Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rookie Evaluations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rusty28264

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Rookie Evaluations Reply with quote

Now that the season is almost over how would everyone evaluate or rookies this year. A complete evaluation.

1. Matt Kalil:
2. Harrison Smith:
3. Josh Robinson:
4. Jarius Wright:
5. Rhett Ellison:
6. Greg Childs:
7. Robert Blanton:
8. Blair Walsh:
9. Audie Cole:
10. Trevor Guyton:
Nbanflguy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rookie Evaluations Reply with quote

rusty28264 wrote:
Now that the season is almost over how would everyone evaluate or rookies this year. A complete evaluation.

1. Matt Kalil: A
2. Harrison Smith: A-
3. Josh Robinson: B
4. Jarius Wright: C
5. Rhett Ellison: B-
6. Greg Childs: Incomplete
7. Robert Blanton: Not really sure here. C- I guess.
8. Blair Walsh: A+
9. Audie Cole: A++++++ 2 pick sixes in the preason game. Superstar!
10. Trevor Guyton: Got cut. No grade

Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Matt Kalil: A franchise cornerstone for the next decade. A+

2. Harrison Smith: A franchise cornerstone for the next decade. A+.

3. Josh Robinson: Already a solid starter with the tools and the potential to get even better. B for current production, A- for potential.

4. Jarius Wright: Has some tools. I'd put him at a B-.

5. Rhett Ellison: Many hated the pick in April, but he's making us forget about the former #40. B+.

6. Greg Childs: Incomplete.

7. Robert Blanton: Incomplete.

8. Blair Walsh: Has missed some kicks, but has been very good on both field goals and kick-offs. A- to A.

9. Audie Cole: Incomplete.

10. Trevor Guyton: D. Oh well.

Overall, I'd probably give this draft a A-/B+, with potential to rise.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safe to say Speilman nailed that draft.
ryanTHEtrojan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Klomp"]1. Matt Kalil: A franchise cornerstone for the next decade. A+

2. Harrison Smith: A franchise cornerstone for the next decade. A+.

3. Josh Robinson: Already a solid starter with the tools and the potential to get even better. B for current production, A- for potential.

4. Jarius Wright: Has some tools. I'd put him at a B-.

5. Rhett Ellison: Many hated the pick in April, but he's making us forget about the former #40. B+.

6. Greg Childs: Incomplete.

7. Robert Blanton: Incomplete.

8. Blair Walsh: Has missed some kicks, but has been very good on both field goals and kick-offs. A- to A.

9. Audie Cole: Incomplete.

10. Trevor Guyton: D. Oh well.

Overall, I'd probably give this draft a A-/B+, with potential to rise.[/quote]

Sup guys, Raiders fan here but forever a Trojan at heart. I came to this forum to see how Kalil and Ellison are doing since I dont watch a lot of Vikings games and tackles and full backs arent gonna be in the news often like a Luck, RG3, or even TRich. Not really sure who the old #40 that youre referring to that Ellison replaced but Im glad to see hes doing well. I thought he was ok in college but I didnt think he would merit a fourth round pick. The guy was a gamer though so I guess I cant say Im too surprised. Kalil though, I knew that guy would be a stud. Him and Nick Perry (also in the NFC north) declaring for the draft early were the difference of my Trojans going to the Rose Bowl or National Championship to the Sun Bowl. Actually, I think that if Kalil stuck around (although why would he? He was clearly a man among boys back then), he could have potentially gone #1 this year with the lack of a true #1 quarterback that everyone is drooling over and various concerns with the defensive prospects.

Anyways, thanks for the time. Glad to hear my fellow Trojans are doing well, especially since Im now a de facto Minny fan since your FB and LT are blocking for AP, who somehow "fell" to me in the second round of my fantasy draft (well that and my Raiders are hurting). HA! Good luck with the rest of the season
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Matt Kalil: Franchise LT = A

2. Harrison Smith:Brilliant Safety, completely changed the back end coverage = A

3. Josh Robinson: Great contributor, has seen a lot of playing time, has a BRIGHT future = A-

4. Jarius Wright: Has some upside and has been seeing more playing time = B

4. Rhett Ellison: Ellison should have a bigger role going forward, good blocker decent receiver = B-

4. Greg Childs: Incomplete

5. Robert Blanton: Probably wont get many opportunities unless MN plays a 3 Safety defense = C

6. Blair Walsh: Walsh has been brilliant on FGs and kickoffs = A

7. Audie Cole: Looked good in the preseason played sparingly on special teams = Incomplete

7. Trevor Guyton: Incomplete
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful crop of yutes this year. off to a great start.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great draft.loved the Kalil and Robinson picks, and like the Smith and Walsh picks when they were made. They all look even better than I thought. Hated the Ellison pick, under the assumption you just signed Carlson and had Rudolph. Given that there was probably a guard in that round four area, that is what I wanted with one of those picks.

But, Spielman looks smart on that pick also. Let's hope next year is this good, because they need players.
Vikes_Bolts1228

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

What's a yute?

Proud Minnesota Vikings season ticket holder!
Kellerman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikes_Bolts1228 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

What's a yute?

Déjà vu...

Edit: It's this word that vikedaddy is really fond of, he's been pushing it's use for a while now.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
chuck44

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyone on every evaluation but one....I think everyone is looking thru rose colored glasses with Josh Robinson...dont get me wrong the kid has alot of potential..but also needs alot of work..

I think being a Viking fan has led us to believe he is playing better than he is,because we have been so bad at cornerback for a long time.

If you watch the games closely...teams attack him...he routinely gets beat man to man..because he lacks ball skills...he is always close but seldom makes a play on the ball

He gets lost in zone coverage...ie the last bears touchdown...he doesnt jam the wr at the line to give the S time to get over the top...go back and look at previous games it happens alot

the interceptions he has have been thrown right to him...gifts...he did not make the play....dont get me wrong the kid has alot going for him...he has great speed,solid tackler and seems to have a great attitude,but he has alot of work to do to be a consistent starter in this league

my grade for him is a C+..B--
this providence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rookie Evaluations Reply with quote

1. Matt Kalil: Pro Bowl-level player and rightfully should be when a team uses a #4 Overall pick on a tackle.

2. Harrison Smith: Has flashed some very strong potential but like any rookie he'll get lost from time to time. Love his physicality in the tackling department, but he needs to improve wrapping up the ball carrier.

3. Josh Robinson: Sound third round pick. Very good tackler and nice short area quickness. I think he's more of an ideal nickel corner as that plays more to his strengths. Find another higher level corner opposite Cook and they have a good thing going.

4. Jarius Wright: At this stage, he's nothing more than #5 or 6 in this league. Far too raw and frail right now to ever be a reliable contributor.

5. Rhett Ellison: Very shrewd pick-up who's made as much of an impact as you could ask for in many phases of the the game. Like this kid.

6. Greg Childs: Likely won't have any sort of NFL career due to his injuries but the team had the right idea in selecting him.

7. Robert Blanton: Isn't all that long for this roster. Typical projectable late round flier that likely won't work out.

8. Blair Walsh: Very nice rookie season for Walsh. His main issues in college were with consistency so we'll see where he's at next season but at this stage it looks like a nice get.

9. Audie Cole: Flashed some things in camp but hasn't got much run in a poor LB corps. He'll need to come in next season as markedly different player to find a spot on the roster, IMO.

10. Trevor Guyton: Like everyone else, haven't seen enough. Like most all late round DTs, we'll see where he is 2 seasons.

Overall: It's nice at the top as they found two players in Kalil and Smith who'll be long term answers at their positions. Beyond that, they've hopefully got their kicker long term and have two more (Robinson and Ellison) capable role players. It's likely most all out side of those 5 won't be on this roster in 2 years but coming away with 5 players of that caliber is a solid draft. I'd say, right now, it's in the B/B- range given where they were selecting. At those slots it would have been a bit more ideal to come away with a game changer or two. While they picked up sound players, I'm not so sure they really maximized value given the positions selected.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rookie Evaluations Reply with quote

this providence wrote:
10. Trevor Guyton: Like everyone else, haven't seen enough. Like most all late round DTs, we'll see where he is 2 seasons.

You realize we cut him in August, right? I don't think he's even on anyone's practice squad.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guyton was a better fit as a 3-4, 5-tech DE anyway.

Never understood that draft pick.
this providence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rookie Evaluations Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
this providence wrote:

You realize we cut him in August, right? I don't think he's even on anyone's practice squad.

Ha! Did they. I was just assuming he was deactivated every game... Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: