Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Full Offseason (updated 1-11)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Full Offseason (updated 1-11) Reply with quote

Staff

GM - John Dorsey
HC - Andy Reid
OC - Doug Pederson
QB - Matt Nagy
Off QC - Brad Childress
RB - Eric Bieniemy
DC - Bob Sutton
LB - Gary Gibbs
ST - Dave Toub

Comments: Most of these changes are already finalized, pending, or likely. WCO and 3-4 defense are the way this staff will run things. Vastly improved on the offensive side of the ball, especially in the QB development area.

Resigns:

Branden Albert - LT
Dwayne Bowe - WR
Steve Maneri - TE
Luke Patterson - C
Patrick DiMarco - FB
Ripoti Pitoitua - DE
Edgar Jones - LB
Brandon Siler - LB
Dustin Colquitt - P
Thomas Gafford - LS

Comments: Albert and Bowe are obvious, as are Colquitt and Gafford. Maneri is a good 3rd TE with spot start ability. Patterson is still in development. Jones and Siler offer both depth and special teams.

Key Releases

Matt Cassel - QB
Kevin Boss - TE
Andy Studebaker - LB

Comments: Cassel finally purged. Boss concussions are too much. Studebaker was basically a choice between him and Greenwood, I see Greenwood showing up more in ST than Studebaker does.

Key Contracts Expired

Brady Quinn - QB
Peyton Hillis - RB
Abram Elam - S
Glen Dorsey - DE
Shaun Smith - DE
Travis Daniels - CB/S
Jake O'Connell - TE

Comments: Meh. I think all these guys need to go do it elsewhere, we're moving on.

Free Agent Signings

Richard Seymour - DE

Comments: I'd love Seymour here. We have the depth behind him to keep him fresh (think Abraham in ATL), and when fresh he is a 3 down guy who can get after the passer a little bit, knock passes down, and defends the run. He was having another strong season before injury this yearThis addition fits my overall philosophy of staying in base defense - which is one of my goals in this off-season. I want to sub package when it suits US, not when forced by the opposition!

David Garrard - QB

Comments: An efficient veteran. Pocket QB with a little bit of run in him when needed. I think his style would mesh well with Geno and I believe he's ran a lot of WCO in Jax. Similar to McNabb/Pederson with Reid in '99, Smith/Garrard start the same way here. The only difference is I think Geno starts week 1.

Tim Hightower - RB

Comments: An excellent back in pass protection and leaking out for screens and flats. Can run the ball pretty well too when called upon. With Morris present the landscape has vastly changed in Washington since Hightower was injured (ACL). Only 27 when the season starts though he's been around a while.

Quentin Jammer - DB

Comments: So here we pluck a DB from a rival. But.. he's not here to play CB! He's coming here to play FS as he's no longer got the youth to stay on the edge as a CB any more.

2013 NFL Draft

Round 1 - Geno Smith - QB - WVU

Scouting Report
Scouting Report #2
Geno Smith - Accuracy article

Best QB in the draft at this point. Biggest need this team has. Geno has all the physical tools needed to succeed and by all accounts the heart and mind to succeed as well. Love the quick release but a few fundamentals do still need work (he often looks a bit hunched over to me). Maturity with handling emotions needs to improve as well.

Round 2 - Barrett Jones - G/C - Alabama

Scouting Report #1
Scouting Report #2
Jones (and Warmack) against Tenn 2012

Having dealt with the safety position in free agency, I was free here to just take the BPA. We know Reid likes OL and this kid is really awesome. Can play all across the line and do so at an extremely high level. A recent injury may.. MAY.. push him into the 2nd round and we benefit big time. I like Hudson, Allen, and Asamoah but I like Jones even more.

Round 3 - Sean Porter - ILB - A&M

Scouting Report
Scouting Report #2
Porter vs Arkansas '12

So it appears Brown in round 3 is just too low, and I'm unwilling to trade up to get him in the 2nd. Had to move on to another prospect and Porter is the man here. Listed as an OLB in college, in truth he's played all over the place for the Aggies (as Bigs I'm sure can attest). Gifted in coverage ability and speed Porter could be the 3 down LB I'm looking for next to DJ. This is key in my overall thought process here. I want to get away from so much sub packages and be more balanced in the base. People often think a thumper is needed next to DJ but when you really watch him - DJ is a thumper AND so much more (read: P Willis like). Porter will need to improve his point of attack game a bit but who better than DJ to learn it from? Porter has pass rush ability as well, although he has to go around guys to get pressure, can't run through them with strength. Still, this adds versatility behind Hali and Houston.

Round 3 Compensatory - Leon McFadden - CB - SDSU

Still looking for the right mix at CB.

Round 4 - Joseph Fauria - TE - UCLA

Scouting Report
Scouting Report #2

Strong bloodlines and solid when used production. Needs to improve his blocking but he does enough to in that role to not be a liability.

Round 5 - Tyrann Mathieu - DB - LSU

Scouting Report
Scouting Report #2
Mathieu vs Arkansas '11

Controversial player for sure. Hopefully humbled with his fall from grace and ready to prove things where it matters most. His instincts are phenomenal on the football field playing inside the numbers. Slot type DB. Has a role in the return game and kick coverage units as well.

Round 6 - Devin Taylor - DE - SC

Scouting Report

Interesting late round prospect. Has a bit of pass rush in him but far from a complete player. Needs development and an NFL conditioning program.

Round 7 - John Sullen - OG - Auburn

Scouting Report

Developmental guard from a big program.
2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #29 Eric Berry, S
Tackles:14/Assists:1/TFL:0/Sacks:0/FF:0/FR:0/PD:1/INT:0

Last edited by Arrowhead86 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:10 pm; edited 12 times in total
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

training camp depth chart coming soon***

Last edited by Arrowhead86 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not quite down with #7 from LSU, but I like this draft quite a bit overall so I'm down. What about Vaccaro from Texas over Reid? Why do you like Reid more?

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:
I'm still not quite down with #7 from LSU, but I like this draft quite a bit overall so I'm down. What about Vaccaro from Texas over Reid? Why do you like Reid more?

Actually I think Vaccaro goes at the bottom of the first round so he is gone by our #33 pick, or I'd have chosen him. I think he has the slightly better speed/size and will impress enough to slide ahead of Reid in the off-season/combine work.
samsel23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving this offseason.

Only things, I'm not big on Fauria. I like Jordan Reed or Zach Sudfeld here though Wink

And not a big Devin Taylor fan, but I agree with the position again so not complaining too much.

This would be an excellent offseason.

Free Agents I'd look at;

RB

DE (Seymour)

ILB (Ellerbe, Gooden)

OLB (Kruger)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staff Changes:

Comments coming soon. Wink

Resigns

Would love to see Bowe resigned. Hopefully the new brass can convince him to stay, but I doubt he does.
I am glad to see Quinn resigned in a back up role. However I hope he is pushed to the #3 guy.
Albert is an absolute must. Love BA and he needs to be signed long term.
Love me some Colquitt too. Hope we can resign him.
All the others are good role/developmental players I have no problem bringing back to TC.

Key Releases
BYE BYE MATT CASSEL. Woohoo
I understand the release of Boss and I agree with it. It is just highly unfortunate. I was excited for that pick up and disappointed it didn't work out.
Copper is a good ST guy if we can keep him in that role I would look to bring him back. I don't want to see him taking snaps at WR though.
Breaston needs to be active and used. He was a good #2 last year. WTH happened? Not his fault (I don't think) and I really feel for the guy. Newsome/Bellamy/Copper should not be getting PT over him.
Studebaker is average. Won't miss him.

Key Contracts Expired
I wish Hillis had panned out, but I don't care to see him resigned.
I actually think we should try to bring back Elam to a reasonable deal. He isn't terrible and he does provide depth. Much better than McGraw or Piscitelli.
Dorsey's time is up. No problem here (unless he can be resigned for cheap, doubtful)
Glad to see the others go.

FA Signings

comments coming soon

2013 NFL Draft

1. Love Geno. Everybody is knocking him because he isn't the prospect RG3 or Luck were. But they were once in a lifetime type prospects. I believe Geno is on the same level as a Sam Bradford, but that's probably just me. Regardless we have to address the position and I hope Geno is that guy.

2. I believe we need to go highest rated DB here, whether that is a Safety or CB. (unless Bowe walks then maybe a Cordarelle Patterson or another WR). I haven't seen much of Reid, but I would be down with this addition. I would prefer Matt Elam over him however. (maybe Jordan Poyer here and Phillip Thomas at 3b?)

3. Love Arthur Brown. Sign me up.

3b. Dont know much about McFadden, but he is rated fairly highly in different places. I have only heard positives and another addition to our secondary would be a good idea.

4. We do need to add a TE and whoever the best on the board here is fine by me.

5. Not a fan of this pick. I really dislike Mathieu. If he is available in the 7th, I might take a chance, but not this early. OLB, DE, RB, WR, QB should be considered.

6. Adding a DE would probably be a wise idea. Taylor has the potential and is worth a 6th round pick. However maybe a Margus Hunt falls to the 5/6th and I would take him.

7. Never heard of this guy. Late flyer on an OL is a good way to go. However I would consider Braden Wilson or Zach Boren at FB, Maybe Michael Mauti or Jake Knott falls after their injuries, RB Zac Stacy, or WR TJ Moe (homer pick)

7b. Dont we have an additional 7th for Barry Richardson? Not sure.
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why these young WR's "need" to see a spot over Breaston? We have two young WR's in Baldwin and Wylie who need playing time, the others don't have enough upside to warrant a spot by virtue of age. If we go Baldwin, Bowe, Wylie, DMX...then Newsome and Bellamy for example....that's an awfully large downgrade if Bowe or Baldwin get injured, and unecessary as well. Hopefully a new coaching staff and QB and an injury like that won't affect us as much, but i'd prefer to keep both Copper and Breaston...neither are even over 30.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to judge without some UFA signings. Without any, I think there are some holes, or at least some more pressing needs to be addressed sooner in the draft.

^ryknowssd on the sig
brawl.kc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure Arthur Brown will be there in the 3rd. If he is, we have found two gems in the third round in three years. I say take him in the second or trade back into the second with your third to secure his position. pick 25 in the 2nd round should be adequate.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brawl.kc wrote:
I'm not so sure Arthur Brown will be there in the 3rd. If he is, we have found two gems in the third round in three years. I say take him in the second or trade back into the second with your third to secure his position. pick 25 in the 2nd round should be adequate.

ILB's fall all the time, at least in regards to where fans think they'll go, especially in what is a fairly decent class.

I'd rather get CJ Mosley at the top of the 2nd then Brown there. I'd be fine with Brown in the 3rd, which I feel will be plenty early barring some massive combine from him.

^ryknowssd on the sig
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
I don't understand why these young WR's "need" to see a spot over Breaston? We have two young WR's in Baldwin and Wylie who need playing time, the others don't have enough upside to warrant a spot by virtue of age. If we go Baldwin, Bowe, Wylie, DMX...then Newsome and Bellamy for example....that's an awfully large downgrade if Bowe or Baldwin get injured, and unecessary as well. Hopefully a new coaching staff and QB and an injury like that won't affect us as much, but i'd prefer to keep both Copper and Breaston...neither are even over 30.

I do think Copper and Breaston are better players right now than Newsome and Bellamy. Extremely tough cuts in both cases.

Let's talk Copper first cause his is a bit more difficult case than Breaston is. Copper is a really good special teamer first and foremost, along with a very solid back of the depth chart WR. He's faster than people realize (or was at least when he was drafted). He has a chance actually to change my mind over the next 3 games. That said I think Newsome (more so than Bellamy and even Wylie) is about to get that same chance and I like the way he plays out there. He (and Copper as well to be fair) makes tough catches in traffic, and he looks to have a nice after the catch ability. More so than Copper seems to offer.

Now Breaston is truly caught in a numbers situation. He seemingly only wants to play outside, not inside. Well Bowe and Baldwin have those spots locked. If they would use Breaston in the return game (he is a really good returner) he could regain some value but if he's just going to be a straight back up WR, at his cost, we need a cheaper option. I kinda wish they'd put Bowe in the slot a little bit similar to Boldin, but that hasn't happened and Breaston is languishing and taking up cap space for nothing right now. I view it as a situation that fits not only the Chiefs going forward, but Breaston as well.

"Need" was probably the wrong word choice on my part. Really after discussing it deeper I made a mistake wording it that way.

Last edited by Arrowhead86 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
It's hard to judge without some UFA signings. Without any, I think there are some holes, or at least some more pressing needs to be addressed sooner in the draft.

UDFA's are hard but I do plan to sprinkle some in there. Was thinking of posting at least one each at WR, RB, FB, and DB when I get around to that part.
Cutler06

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too doubt Brown will make it past the 2nd rd, but a trade up may be possible. Who/what do you get a 3rd rd compensation pick for ??

Jakuvious wrote:
KC's pass rush is fast. Manning's decision making is faster.
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler06 wrote:
I too doubt Brown will make it past the 2nd rd, but a trade up may be possible. Who/what do you get a 3rd rd compensation pick for ??

Branden Carr

I like it man! keep it updated!
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrowhead86 wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:

UDFA's are hard but I do plan to sprinkle some in there. Was thinking of posting at least one each at WR, RB, FB, and DB when I get around to that part.

I was referring to free agent vets not undrafted rookies. I'd like to see us get a CB that can project at least short term to start opposite Flowers.

^ryknowssd on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: