Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AP Weekly Rushing Record Watch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D-Hemi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
i just heard on NBC that after today's game, Peterson says it will be "easy" this year to get 2000 yards.

he's now going for the all time NFL record of 2105 yards in one season.

Shocked

Well now he Jinxed it. Goodluck AP or should we start calling you AP2K or AD2K
PeteyPercyPonde

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Hemi wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
i just heard on NBC that after today's game, Peterson says it will be "easy" this year to get 2000 yards.

he's now going for the all time NFL record of 2105 yards in one season.

Shocked

Well now he Jinxed it. Goodluck AP or shoeld we start calling you AP2K or AD2K

I don't really think Peterson believes in jinxes. When he got drafted he said he wanted to be the best ever. When he got hurt he said he would be back to start the season. Now he wants that record, and quite frankly.....I trust the guy. 505 yards in 3 games. ~170ish a game. No easy task, but if anyone was capable of it, it's #28.
moss_is_1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that Ponder does enough so that Peterson can crack 2k. I'd be really awesome to let him break the single season record, but I'm not counting on that.
Yfz01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlike Peterson, I don't think it will be easy. The streak of huge runs he has had is crazy, and it's probably not going to be something he can do in every game. Someone said the line was worse with Fusco? So I hope we see less of him.

I see Peterson getting 2000 in the same way Chris Johnson did, by forcing him the football over the last few games.

Lil Uno with the sig.
El Raymundo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yfz01 wrote:
I see Peterson getting 2000 in the same way Chris Johnson did, by forcing him the football over the last few games.

I'm ok with that.

"Live as brave men; and if Fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -- Cicero
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If MN doesnt force it to Peterson, I think the forum will be an uproar.

The thing about Peterson this year is he isnt being forced the ball. Prior to last week, he was regularly getting around or under 20 carries a game and still putting up huge numbers.

I think 133 per game is doable but he will need Ponder to play better on the road to keep drives going.
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavy carries typically have negative long-term effects. I don't really like the idea of Peterson getting 30+ carries a game.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
Heavy carries typically have negative long-term effects. I don't really like the idea of Peterson getting 30+ carries a game.

It happened once this year. During Peterson's hot streak, he has gone over 20 carries 4 out of 7 times. He really isnt getting overused, he is just breaking runs and has a ridiculous YPC. Peterson also doesnt get many touches as a receiver. Peterson is right on track in terms of touches for what I would anticipate as acceptable usage. 30+ carries is rare for Peterson.
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

It happened once this year. During Peterson's hot streak, he has gone over 20 carries 4 out of 7 times. He really isnt getting overused, he is just breaking runs and has a ridiculous YPC. Peterson also doesnt get many touches as a receiver. Peterson is right on track in terms of touches for what I would anticipate as acceptable usage. 30+ carries is rare for Peterson.

I'm not complaining yet, I'm just saying I don't want it to become a regular occurence. With Adrian pushing towards 2000 and our lack of faith in Ponder, I wouldn't be surprised if did.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

I'm not complaining yet, I'm just saying I don't want it to become a regular occurence. With Adrian pushing towards 2000 and our lack of faith in Ponder, I wouldn't be surprised if did.

I would expect the closer we get to the conclusion of the season, the more likely 30+ carries could be. One or two more games with 30+ probably wont be too demanding long-term. I wouldnt be worried.
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“@benmaller: Vikings paid RB Adrian Peterson a $1 million bonus after he passed 1,250 yards, however he gets nothing extra for topping 2,000 via Forbes”
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Quote:
“@benmaller: Vikings paid RB Adrian Peterson a $1 million bonus after he passed 1,250 yards, however he gets nothing extra for topping 2,000 via Forbes”

Clearly, Peterson isnt trying to break records for the money. Given Peterson's desire to break Dickerson's record and there being no financial gain for it, its truly amazing the kind of professional and player Peterson is. He truly wants to be the best ever.
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“@RandBall: Weird stat of the day: Adrian Peterson averaging 7.3 yards/carry in losses, 5.2 yards/carry in wins. #vikings”
Kellerman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Quote:
“@RandBall: Weird stat of the day: Adrian Peterson averaging 7.3 yards/carry in losses, 5.2 yards/carry in wins. #vikings”

'Possible' explanation:

Bigger ypa -> less plays run per drive (if drives of the same lenght) -> less time of possesion -> defense out on the field longer -> pass rush is gassed, don't create turnovers

Or it could just be a fluke, but something tells me that unless it's a knock-out blow (like 2 quick td's against the Bears), the Vikings are better of when they can control the pace of the game on offense.

PS: Forgot to mention that the relative 'flukiness' of big running plays compared to passing plays doesn't help either. You can have some big runs early, have a high ypa, but the score can still be close due to not converting. Later in the game, going 3 and out might not hurt the ypa stat that much, but it does kill you in game. In general passing plays average more yards, they are more 'reliable' in that sense, i.e. you'll get more of then during a game, so it's a more sustainable way of generating offense.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. 3-4 of our wins have been heavily dependant on big plays. I think AP has had some high ypc games because he hit a long run early, then we fell behind and gave up on the run. A long run is going to have a more significant impact on ypc when your have fewer carries.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 5 of 24

Jump to: