Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Suh quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coach4fu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Suh quote Reply with quote

I posted this quote in a previous topic but didn't want it to get buried....hope it's ok.

Courtesy of an NFP Sunday Blitz article from the National Football Post.

"Here is what has been lost in all the controversy about Ndamukong Suh, according to one NFC coach: he should be in the Pro Bowl this year. Suh has been a terror on the interior line despite the fact that opponents have concentrated on taking him out of the game. Suh has made plays and he has opened up avenues for teammates to make plays by drawing so much attention." http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-6563.html
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Suh quote Reply with quote

coach4fu wrote:
I posted this quote in a previous topic but didn't want it to get buried....hope it's ok.

"Here is what has been lost in all the controversy about Ndamukong Suh, according to one NFC coach: he should be in the Pro Bowl this year. Suh has been a terror on the interior line despite the fact that opponents have concentrated on taking him out of the game. Suh has made plays and he has opened up avenues for teammates to make plays by drawing so much attention." http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-6563.html
Truth.

Suh is once again living up to his draft status, and contract. When he and Calvin perform the way that they have this season, they are worth every penny we pay them- doesn't matter what their impact is on the cap.

Suh's being doubled the majority of snaps, leaves everyone else in one on one matchups, and is still outproducing the entire DL. Those guys should be ashamed of themselves.
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Suh quote Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
coach4fu wrote:

Truth.

Suh is once again living up to his draft status, and contract. When he and Calvin perform the way that they have this season, they are worth every penny we pay them- doesn't matter what their impact is on the cap.

Suh's being doubled the majority of snaps, leaves everyone else in one on one matchups, and is still outproducing the entire DL. Those guys should be ashamed of themselves.

So very true. Sad that he will probably get any of the recognition he deserves.

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Suh quote Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
coach4fu wrote:

Truth.

So very true. Sad that he will probably get any of the recognition he deserves.
All-Pro is gonna be tight.

He's got: Geno Atkins, Kyle Williams, and Henry Melton to beat out. Gerald McCoy deserves honorable mention as well.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Suh quote Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
coach4fu wrote:

Truth.

In hindsight... do you still wish we gave Avril that contract he wanted?
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Suh quote Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
coach4fu wrote:

Truth.

I don't know what that contract would be, however I do wish we would've given him a long-term deal averaging $10M per season.

Here's the thing. We all know a contract averaging $10M per season does not promise Avril $10M per season. He'd most likely begin that contract with a much lower cap hit, and will be required to meet certain performance and playing criteria in order to earn the maximum potential of his contract.

Avril is a play-maker, and compliments our disruptive interior defensive lineman quite well. His strip/sack has become his signature, and it's quite clear that it isn't luck anymore after forcing 16 fumbles in 5 seasons.

If it weren't for a hamstring injury in 2010, he would be working on his third consecutive double-sack season. He's a guy with high character, and no injury concerns. A guy with that much going on for him is most certainly worth the contract I pushed for last off-season.

My biggest beef is that Mayhew didn't sign him after 2010 when Avril first tried to sign long-term. He'd have a much friendlier cap allocation if Mayhew had the foresight to sign him at that time.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stated on the comparison forum earlier this season, that I believe this has been Suhs best season yet. His rookie season had more stat filler plays, but he has had more of an impact this season. His constant pressure of QBs has been amazing. He's not getting the sack numbers because they are throwing the ball away much quicker than his rookie season when they tried to extend plays. But the result is the same, loss of down without giving up yardage, which is his job and should be applauded the same.

His double teams should be benefitting those around him, but only Fairley seems to be doing anything with the one on one coverage lately. I've really not noticed much out of our DEs this season, which is disappointing. I wouldn't mind activating Ronnell Lewis, putting him at DE next to Suh and see if he can take advantage of the opportunity.

Sig by Smack

2014 ADOPT-A-LION: DEVIN TAYLOR
Jrugges

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with playing Lewis, and even just others more often than KVB at this point. I'm not saying remove KVB from the line-up or even starting role but his snaps need to be taken away for younger players to develope/learn.
imyourGM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrugges wrote:
I agree with playing Lewis, and even just others more often than KVB at this point. I'm not saying remove KVB from the line-up or even starting role but his snaps need to be taken away for younger players to develope/learn.
Ya, I agree. time to let some of the other guys get a crack. I'd really like to see Greenwood out there to for the rest of the season. Best time to do it when your seasons over,right? I'm sure they won't tho..
cibowilson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imyourGM wrote:
Jrugges wrote:
Ya, I agree. time to let some of the other guys get a crack. I'd really like to see Greenwood out there to for the rest of the season. Best time to do it when your seasons over,right? I'm sure they won't tho..

Greenwood is on IR so you won't see him until next year.
imyourGM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cibowilson wrote:
imyourGM wrote:
Jrugges wrote:

for what now? I did not know that.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imyourGM wrote:
cibowilson wrote:
imyourGM wrote:
Jrugges wrote:

for what now? I did not know that.

He never came off the PUP. He was healed from the hernia issue but they didn't feel he was ready to play so they put him on IR.

Adopt-A-Lion - Larry Warford, OG as in Original Gangsta
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting read. Title had me thinking Suh actually said something. Should read Quote about Suh or something.

I do think everyone looks at the boxscore for him after his insane rookie year and thinks he does less.

DT will never really have sexy stats

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Suh quote Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
coach4fu wrote:

Truth.

I don't know what that contract would be, however I do wish we would've given him a long-term deal averaging $10M per season.

Here's the thing. We all know a contract averaging $10M per season does not promise Avril $10M per season. He'd most likely begin that contract with a much lower cap hit, and will be required to meet certain performance and playing criteria in order to earn the maximum potential of his contract.

Avril is a play-maker, and compliments our disruptive interior defensive lineman quite well. His strip/sack has become his signature, and it's quite clear that it isn't luck anymore after forcing 16 fumbles in 5 seasons.

If it weren't for a hamstring injury in 2010, he would be working on his third consecutive double-sack season. He's a guy with high character, and no injury concerns. A guy with that much going on for him is most certainly worth the contract I pushed for last off-season.

My biggest beef is that Mayhew didn't sign him after 2010 when Avril first tried to sign long-term. He'd have a much friendlier cap allocation if Mayhew had the foresight to sign him at that time.

This is a serious, peaceful question: have any of the $10-per-year contracts given to DEs over the last few years been structured this way, where it's mostly performance based? I don't think any agent pushing for a big contract would accept such a structure, considering the risk.

Team Stylish
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Suh quote Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
coach4fu wrote:

Truth.

This is a serious, peaceful question: have any of the $10-per-year contracts given to DEs over the last few years been structured this way, where it's mostly performance based? I don't think any agent pushing for a big contract would accept such a structure, considering the risk.
By performance based, you understand that non-guaranteed contracts accomplishes this exact protection for teams right???

Tamba Hali signed a 5 year, $57M contract with only $35M guaranteed. On the surface, it appears he's in-line for a little more than $11M per season. All the Chiefs are actually on the hook for is an average of $7M per season. If it doesn't appear to be working out, KC can cut their losses long before Tamba collects $57M.

Same with Chris Long. He signed a 5 year, $60M contract. Only $36.7M was guaranteed. So instead of owing him $12M per season, in reality it's only a $7.3M per season deal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: