Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Playoff Race
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chpjns15

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: The Playoff Race Reply with quote

I figured I would make a thread about our playoff chances since its that time of year again. Heres a breakdown of our chances:

Using the playoff machine on ESPN.com, I decipher our playoff situation.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

However, the chances of getting in the playoffs seem to be up to us at this point. If we win out, we could get up to the #2 seed if SF loses to NE and GB looses one game (their opponents are CHI, TEN, and MIN).

We could get the division if we win out and the 49ers lose to the Pats. This would automatically put us at the #3 seed.

We could get the #5 seed in a variety of ways. The most realistic is that we lose to Buffalo, win against SF and STL, and the Giants and Redskins both finish 10-6. (Getting the #5 seed is unlikely)

We could get the #6 seed in many different ways as well. The most likely is that we beat Buffalo and Rams, and lose to the 49ers. Then the Redskins and Giants finish 10-6 and the Bears finish 10-6 or worse.

We could also be out of the playoffs all together in very many ways. If we miss the playoffs, I see it happening by us losing to the 49ers, and then one of either the bills or the Rams. Then Chicago goes 10-6.

Next week will tell us a lot. It is really too hard to look at all of the possibilities at his point.

Those are the most realistic ways we will get into each seed, Ill update it after each week.

What are your thoughts?

"If you can't win, cheat. If you can't cheat, don't play."

"Getting a paper cut, that is tragedy. Someone falling down a sewer and dying, that is comedy."

Last edited by chpjns15 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
outside_Insider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy. Hawks win out...and SF loses to NE, then we have #3 or #4...if the Hawks win out, and the Packers lose 1 we get #2. [/quote]

"We all we got, we all we need"
imani

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thread Idea

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
Brown_Mamba

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 49ers game is gonna be huge. If we win that, we could potentially be the #2 seed. That would give us a HUGE advantage playing at home in the playoffs.

If there is a god, he would let this happen..

Dirk No-Miss-zki fan
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown_Mamba wrote:
That 49ers game is gonna be huge. If we win that, we could potentially be the #2 seed. That would give us a HUGE advantage playing at home in the playoffs.

If there is a god, he would let this happen..
So stoked that I am going to that game.

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
chpjns15

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outside_Insider wrote:

Enjoy. Hawks win out...and SF loses to NE, then we have #3 or #4...if the Hawks win out, and the Packers lose 1 we get #2.
[/quote]

Oops Ill fix that. When I was typing this thread I must have inputted something wrong in the playoff machine, because it told that if the 9ers lose to the pats and we win out, they would still not claim the division Confused

"Getting a paper cut, that is tragedy. Someone falling down a sewer and dying, that is comedy."
outside_Insider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must not have. It's not even a tie breaker. If we win out we're 11-5. If they lose to us and NE then they are 10-5-1.

"We all we got, we all we need"
Dools=hawks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we just have to win 2 to get into the play offs

WINTER IS COMING
Perfundle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Playoff Race Reply with quote

chpjns15 wrote:
If the Bucs somehow win out even with games against the Falcons and Saints and go 10-6, we have the same goal: winning two out of the three games against the Rams, Cards, and 49ers, except we also must win against the Bills.

Seattle does not necessarily win tiebreakers against the Bucs. If TB wins out, and Seattle wins the first three and loses against the Rams, then they tie on conference record and TB wins on common opponents (Rams, Dallas, Minnesota, Carolina; Seattle would go 3-2 and TB 4-1).

Quote:
The only other possibility of us not getting in the playoffs is if the Redskins rally to 9 or 10 wins, but the Giants still manage to win the division. This is because we have the tiebreaker against the Giants, but we dont have it against the Redskins. So if the Redskins win their division, we are in the playoffs, but if the Redskins win 9 or 10 games and dont win their division, we are out of the playoffs.

How does Seattle have a tiebreaker against the Giants? The two teams currently have the same record, and NY has the better conference record, so NY is likely to beat Seattle there. If they tie on that, then you go to common opponents (Dallas, SF, GB, Carolina). NY is 4-1, Seattle will be either 4-1 or 3-2 (or 3-1-1), so again, no advantage there. Only at the next tiebreaker, strength of victory, will Seattle beat NY.

In fact, it's possible that come Seattle's final game, a win means a 2 seed and a loss means no playoffs whatsoever. This is the scenario:

Chicago and Green Bay end up 11-5.
San Francisco loses to NE and Seattle, wins the other two.
Washington wins out.
NYG lose one more game OR TB wins out OR both.
Seattle wins next three games.

If Seattle beats St. Louis, they go to 11-5, beat out SF, Washington, NYG and Tampa on record and GB and Chicago on head-to-head and get second seed.

If Seattle loses, they go to 10-6, lose the division to SF and lose the second wildcard (first one goes to GB or Chicago) to either NY on conference record or TB on common opponents.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDudeAbides wrote:
I know it's unlikely, but it's fun.

The Hawks are still *alive* for the #1 seed in the NFC, folks.

Seattle finishes 4-0 (11-5)
SF finishes 2-2, losing @Sea and @NE (10-5-1)
Green Bay finishes 3-1, losing @Chi or @Min (11-5)
Chicago finishes 3-1, losing @Det (11-5)
NYGiants finish 3-1, losing @Bal (10-6)
Atlanta finishes 0-4 (11-5)

Everything outside the Atlanta line is actually not that crazy (individually not that crazy... but for ALL of those things to happen, it'd take quite a parley card, heh). Even without the Atlanta choke job - this would get us to #2 and a first round bye and guaranteed home game in January.

All the talk out there is Wild Card, but there's no reason not to fight for the division - with or without Sherman!

GO HAWKS!

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
jfinley88

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pretty cool site for the playoffs...

http://playoffrace.com/

Breaks down how each game affects your immediate odds.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Playoff Race Reply with quote

Perfundle wrote:
chpjns15 wrote:
If the Bucs somehow win out even with games against the Falcons and Saints and go 10-6, we have the same goal: winning two out of the three games against the Rams, Cards, and 49ers, except we also must win against the Bills.

Seattle does not necessarily win tiebreakers against the Bucs. If TB wins out, and Seattle wins the first three and loses against the Rams, then they tie on conference record and TB wins on common opponents (Rams, Dallas, Minnesota, Carolina; Seattle would go 3-2 and TB 4-1).

Quote:
The only other possibility of us not getting in the playoffs is if the Redskins rally to 9 or 10 wins, but the Giants still manage to win the division. This is because we have the tiebreaker against the Giants, but we dont have it against the Redskins. So if the Redskins win their division, we are in the playoffs, but if the Redskins win 9 or 10 games and dont win their division, we are out of the playoffs.

How does Seattle have a tiebreaker against the Giants? The two teams currently have the same record, and NY has the better conference record, so NY is likely to beat Seattle there. If they tie on that, then you go to common opponents (Dallas, SF, GB, Carolina). NY is 4-1, Seattle will be either 4-1 or 3-2 (or 3-1-1), so again, no advantage there. Only at the next tiebreaker, strength of victory, will Seattle beat NY.

In fact, it's possible that come Seattle's final game, a win means a 2 seed and a loss means no playoffs whatsoever. This is the scenario:

Chicago and Green Bay end up 11-5.
San Francisco loses to NE and Seattle, wins the other two.
Washington wins out.
NYG lose one more game OR TB wins out OR both.
Seattle wins next three games.

If Seattle beats St. Louis, they go to 11-5, beat out SF, Washington, NYG and Tampa on record and GB and Chicago on head-to-head and get second seed.

If Seattle loses, they go to 10-6, lose the division to SF and lose the second wildcard (first one goes to GB or Chicago) to either NY on conference record or TB on common opponents.

I am just going off of what I found with the playoff machine. I could have made mistakes, but I am pretty sure this is correct.

Dools=hawks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
TheDudeAbides wrote:
I know it's unlikely, but it's fun.

The Hawks are still *alive* for the #1 seed in the NFC, folks.

Seattle finishes 4-0 (11-5)
SF finishes 2-2, losing @Sea and @NE (10-5-1)
Green Bay finishes 3-1, losing @Chi or @Min (11-5)
Chicago finishes 3-1, losing @Det (11-5)
NYGiants finish 3-1, losing @Bal (10-6)
Atlanta finishes 0-4 (11-5)

Everything outside the Atlanta line is actually not that crazy (individually not that crazy... but for ALL of those things to happen, it'd take quite a parley card, heh). Even without the Atlanta choke job - this would get us to #2 and a first round bye and guaranteed home game in January.

All the talk out there is Wild Card, but there's no reason not to fight for the division - with or without Sherman!

GO HAWKS!

crazy to think, really this is already a successful season with a rookie qb

WINTER IS COMING
BBIB

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said in NFL General it all comes down to next week

If Patriots beat the 49ers and you all beat the Bills, you will control your own destiny for a bye week

Although neither game is a slam dunk scenario, it's crazy to think that it's actually a legitimate possibility

The idea of the Seahawks having the 12th man in the post-season and only needin one playoff win to make the NFC Championship, wow just wow
chpjns15

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chances of getting in the playoffs seem to be up to us at this point. If we win out, we could get up to the #2 seed if SF loses to NE and GB looses one game (their opponents are CHI, TEN, and MIN).

We could get the division if we win out and the 49ers lose to the Pats. This would automatically put us at the #3 seed.

We could get the #5 seed in a variety of ways. The most realistic is that we lose to Buffalo, win against SF and STL, and the Giants and Redskins both finish 10-6. (Getting the #5 seed is unlikely)

We could get the #6 seed in many different ways as well. The most likely is that we beat Buffalo and Rams, and lose to the 49ers. Then the Redskins and Giants finish 10-6 and the Bears finish 10-6 or worse.

We could also be out of the playoffs all together in very many ways. If we miss the playoffs, I see it happening by us losing to the 49ers, and then one of either the bills or the Rams. Then Chicago goes 10-6.

Next week will tell us a lot. It is really too hard to look at all of the possibilities at his point.

Those are the most realistic ways we will get into each seed, Ill update it after each week.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: