Bama and Cleveland. Laughing BTW TE means Tight End. Wink No just state what they have played and what there listed position is. And postulate that there listed position might be the one they'll play. I know it is a gigantic intuitive leap for ya, but it can be done.

Kinda like Alex Smith?

It will happen some day. Not sure when.
fatpig

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
KamTrus20 wrote:

Kinda like Alex Smith?

bingo. Alex Smith is a straight up TE. and Marecic is a LB/supposedly pass-catching FB/TE. neither of them are great at blocking or catching.
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
KamTrus20 wrote:

Kinda like Alex Smith?
Alex Smith is one the reasons i think Smelly will be playing TE. Blocking is Smiths strength and catching is Smelly's

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:

I think calling him an idiot is a bit strong. I mean, its a full back. Do you know who the Fullback for the #1 running back in the league is?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H-back....Fullback....Tight End....I really don't care what you call it. I would want to see Smelley come in and lead block, as well as, catch the ball out of the backfield.

I believe he is more than capable of doing both. In my opinion it will be an upgrade over Marecic and Smith. That is not saying much. An upgrade is an upgrade though.

BIG UPS TO REG....DA MAN
Metcalf21

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to Smelly. It will be nice if he can block, but he will probably be put in more for his catching abilities. You know what they were hoping Owen Marecuc could do? Mostly like he will come in on a third an short and catch a first down on the a same play we ran with Owen multiple times and he dropped it.
DawgX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I was happy when the Browns drafted Smelley. I can't imagine him being any worse than Marecic or Smith at blocking and he could give Weeden another weapon out of the backfield.

Smack on the sig.
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFL News: Brad Smelley promoted by Browns
December 11, 2012 By Scott

The Cleveland Browns have announced their promotion of fullback/tight end Brad Smelley from the practice squad, releasing defensive lineman Ronnie Cameron to make room on the roster.

Brandon Weeden has his pass-catching college teammate in Josh Cooper, so it only makes sense that Trent Richardson gets his lead blocker.

Drafted by the club in the seventh round (247th overall) of this year’s draft out of Alabama, Smelley has spent all 14 weeks of the regular season on the club’s practice squad. He appeared in all four preseason games and recorded two receptions for 21 yards, including a 12 yard touchdown.

Smelley is touted as a solid blocker who can also catch passes when called upon, relying more on cerebral play than athleticism. He will likely serve as a back-up to the role carved out by current fullback/tight end Alex Smith while potentially earning a role within the Browns’ special teams unit.
ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned earlier in the thread, to make room for Smelley, we waived DT Ronnie Cameron. Cameron was immediately signed off the street (by Philly).

Not a big deal, but it's definitely a change to see our cuts being signed by other teams.

It will happen some day. Not sure when.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: