Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 NFL Draft-Mock drafts only
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 61, 62, 63  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mse326

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
canyon1 wrote:
Its not a huge need but if TEO gets to ten i say we trade up for him pair him with Cushing that equals two headed monster

Waste for a two down ILB, IMO. Not like we're gonna play him the same amount of snaps that we play Cushing; the 2nd ILB comes off the field on passing downs (one of the reasons 'Meco was expendable).

Teo is a very good player, and if we were slated to lose Cushing, he'd be the guy I'd want at the ILB spot. Given that our ILB doesn't see the field as much as other ILBs, I'd pass and let Daryl Sharpton continue his rise to starter.

I agree we shouldn't do it.

But if we did we'd change our defense a bit. He wouldn't be a two down linebacker because he can cover TEs. We'd go to nickel less and let Quin cover the slot guy some instead of the TE.

So while a normal formation has us
Joseph- Cover WR 1
Jackson- Cover WR 2
McCain- Cover slot
Quin- Cover TE
Manning- Rome deep

We'd simply put Teo on the TE and Quin on the slot guy. It would help us in run defense so this would be used when a run or pass is a viable option. McCain (or our nickel in general) would only be on in 4 receiver sets or obvious passing downs.

There is another formation we'd likely use fairly often, in more passing situations. Nickel formation (with McCain) but instead of removing the ILB (Teo) you remove the NT. Barwin and Reed are the ends in a 4 man front and Watt and Smith play inside.

So I think relegating him to a 2 down linebacker isn't true. We'd change up the packages we use to have him on the field more than we did with Ryans or our other ILBs who can't cover worth anything.

#JDI
kenney

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of drafting Kiko Alonso in the second round. Even if the guy ends up being only a 2-down player, we clearly need more reliable depth at ILB. Sharpton has been solid in coming back from an injury, but we can't rely on the rest of our depth chart to be filled out by ten year veterans, all of whom are playing at their absolute peaks right now.

Dobbins, Ruud, and even James have been pleasant surprises down the stretch, but it's suicidal to rely on guys like this consistently. I don't advocate trading up for Te'o, but I do think ILB is a priority.

Kenney>Everyone else on here
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason you don't trade up for Keo is in this: the smart, and only way IMO, that you should trade up player is if they slip beyond their perceived value point (you could even argue way beyond). With Teo coming off a possible heisman performance, maybe having a dominant performance in the NCG on top of all the other accolades from this year, I don't see that as a possibility. The probability lies in him being overdrafted, not under, IMO.

Did you feel the mountains tremble?

EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this about two months ago:

EliteTexan80 wrote:
I'll put this at the end - do not be shocked if there is a 5-Tech DE who falls to us in the 1st and we pull the trigger on 'em. SMU's Margus Hunt is a name that is so interesting - former Olympian in track and field for Romania, picked up football once his funding stopped from Romania, a 6' 8", 280 lb FREAK of nature who has reportedly timed in at 4.6 in the 40, along with a reported 25 reps - AT 315 LBS. I doubt he makes it out of the top 20 after his Combine showing, but if he were to slip somewhere in the late 20-30 range, the Texans will select him. He's very raw (much like Watt and Mercilius were) with a non-stop motor, high work ethic, and athletic skills that you simply can't teach.

I've admittedly not seen much of the guy. Any thoughts on him? Don't think he's a top 32 player, might be at the bottom end of the top 64 - but any notes on his actual game performance? IIRC, he's the NCAA All Time leader in blocked FGs, right? Seems like a quirky stat we tend to lean on (Watt and his swats in college, Mercilius and his FFs in college...)

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:

EliteTexan80 wrote:
I'll put this at the end - do not be shocked if there is a 5-Tech DE who falls to us in the 1st and we pull the trigger on 'em. SMU's Margus Hunt is a name that is so interesting - former Olympian in track and field for Romania, picked up football once his funding stopped from Romania, a 6' 8", 280 lb FREAK of nature who has reportedly timed in at 4.6 in the 40, along with a reported 25 reps - AT 315 LBS. I doubt he makes it out of the top 20 after his Combine showing, but if he were to slip somewhere in the late 20-30 range, the Texans will select him. He's very raw (much like Watt and Mercilius were) with a non-stop motor, high work ethic, and athletic skills that you simply can't teach.

I've admittedly not seen much of the guy. Any thoughts on him? Don't think he's a top 32 player, might be at the bottom end of the top 64 - but any notes on his actual game performance? IIRC, he's the NCAA All Time leader in blocked FGs, right? Seems like a quirky stat we tend to lean on (Watt and his swats in college, Mercilius and his FFs in college...)

A Baylor RSFreshman LT destroyed him all game. And I mean destroyed. He had like 2 tackles and no pressures or hurries. Spencer Drango is gonna probably be a first round player, but that is my only impression of Hunt.

Did you feel the mountains tremble?

kenney

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunt was decent last year against A&M. He was pretty terrible this year.

I'm not inclined to give Joe Marciano any more draft picks, either.

lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comp picks get announced mid March, but we can all still guess what round picks will get. A 3rd for Mario is almost certain, then then possible a 5th for Dressen, and possibly a 6th for Brisel. That gives us

1/2/3/3/4/5/5/6/6/7

With a first for this regime coming this training camp, they cut a draft pick 6th round pick Nick Mondek.

While I know we have alot of guys coming up in FA like Connor, GQ, Casey, and McCain, I think we bring back all but Connor and McCain.

We think the organization is high on G/C Cody White, RB Grimes along with all the young WR's.

So where does that put us?

QB - I could see us drafting a guy if he falls especially since we have a ton of picks.

RB- Like QB we might draft a guy late if the value is that high or most likely bring in some UDFA's to become the PS RB, Arian and Grimes will be 1 and 3 on the depth chart and Tate and Forsett will battle it out for #2 with Tate most likely getting traded, which gives us another 2nd or 3rd round pick!

WR- While I know think Jean has #1 capabilities, I dont think Kub and Rick put a high priority on having a true #1 WR, rather we just have weapons all over the field. We might draft a WR mid-late round

TE- Depending on what happens to Casey in FA is how high this is. If he stays will draft one late. If he leaves will draft one mid round. Who's the draft eligible Wisconsin TE?

OT- Ryan Harris is serviceable, but we need more talent at the tackle position. Even Kub said his heart skipped a beat when he saw 76 laying on the ground. This makes me believe we got 1st or 2nd round tackle, and I'm with ET on Ricky Wagner out of Wisconsin he screams our type of pick.

OG- Wade Smith has taken a step back, but I think he still starts next year and it give Brooks another year to mature, maybe even take over at some point in the season is Wade losses another step. Jones has had an up an down rookie season, but shows promise. And then there's Cody White. So why we might take a flyer on a guy late, cause that's what we do, I doubt he makes the team.

C- Myers has the position for a while and Jones was though to be his successor, and im not a big fan of moving established guys around in their careers, so I think we grab a C that can play guard.

DE - This is a big offseason for Smith, I've started to lean towards the keeping him, and even give him 3 more years to try and lower next years cap. Then there's Mr. Watt who's an animal. We seem to have found something in Crick, and the sticky situation it Jamison, who just signed an extension then goes out for the year. You never know when someone like Crick drops so low that the value is to high to pass up.

DT- We all know we need a new one, especially with Cody being a FA and we can get a cheap replacement in the draft for him. Sorry Shaun you're not apart of the Smith Core Group. Now there's some debate on when we draft one and there's certainly some headliners in the class, and maybe we trade up for the guy from Ohio St, or Georgia. Personally I LOVE the NT from Notre Dame #9 (sorry dont know his name)

OLB- As I mentioned earlier I think we let Connor walk or sign him real cheap. Whatever happens I think that makes OLB a need. We don't really have a guy that can just beat you like a Ware, all our guys are hussle guys and that's where I think the D is getting held back.

MLB - Shaprtons played great and will probably bring either Dobbins or James back (hopefully not both Pray ) cause we need some young blood at the position.

CB - We still have Kareem for another year plus a club option year. JJoe is fine and Harris should replace McCain in the slot. That's 3 CB's will bring in a young guy late in the draft to compete with Roc and then bring back a vet.

S - I hope we bring GQ back, Manning has been great and Demps is serviceable but can def be a upgrade spot. There's some good S's in the 1st/2nd round range this year and I wouldnt be surprised if we draft one.

K - Bullock is the future and hopefully he has the impact like his fellow rookies have had this year, next year. (Tucker, Zuerlien, Walsh)

P - I love what Donnie has been doing, but we can save some change and lock down the position for a decade with the drafting of a P late. Look at Anger in Jacksonville.
buckwild

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nix is the NT from Notre Dame, and the priority for us needs to be in the trenches OL, NT, and ILB.

T'eo is a Top 5 pick, and is drawing comparisons to Junior Seau so we don't have a chance at him unless we give up the farm for him. No, Thanks!

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:

EliteTexan80 wrote:

A 3-4 DE everyone should look at is Sheldon Richardson-DT from Missouri 6'04" and 295 lbs. with long arms, good speed, and non stop motor. That sound like anyone we know? 2 guys like that on the same team would almost be unfair.
canyon1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I look at our offense sputter at times I am starting to think that we need to use our first two picks on offense then go D the rest of the way and find some diamonds in the rough ... I am not to happy with the crop of players on the offense side of the ball so if we were to go offense be better go early and take Kubiak and Dennison type players to make our offense feared... Yes we score points but nothing really scares me its just our guys knowing the system and they have done it so much its like a well coached high school team... Get more players that are geared for that bec our system can be difficult. Then go defense and hopefully get some more pieces there ... We have our studs now we need guys that just play good football... I am a defensive guy but i dont want to be like some other teams that neglect their offense and all of a sudden we have a great D that looks bad bec Offense cant sustain a drive... We need balance and i am starting to realize that. If we do WR and OL in first two rounds would be real good ... then BPA on defense ..., BUT that probably leaves a HUGE hole at DT and that needs to be addressed as well so depends on what they do in FA I know we have no cap but Smith needs to work his magic.
MLB: Tigers
NHL: Red Wings
NCAAB: Michigan
NCAAF: Michigan
longhorntexan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not in draft mode yet, but I will say Texas is sending two guys that may or may not be around when we pick in Alex Okafor and Kenny Vacarro. Some people say Okafor could spin up to linebacker, but I thinks he's an end all the way, 4-3 or 3-4 and nothing truly stands out but hes a solid player that would be good value towards the end of the first but not a need with Smith, Crick, Watt still here. Vacarro may go a little higher but he might be there in the 20s. Safety who can bring the wood and can actually cover pretty well as we spin him down to nickel a lot. I don't particularly like his attitude as he talks trash on twitter a lot and I think that he thinks that hes better than he actually is, but if we let Quin walk he could be a solid pick in the first also.

I really don't know where they're slotted to go, but my general feel is late first for both of them.

If we're inclined to go receiver, my vote is for Tavon Austin. That cat is electric. Only knock is he is kind of small.
canyon1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavon Austin will not be a Texan he is not built for our system and we have a slot reciever that coach is in love with in MARTIN. Now a later round pick in the 3-4 range Marcus Davis is an interesting WR out of Virginia Tech. Doesnt have the numbers but his QB wasnt playing well at all this year so maybe something to look at at 6'4 232 with speed sounds like a WR Houston would jump at the opportunity for.
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like WR Jordan Matthews from Vanderbilt.
I also like LB Chase Thomas in the first round.

LORK88
canyon1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly dont know anything about Jordan Matthews so I cant give my thoughts on him, but Chase Thomas is someone I see the Texans taking a hard look at he seems like he can play anywhere on our defense. Seems like Cushing in a way he has a long way to go to get to Cushing status but the ability to play DE, OLB, ILB is nice to have and if he can do the things Cush can then SOLD. I dont know why I am not a fan but nothing really impresses me about him. If we took him I wouldnt be upset i just would want to see what Wade see's in him. I was more of a fan of Shayne Skov but I would be happy with Thomas.
kenney

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canyon1 wrote:
I honestly dont know anything about Jordan Matthews so I cant give my thoughts on him, but Chase Thomas is someone I see the Texans taking a hard look at he seems like he can play anywhere on our defense. Seems like Cushing in a way he has a long way to go to get to Cushing status but the ability to play DE, OLB, ILB is nice to have and if he can do the things Cush can then SOLD. I dont know why I am not a fan but nothing really impresses me about him. If we took him I wouldnt be upset i just would want to see what Wade see's in him. I was more of a fan of Shayne Skov but I would be happy with Thomas.

Actually, of the Stanford defenders, I'd really prefer Trent Murphy. He strikes me as the Clay Matthews to Chase Thomas' Brian Cushing.

Murphy is versatile and athletic and seems like the perfect player to play either 5-tech or OLB in Wade's scheme.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Page 6 of 63

Jump to: