Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The "I Spent Way Too Long on This Thing" Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JSMcTilty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: The "I Spent Way Too Long on This Thing" Mock Reply with quote

Lions finish at 6-10, receive #9 overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. Lions are also awarded a 4th compensatory pick for Eric Wright.

Lions enter the offseason with $117 million tied up in salary cap.

• Lions sign Stafford to a 7 year, $114 million dollar extension (frees up $11.3 million).
• Lions restructure Calvin Johnson (frees up $3 million).
• Lions release KVB (frees up $5 million), Nate Burleson (saves $2.5 million), Stephen Peterman (saves $2.65 million), Drayton Florence (saves $1.5 million), Titus Young (saves $100k) and Jeff Backus (saves $7.15 million).
• Jahvid Best retires (saves $2.5 million).
Total Cap space now available: $38.7 million

Re-sign:
CB Chris Houston: 4yrs, $25 million
S Louis Delmas: 3yrs, $10 million (contract includes playing time incentives)
S Amari Speivey: 1yr, $1 million
OT Gosder Cherilus: 4yrs, $19 million
OLB Justin Durant: 3yrs, $8 million
OLB Ashlee Palmer: 1yr, $700k
DT Sammie Lee Hill: 4 yrs, $8 million
DE Lawrence Jackson: 3 yrs, $4.5 million
OT Jason Fox: 2yrs, $1.8 million
OT: Corey Hilliard: 2yrs, $1.8 million
RB Joique Bell: 2 yrs, $2 million
RB Kevin Smith: 1 yr, $800k
DE Willie Young: 2 yr, $1.7 million
LS Don Muhlbach: 2 yr, 1.6 million
Total cap charge: $25 million

Let walk:
Cliff Avril – Gets a big FA deal from another team, Lions can’t match it
Corey Williams – Fairley takes over starting spot, CW wants to much to be a backup
Stefan Logan - Finally
Deandre Levy
Nick Harris
Pat Lee
Jacob Lacey
Don Carey
Kassim Osgood

Notable FA signings:
OG Andy Levitre: 5yrs, $22.5 million – Levitre is the top OG free agent available, and Mayhew sees the opportunity to upgrade the interior OL by replacing Peterman. Levitre is a very good pass blocker and an above average run blocker, and is a very dependable guard.
S William Moore: 4yrs, $15 million – Moore isn’t a big household name, but he has stood out this year for the Falcons. The Lions know they can’t ignore the secondary any longer and go out and get a playmaker next to Delmas.
CB Bradley Fletcher: 3yrs, $8 million – Fletcher has always been a solid corner, and has looked good in limited playing time this year with the Rams. Although he was pushed down the depth chart in St. Louis by Finnegan and Jenkins, Fletcher has shown that he can be a solid starter.
Total Cap Charge: $11 million

2013 NFL Draft
Lions trade the #9 overall pick (1350) to Dallas for the #20 overall pick (850), 2nd round pick (380), and 3rd round pick (170).

1.) Bjoern Werner, DE (FSU) - Avril and KVB leave, so Mayhew and Co. grab a guy who can pickup the slack. Werner had a very nice year with 13 sacks and applying constant pressure to the QB. He’s only been playing football for 5 years, so his full potential has yet to be seen.
2a.) Barrett Jones, OC (Alabama) – While Jones is not quite as good of a prospect as Alex Mack or Mike Pouncey, he is the best center in the class and BPA at the beginning of the second round. Jones will likely start the season behind Raiola as he learns the offense, but will be able to take over the starting spot before long.
2b.) CJ Mosley, OLB (Alabama) – The Lions had to let one of either Durant or Levy go, so they are left with an opening at one of the OLB spots. Mosley can come in and take over the spot right away as a stout run defender and very good against the pass.
3a.) Tavon Austin, WR/RB/KR (WVU) – This guy has been compared a lot to Percy Harvin, and everyone who has seen Austin play knows that he is electric. However, Austin’s small size (5’8”, 174lbs) limits what his role in an offense can be. This allows him to fall to the beginning of the 3rd round. The Lions plan to use him in the “Jahvid Best” role out of the backfield and lining him up in the slot.
3b.) Tank Carradine, DE (FSU) – Carradine had the potential to be a first round pick but tore his ACL at the end of the season. He is a good value when the Lions can pick him up in the 3rd, and should be ready to play within the first couple weeks of the regular season.
4.) Phillip Thomas, S (Fresno St.) – Thomas led the country with 8 interceptions, but is flying under the radar because of the number of good safeties ranked ahead of him (Reid, Vaccaro, Jefferson, etc.). The Lions recognize the injury risk of Delmas and pick up an above average backup safety who could end up seeing the field often.
5.) Quinton Patton, WR (LA Tech) – Patton is a receiver with size (6’2”, 195) from a small school who could develop into a nice receiver. His size would give the Lions an option in red zone other than CJ or Pettigrew.
6.) AJ Francis, DT (Maryland) – Francis is a developmental tackle who will fill out the rotation on the DLine.
7.) Ryan Allen, P (LA Tech) – I admittedly haven’t seen much of Allen, but everywhere I look he is the top rated punter in this draft class. Lions need an upgrade from Nick Harris.

Depth Chart *Starters in Red
QB: Stafford, Hill, Moore
WR: Johnson, Broyles, Austin, Patton, Thomas, Edwards
RB: LeShoure, Bell, Smith
TE: Pettigrew, Scheffler, Heller
OT: Reiff, Cherilus, Fox, Hilliard
OG: Sims, Levitre, Nagy
OC: Raiola, Jones

DT: Suh, Fairley, SLH, Francis
DE: Werner, Jackson, Carradine, Young, Lewis
OLB: Durant, Mosley, Whitehead, Palmer
MLB: Tulloch, Lewis
CB: Houston, Fletcher, Bentley, Green, Greenwood
S: Delmas, Moore, Thomas, Silva, Spievey

LS: Mulbach
K: Hanson
P: Allen
[/img]

**Money Info** No idea how accurate it is, but it looks like he knows what he's talking about
http://kentskorner.nflen.com/2012/12/2013-silver-lining.html

Last edited by JSMcTilty on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrRay11

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. You stole my first two picks and big FA signing. Thanks a lot. Laughing

Seriously though, good job. I'll have to dress mine up more since they're so similar. I expect Patton to go a lot sooner, though, so there's that.

Retiring Best also does not save any money. His bonus acceleration would actually cause a cap casualty of.. I think... around 300k. He will go on IR again if anything.
JSMcTilty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
LOL. You stole my first two picks and big FA signing. Thanks a lot. Laughing

Seriously though, good job. I'll have to dress mine up more since they're so similar. I expect Patton to go a lot sooner, though, so there's that.

Haha great minds think alike I guess. Thanks though!

Yeah I wasn't sure about Patton, I heard anywhere from rounds 3-5 on him, so I was being optimistic lol
Jrugges

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this mock. Love the depth at DE we'll have, good young LB'er, possible franchise C. Few things though, Personally i think Jones easilly starts over Riaola if he's on the roster even.

Patton will prolly go higher, especailly if he runs in the 4.4's, and I hate Austin but the Lions love little gaget type WR's. Not sure I'd even bring Speivey back, he's got scrambled brains like Best and should retire imo.
JSMcTilty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrugges wrote:
I like this mock. Love the depth at DE we'll have, good young LB'er, possible franchise C. Few things though, Personally i think Jones easilly starts over Riaola if he's on the roster even.

Patton will prolly go higher, especailly if he runs in the 4.4's, and I hate Austin but the Lions love little gaget type WR's. Not sure I'd even bring Speivey back, he's got scrambled brains like Best and should retire imo.

Thanks! I agree Jones should start, but I can see them taking a similar line with him as they did with Reiff - letting him learn the system and slowly work his way into the starting line up.

I'm on the fence with Speivey too, and it would probably be in his best interest to retire, but I can see him giving it one more go.
stylish313

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like both your draft, and F/A signings.

I do believe that Schwartz and Mayhew would stay loyal and re-sign Levy, before they'd let him walk and retain Durant.

Nice work though
GeneralTso

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it overall, but I have a hard time believing the front office will roll with 2 new starters at DE, especially one as a rookie.

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Yeah, [Mike] Wallace would be like 4th fastest on the Raiders.
ironduke

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KVB is due a lot of bonus money. Releasing him next season will affect the cap in a big way
qball8001

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the KVB hit if we cut him is 6 million, but that is over two years I believe.

I keep hearing that B. Jones may go in the top 15. What makes you think he will slide to the second round?
stylish313

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qball8001 wrote:
I think the KVB hit if we cut him is 6 million, but that is over two years I believe.

I keep hearing that B. Jones may go in the top 15. What makes you think he will slide to the second round?
Barret Jones will not go that high. Chance Warmack will, because he's an elite prospect.

Odds are Jones will go bottom of the 1st, top of the 2nd, just as has many of the other top center prospects have.
JSMcTilty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
I really like both your draft, and F/A signings.

I do believe that Schwartz and Mayhew would stay loyal and re-sign Levy, before they'd let him walk and retain Durant.

Nice work though

GeneralTso wrote:
I like it overall, but I have a hard time believing the front office will roll with 2 new starters at DE, especially one as a rookie.

Thanks guys!

qball8001 wrote:

Like Stylish said, from everyone I talked to/everything I've read B. Jones is a late 1st or early 2nd round prospect. I've never seen anyone with him in the top 15, maybe you're thinking of Warmack who's also from Alabama?

As far as KVB, this is what it said in the link at the bottom of my original post:

Kyle Vanden Bosch
2013 Cap Hit: $10,686,250
2013 Projected Cap Penalty: $5,723,750
Projected Savings: $4,962,500

I have no idea how accurate it is, but that's where I got all my numbers from.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt any of those players last that long. I like it, but I cant see it happenning.

R.I.P. Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all the players no doubt. I simply have an issue with any mock that does not address secondary in first few rounds.

That is the biggest weakness of this team.

There is a ton of needs and you hit them just think secondary is biggest need

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
I doubt any of those players last that long. I like it, but I cant see it happenning.

Same thing is said every single year. Draft rolls around and people are like why is this guy dropping? UDFA? What?

Seriously arguing draft position is too hard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: