Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AFC Playoff Picture Discussion...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which AFCN team is our biggest competition?
Pittsburgh Steelers
71%
 71%  [ 15 ]
Cincinnati Bengals
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 21

GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
The good news for us this year is that other than Houston, everyone else is floundering even more than we are.

If we can either a) play like a team on a mission against Houston in the playoffs or b) manage to avoid them, I'm still feeling optimistic about our chances of winning the AFC.

11-5 probably gets the bye for us this year, and 10-6 might still be good enough to do it with most of the tiebreakers going our away. The AFC's incompetence is an incredible blessing for us.

Agreed. I think our best bet is if Denver gets matched up with the Texans in the bracket... because I think they're the one team that could have a shot at beating the Texans. Obviously they lost to them already, but you have to think it'll take an elite QB to beat the Texans defense... and it's going to take a pass rush to get to Schaub. The Broncos have the pass rushers and they have Manning. So it'll be tough, but I think they could do it.

On the other hand, besides the Texans, no team we've faced this season scares me as much as the Broncos with Manning at the helm.

Not much about that team scares me outside of Manning. A home matchup in cold weather is pretty much the best matchup we could have hoped for against him.

I'm worried about New England above all else - I know all of the games are even regardless of where they're played, but we were lucky to get by them at home. We can take them at home in January, but they seem like the best bet to catch up to us in the standing even without the tiebreaker.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
The good news for us this year is that other than Houston, everyone else is floundering even more than we are.

If we can either a) play like a team on a mission against Houston in the playoffs or b) manage to avoid them, I'm still feeling optimistic about our chances of winning the AFC.

11-5 probably gets the bye for us this year, and 10-6 might still be good enough to do it with most of the tiebreakers going our away. The AFC's incompetence is an incredible blessing for us.

Agreed. I think our best bet is if Denver gets matched up with the Texans in the bracket... because I think they're the one team that could have a shot at beating the Texans. Obviously they lost to them already, but you have to think it'll take an elite QB to beat the Texans defense... and it's going to take a pass rush to get to Schaub. The Broncos have the pass rushers and they have Manning. So it'll be tough, but I think they could do it.

On the other hand, besides the Texans, no team we've faced this season scares me as much as the Broncos with Manning at the helm.

Not much about that team scares me outside of Manning. A home matchup in cold weather is pretty much the best matchup we could have hoped for against him.

I'm worried about New England above all else - I know all of the games are even regardless of where they're played, but we were lucky to get by them at home. We can take them at home in January, but they seem like the best bet to catch up to us in the standing even without the tiebreaker.

They concern me, but at the same time, their defensive backfield isn't really that good.

I guess we can say the same for Denver having a defense that isn't full of world beaters, but they have those quick twitch pass rushers that I think will cause Oher/KO problems.

NE also has an offensive line that I think we match up well against defensively. The thing that most scares me against NE is the fact that we no longer have Webb to be a factor in covering Welker. I'm worried about how our nickel play will look. But the Houston game didn't really show us what we can expect in this area. But Suggs return probably > Webb loss in terms of how it helps/hurts against NE.

So as long as we get NE at home, I like our chances. We know NE, we've played them. We tend to play them well. We know what to expect. We haven't seen the Broncos much- especially not with Manning. We'll have on meeting to get familiar with them... and then comes the possibility in the playoffs. Flacco tends to play better the more he sees a particular defense, I prefer to take knowledge of what it takes to beat NE over the lack of knowledge over what it might take to beat the Broncos.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:

They concern me, but at the same time, their defensive backfield isn't really that good.

I guess we can say the same for Denver having a defense that isn't full of world beaters, but they have those quick twitch pass rushers that I think will cause Oher/KO problems.

NE also has an offensive line that I think we match up well against defensively. The thing that most scares me against NE is the fact that we no longer have Webb to be a factor in covering Welker. I'm worried about how our nickel play will look. But the Houston game didn't really show us what we can expect in this area. But Suggs return probably > Webb loss in terms of how it helps/hurts against NE.

So as long as we get NE at home, I like our chances. We know NE, we've played them. We tend to play them well. We know what to expect. We haven't seen the Broncos much- especially not with Manning. We'll have on meeting to get familiar with them... and then comes the possibility in the playoffs. Flacco tends to play better the more he sees a particular defense, I prefer to take knowledge of what it takes to beat NE over the lack of knowledge over what it might take to beat the Broncos.

Wow... and now things change. I just now saw that the Patriots traded for Aqib Talib. He's a headcase, but they're going all in... and headcases tend to keep their head on straight for at least the first year with a team... this is bad news. The Patriots just went from in the same pack with us and the Steelers, to elevating themselves into a true elite team along with the Texans... winning HFA just became THAT much more important. Mad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Steelers are down. A loss to the Giants will be key. We can't have them going 2/2 of the NFCE while we've already lost to the Eagles and have the Giants coming up in the coming weeks. Not to mention it gives us a greater lead in the W/L column for the division.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No such luck... we're going to have to at least split the season series to take the division.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Texans game looks like its going the way of our game with them earlier this season- only they're us and the Patriots are them.

The Texans have just been shooting themselves in the foot all game long. Leaving points on the board, dumb procedural penalties, etc.

That and JJoe just looks like a shell of what he was last year and even earlier this season when he was able to cover Torrey Smith and contain him 1on1.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priority 1: win division

Priority 2: get healthy

seeding isn't as important as those two
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Priority 1: win division

Priority 2: get healthy

seeding isn't as important as those two

I agree but I disagree.

We need to get healthy and we need to win the division (obviously), but HFA through two rounds would be huge for us- especially since our offensive communication has been better at home this season.

But I'd also like to add one more priority here...

Priority 3: Establish an offensive identity.

We've just released Cam Cameron. We've never really had an identity under Cam. But if we could establish an offensive identity with Caldwell guiding the unit, then I think that should drastically increase our chances at getting to/winning a Super Bowl.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: